Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Glad
    • By Glad 15th Apr 05, 7:21 PM
    • 17,957Posts
    • 39,913Thanks
    Glad
    Tupperware Rice cooker
    • 15th Apr 05, 7:21 PM
    Tupperware Rice cooker 15th Apr 05 at 7:21 PM
    I've got one of these and use it mainly for defrosting meat or keeping veg warm at the table,
    does anyone know how to cook rice in it as I'd love to try and hate cooking it in a pan,

I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
Page 1
    • moggins
    • By moggins 15th Apr 05, 7:35 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 15th Apr 05, 7:35 PM
    • 15th Apr 05, 7:35 PM
    Yes, I had one and lost the lid and I really miss it, it was great. Parboil the rice for about 10 minutes and the pour it into the tupperware dish, with the holey bit under the rice, put the lid on and leave it for about 20 minutes.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • toozie
    • By toozie 15th Apr 05, 9:40 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    • 15th Apr 05, 9:40 PM
    • 15th Apr 05, 9:40 PM
    Got the same one Glad, only probably older, because its orange! Great when having friends round for a curry or chilli, coz it keeps the rice hot for ages. Guests can dip in and then put the lid back.
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 16th Apr 05, 6:20 AM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    • 16th Apr 05, 6:20 AM
    • 16th Apr 05, 6:20 AM
    I used to sell the stuff, and the official Tupperware Cookbook says this:
    "Cooking Rice in the Multi-server"
    1) Fill the outer bowl of the Multi-Server with 1 litre water. Place the water in a pan and bring it to the boil. Add a pinch of salt and 250ml cup white rice and stir. Bring back to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
    Turn the rice and boiling water into the Multi Server colander in the bowl.
    2) Cover and leave undisturbed for 20 minutes.
    3) Lift the colander to drain the rice and pour away the starch-filled water.
    4) Add 450ml hot water to the bowl, replace the colander of rice to keep hot for serving.
    Brown Rice.
    Boil for 6 minutes and leave covered in the Multi Server for 30 Minutes.

Hope this helps!
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• moggins
    • By moggins 16th Apr 05, 7:38 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 16th Apr 05, 7:38 AM
    • 16th Apr 05, 7:38 AM
    LOL, my reply wasn't bad from sheer memory then
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • Glad
    • By Glad 16th Apr 05, 9:03 AM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    • 16th Apr 05, 9:03 AM
    • 16th Apr 05, 9:03 AM
    thanks for the replies, I'll try it out and report back, I notice they are selling these for little more than 1 on E-bay and they must be moneysaving
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • Party_Animal
    • 16th Apr 05, 10:24 AM
    • 16th Apr 05, 10:24 AM
    I thought everyone used the 2 minute rice these days. Its certainly handy for 2 people both at work who want somethng quick.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 16th Apr 05, 12:35 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    • 16th Apr 05, 12:35 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 12:35 PM
    2 minute rice :confused:
    • toozie
    • By toozie 16th Apr 05, 2:16 PM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    • 16th Apr 05, 2:16 PM
    • 16th Apr 05, 2:16 PM
    I thought everyone used the 2 minute rice these days. Its certainly handy for 2 people both at work who want somethng quick.
    by Party_Animal
    Thats not really MSE style is it??? I buy massive bags of brown and white rice, lasts for ever...and we do eat loads of rice each week too.

hilstep2000

From memory can't you cook some fish in it too???
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 16th Apr 05, 2:36 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    The best way to use these Tupperware thingies it to cook pasta in them, you put a kettle full of boiling salted water in and the pasta takes about 15 minutes to cook if undisturbed (that's the hardest part, not lifting the lid - but if you do halt the cooking by letting the heat out you can put the whole lot in the microwave to finish off)
  • mightymo
    I presume the black basin at the bottom is plastic? If so, it looks similar to one I have for the microwave. You pour 1 pints of boiling water in (for a three person quantity of rice), put your rice in and bung in the microwave for 12 minutes. Give it a stir halfway through.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Apr 05, 7:33 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Got the same one Glad, only probably older, because its orange! Great when having friends round for a curry or chilli, coz it keeps the rice hot for ages. Guests can dip in and then put the lid back.
    by toozie
    recipe for food poisoning!!!

