Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge 26th May 11 at 10:29 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2011 at 8:18 PM.
Page 39
    • TheThriftyScrumpers
    • By TheThriftyScrumpers 29th Jun 11, 12:09 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    TheThriftyScrumpers
    Winged One

I had broad beans in my veg box for two weeks. I made a broad bean and pesto soup and broad bean pesto. Both were yummy. The home made pesto recipe would be especially good for you as I don't think a child could tell it was broad beans and you could then use some pasta and chicken, or prawns? If you go to www.abelandcole.co.uk, click on the recipe tag at the top of the page and scroll down to beans (broad) recipes you should hopefully find something that takes your fancy. Hope this helps.
    GC Mar 11 437.08Apr 11 459.26 May 11 485.52 June 11 423.79July 11 409.22 Aug 11 250.10Sept 11 396.14Oct 11 382.37Nov 11 372.55Dec 11 332.29 Jan 12 375.19:Feb 12 349.58Mar 12 279.66Apr 12 249.12May 12 337.66/Jun 12 362.58/Jul 12 317.03/Aug 12 354.02/Sept 439.72/Oct 12 210.16
    • TheThriftyScrumpers
    • By TheThriftyScrumpers 29th Jun 11, 12:16 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    TheThriftyScrumpers
    Declaring for June
    Declaring for June please at 423.79

Pleased with that as only 3.79 over. I went a bit mad at the Farmers Market and treated us to some fish and samphire but it was lovely.

Also wanted to report that I went to SuperDr4g today after receiving my weekly email. I managed to get loads of the bargains that were listed. I got ten items including branded toothpaste, toothbrushes, Shampoo and Conditioner all for 1.99!!! It was worth going over budget for. The shop assistant scowled at me, especially when I put back some toothbrushes that went through full price and then went back for more 20p tubes of aquafr4sh and kids colg4te
    GC Mar 11 437.08Apr 11 459.26 May 11 485.52 June 11 423.79July 11 409.22 Aug 11 250.10Sept 11 396.14Oct 11 382.37Nov 11 372.55Dec 11 332.29 Jan 12 375.19:Feb 12 349.58Mar 12 279.66Apr 12 249.12May 12 337.66/Jun 12 362.58/Jul 12 317.03/Aug 12 354.02/Sept 439.72/Oct 12 210.16
  • RachelS
    Please may I join for July, I'd like to go down for 240 please, that's for 4 of us plus 2 cats. Thanks.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 29th Jun 11, 12:34 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    been a very busy day went to the soft play area with the older 2's nursery so was a busy morning, then another mummy menationed a happy meal and all was ok til i menationed lunch then it was requested, after i suggested everything else i could think of i gave up and went and got them one, they don't ask that often and we havent got them one in ages and it seemed like a better idea than him eating nothing then being cross all afternoon, it was 12 however the nursury refunded us 4 (which was included in junes budget) so really i only spent 8, they finsih nursery tomorrow which will save us on desil and nursery money

dinner is chicken casarole with mash and mixed veg

does anyone have a good fish batter recipe? we have 6 really good big sized pollick (is that how u spell it?) were gonna fillet them and pan fry them then batter them will also keep some plain to top with philly and chives i have no idea how i'm gonna freeze them tho cause they'll need done on a tray but i won't be able to get one in lol
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • Winged one
    Thanks The ThrifyScrumpers!! Loads of interwsting ideas there!! Looks like bacon is the way to go!
    GC 2010 6,000/ 5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: 6,000/
    5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr 587.82/550 May 453.31 /550
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 29th Jun 11, 1:57 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Looks like a few of us have had one of those months when things break down or finances are cut.

Our caravan is on its way to the scrap yard as it will take more to put right than it is worth and our microwave blew up. Now replaced with a basic standard one - for what we use it for it will be fine.
    Have just been updating and have spent 187.39 so far out of 240 and will be shopping tomorrow. Could go either way but not to concerned as new microwave came out of GC and also two birthday presents so could actually say only spent 127 so far - which would leave me with 113 left and there is no way I need that much shopping tomorrow.

