Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 23rd Jun 11, 11:59 AM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Single mothers 'worst hit by cuts'
    • 23rd Jun 11, 11:59 AM
    MSE News: Single mothers 'worst hit by cuts' 23rd Jun 11 at 11:59 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Single mothers will be hit the hardest by the Government's programme of benefit cuts and tax rises states new research ..."

Page 1
    • nodiscount
    • By nodiscount 23rd Jun 11, 12:33 PM
    • 570 Posts
    • 1,073 Thanks
    nodiscount
    • 23rd Jun 11, 12:33 PM
    • 23rd Jun 11, 12:33 PM
    Single mums were relatively better off which is why a cut looks as though its targetting them. These cuts are just redressing the balance that's all.

I and the public know, What all schoolchildren learn,
    Those to whom evil is done Do evil in return.
    W.H.Auden
    • lazer
    • By lazer 23rd Jun 11, 12:38 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 4,519 Thanks
    lazer
    • 23rd Jun 11, 12:38 PM
    • 23rd Jun 11, 12:38 PM
    They are the worst hit, because they get the most in the first place so can afford to lose more.

It is also the case that young women choose to become single parents and live on benefits, hopefully these cuts will make it a less appealing prospect to be a young single mother living only on benefits, while still ensuring that they get enough to live and look after their children.
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
    • scootw1
    • By scootw1 23rd Jun 11, 12:50 PM
    • 2,018 Posts
    • 1,805 Thanks
    scootw1
    • 23rd Jun 11, 12:50 PM
    • 23rd Jun 11, 12:50 PM
    They are the worst hit, because they get the most in the first place so can afford to lose more.

It is also the case that young women choose to become single parents and live on benefits, hopefully these cuts will make it a less appealing prospect to be a young single mother living only on benefits, while still ensuring that they get enough to live and look after their children.
    Originally posted by lazer
    Don't forget that not all single mothers are that way because the father deserted them. Sometimes the father dies so leaving the mother single (and vice versa)
  • lilykim
    • 23rd Jun 11, 1:05 PM
    • 23rd Jun 11, 1:05 PM
    I was a single mother once, technically still am although my children are now adults. I looked after my children and made sure they had what they needed and went on school trips etc just like other children. But in the course of my work, I see a lot of single mothers on benefits, many of them have lovely nails, up to date hairstyles, fake tans, up to date mobile phones, obviously very expensive buggies/pushchairs. I would never have been able to do things like that. I dont want to lump all single parents together, but it seems a person like me who works full time, just above the threshold to get help with anything, has to work and save hard if I want anything special. My pay does not increase, I have to cope with the cost of living forever rising.
    Growing old disgracefully!
    • Sixer
    • By Sixer 23rd Jun 11, 1:06 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    Sixer
    • 23rd Jun 11, 1:06 PM
    • 23rd Jun 11, 1:06 PM
    The IFS might have collated more meaningful figures had they said "single mothers who do not receive child maintenance from the non-resident parent will be hit the hardest".
  • DX2
    • 23rd Jun 11, 1:36 PM
    • 23rd Jun 11, 1:36 PM
    I think I'm missing something...again!

It found that by 2015 the average single mother will have lost the equivalent of more than one month's income a year due to changes including reductions on housing benefit, the restriction of maternity grants to the first child, a three-year freeze on child benefit and a cut in the childcare element of the working tax credit.
    The above is happening to everyone, not just us single parents.

"Had the Treasury been doing this research in the first place, single mothers might now not be facing a situation where they can't afford childcare and so can't work, and where some of the poorest women in our society are right now getting poorer."
    Christ we get 70% of childcare costs paid via tax credits.
    Last edited by DX2; 23-06-2011 at 1:38 PM.
    • gadgetmind
    • By gadgetmind 23rd Jun 11, 1:40 PM
    • 10,908 Posts
    • 8,900 Thanks
    gadgetmind
    • 23rd Jun 11, 1:40 PM
    • 23rd Jun 11, 1:40 PM
    I have two young female relatives (by marriage rather than blood) who did zero at school, got pregnant as soon as possible, scrounged all the benefits they could (their one area of expertise) and then got pregnant again once the first child was school age and they risked having to get a job. Rinse and repeat.

Sorry, we need to remove this life style option ASAP as the country simply can't afford it.
    • lazer
    • By lazer 23rd Jun 11, 1:44 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 4,519 Thanks
    lazer
    • 23rd Jun 11, 1:44 PM
    • 23rd Jun 11, 1:44 PM
    Don't forget that not all single mothers are that way because the father deserted them. Sometimes the father dies so leaving the mother single (and vice versa)
    Originally posted by scootw1
    I am aware of this, its also the case that a number of single parents do actually work and support their children. These are not the single parents I was referring too, I was referring to those that actively choose to be young single mothers on benefits, for whatever reason, longing for a nice council house to get out of home, wanted more money, their friends were doing it or whatever.
    Those who have become single parents but were in a stable relationship whenever the child was concieved and those who are able to support their children are not those I was talking about, as then do not actively choose the benefits lifestyle.

I do recognise that all single parents are being hit by the cuts, nut so is everyone else, and personally if i had to choose who should take the biggest hit between a single mother and a young couple with a child I would choose the single mother. A single mother often receives child maintenance which is not counted for benefit purposes, whereas all of a couples income is counted.
  • DX2
    A single mother often receives child maintenance which is not counted for benefit purposes, whereas all of a couples income is counted.
    Just had to pick this up.....

Currently more than three million children live in separated families and around 50% do not receive child maintenance
    Maria Miller 23 Mar 2011
    • lazer
    • By lazer 23rd Jun 11, 1:52 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 4,519 Thanks
    lazer

Currently more than three million children live in separated families and around 50% do not receive child maintenance

Maria Miller 23 Mar 2011
    Originally posted by DX2
    Which mean there is another 50% that do receive child maintenance and benefits on top, why?
  • DX2
    Which mean there is another 50% that do receive child maintenance and benefits on top, why?
    Why, what?
    Why do the other 50% get child support and benefits? There's that assumption thing again You're assuming that the other 50% are benefit claimants whereas they could be working.
    • lazer
    • By lazer 23rd Jun 11, 2:03 PM
    • 3,230 Posts
    • 4,519 Thanks
    lazer
    Why, what?
    Why do the other 50% get child support and benefits? There's that assumption thing again You're assuming that the other 50% are benefit claimants whereas they could be working.
    Originally posted by DX2
    Yes, some could be working, but I'm sure there is some that aren't and even within those working, there is still some receiving benefits.

Why is child maintenance disregarded when working out benefits for single parents? It shouldn't be!
  • Matt Fry

Maria Miller 23 Mar 2011
    Originally posted by DX2
    If a benefit claimant chooses to be unemployed then he gets nothing.

If a housing claimant chooses to be homeless then he get no state housing.

If a woman chooses to be a single parent, she gets benefits, a house, free medical, schooling - and child maintenance.

In the EU, she gets nothing. She thinks twice before getting her knickers off. That does away with a need for a CSA and benefits complety.
  • cit_k
    Why not do some real research MSE?
    Show how much a single mother gets compared to say someone on benefits without children?
    Then show how much after cuts both get.
    You will probably find the single mother is still better off financially, so hardly getting the worse deal.
    They may lose a bigger percentage, but they have far more of a percantage in the first place.
  • EclipsedMind
    I can't help but feel their statistical anaylsis is on shaky ground as they are including monies before and after birth and then comparing single fathers and single mothers. The woman would have gotten maternity grants which the father would not have.

To be honest I would take this all with a pinch of salt as the father will be hit just as badly by changes to housing benefit, WTC etc as the woman but of course that would not make for the gender inequality they sought for their political agenda.

EM
    I think opinions should be judged of by their influences and effects, and if a man holds none that tend to make him less virtuous or more vicious, it may be concluded that he holds none that are dangerous; which I hope is the case with me.
  • DX2
    If a benefit claimant chooses to be unemployed then he gets nothing.

If a housing claimant chooses to be homeless then he get no state housing.

If a woman chooses to be a single parent, she gets benefits, a house, free medical, schooling - and child maintenance.

In the EU, she gets nothing. She thinks twice before getting her knickers off. That does away with a need for a CSA and benefits complety.
    Originally posted by Matt Fry
    How is your ex these days Matt? Did she think twice about dropping her drawers to you? Did she come after you for child support when you fled to Cyprus to avoid the child support agency?
  • DX2
    Yes, some could be working, but I'm sure there is some that aren't and even within those working, there is still some receiving benefits.

Why is child maintenance disregarded when working out benefits for single parents? It shouldn't be!
    Something to do with child poverty, dunno you really need to ask the appropriate people that question.
  • kerrydrobertson
    my sister split up from her partner a few months back now and is now, 'living the life'. She has since got a house, which she pays no rent towards, can go out at the weekends, go shopping for clothes for herself and is going on holiday in August, courtesey of the government. She has no job, although after childcare costs, there is very little benefit to her getting one as the benefits would be cut, so not much incentive for her to get a job.
    To say they will be worse off isnt very fair as they seem to have a pretty cosy life as it is just now.
    • Sixer
    • By Sixer 23rd Jun 11, 2:28 PM
    • 1,012 Posts
    • 1,650 Thanks
    Sixer
    Why, what?
    Originally posted by DX2
    It does depend on whether or not you see in-work tax credits as benefits or tax rebates.

A lass I know works full-time from home (house fully paid off, so no mortgage, no rent) so no childcare. She earns 17k and gets 65 p/w tax credits plus 20 p/w child benefit. She also gets 100 p/w child maintenance which is paid on the dot every single week and doesn't impact on her tax credits.

I'm not saying she *shouldn't* get tax credits, but it's madness to suggest her lifestyle is being significantly impacted by the Coalition cuts and benefits changes - especially in comparison to women who can't get their ex to pay a bean. I can well imagine these women are feeling the pain.
    Last edited by Sixer; 23-06-2011 at 2:32 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

912Posts Today

5,705Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin