Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Aril
    • By Aril 15th Apr 05, 12:42 PM
    • 1,880Posts
    • 16,730Thanks
    Aril
    Sardine Burgers
    • 15th Apr 05, 12:42 PM
    Sardine Burgers 15th Apr 05 at 12:42 PM
    I've enjoyed all the great recipes that I've picked up from here whilst lurking the last few months as a guest. Many I've tried and have been very well received by husband and son. I thought perhaps it was high time I contributed one as a thank you -only hope it hasn't been posted before!
    Sardine Burgers
    4 baps
    tin sardines in tomato sauce
    mayonnaise
    Edam [or some other similar cheese]
    Toast the baps on both sides. Then spread one side with mayonnaise followed by mashed up sardines and then sliced Edam on top. Pop back under the grill until cheese has melted. I serve them with baked beans
    I find them easy and quick to prepare and fairly inexpensive cost wise. Brilliant on Thursdays when we've got Beavers and very little time to produce a complicated meal!
    Regards
    Aril
Page 1
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 15th Apr 05, 1:07 PM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 45,124 Thanks
    Pooky
    • 15th Apr 05, 1:07 PM
    • 15th Apr 05, 1:07 PM
    Sounds yummy!! I have a problem with using fish as my hubby has a seafood/fish allergy but am desperately trying to introduce more fish to the kids diet. I will give this one a go next week and see how they like it! Thanks
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Big_Nige
    • 15th Apr 05, 1:19 PM
    • 15th Apr 05, 1:19 PM
    Sounds GROSS, but, I'm going to try them, will let you know my thoughts.
    Every day above ground is a good day.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 15th Apr 05, 1:49 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 15th Apr 05, 1:49 PM
    • 15th Apr 05, 1:49 PM
    That sounds yummy!

I actually prefer mackerel, especially in mustard sauce, but I should imagine that would work just as well

Now, convincing my whipper snapper of a lad will be another thing LOL! ... but I can always do it for my lunch when he's at school

In fact if I had some mackerel in (unusual for me not to have!!!) I'd try it right now
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Apr 05, 2:02 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 15th Apr 05, 2:02 PM
    • 15th Apr 05, 2:02 PM
    I do the same with tuna. Often just on a thickly sliced slice of bread instead of buns.

Recipes aren't carved in stone so I often modify things to suit myself
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
  • Queenie
    • 15th Apr 05, 2:10 PM
    • 15th Apr 05, 2:10 PM
    I've done something similiar with tuna and again with Pilchards in tom sauce ( I lurve pilchards, but my dh doesn't).

Mmmmm, yummy! Nice one Aril
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 15th Apr 05, 2:21 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 15th Apr 05, 2:21 PM
    • 15th Apr 05, 2:21 PM
    Recipes aren't carved in stone so I often modify things to suit myself
    by squeaky
    I'm always adapting recipes to suit myself or what ingredients I have in

I think once you know the basics and what foods work with others etc, that's half the battle won, although I'd love to be as adept as James Martin ... but if I marry him he can teach me all he knows
    ~

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Apr 05, 2:43 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 15th Apr 05, 2:43 PM
    • 15th Apr 05, 2:43 PM
    I'm always adapting recipes to suit myself or what ingredients I have in

I think once you know the basics and what foods work with others etc, that's half the battle won, although I'd love to be as adept as James Martin ... but if I marry him he can teach me all he knows
    by Curry_Queen
    I first learned how to cook out of sheer self defence. I made some horrible meals when I first left home mumblety years ago. These days I find I have quite a knack for throwing things at a pot and having them work out quite well.

And no, I'm not stalking you - it's FOOD I'm stalking
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• danmanchester
    • By danmanchester 15th Apr 05, 2:46 PM
    • 1,200 Posts
    • 673 Thanks
    danmanchester
    • 15th Apr 05, 2:46 PM
    • 15th Apr 05, 2:46 PM
    my stomach is now rumbling.......

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 15th Apr 05, 3:26 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I first learned how to cook out of sheer self defence. I made some horrible meals when I first left home mumblety years ago. These days I find I have quite a knack for throwing things at a pot and having them work out quite well.

And no, I'm not stalking you - it's FOOD I'm stalking
    by squeaky
    That had never crossed my mind!!!! :rolleyes:

I had a good grounding in basic cooking from my mum and started home baking when I was a wee lass, but I've always been one to experiment and prefer foreign/exotic foods (which we never had at home ... my mum would have been an excellent MSE'er LOL!) and most of my inspiration now comes from tv chefs

I won't mention James Martin again for fear of boring you all ... actually he's a better pastry chef than anything else, but I love Rick Stein for seafood ... HFW for good home-cooking and utilising free food! ... Nigella is my heroine ... and Tasmin DL, Jamie, Ainsley et al are favourites too. I have a love/hate thing with AWT just because he reminds me of my first ever boss (a vet) in the way he speaks and looks LOl!