Slimming world can be done ok along with this challenge, have been doing it for 8 weeks now. Mu!!ers are often on offer and can be frozen.
    New potatoes have been BOGOF recently and some salad things also due to the scare. Ok we spend more on fruit, veg and meat/fish but then again we save on bread, crisps, biscuits, butter, cheese, cooking oils and snacks - so probably works out very similar.

Will update tomorrow but can I go for 240 for July again please - THANK YOU. Have been wondering about reducing this but not sure I am ready for it with how prices are rising. Its a big difference than the 100 per week we used to spend even now.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
    • mandco
    • By mandco 29th Jun 11, 3:46 PM
    • 737 Posts
    • 9,601 Thanks
    mandco
    could you put me down for 300 for july please.
    this includes an extra 50 as I'm hoping to stock up on a few bits ready for the summer hols as I know the food budget will increase dramatically then and there seems to be a few good offer on at the mo

managed to spend 68 today with not a lot to show for it but then again almost 30 of that was household stuff soap powder/ comfort /toilet rolls/ pet supplies ect all of which we'd run out of at once which doesnt usually happen.

did buy the paper today for the free baguette but only coz I was passing anyway
    this year do something that scares you for courage is not the absence of fear just the knowledge that some things are worth the risk
    • goodlife wannabes
    • By goodlife wannabes 29th Jun 11, 3:54 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    goodlife wannabes
    Hi declaring149.34 for June. Please put me down for 200 for July thanks
    MAR GC /346
    The great, good and not so good bits about growing your dinner 2017
    • Cleosmum
    • By Cleosmum 29th Jun 11, 3:57 PM
    • 2,659 Posts
    • 9,288 Thanks
    Cleosmum
    Will declare totals tomorrow but for now can you put me down for 350 in July
    Jan 2016 Grocery Challenge: 184.58/400 (16/01)
  • rosieben
    Welcome to the GC RachelS and MrsB31, good luck with your first challenge
    MrsB31 - sorry i missed you in my last post - feel free to

... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • espresso21
    Sorry I haven't been around for a couple of days - I got some extra work to do which should bring in some extra money (hooray!) which I have already mentally spent (boo!) but it meant I had no time to myself at all. I literally just finished it this evening so am looking forward to settling down in front of the tv for The Apprentice to relax for a bit. I haven't read through the thread and caught up on everything yet, but I hope you are all doing well!
    I might just make it in budget this month - I have 2.65 left I think! - so as long as I don't spend anything tomorrow, I will have made it! Yay! There's a little bit of cheating as OH bought the cat food the other day but then again I also included a spend of several things for the freezer so it probably all evens out.
    Last edited by espresso21; 29-06-2011 at 7:15 PM.
  • espresso21
    O and can you please put me down for 310 for July.
    Thank you!
    • Pinwheel
    • By Pinwheel 29th Jun 11, 8:23 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    Pinwheel
    Hi everyone

Just popping in to update my signature. I seem to have spent loads since Friday, 11.79 in the C**p, most of it on reduced sausages, pork shoulder and chicken breasts which have gone in the freezer. My Ocado delivery was 25.07 and I've just been and spent 21.23 in L**l. We are camping this weekend so I bought a few treats for that. That's 58.09 to add, oh my goodness I'm worried now, on the plus side my freezer is full.

Have a nice evening.

PWx
    Oct GC 36.72/220.00
    Sep GC 223.58/220.00
    Aug GC 200/200
    Jun GC 192.73/220 - Jul GC 296.88/220
    Apr GC 230.40/200 - May GC 230.40/220 -
    Feb GC 200.19/200 - Mar GC 203.37/200 -
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 29th Jun 11, 8:47 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber

I'm seriously impressed with the maths on this thread!
    Originally posted by rosieben

Well, I do have a degree in the subject!!!

NSD today. Just need to manage 31 of them next month and my yearly target may get back on track! Hmm...

