Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 21st Jun 11, 9:51 PM
    • 9,957 Posts
    • 13,247 Thanks
    bylromarha
    • 21st Jun 11, 9:51 PM
    • 21st Jun 11, 9:51 PM
    Find your local college.

Beauty dept: I had a 1 hour reflexology massage last week for 2.50. All through this year I've been having pedicures, manicures, facials - all 1 hour treatments, all under 7 each.

Hair: cut overseen by a tutor - exactly what I wanted for 5, but took longer than normal

Catering: 3 course meal for 2 12.

TBH, it actually costs me more money knowing about it as the treats are so cheap I go more often than I should
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 23-06-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
    • julie777
    • By julie777 21st Jun 11, 11:28 PM
    • 303 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    julie777
    • 21st Jun 11, 11:28 PM
    Watching.............
    • 21st Jun 11, 11:28 PM
    people, nature, whatever.
    We like to go to a nearby river spot which is popular with dog-walkers and mum's and they entertain us for hours with their paddling and stick-throwing/swimming games. If there's no-one around we can just stare at the scenery or explore along the path looking for plants and birds. We are lucky here but I'm sure most people have a little bit of peaceful beauty near to their home if they just look for it. It's such a tonic!
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 22nd Jun 11, 9:06 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    • 22nd Jun 11, 9:06 AM
    • 22nd Jun 11, 9:06 AM
    Book from the charity shop or a magazine (quite often discounted to 1 for weeklies or 2 for glossies - if you can get one with a beauty freebie like nail polish or a face mask or body wash even better), nice hot bath (Boots and Superdrug have nice cheap bath products in their own brand ranges, or try Original Source which is normally a couple of quid) and a big cup of tea. Job done.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 23-06-2011 at 11:24 AM.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
  • Pee
    • 22nd Jun 11, 10:47 AM
    • 22nd Jun 11, 10:47 AM
    My favourite destress is a good book. Either from the supermarket or the charity shop. About twelve hours of pleasure for less than 3.50. Also, if you have friends who enjoy similiar books we all swop them around, which also saves me being like a squirel and storing them! I was very stressed due to different things at work etc and reading a silly girlie thriller really took my mind off it, making me feel better and then deal with things better.
    • BlondeHeadOn
    • By BlondeHeadOn 22nd Jun 11, 10:54 AM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 2,963 Thanks
    BlondeHeadOn
    • 22nd Jun 11, 10:54 AM
    • 22nd Jun 11, 10:54 AM
    Good book for me too - but what about getting them totally free from your local library? I am a huge library fan, have always read lots and it would bankcrupt me if I didn't use the local library.

Best of all, at my local library I can get out 12 books at a time - 12 books! That means that I can pick up books that I am not sure about but want to try, as I have all the other books to read too if the experimental one doesn't work for me.

Also our local library now has an online renewal service so that I can renew the books if I don't want to take them back after 4 weeks, and also sends email reminders a couple of days before the books are due how good is that!

And... libraries also do music and films etc. as well, so well worth a visit.

Luxury!!!
    • UnluckyT
    • By UnluckyT 22nd Jun 11, 11:35 AM
    • 475 Posts
    • 1,317 Thanks
    UnluckyT
    • 22nd Jun 11, 11:35 AM
    • 22nd Jun 11, 11:35 AM
    going for a walk, esp as im lucky to have some parks and niceish scenery/green chain walks.
    thermos of tea, bite to eat or a book and i can loose time and chill for a bit whislt enjoying fresh air, scenery esp when weather good?
    if not a bit of gardening, a soak in the bath with the radio, or even having the radio blaring singing along to it whilst doing a bit of hoovering occasionally works.
    mainly loosing myself in a good book from the local library?
    • Maat
    • By Maat 22nd Jun 11, 12:46 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,933 Thanks
    Maat
    • 22nd Jun 11, 12:46 PM
    • 22nd Jun 11, 12:46 PM
    Local art galleries and museums are usually free and often have events going on throughout the year, as well as changing exhibitions. It's worth checking their websites or the leaflets in your local library.

My local council website has events listings for the borough too for relaxing and fun days out.

I've had concerts in the marketplace, a medieval market, a singing lesson, a car rally and a camera obscura session all for free in the past year, as well as special exhibitions in both my local museum and the art gallery.

I know these things aren't strictly pampering but they are de-stressing as they're interesting and/or fun, giving your mind a break.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 22nd Jun 11, 12:49 PM
    • 22,975 Posts
    • 57,597 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    • 22nd Jun 11, 12:49 PM
    • 22nd Jun 11, 12:49 PM
    Go for a walk in the woods (Forestry Commission)
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 22nd Jun 11, 2:21 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    Bronnie
    Ooh I feel guilty, having read all these wholesome suggestions, because my first thought, when I saw the question, was sex
    • yummymommy
    • By yummymommy 22nd Jun 11, 4:38 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    yummymommy
    Find your local college.

Beauty dept: I had a 1 hour reflexology massage last week for 2.50. All through this year I've been having pedicures, manicures, facials - all 1 hour treatments, all under 7 each.

Hair: cut overseen by a tutor - exactly what I wanted for 5, but took longer than normal

Catering: 3 course meal for 2 12.

TBH, it actually costs me more money knowing about it as the treats are so cheap I go more often than I should
    Originally posted by bylromarha
    What a brilliant idea. I'm on to it now !!!
    The past is over & done & cannot be changed. This is the only moment we can experience - Louise Hay
    "You, yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection."
    -- Buddha
  • MrsWoolfe
    Lol @ Bronnie!

I do most of the things suggested by others- I also recently was having a dig through some old CD's and came accross an old favourite- decided to just put it on and listen- not doing anything else just lay down and listened to the album, sounds silly I know, but I felt so chilled out after that and remembered I used to do that in my teens/through uni sometimes maybe not a whole album but a few songs and it really works- well if you're into music I guess!

Duvet Days are also a must everynow and then- a pot of tea, some munch- can be anything you have in that you enjoy-and either some good books/favourite films/good music just helps to get away from all of the things that stress you out.

I do find though that one of the biggest things for me is spending time with my friends- I am lucky to have a great group of lovely people as friends and seeing/spending time with them keeps me "balanced" even if it's just a cup of tea etc we are good at looking out for each other and it makes a difference if you can have a giggle/off load- laughing is the best destressor ever I think and I hope we always laugh as much together! soppy or what

MrsWoolfe
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 23-06-2011 at 11:25 AM.
    If you're afraid of the big bad Woolfe....beware of the Mrs!

Moved into our first home 31.12.10Loving our little House on a Hill
  • jalkin
    cheap beauty treats
    I usually give my name and number to local beauty treatment shop to contact me when they need a model.
    When you are a model, you get haircuts for really really cheap prices. Once I got permenent curls done for just 10 and they are usually 40-80. I get nails done for 5.

The person who performs treatments are newbies who are getting trained by professional and they dont really mess up. They are just training so you get all done cheaply.
    • Troublemaker66
    • By Troublemaker66 23rd Jun 11, 12:40 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    Troublemaker66
    Yes a walk in the park and a free book at the library are great, and wonderful value, but why not try joining the "Friends" of the park where you can go to lectures or do some tree planting or some such and make friends at the same time. At the library, you might be able to join a reading group to discuss the book of the month, and swop books you don't particularly enjoy for some you like the look of. Make friends in the process and share some lovely cake!
    • pinkfluffybabe
    • By pinkfluffybabe 26th Jun 11, 6:06 PM
    • 2,538 Posts
    • 8,083 Thanks
    pinkfluffybabe
    How about doing some volunteering? It doesn't cost anything and can be really enjoyable. The other bonus is that you will be helping others too.

You can get involved in local groups looking after the park or historical sites, or join an organisation that visits people in hospital who otherwise wouldn't have a visitor, dj on hospital radio or help a charity design a website. There's loads of options, just google for your local Volunteer Centre and see what is available.

I like listening to podcasts too, things like the Desert Island Discs archive are really entertaining and it's fascinating to find out about people's music choices and lives.
    Not buying unnecessary toiletries 2018 - 73/162 UU, 42 IN
    Mortgage Free Wannabe 2018 No.180 765/2000
    1% challenge No.15 - 17% 2 savers No.12 - 98 5p Savers No.3 - 4.75
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.12 - 110.47/150 1p a day Challenge 584.43/667.95
  • brighthair
    oddly, baking and cooking help me relax!!! If I can't sleep I am often up chopping veg, or making hobnobs. Otherwise I like to be near water - either paddling in a stream or we have a garden centre with decking overlooking the water, cup of tea and cream cake ;-)
    • Rummer
    • By Rummer 26th Jun 11, 8:53 PM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    Rummer
    It is the library for me! A nice calm hour or two of reading in a peaceful book filled environment always makes me feel better. That followed by a nice warm bath makes for a lovely evening. Walking and being in the garden is great too and as I try to grow some fruits and veg I get delicious food as well as time to relax.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • Pee
    The library doesn't work for me. I had to ban myself as the fines got silly. This was just me being greedy and taking too many out and then being disorganised about returning and renewing them, partly because of work hours and opening times, so I'm sure it works brilliantly for other people.
    • johnc
    • By johnc 16th Jul 11, 2:53 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    johnc
    Ooh I feel guilty, having read all these wholesome suggestions, because my first thought, when I saw the question, was sex
    Originally posted by Bronnie
    Ha! Great one - though unfortunately not all of us have a Partner for that de-stressing suggestion
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,077Posts Today

6,923Users online

Martin's Twitter