Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge 26th May 11 at 10:29 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2011 at 8:18 PM.
Page 26
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    Just quickly logging in....

small spend of £1.20 needed milk and i couldnt see the usual one i get for 75p so picked up the next cheapest.... big mistake ive managed to pick up full fat milk..... havent had this since i was a small child and it seems like drinking cream now. Hadnt realised i had become so used to drinking 1% fat milk. I will still use it up as i cant stand waste but damn that will teach me for not looking properly.
    HSBC £3223.20 £2060.00
    Cap1 £1724.91 £1782.00
    OD £939.78 £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 15th Jun 11, 8:16 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    Thanks espresso21 I am definitely going to try that recipe

Might do my a!di shop tomorrow, have got my list more or less ready, have enough in the budget for a pretty good shop, but am going to do my best to come in under..
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales £150.00
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 15th Jun 11, 8:26 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 36,167 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    Just quickly logging in....

small spend of £1.20 needed milk and i couldnt see the usual one i get for 75p so picked up the next cheapest.... big mistake ive managed to pick up full fat milk..... havent had this since i was a small child and it seems like drinking cream now. Hadnt realised i had become so used to drinking 1% fat milk. I will still use it up as i cant stand waste but damn that will teach me for not looking properly.
    Originally posted by destroyerofdebt2011
    Water it down. It'll taste better and last longer......

I made Millie's cookies today with a recipe from somewhere off the MSE site. They're lovely.
  • WelshWoofer
    Was just about to make a little list of bits (mostly fruit) that I need to last until shopping day on Saturday but then had a brainwave.....

I had frozen raspberries in the freezer (of all places!) and a bag of cooking apples - so hey presto, I have fruit raspberries and stewed apple that will last until the big shop - hurrah! Saved myself at least £5 or so as I can never just buy what I need!

Also, I'll make a sweet potato or chickpea curry tomorrow for tea to use up fridge bits rather than buying something else.

I think I'm back on the OS wagon!
  • espresso21
    Thanks espresso21 I am definitely going to try that recipe

r..
    Originally posted by 69chick
    Hope you like it! Hubby and I really enjoy it. I make parathas (just flour and water really, a little ghee / butter if you're feeling flush) and serve like that. The potatoes make it go further too.
  • espresso21
    Hey, I just realised that it's half way through the month today and have spent less than half my budget! Yay!!!
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    Water it down. It'll taste better and last longer......

Originally posted by CRANKY40

Thankyou.... i really hadnt thought about that. I should be good till month end now if i freeze some excess milk so i can water the rest down
    HSBC £3223.20 £2060.00
    Cap1 £1724.91 £1782.00
    OD £939.78 £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 16th Jun 11, 8:16 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all, another nsd for me today, gonna throw some pag bol in the slow cooker in abit for tea

i only like full fat milk all the others do just taste like watery milk lol, i know it's not as healthy but i don't care, all my kids prefer full fat aswell
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
    • toddles*
    • By toddles* 16th Jun 11, 8:36 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    I made Millie's cookies today with a recipe from somewhere off the MSE site. They're lovely.
    link please?! I love millies cookies

Spent another £6.70 in MrS just a few top up bits. Really trying hard to use up the chest freezer this month and its paying off.
    Got a nice joint of pork in the SC for tea. Today will be pork, stuffing, mash veg.
    Then tomrrow lunch will be hot roast pork stuffing sandwiches and then special fried rice for tea with the rest of the pork. I always add a few prawns too so never need much pork.
    Happy days
  • rosieben
    link please?! I love millies cookies ...
    Originally posted by toddles*
    Millie's cookies are in the front page index post#7

espresso, I've put your mince recipe in the index; I'll be trying that one, thank you
    Last edited by rosieben; 16-06-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • allie23
    • By allie23 16th Jun 11, 10:44 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 14,594 Thanks
    allie23
    Hi all
    I am not doing well at all this month. Only have about £25 left but shoudl be able to (just) get by on that.

Today I am totally disorganised with lunches and dinners as I have been ill over the past few days. Back at work today and have gone to the co-op to get a sandwich for my lunch. Couldn't believe the price - £2.65 for a chicken wrap thing. I have got to get organised - could easily have made similar for alot less than that.
    Allie
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 16th Jun 11, 12:10 PM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 29,760 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...we are having a use it up day today....chicken in a pie...peeper and a bit of bacon in a quiche...a couple of tablespoons of mince meat in sweet mince pies...browning bananas in a loaf...cant stand waste...i hate throwing food away....sometimes it leads to strange combos

i have decidied to go down the one shop a week route...if we run out tough....i am sick of going out for milk and spending £40....so cold turkey it is...thats no shop visits not the filling of a leftovers pie

regards tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 16th Jun 11, 12:29 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 6,698 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    finally had a NSD yesterday (not that I've been religiously watching them!) It makes you realise how much and how often you do just "pop down to the shop" when you dont do it for once! eep! were going on hol on saturday so trying to use up freezer and fridge stuff and had a lovely "pub grub" meal last night of bangers (found in the freezer) and mash! yums!

hope everyone's doing better than me at this GC malarky!

ps. on the subject of hols would you guys include the money spent on food on hol in the GC or would you keep it separate as 'leisure'? if I do include it i'm going to be WAY over!
    Last edited by bargainhunterss; 16-06-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: duh! typo!
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 16th Jun 11, 12:32 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 6,698 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    Hi all
    I am not doing well at all this month. Only have about £25 left but shoudl be able to (just) get by on that.

Today I am totally disorganised with lunches and dinners as I have been ill over the past few days. Back at work today and have gone to the co-op to get a sandwich for my lunch. Couldn't believe the price - £2.65 for a chicken wrap thing. I have got to get organised - could easily have made similar for alot less than that.
    Allie
    Originally posted by allie23
    I know! bought sandwiches these days are ridiculous! I think you can let yourself off though, esp if your ill! I did that a couple of days ago when our ceiling by the kitchen caved in and I just couldnt face making anything *guily as charged*!
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 16th Jun 11, 12:41 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Just opened a can of the T3sco value curry sauce @ 8p. Wasn't expecting much, but it's really rather nice. More sweet than spicy, so I might add some curry powder to it for my veggie curry tonight.

No spends for a few days, I agree that just staying out of the shop helps. I was going to go in to pick up more of the 20p (now 38p) pasta sauce, but I don't actually need it! Just wanted to stock up. But I'll do that when I actually need something.

My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
    • TheThriftyScrumpers
    • By TheThriftyScrumpers 16th Jun 11, 12:54 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    TheThriftyScrumpers
    NSD today We are having left over chilli tonight. It always tastes better the next day. I managed to hide loads of veggies in the kids spag bol last night - little did they know but they were happily munching away on celery, carrot and brocolli that I whizzed up small in the food processor. Felt very MSE as it made it go further and used up all the sad veg in the fridge and contributed to their 5 a day!!

Half way through a list of what's in the freezer and will put off SM visit until Sunday in an effort to use what I have before I buy new.
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
    • TheThriftyScrumpers
    • By TheThriftyScrumpers 16th Jun 11, 1:06 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    TheThriftyScrumpers
    Seductive Smile - This is a really nice mince meal :-

Chilli-Lime Meatballs

Sauce

240g Teriyaki Sauce
    2 Tbsp Lime Juice
    2 Tsp Curry Paste (either Thai Red or Any Patak's type)

Meatballs

500g Mince of your choice
    25g breadcrumbs or porridge oats
    1 egg
    1 clove garlic
    2 tsp fresh ginger (optional)
    1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
    2 tsp Curry Paste of your choice
    1-2 Spring Onions thinly sliced

Combine Mince, breadcrumbs (or oats), egg, garlic, cayenne, ginger (if using) and curry paste. Mix Well. Make about 40 Meatballs. You can then either Pan fry (for about 10 - 15 mins) or Oven cook (about 20 - 30 mins) on an oiled tray at about 180.

Pour sauce into a microwaveable jug, add lime juice and curry paste and mix. Heat in Microwave.

I usually serve this on a bed of spaghetti with meatballs and sauce on top and then sprinkled with spring onions. Also nice with a salad.

The meatballs freeze well. I usually mix everything but the curry paste and spices and make some plain for the kids, then add the curry paste for OH and I.
    GC Mar 11 £437.08Apr 11 £459.26 May 11 £485.52 June 11 £423.79July 11 £409.22 Aug 11 £250.10Sept 11 £396.14Oct 11 £382.37Nov 11 £372.55Dec 11 £332.29 Jan 12 £375.19:Feb 12 £349.58Mar 12 £279.66Apr 12 £249.12May 12 £337.66/Jun 12 £362.58/Jul 12 £317.03/Aug 12 £354.02/Sept £439.72/Oct 12 £210.16
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 16th Jun 11, 2:05 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    they are lovely arnt they , i make them for the kids regularly

done my weekly shop , spent far more than i intended ( havent totted it up yet) i went to a!di and the super 6 were quite good for me , i picked the cherry toms , mango , little gems, kiwi and onions

also went to sainsbobs and t3sco , its time consuming but does save me .( except when DH wants £10 worth of beer )
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 16th Jun 11, 2:55 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    i still have 20 jars of the 20p pasta sauce, we acually having in in our spag bol tonight it smells yummy but i'm finding it very watery so only using half for all of us, i'm tempted to make a few mini pizzas with the rest but my freezers to full to fit them in, so i might just freeze the rest of the sauce and use it next week, i'm also gonna freeze half my spag bol because i've made far too much so thats another meal
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 16th Jun 11, 3:23 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 10,214 Thanks
    Living proof
    I see from the news that what we are all doing is having some effect on food buying in general - it is down over 3% on the year, and was described in the Independent as a food 'slump'. Not good for anyone who works in the food and retail industry, but my only suprise is that it took such a long time filtering through to the figures. I'm sure some of us have been cutting back for years.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,727Posts Today

7,536Users online

Martin's Twitter