I'm happy with my budget idea for next month - I'm not declaring an actual budget, just an 'I didn't need that' budget of 50. I ended up doing omelette tonight, so the quiche I had that goes ood tom (and I know we won't eat it then) went into the freezer in quarters tonight. I think I'm much better at salvaging stuff now - things that are near date/going floppy in the fridge are making meals these days, whereas before, I used to go through my fridge once a week and chuck everything that looked a little suspect. Dread to think how much money and food I used to waste. Now, I congratulate myself on making food stretch, and not wasting stuff. Got a long way to go, but long journeys always start with small steps.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • 20somethinghousewife
    AAARGH! I know I started my month early but we're not even officially in July and I've already spent over 20

Couldn't resist going whoopsie-hunting on tuesday night.
    I have a rule where I'm not allowed to spend more than 2 on meat per meal (for 2 of us). I actually think that's a lot but it can still be hard to do. Anyway, A$da had packs of 5 pork 'sizzle steaks' for 2 so I stocked up on those, reckon I can make 2 packs last 3 meals and pork is hubby's fave

Going to try to make something tasty out of lamb liver and bacon which will be another cheap meal. And got packs of herbs for 2p each going to experiment with freezing them.

Stocked up on LOADS of smart price pasta while it's still 17p. Mr T's have put their's up to over 30p last I checked so I reckon it's only a matter of time before A$da follows.

Wouldn't need to go shopping again for ages except that I'm having in-laws over for dinner on Sunday and haven't a clue what to cook for them. Needs to be veggie and feed 6, suggestions welcome!
  • ebayqueen
    Morning MrsMcawber and all in Mse land

Could you please put me down for400 again this month. Hopefully will do better than June

regards to all
    "You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" C. S. Lewis
  • JayJay14

Wouldn't need to go shopping again for ages except that I'm having in-laws over for dinner on Sunday and haven't a clue what to cook for them. Needs to be veggie and feed 6, suggestions welcome!
    Originally posted by 20somethinghousewife
    How about a nice veggie lasagne, easy to make ahead and have in the fridge ready to pop in the oven with roasties and anything else you want.
  • QOTD
    Broad Bean and Bacon Tart
    Hiya, just wondering if anyone has any good ideas to use a glut of broad beans?
    Originally posted by Winged one
    Is it possible to blanch them and then freeze for use later? Alternatively I made a nice broad bean quiche/tart the other week which my OH was impressed with - really simple make/buy some shortcrust pastry and line a tart tin with it and blind bake for about 10 mins. Fry up your bacon lardons and boil your broad beans few a couple of minutes. Put both the beans and the bacon in the tart. Separately mix up some double cream with a beaten egg and then pour this mixture over the tart. If you have any parmesan cheese grate this over the top, if you have any basil mix some of this with it - if not, don't bother. Bake in the oven for about 30 mins until it looks done and there you go.

Sorry I have no gas marks or deg C - my oven is either on or off, if doesn't seem to care about what temperature I've set it at - I guess it could be gas 4 or equivilent.
    Debts: Loans = 27,000 (car and consolidation), Credit Cards = 25,500. Total Debt at June 2011 = 52,500
    Challenges:Grocery Challenge July 100.31/100 , August 156.80/260
  • QOTD
    Another Broad Bean Idea
    Winged One another idea for the use of broad beans - I've just spotted that you have some chorizo in your stores - how about a chorizo and broad bean potato omelette if you have some eggs in. My OH always makes these so I'm not even going to try to explain what to do so here are a few links for you to look at - these are just for the basic potato omelette, you'd just need to add the sliced chorizo and beans when necessary:

http://www.cookuk.co.uk/eggs/spanish-omelette-recipe.htm

http://www.circlecity.co.uk/kitchen/recipes/spanish_potato_omelette.php
    Debts: Loans = 27,000 (car and consolidation), Credit Cards = 25,500. Total Debt at June 2011 = 52,500
    Challenges:Grocery Challenge July 100.31/100 , August 156.80/260
  • rachbc
    Declaring at 234 - slightly over budget but we managed to use less petrol this month so kept our overall total within 400.

Back to 250 for next month as the freezer is a little depleted
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,835Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin