Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    kimmie35
    Help needed for reluctant cook!!!!
    • 16th Apr 05, 2:44 PM
    Help needed for reluctant cook!!!! 16th Apr 05 at 2:44 PM
    Well if anyone could help would be soooo chuffed.

My problem being that we need to really budget in May and i seem to feed my family on processed ready meals and dont really cook often apart from a traditional sunday dinner.. I need some receipes that i can cook and freeze in advance and cook in the oven. Dont have a microwave so they would need to be something that can defrost and times to defrost needed and cooking instructions.... Sad but i passed my home economics o level!!!Long time ago...

I work 3 nights a week from 10 til 6am and would be able to spend a wednesday cooking in bulk really...

So any cooks out there that can help me create tasty meals for hubby and 3 kids on a very very tight budget would be really grateful.....

Thanks in advance........
    Kim
Page 1
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 16th Apr 05, 2:53 PM
    • 13,401 Posts
    • 20,357 Thanks
    Kimberley
    • 16th Apr 05, 2:53 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 2:53 PM
    I also have 3 kids and ask the same as Kimmie I tend to cook frozen chips, fish fingers. I do Rice and Pasta but two of my kids hate Rice and pasta..

So like Kimmie i'll enjoy reading any tips Sorry to nab your thread Kimmie but it saves doing one myself..
  • kimmie35
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:06 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:06 PM
    Not a problem we must be as stressed as each other!!!!!
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 16th Apr 05, 3:13 PM
    • 13,401 Posts
    • 20,357 Thanks
    Kimberley
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:13 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:13 PM
    Yeah i know :rolleyes: I'd love to be able to cook and bulk freeze to save money
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:23 PM
    My First Post-Hi Everyone!!
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:23 PM
    Hello, this is my 1st post..so please be nice

Right-my quickie favs are:

(1)Shephards Pie

1lb Minced Lamb
    Tin Of Baked Beans
    Tin Of Chopped Toms
    Onion
    Potatoes for Mash
    Grated cheddar

Boil pots for mashing.
    Fry onion and mince, when cooked through add toms and beans, simmer for 3-5 mins. Add to pyrex/oven bowl, then mash spuds and add to top, then I either cook for 20 mins with some grated cheddar on top, or freeze and use later. If cooking from freezer, I normally get out night before-defrost, then cook 30 mins in oven with cheddar on top. Takes aprox 20 mins from start to oven. Very tasty. Serve with Veg and gravy. Kids love it!!

(2)Quick Chicken Curry

2-3 Cooked Chicken Breasts
    Tin Chopped Tom
    Tin Mixed Beans or Tin Kidney Beans or Baked Beans
    Tablespoon of Pataks Curry Paste
    Onion
    frozen sweetcorn/peas etc

Fry onion lightly, break up chicken into small strips and add to onion, add paste, let paste sink into chicken, add toms and whatever beans you want-if using kidney beans drain, add frozen peas and or sweetcorn. This will take about 5-10 mins to cook from scratch and can be served straight away woth rice/jacket spud etc, or you can bag and freeze. I take out night before I need then it defrosts fully. Heat in pan or microwave. Very tasy and daughter loves it. If I have any left, I normally have on jacket day after. The above sized curry will serve 4 good portions.

I have a few more, but dont want to bore you!! I dont spend alot on food and we eat well. I will help in anyway poss.

Good luck.

Penny-Pincher!!
    XXX
  • Lucie
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:33 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:33 PM
    this is the "food" thread from the top of the page. There are 100s of recipes in there - just scan through to see if anything takes your fancy & go from there.
    My favourites to bulk cook & freeze are curries, chilli con carne, bolognaise sauce etc etc. As long as you remember to take them out of the freezer in the morning, they are then defrosted by teatime. I also make burgers in batches & freeze them too. Much nicer than nasty shop bought ones containing....??....allsorts!
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 16th Apr 05, 3:38 PM
    • 13,401 Posts
    • 20,357 Thanks
    Kimberley
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:38 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:38 PM
    <<<My favourites to bulk cook & freeze are curries, chilli con carne, bolognaise sauce etc >>>

Yeah but my kids don't like all that sort of stuff..grrr then again if it tastes nice they may
  • kimmie35
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:48 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:48 PM
    Trust me you wouldnt bore me the chicken curry one sounds lovely try that wed and let you know.......
    Anyone got a chciken soup one for leftover cooked chicken???

I am starving now.. Wish the stew would hurry up and cook!!!!!!
    • Glad
    • By Glad 16th Apr 05, 3:54 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:54 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 3:54 PM
    Trust me you wouldnt bore me the chicken curry one sounds lovely try that wed and let you know.......
    Anyone got a chciken soup one for leftover cooked chicken???

