Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Unicornucopia
    • By Unicornucopia 5th Jul 11, 10:49 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Unicornucopia
    • 5th Jul 11, 10:49 PM
    Declutter!
    • 5th Jul 11, 10:49 PM
    The past two house moves have been a nightmare. This time I've been given a year to declutter as we are downsizing. I'm making a fortune on eBay but it's only having a limited impact space-wise. I must get more ruthless or we'll be spending a fortune on removals including stuff still in boxes from the last house move (10 years ago!)
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 07-07-2011 at 11:56 AM.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 5th Jul 11, 11:44 PM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 37,222 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 5th Jul 11, 11:44 PM
    • 5th Jul 11, 11:44 PM
    An OS tip I learned from my parents: Measure existing curtains and carpets carefully, they may well fit the 'new' house.
    Last time we moved I was able to shorten two pairs of curtains, re-hang several others and had three carpets cut to fit the new rooms. This meant that we didn't have to rush out & buy straight away.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • aloiseb
    • By aloiseb 6th Jul 11, 12:18 AM
    • 692 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    aloiseb
    • 6th Jul 11, 12:18 AM
    Check your surveys before exchanging....
    • 6th Jul 11, 12:18 AM
    Sounds obvious to have a survey done. We really thought we had had a full survey on our 80 year old house, before we bought it, but it turned out that the building society giving us our mortgage had made a mistake and ticked the box for the Home Buyer's Survey only (the cheaper one).

This meant that our survey did not include comments about woodworm and rewiring (to mention the 2 biggest issues). If we had realised in time, we would have dropped our offer price. Sadly we did not, and assumed everything was OK because the BS told us the survey was fine........we found out a few days before completion, and arranged our own full survey, but by then of course we couldn't change the price.

Their little mistake cost us several thousand pounds. I wonder if we should have sued them....we were feeling too exhausted to be savvy at the time.
    • oramgepekoe
    • By oramgepekoe 6th Jul 11, 4:35 AM
    • 567 Posts
    • 276 Thanks
    oramgepekoe
    • 6th Jul 11, 4:35 AM
    • 6th Jul 11, 4:35 AM
    Use up all the food in your freezer and cupboards to save chucking it out when you move.
    • GrahamB
    • By GrahamB 6th Jul 11, 7:36 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    GrahamB
    • 6th Jul 11, 7:36 AM
    • 6th Jul 11, 7:36 AM
    Use up all the food in your freezer and cupboards to save chucking it out when you move.
    Originally posted by oramgepekoe
    But surely the removal companies these days will accept transporting freezers with food in them? Food shouldn't spoil if not switched off (short moving distance) for too long.
  • 36ros
    • 6th Jul 11, 7:49 AM
    • 6th Jul 11, 7:49 AM
    my daughter has just left home for the first time and needed everything,we joined a local internet group called freecycle,she has now nearly kitted out her flat and best of all for free.what a brilliant idea,less land fill ,and helping those who need it.
    • julie777
    • By julie777 6th Jul 11, 8:44 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    julie777
    • 6th Jul 11, 8:44 AM
    Freecycle
    • 6th Jul 11, 8:44 AM
    my daughter has just left home for the first time and needed everything,we joined a local internet group called freecycle,she has now nearly kitted out her flat and best of all for free.what a brilliant idea,less land fill ,and helping those who need it.
    Originally posted by 36ros
    ALSO if you have stuff to get rid of at the last minute OFFER it on freecycle and usually someone will take it within 24 hours. You do have to check your emails and arrange a time with the taker.
    By the way if you cannot find freecycle look under yahoo groups. It's gr8
    • julie777
    • By julie777 6th Jul 11, 8:54 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    julie777
    • 6th Jul 11, 8:54 AM
    Packing up yourself?
    • 6th Jul 11, 8:54 AM
    If you are going for a DIY move as we always do:-
    1) Tell all your family + friends - we had 15 people turn up to help on the day and others who helped before and after. Another friend brought round lunch for them all!
    2) Start packing early.
    3) Small boxes which can fit back in your cupboards are best then you won't be tripping over them AND they won't be so heavy.
    4) Books are fine in carrier bags (doubled up)
    5) Use glossy magazines for wrapping delicate stuff and crockery then if you are like me you won't feel the need to wash it all at the other end.
    6) Freecycle or Ebay stuff you won't be needing.
    7) Start early with an organized list of who to contact and maybe print off some "Change of Address" letters.

STAY CALM AND HAVE A GREAT MOVE !!!
  • matthewcarlrose
    Take the week after off is my advice!

