Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge 26th May 11 at 10:29 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2011 at 8:18 PM.
Page 28
  • Nimeth
    Another weekly shop down, one more to go for this month! Spent 28.05 in A!di before popping up to Morrison$, spent 18.20 in there. I just couldn't resist the fresh mussels, so planning on making baked mussels with pancetta. I found a lovely recipe that lets me use up some breadcrumbs too.

Anyway, total spend for the month up to 162.27. Off to update signature!
    Dec GC; 208.79/220
    Save a life - Give Blood
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 17th Jun 11, 12:15 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    My OH's favourite SW recipe for tea - sticky chicken.
    skinned chicken thighs browned with lots of onions, few chilli flakes, 2 tbsp soy sauce and about 15g sweetener. Mix it all up and pop it in the oven in a caserole dish for 30 mins. Serve with baked spuds and salad. nom nom
    Originally posted by toddles*
    this sounds lovely will try it as DD's have just strated doing SW

.I also had my 2 1/2 stone off award this week at fat class, yay!
    Originally posted by CRANKY40

wonderfullife welcome

NSD day today , just made a SW chicken curry for tea which they can have with rice and i'll have veggies
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 17th Jun 11, 1:41 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    Stuck at work with a pounding migraine where every movement makes my head hurt more and my stomach churn. Not helped by the fact that the migraine tabs cost 4 each! I can't wait for the end of the day even if it is still a long way away. I'm not sure what I will do for dinner tonight - I'm not usually up for cooking or eating when i feel like this so might just pick up some sausages and rolls on the way home and let hubby feed himself! I hate days like this as they make all my meal plans and budgeting fall by the wayside.
    Originally posted by espresso21

I get days like this too, 'damage limitation days' just think where you would be if you didn't plan/budget at all Hope your head clears soon, I woke up with a horrible headache this morning, but it did clear mostly (just a bit muzzy now) aten't they just the worst

Mothership if you are around can you clarify something for me about the 2nd purse system (I am obv a bit thick where these things are concerned!) do I take it that you buy your stocks when on offer with the 2nd purse money, put them away, then do you pay back the purse the full retail value of the item say for example a box of teabags as and when you take the box from your stock to start using??

The only thing with me is that I tend to buy all my groceries either when a) they are on offer anyway as I am not fussed by brands or b)if no good offer on branded then the basic/cheapy options.....do you think this would still work for me as I love the idea....

I thought I would put the difference between my budget for June and what I actually spend in the purse to start me off,then put 10 a week in...
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales 150.00
  • crockpot
    Well my week started yesterday and I spent 10, today been to m & s, Mr M`s and aldi and spent another 34.35 and did not think I needed much!

Got the Dine in deal from M and S, might have ended up with a takeway and that would have cost more.

I keep saying to myself that I need to keep out of the supermarket, will try and online shop again next week, always spend less but do forget stuff, have to be more organized! Have an 5 e voucher so that will cover delivery.
  • HalfaSixpence
    My secret plan for not wanting to cook is to make a huge stew with everything in it and freeze it in single portions in plastic takeaway cartons. 300-350 grams is plenty for a portion - I do usually weigh it out as it always looks a bit mean in the tub but is plenty when tipped out on a plate. That way I can stick however many in the microwave; either serve on their own or with tinned veg or rice or something else easy. Knowing it is there cuts down on the temptation to get takeaway when you know you're not really going toenjoy it anyway.
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 17th Jun 11, 5:27 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    nsd for me today - yeah! Still sticking to my whole once a week thing so far. Haven't been in a sm since Sunday, I'm so proud of myself! Don't actually need anything either. So far, my list for Sunday is bread, milk, fruit (a little), maybe some spuds and some sandwich bags. Let's hope it doesn't get any longer!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • JIL
    • By JIL 17th Jun 11, 7:19 PM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 25,089 Thanks
    JIL
    I am going to join in the grocery challenge next month, I need to do something as I cannot go into a supermarket without spending 10 at minimum. My cupboards and freezer are full to the brim and still i buy more just because it is a bargain!!!
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 17th Jun 11, 7:57 PM
    • 3,410 Posts
    • 34,908 Thanks
    XSpender
    Been to Mr M tonight with DH (lethal). Spent 34 and change. 5 was a book for DFIL for father's day and 8.74 on beer for the weekend for me and DH. I used 18 of savings stamps and I don't include the beer or gift so a grand total of 3.14 to add to the GC.