I am starving now.. Wish the stew would hurry up and cook!!!!!!
    by kimmie35
    just fry any available veg cut into small peices,
    add leftover chicken and some stock,
    season and add herbs if wanted and leave to simmer until veg cooked,
    thicken with cornflour or add some cream, adding lentils at beginning will give a thicker soup too
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • Lucie
    Anyone got a chicken soup one for leftover cooked chicken???
    by kimmie35
    Use the leftover cooked chicken for a curry & make your chicken soup from the carcass.

Put carcass into big pot (prob can do it in your slow cooker) with whatever veggies are looking a bit sorry for themselves in the bottom of the fridge. Add onion, garlic, seasoning for a bit of flavour, and a few peppercorns/bayleaf if you have them.
    Cover with water & leave to cook - you might have to skim a bit of fat/scum off as you go along. You could crumble in a chicken oxo if you want to, but generally it doesn't need it. Strain out all the bones & the veg you can either take out & leave in. Blitz for a lump free soup & to disguise the vegetables! You could add a bit of milk or cream and/or sherry if you're feeling flush.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    2 More Recipes!!
    Hi Again

2 more I have thought of. We dont eat beef as i have allergy, so have lamb instead, but either works, or even minced chicken or pork!

(1)Chilli Con Carne

1lb mince lamb/beef
    tin chopped toms
    tin of kidney beans
    teaspoon of chilli powder
    onion
    mushroom
    frozen mixed peppers
    frozen sweetcorn

Lightly fry onion & mushroom and add mince, cook thoroughly, drain excess fat, add chilli powder, add toms and drained kidney beans, add frozen mixed peppers and sweetcorn, add water if needed and more chilli powder depending on how hot you want etc. Serve with boiled rice. This freezes well in portion sized bags, I just defrost night before and re-heat etc. This is very tasty and can be adjusted to individual taste and strength. Cooking time aprox 20 mins max! Rice 15-20 mins. Easily serves 4 good adult sizes-so should be fine for your lot

(3)Quick Tasty Spag Bol

1lb Mince Lamb/Beef
    2 Tins Chopped Toms
    Onion
    Mushrooms
    Garlic Powder-small amount
    Frozen Peppers
    grated cheddar

Fry onion & mushrooms, add mince-cook and drain excess fat, add small amount of garlic powder or fresh, add peppers, add tinned toms and simmer for 10 mins. Serve with long spaggetti or pasta shapes and grated cheddar. This freezes well in individual portions. Get out of freezer night before needed and re-heat. This will serve 4 good portions-so again great for your lot!!

Following threads from this site i have cut back on grocery shopping alot. Last 2 months I have moved over 300 to savings account, just by making meal plans and sticking to them I used to be a brand food snob, but now all my cupboard store stock items that I cook with beans (11p), kidney beans (13p), tinned toms(14p), tom puree(25p), pasta(21p), dry spagetti (11p) tinned spagetti (18p)long grained rice(35p)etc are mostly smart price and taste mainly the same. If I have beans on toast I have to have heinz but cooking with cheapie beans are fine and will bulk out any curry, chilli or spag bol. Nettos had Heinz beans for 19p a tin last week so bought 18 tins I only have these on toast or jackets, so should last a couple of months.

We sometimes have puds, but these are mainly rice-pudding, semolina, yogurts, ice cream etc. There is 2 adults and 1 hungry 10 year old daughter, we spend about 25 a week on food which includes all food items!! Once every few weeks we go to Makros and get our loo rolls, wash powder, coffee, tea and fabric conditioner (I know i could cut back on this but I wont compromise any of these for cheaper brands-sorry), but breaking this down over a year, probably comes to about 3-4 a week topps So I think 30 a week is pretty good for us, and we eat very well.

Breakfasts are Cereal & Toast & fruit juice for daughter, I have a bacon sarnie, and hubby normally has a banana sarny and juice or egg on toast & juice.

Lunch are Packed lunch for daughter(fussy) (sarny or chicken & rice) fruit, yogurt, crisps, 2 x jaffa cakes, squash. I have a jacket spud with either cheesy chilli beans, tuna and salad, grated cheddar and salad or chicken curry. Hubby has either same as me or beans on toast or makes these wicked hawaiann toasties (4 yes 4 slices of bread, grated cheese, ham, tinned pineapple then grilled-just like a pizza-cheap & very tasty!!)