Matt
  • Kittendreich
    My biggest tip for the day of the move is to make sure you have a box with stuff you will need last & first in it. i.e. food stuff (kettle, teabags, coffee, milk, juice, snacks, mugs, plates, cutlery & takeaway menu), your bed (or somethign to sleep on...last thing to pack and should be the first thing you unpack so at the end of the day you can crash out) & a radio (or something to listen to while unpacking)... That covers the basics for day one!
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 07-07-2011 at 11:59 AM.
    • golddustmedia
    • By golddustmedia 6th Jul 11, 10:30 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    golddustmedia
    Separate out the kettle, mugs, tea/coffee/softdrinks and maybe some biscuits into a separate bag/box and make sure that is packed last or at least easily accessible. You'll need it at the other end, or if using removal men they'll immediately want a cuppa on arrival!

For the cost of 3 a tesco value kettle is a decent backup option if you're DIY moving and doing several car loads between houses so need to leave the kettle available at the old house!
    • golddustmedia
    • By golddustmedia 6th Jul 11, 10:36 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 374 Thanks
    golddustmedia
    Buy a roll of masking tape or similar before you move, as you will undoubtedly pick up a piece of furniture at some point on which the drawers/doors will open while you're carrying it. Masking tape them shut before you lift it!
    • nakiwala123
    • By nakiwala123 6th Jul 11, 11:28 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    nakiwala123
    Here is one that i found on another thread that I found rather helpful.

'I gave the new owners a few sheets of Avery labels pre-printed with our new address to forward anything that fell "between the cracks" during the Royal Mail redirection. There was a surprising amount, as we'd forgotten to change all our magazine subscriptions. Also useful because you will get birthday cards and Christmas cards from people you don't often hear from long after you've moved and stopped the Royal Mail service. We could have just left our address, but the pre-printed labels hopefully made it really quick and easy .

I had the hoover and a box of cleaning products alongside the usual box of moving essentials (tea, kettle, mugs, loo paper, lightbulbs, dinner for the first night and so on) along with me in the car. It meant I could give the new place a quick once-over before all the heavy furniture was set down.

I boxed up our most precious sentimental things and gave them to a friend for safekeeping so they didn't get broken or go missing in the chaos of the move.

I wish I'd remembered to change my Amazon delivery details on one-click. My new parcels were delivered to my old address, duh. This was nearly as bad as my friend who moved from Liverpool to London and then realised she'd left her drycleaning behind, still in the shop!

I wish I'd packed a few complete changes of clothes so things weren't such a scramble the first few days, before I got the wardrobes sorted. If you were moving at this time of year, extra clothes for unseasonal weather might also be useful. '
    • nakiwala123
    • By nakiwala123 6th Jul 11, 11:34 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    nakiwala123
    Link to a similar thread that was started last year. I have actually printed the whole thread and added it to the folder of when I'm ready to sell.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=36196317#post36196317
    • nakiwala123
    • By nakiwala123 6th Jul 11, 11:35 AM
    • 164 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    nakiwala123
    I meant for I'm ready to buy!!
    • MrGumby
    • By MrGumby 6th Jul 11, 11:35 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    MrGumby
    Measure everything
    You probably spent ages deciding what height to position pictures, mirrors, wall lights, wall-mounted furniture, etc. Make notes for when you hang them in the new house.

Also, even if you're using professional removers, pack small things yourself into boxes (boxes that the removers can pack into bigger crates). Number the boxes and make an inventory, to make it easier to find things when you unpack.
    • MrGumby
    • By MrGumby 6th Jul 11, 11:43 AM
    • 162 Posts
    • 112 Thanks
    MrGumby
    Sounds obvious to have a survey done. We really thought we had had a full survey on our 80 year old house, before we bought it, but it turned out that the building society giving us our mortgage had made a mistake and ticked the box for the Home Buyer's Survey only (the cheaper one).
    Originally posted by aloiseb
    Yes, but you may well do better to commission a separate survey than rely on your mortgage valuer. Get quotes from several surveyors local to the property and seek references.

Also, if you can, accompany the surveyor and chat to him/her. You'll pick up all sorts of gems that they'll be happy to say in conversation but not put in a report.

In fact, if there's nothing much wrong with the house, they'll probably agree to reduce their fee substantially if you decide you don't want a written report. One caution on that option, though - you'll have difficulty getting any compensation out of them, if it turns out they missed something.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 6th Jul 11, 12:09 PM
    • 7,339 Posts
    • 10,748 Thanks
    surfsister
    The past two house moves have been a nightmare. This time I've been given a year to declutter as we are downsizing. I'm making a fortune on eBay but it's only having a limited impact space-wise. I must get more ruthless or we'll be spending a fortune on removals including stuff still in boxes from the last house move (10 years ago!)
    Originally posted by Unicornucopia

I'll send my daughter round she's a master just throws everything into the charity shop bag and bans me from looking in!! Says I'd get it all out again! Probably true!
    • Thefunkygibbons
    • By Thefunkygibbons 6th Jul 11, 12:27 PM
    • 1,362 Posts
    • 758 Thanks
    Thefunkygibbons
    Make a list

There are so many things that you will forget and then wake up screaming in the middle of the night, "Where's the cat?"
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 07-07-2011 at 12:00 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

44Posts Today

2,728Users online

Martin's Twitter