Rice contains a particular bacteria called Bacillus cereus, which gives off toxins that cause food poisoning. It should either be cooked and eaten immediately (unless you can keep the rice above 65C) or cooled rapidly and refridgerated and even then re-heating it can pose a risk.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• toozie
    • By toozie 17th Apr 05, 7:41 AM
    • 3,249 Posts
    • 5,904 Thanks
    toozie
    Thanks Curry, must have been lucky then!! We'll have to eat it all at once in future
    • Bossyboots
    • By Bossyboots 17th Apr 05, 7:42 AM
    • 6,547 Posts
    • 3,310 Thanks
    Bossyboots
    recipe for food poisoning!!!

Rice contains a particular bacteria called Bacillus cereus, which gives off toxins that cause food poisoning. It should either be cooked and eaten immediately (unless you can keep the rice above 65C) or cooled rapidly and refridgerated and even then re-heating it can pose a risk.
    by Curry_Queen

Well we are all alive and healthy and I don't follow the above.

Yesterday I made some spicy rice following a recipe. I cooked it in the microwave and when it came out it was all sticky. I did not want to wash it as I thought that might spoil the flavour. It was also a bit hard. I had decided to make another batch, doing it my way but with the same spices. It was for an evening bbq so I had time. I came on here for a short time and saw this thread. I don't have the rice cooker but I do have a similar tupperware item that I think was ultimately designed for steaming fish but works on the same theory. I dragged that out of the cupboard, filled the bottom with boiling water, put the cooked rice in the container and then the lid and 20 minutes later my rice was rescued. It was completely separated and fluffy. It went down a treat at the bbq with the main compliment being how easy it was to serve.

So my thanks to the OP and to toozie who posted in this thread and brought it to the top at just the right moment for me.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Apr 05, 8:20 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Like I said, it depends if the rice was kept above 65C, as below this temperature is when the bacteria starts to give off the toxins which can cause food poisoning. I don't know how these tupperware things are designed or to what temps they keep the rice so maybe they are fine to use. I was just giving a general warning about keeping rice warm that's all :confused:
    ~

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Apr 05, 8:23 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Well we are all alive and healthy and I don't follow the above.

It went down a treat at the bbq with the main compliment being how easy it was to serve.
    by Bossyboots
    Have you asked all your guests if they've had any stomach cramps this morning (joke!!!!! )
    ~

• Bossyboots
    • By Bossyboots 17th Apr 05, 9:41 AM
    • 6,547 Posts
    • 3,310 Thanks
    Bossyboots
    Have you asked all your guests if they've had any stomach cramps this morning (joke!!!!! )
    by Curry_Queen
    Actually, after reading your post I did as it worried me. They all assure me that they are feeling fine.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Apr 05, 10:22 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Actually, after reading your post I did as it worried me. They all assure me that they are feeling fine.
    by Bossyboots
    That's good to hear

I think it's one of those things where the risk is probably quite minimal and more likely to affect the vulnerable groups - young, old and immuno-compromised people - and it's also not as severe an illness as say salmonella or other bacterial food poisonings. It can cause vomiting and dairrhoea but often just causes severe stomach cramps, and I'm sure we've all experienced those before and not known the cause or culprit :confused:

I do try to be extra careful with rice though, hence the warning, but I've been known to eat left-overs that have sat on the side for a few hours and not come to any harm, and that's probably one of the worst things you can do with it
    ~

• MATH
    • By MATH 17th Apr 05, 7:18 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    With or without a rice cooker the micro is the place for cooking rice or pasta save loads of pan washing and reduces the steam pumping into your kitchen.

If you want to nuke white LG rice and don't have a fancy cooker do this.

1. Measure rice by volume (ie 1/2 pt) Rinse in a sieve under cold running water and chuck into a large microwavable dish.

2. Pour on double the volume of boiling water and give a quick stir.

3. Nuke at full power for about 15 mins giving a couple of little stirs. (most recipe books say use a covered dish. I find it better to leave it uncovered)

4. When cooked leave a couple of mins then rinse in hot water if it is a bit sticky. Return to dish and nuke for a couple of secs to bring back up to temp.

5. Serve.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 19th Apr 05, 12:07 PM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    I used rice cooker last night

put rice and boiling water in put in microwave for 10 mins then put lid on and left for 20 mins

result, nearly perfect rice, rice at bottom was a little too wet
    but I think a stir halfway through standing time would sort that out,
    will keep experimenting
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,892Posts Today

7,499Users online

Martin's Twitter