Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Dibblersan
    • 22nd Jun 11, 8:48 AM
    How many hours do yousleep?
    • 22nd Jun 11, 8:48 AM
    I am guessing that the question relates to per night and not per week. Does this include the necessary power nap required because you don't sleep properly at night?

C- for poorly worded question.

Dibblersan (aka Smug know it all)
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 22nd Jun 11, 10:27 AM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 12,901 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    • 22nd Jun 11, 10:27 AM
    • 22nd Jun 11, 10:27 AM
    Does this refer to uninterrupted or total of hours sleep altogether a night? or the total of hours spent in bed in 24 hours?

As my answers would be very different.
    • PM1
    • By PM1 22nd Jun 11, 12:25 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    PM1
    • 22nd Jun 11, 12:25 PM
    Age related
    • 22nd Jun 11, 12:25 PM
    It would have been interesting to see if it was age related. Now that I am nearly retired, I get more sleep than I used to.
    • Cricri
    • By Cricri 22nd Jun 11, 12:37 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    Cricri
    • 22nd Jun 11, 12:37 PM
    • 22nd Jun 11, 12:37 PM
    I am guessing that the question relates to per night and not per week.
    Originally posted by Dibblersan
    DUh! What do you think? Choices are from 4 to 11 hours.

Does this include the necessary power nap required because you don't sleep properly at night?
    If you didn't sleep properly at night, how would you know how many hours you really slept? And if you can't, does it matter if you can add a nap time to this unknown number? In which case, what you suggest would be "time spent in bed". C- for poorly worded question.
    • fannyadams
    • By fannyadams 22nd Jun 11, 8:58 PM
    • 1,640 Posts
    • 2,497 Thanks
    fannyadams
    • 22nd Jun 11, 8:58 PM
    • 22nd Jun 11, 8:58 PM
    I need different sleep at different times of the year.
    NEED 10 hours minimum in winter to function within normal parameters but can just about manage with 8 in summer.

but <insert your deity name here> help you if you wake me before I have to - ask my neighbour about her dog waking me up by howling at 5am - I make no apology. oh and if you're reading this neighbour...YES next time I will put your door in.
    just in case you need to know:
    HWTHMBO - He Who Thinks He Must Be Obeyed
    DS#1 - my teenaged son
    DS#2 - my other teenaged son
    Barkin Things - my two retired greyhounds
    • stevemcol
    • By stevemcol 23rd Jun 11, 11:22 AM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    stevemcol
    • 23rd Jun 11, 11:22 AM
    • 23rd Jun 11, 11:22 AM
    Bed by 11ish, up at 7ish, most weekdays. Never have to set my alarm so I think that's my natural rythm.
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 23rd Jun 11, 11:27 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    • 23rd Jun 11, 11:27 AM
    • 23rd Jun 11, 11:27 AM
    Normally about seven to eight hours - I aim for eight but can cope on six. I am a natural morning person though and hate having lie-ins, I always feel like I should be doing something even if it's just reading my book.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
    • UnluckyT
    • By UnluckyT 27th Jun 11, 10:22 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 1,317 Thanks
    UnluckyT
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:22 AM
    • 27th Jun 11, 10:22 AM
    About 8 or 9, depending.
    aim for 8 when working, slightly more on my days off, but find it hard to 'lay in' so to speak unless i am actually sleeping. prefer to be doing something too rather than lounging in bed unless im really poorly.
    i know what you mean fanny adams, one of my neighburs is noisy (i live in a maisenette block of 4 flats) they seem fo get up and do stuff early like shopping and are really heavy footed so i hear them stomping up and down stairs, when they inconsiderealtly slam the hall and their front door, throwing/dropping the recyling and boxes on the floor on rubbish day, when they clean what they feel is thier part of the hallway and so on.
    • psdie
    • By psdie 29th Jun 11, 1:37 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    psdie
    1 hour's sleep per 2 hours awake
    Generally about 8 for me (and my partner) - feel zonked if any less, assuming a "normal length" day. I read a study on sleep patterns, which concluded with a rule of thumb: you need 1 hour's sleep for every 2 hours you've been awake for.

So if you're up for 16 hours (say 7:30am till 11:30pm), you need 8 hours' sleep. OK, so that doesn't tell us anything new: but if you're up for 36 hours (as I sometimes am to meet a deadline), you need ~18 hours' sleep to recover properly-! And conversely, you'd only need ~4 hours' sleep if you've only been up for ~8 hours.

The 18 hours might sound far-fetched - but that matches roughly what I'll sleep for if I pull a 36 hour stint. ~8 hours is about right for the ~16 hours that employed folk are usually up for. And it's true that if you've not been awake as long as usual, you'll find it difficult to sleep for your full 7-8.

The other interesting element is the roll-over effect - which we all know so well! Miss out on enough sleep one night, and you'll need more sleep the next. Fail to get that, and it'll really hit you the next day - your body definitely "remembers" that it's owed catch-up sleep! I sometimes try to get away with ~8 hours after a 24+ hour stint .. and am so tired I might as well go back to bed

All the above sounds like common sense - if you're awake for longer, you need to sleep for longer to recover. Yet people often seem to think the amount of sleep they need is a fixed, absolute quantity. Nope!
    • scarlet55
    • By scarlet55 19th Jul 11, 2:55 PM
    • 21,102 Posts
    • 66,476 Thanks
    scarlet55
    i usually only sleep for about 6 hours...sometimes less.....the longer i sleep, the more tired i feel...weird...
  • crazyguy
    I sleep for approx 6 - 7 hours at nite and have a snooze mid afternoon for an hour !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,883Posts Today

7,828Users online

Martin's Twitter