Got some good offers on fab lollies, 100% free, which are DH favourite snack, 2 packs of whoopsied Qu0rn lamb steaks which will do 2 meals for the 2 of us and 26 packs of walkers for 3 which will last about 4 days if I don't split them and hide them from DH

Got a couple of 1.50 pizzas for tea fom Mr M which were lovely.

Only 4 days of the GC month left for us and DH does not need lunches for 2 of them so I just need to plan 4 evening meals.

Have a lovely weekend everyone x

EDIT: Forgot to add the 1.29 I spent at work today
    Last edited by XSpender; 17-06-2011 at 8:00 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    October Grocery Challenge - 277.74/220
    • JIL
    • By JIL 17th Jun 11, 8:04 PM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 25,089 Thanks
    JIL
    And heres a recipe for a healthy prawn and chickpea curry.
    1 finely chopped onion
    2 tablespoons curry paste
    150 ml coconut milk
    150 mls vegetable stock
    1 tin chickpeas drained and rinsed.
    225g frozen prawns thawed
    coriander or spinach
    juice of half a lime

In a pan heat a tablespoon of oil, add onion and fry gently for 5 minutes.
    Add the curry paste and fry for another minute
    Stir in the coconut milk, stock and chick peas and simmer for about 10 mins
    Stir in the prawns and simmer for about two minutes, add the coriander and/or spinach and the lime juice and heat through. Season to taste.

It is very tasty and quick and easy to make, serve with rice, nan bread or on a baked potato.
    Last edited by JIL; 18-06-2011 at 7:47 PM.
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 17th Jun 11, 8:17 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    And heres a recipe for a healthy prawn and chickpea curry.
    1 finely chopped onion
    2 tablespoons curry paste
    150 ml coconut milk
    150 mls vegetable stock
    1 tin chickpeas drained and rinsed.
    225g frozen prawns thawed
    coriander or spinach
    juice of half a lime

In a pan heat a tablespoon of oil, add onion and fry gently for 5 minutes.
    Add the curry paste and fry for another minute
    Stir in the coconut milk and chick peas and simmer for about 10 mins
    Stir in the prawns and simmer for about two minutes, add the coriander and/or spinach and the lime juice and heat through. Season to taste.

It is very tasty and quick and easy to make, serve with rice, nan bread or on a baked potato.
    Originally posted by JIL
    Thanks for this recipe, I have got everything in for it and I love a prawn curry but have never cooked one myself! its only me that does prawns in my house...a quick question - will I be able to freeze this if I do a big pan of it? if so will I need to make sure I buy fresh prawns that have never been frozen?
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 17th Jun 11, 8:23 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    7.62 spent in Asda last night on 3 x body spray, razors, a pizza, mini rolls and crackers.

That will be it for June as i'm off on holiday tomorrow
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
    • JIL
    • By JIL 17th Jun 11, 8:37 PM
    • 4,960 Posts
    • 25,089 Thanks
    JIL
    Thanks for this recipe, I have got everything in for it and I love a prawn curry but have never cooked one myself! its only me that does prawns in my house...a quick question - will I be able to freeze this if I do a big pan of it? if so will I need to make sure I buy fresh prawns that have never been frozen?
    Originally posted by 69chick
    I have never frozen it, but my suggestion would be that you freeze a batch of the curry before putting the prawns in if you see what I mean, then defrost both the curry sauce and prawns and reheat them together.
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 17th Jun 11, 8:58 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    Sounds like a good plan JIL thanks
  • katholicos
    That 10 i was going to give DD the other day for food, well i didn't give it to her because she was a real pain in the backside that day and she wouldn't even go to get the shopping (and i haven't been shopping for groceries either. YAY). Little toe-rag! Made a nice cold pasta salad this evening which we ate with homeaked bread. Hope you all have a super duper weekend!
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • Mothership

Mothership if you are around can you clarify something for me about the 2nd purse system (I am obv a bit thick where these things are concerned!) do I take it that you buy your stocks when on offer with the 2nd purse money, put them away, then do you pay back the purse the full retail value of the item say for example a box of teabags as and when you take the box from your stock to start using??

The only thing with me is that I tend to buy all my groceries either when a) they are on offer anyway as I am not fussed by brands or b)if no good offer on branded then the basic/cheapy options.....do you think this would still work for me as I love the idea....

I thought I would put the difference between my budget for June and what I actually spend in the purse to start me off,then put 10 a week in...
    Originally posted by 69chick
    I keep a note of what I use and pay the purse back when I have the funds. I don't buy anything unless its on offer. I put 10 per month in the 2nd purse.
    Since joining the GC I've been stocking up my freezers using the 2nd purse, I pay back 3 per day for any food I take from it and use the 2nd Purse for re-stocking. I've been buying most of our meat from Donald Russell.
    My grocery shopping is 1/4 of what it was last year. I've not spent much at all this month, I only need to buy perishables like bread/milk/fruit/veg. I look for opportunities ie; whoopsied veg, then build our meals round them. I spent 60p in A**A last night and got enough veg to do us 5-6 days. It felt soooooo good going into a supermarket and walking out with two bags full and only spending 60p LOL.

I'm in the middle of my latest experiment, to see how little I can spend.

My cupboards and freezers are bursting, so I only buy things I'm running low on, (top up shops). I think after 30 years of doing this I've reached saturation point.

If your serious about doing this keep a notebook and record everything you buy, write the use by date next to it. So for eg; if you buy 6 of something, write 1 beside it for each item you use, when you get to about 2 left its time to look for an offer. Make sure you rotate your stock.
    I use a really small notepad and pencil, I keep it in the 2nd Purse.
    Good luck with it. As your stock builds , you will notice you need to spend less and less on your weekly shop.

Sorry I didn't answer your question. You decide what you want to pay back, If its a B1G1F offer and I got 2 for 1 I usually charge myself 1 each. Or you could charge yourself 50p each.
    Last edited by Mothership; 17-06-2011 at 10:16 PM.
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
  • supersally01
    Evening all,
    went to Mr M's and spent 70, which was not bad as OH came with me. Working 3 nights now, so made chilli in SC for OH, will last all weekend. Also made chicken Korma for me and DD13 (DS04 won't eat it), leftovers packaged up into take away style packaging complete with rice, so she will not starve whilst I am working!!! LOL!
    My garage stock is growing nicely, got 4 x coke bottles for 4 today. Try to get something every week. Also tried a lot of the value stuff in Mr M today, after reading some of the posts here, DS04 certainly gave the value peaches the thumbs up tonight !!! Have a good weekend all!
  • espresso21
    Well, last night was a complete write-off. The migraine and sickness just got worse and worse over the day so I bought some food on the way home (bit of an overspend unfortunately) and gave it to OH when I got in - told him he had plenty of options as to what he wanted and then I went to bed. That was at about 7pm and I slept on and off till 7 this morning so I guess my body needed it. At least I have woken up headache-free! And hungry!
    69chick - you're right. I get irritated at the way my migraine days mess up the budgetting, but you're absolutely right - it would be far worse if I didn't budget at all!
    Halfasixpence, good idea re the stew. The problem is (as embarrassing as it is to admit) I don't know how to make a stew!
    • metherer
    • By metherer 18th Jun 11, 7:50 AM
    • 560 Posts
    • 3,888 Thanks
    metherer
    Hi

You might all have seen this, but the article highlights how grocery prices have risen since 2006

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2004884/Middle-class-families-squeezed-soaring-food-fuel-bills-leave-900-worse-year.html
    Not heavily in debt, but still trying to sort things out.
    Baby due July 2018.
  • rosieben
    Hello JIL, welcome to the GC

I've added your prawn and chickpea curry recipe to the front page index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 18th Jun 11, 10:46 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,575 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all havent really been on my aproved foods order arrived yesterday and wow thats an awful lot of junk food lol, one of my items were wrong so waiting to hear back around a refund but so far the total is at 72.85 then i went to tesco last night for the kids clothes and got a punnet of grapes for 98p 6 bread rolls for 21p and 2 bottles of pepsi for 2 and 2 brocolli's for 22p and a 60p bag of chips, will update my sig now i'm way over but i'll have plenty of sweets and other rubbish to see us threw the summer

i just had a homemade egg muffin which cost me about 15p to make (reduced muffins and reduced egg ) compared to wat that would cost in that well known place i'm very happy gonna make a tatie and brocolli bake for tea with the last few sorry look spuds and reduced brocolli
    OCT GC 196.12/200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

220Posts Today

3,089Users online

Martin's Twitter