Foodie??? ... yeah I guess I am a bit LOL!

PS ... whilst on the subject ... a promising young chef to watch for in the future is James Tanner. He's not very old, and I guess not long out of catering school (or wherever they go these days) but I've been pretty impressed at what I've seen of him so far
    Last edited by Curry_Queen; 15-04-2005 at 3:29 PM.
    ~

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 15th Apr 05, 3:32 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Sorry, I'm so again

I'm off back down to the Arms to share out my
    ~

• squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Apr 05, 3:40 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    That had never crossed my mind!!!! :rolleyes:
    Foodie??? ... yeah I guess I am a bit LOL!

PS ... whilst on the subject ... a promising young chef to watch for in the future is James Tanner. He's not very old, and I guess not long out of catering school (or wherever they go these days) but I've been pretty impressed at what I've seen of him so far
    by Curry_Queen
    What a great image!!
    I'm surprised it isn't your atavar! :rolleyes:

• jennyjo
    I love tuna with grated cheese mixed in

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 15th Apr 05, 3:50 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    ..and a few bits of sweetcorn...?

• jennyjo
    ..and a few bits of sweetcorn...?
    by squeaky
    lol or onion is nice
    did i see someone else with that avatar on here?

not a newbie now: but still be gentle with me
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 15th Apr 05, 4:12 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I love tuna with grated cheese mixed in
    by jennyjo
    Hiya jenny

Not tried it with cheese, but tuna, chopped spring onion, lemon juice, cracked pepper is yummy in sandwiches ... or ... tuna, pasta, sweetcorn, mayo as a salad.

There's so much you can do with it and add it to jacket spuds too for a main meal with a side salad
    ~

• Queenie
    On the subject of "throwing things at a pot" ...

.. my homemade coleslaw got some added extra's thrown in tonight ...

I bought some luxury dried fruit and nut mix a few weeks ago (2.69 reduced to 1) which the boys have been having in their lunch boxes, but they didn't like the dried pineapple or the whole brazils .... chopped them both up fine in the food processor, added it to the basic coleslaw mix and

BINGO!!!

not only clean plates all round but a "YUMMY!" to boot I daren't tell them they've just eaten stuff they said was "YUK!" Ok, maybe I will - just to prove the point that they may not have liked it *one* way, but they loved it another way
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 15th Apr 05, 5:23 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    not only clean plates all round but a "YUMMY!" to boot I daren't tell them they've just eaten stuff they said was "YUK!" Ok, maybe I will - just to prove the point that they may not have liked it *one* way, but they loved it another way
    by Queenie

I do it all the time Queenie ... as soon as little 'un says he doesn't like something I'll find a different way to serve it up ... classic being the recent courgette drama, which he suddenly decided he hated, so I grated them into soup (thanks to a tip from here) and he thought it was yum!!! LOL!

We don't often have battles over food, and I know there's a couple of things he genuinely doesn't like, but all I say to him is "try it and see" and he's very obliging as he knows I won't force him to eat something he really doesn't like.

It's amazing how much appearance can put someone off rather than taste though, hence my efforts at disguising stuff, but I always tell him in the end
    ~

• Queenie
    Have you tried grilling the courgettes? My d9yo was adamant he didn't like courgettes (oven roasted/steamed) but one time I grilled them with just a smidgen of melted butter brushed on ... now he can't get enough of them

My eldest ds simply couldn't eat pilchards or pineapple in any way, shape or form.
    DD couldn't stomach anything with ginger
    ds#2 couldn't eat fish
    ds#3 gags on oven chips
    ds#4 cannot abide cooked corned beef (he doesn't stop at gagging!)

I think when someone genuinely doesn't like something, it's pretty apparent! And if I think it's being just "fussy", I explain that I'll stop serving it if they develop yellow strips and blue checks!
    Whereas my dh was brought up to be a fussy eater and was pandered to by his neurotic mother and his wife in his past life ... he got a bit of a culture shock when he met me (brought up on waste not, want not; like it or lump scheme).
    He now extols the delights of yogurt (yes, even natural!!), cheese, rice, mild curries, pizza's and even some real veggies (tinned peas and carrots was he previous repetoire :rolleyes: ) - I'm now working on pasta, but that may take a while longer.
    He's learned not to ask what is in something until after he's eaten it (hence I can now claim he eats real carrots, leeks, onions, parsnips, swede, cabbage) and when I do admit to the hidden ingredients he simply shrugs and says, "Well, I can eat them like that!" ... haven't had the courage to tell him when he's eaten garlic though
  • MrsMW
    Queenie, your DH sounds just like mine! I've managed to convert him to lots of things but haven't yet managed the pasta. The best one was when I gave him soup to take to work and he came home raving about how much he'd enjoyed it, I still haven't told him that it was mainly brussel sprouts LOL.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,358Posts Today

5,967Users online

Martin's Twitter