Dinner is normally either: shepheards pie & veg, chops, pots & veg, Curry & Rice, Chilli & Rice, Spag Bol, Roast Dinner all trimmings, Toad In Hole, mash & veg, Stew & dumplings, Lamb Hotpot, Sausage, mash & veg, Sauasage cassorole, BBQ Chicken & rice, pie & mash...some more but cant think at the mo.

So as you can see we eat well, we have aload of fresh fruit and veg daily and we are on a very low income. Im also disabled and hubby my carer...poor guy

I have to eat certain things daily and eat a high calorie diet. So am aften found drinking milky coffees and scoffing biscuits, but again cheapy biscuits My body doesnt absorb some food properly, so have to eat high fat etc...sounds great, but wish I didnt suffer with it Also have Lupus and FMS, but having a good day today (very rare and will suffer 2morrow as Ive done toooo much)

Good luck & please PM me if you need further help, always willing to help.

Penny-Pincher!!
    XXX
    Last edited by Penny-Pincher!!; 16-04-2005 at 6:48 PM.
  • Queenie
    Penny-Pincher! Welcome

Thanks for those recipes; hope you don't suffer too much tomorrow by overdoing it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • elona
    • By elona 17th Apr 05, 6:02 PM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,458 Thanks
    elona
    Have you seen the slow cooker thread - I can really recommend it.?
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • kimmie35
    Thank you oodles for the receipes.... I know it can be done and wed is my cooking day as i need to stay awake after doing a shift all night tuesday...
    I am going to do chilli for me and hubs and spag bol for the kids also going to the chicken curry receipe. That should take me all day!!!!!!!!

Penny-Pincher THANK YOU for doing a meal plan it gives me some ideas on what to do for dinners and on a low budget too.... Your a star
    Will let you know how i get on have to go to bed now ready for the night shift tonight........
    Take care
    Kim
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 18th Apr 05, 4:51 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    Just had a really cheap but tasty and very nutritious meal. I've worked out it has just cost me 2 - 2.20, fed 4 of us and there's enough veg left over to make a nice soup for tomorrow. When you get used to thinking about what you can do with food and you start sourcing cheaper stuff or buying reduced price items, it really can make a difference.

I did this in a slow-cooker (where else ) but you could do it very slowly in the oven.

4 large chicken legs (reduced to 71p)
    potatoes 15p
    sweet potatoes 40p (extravagant so can leave this out)
    1 parsnip (Tesco value) 10p
    2 carrots (Tesco value) 5p
    swede 10p
    mushrooms (value) 20p
    4 whole garlic cloves (Net from asian grocer, 10 bulbs for 70p) 3p
    2 x peppers (market, 6 for 1) 35p
    runner beans (reduced pre-pack 1.49 to 10p) 4p
    tinned tomatoes 17p
    herbs/salt negligable cost

Prepare veg, cut root veg fairly small, place in bottom of dish. Add tin of toms and herbs and stir in. Put skinned legs on top, add seasoning. Add more water, put lid on and cook until well done. I could have done this even more cheaply if I'd have left out the more expensive veg (sweet pots, peppers) and added more cheap veg - ie potatoes, carrots etc. Even the kids liked this.

Tomorrow, blitz rest of veg and add more water/stock and lovely soup.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Hi Kimmie
    Hi Kimmie

Hope you had a nice kip

Im glad I could help! Its amazing how much you can cut back if you try. I think its mainly down to good routines and menu plans Its difficult at first-but you will get there. Im a newbie too and am very surprised what I have managed to achieve in such little time With quite little effort. Im buying what I need rather than anything and throwing it away each week-last week I only binned a packet of cheap bacon-because it smelt funny. I did contact asda and they refunded the cost back to my card twice as I couldnt get to the shop to get a replacement-so in theory, I didnt loose anything-I gained

I have received aload of freebies from the freebie forum section of this site. Free wash powder, bounce sheets, vouchers, soap, baby containers (which can be used in the freezer), lightbulbs, magazines, perfume, cleaning products etc etc. Have a look and grab a few!!!

Also cleaning now is mainly all done by watered down white vinegar-cheap as chips :rolleyes:

Anyway Im gonna go, but let us know how you get on with your cooking day wednesday-Im sure your be fine hun

Penny-Pincher!!
    xxx
  • kimmie35
    Well i dont think my oven will ever recover!!!!!

Made 14 meals lasagne chilli spag bol stew casseroles curries loads so everyone should be ok for a while.... Actually really enjoyed the cooking but not the washing up

Thanks everyone for your advice and I had the chicken curry last night and mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Wonderful........
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,583Posts Today

7,759Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin