Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge 26th May 11 at 10:29 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2011 at 8:18 PM.
Page 17
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 7th Jun 11, 10:26 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    Baking Soda
    Silly question time If a recipe calls for baking soda (banana bread/cake recipe on index) is it the same as baking powder as that's what I have in?

Have some nanas to use up (seems like a common theme on here at the moment )
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales £150.00
  • espresso21
    Having a thoroughly awful day here - work keeps emailing and phoning basically trying to figure out a way they can cut my hours even more. I am fighting my corner (a contract has to mean something surely!) but it's a thoroughly miserable feeling having to beg to be allowed to keep your hours so you can earn enough to survive on (and they seem completely unprepared to negotiate in any way!) and I've been there for years so you would think a bit of loyalty would be in order - but maybe that's an outdated concept nowadays. They are not helping with my stress levels!!! It's making me feel really miserable and unappreciated.
    Oh well...just had soup for lunch - wasn't really in the mood for anything more substantial and it needed to be used up anyway.
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 7th Jun 11, 12:15 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 6,700 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    Argh, another £5.68 spent yesterday! got a few bargains though, £1 Bisto from one of the pound emporiums, a snip I thought!
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."

Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 7th Jun 11, 12:17 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 6,700 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    hope you maange to resolve the situation espresso21, hang in there and stay strong! (that sounded really cheesy...sorry!)
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."

Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want
  • espresso21
    Thanks Bargainhunters! I am trying really but I seem to be getting emails every 30 min from my work trying to find another way to cut my hours. I won't use the word I really want to call them on here!!!
  • crockpot
    Well took little ds out for lunch today and went into mr t's spent another £4 on some pots, light bulb and choc muffins picked up a mr t direct book.

Was in the kitchen sorting tea and a strange noise came from lounge, ds 'lost' his lunch over the carpet and my new book! Never seen so much vomit in my life! Cleaned it up and put some bicarbonate down, a quick vac and windows open, poor thing, but he is ok now and has asked what's for tea!

Spent £62 this week so far,my week ends Friday, so in target, hoping for ands tomorrow.
  • espresso21
    O dear, sorry about the vomit situation Crockpot!
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone, glad the sun is shining again today.

Dinner tonight, HM Cottage Pie, no pud as I have made choc chip cookies.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 7th Jun 11, 4:37 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    I'm hanging my head in shame. Couldn't resist going to Mr T's today to spend yet more money on the smoothie glitch! 12 x 1 litre bottles for £6.05 when they are £2.29 each

I'll justify it by saying it'll be more healthy for me!!

Espresso 21 obviously without knowing the ins & outs it's hard to comment, but with a contract, the only way your employers can reduce your hours is to go into official consultation with you. Unless you agree, which I assume you don't. I'm no expert but feel free to pm me if you want, and I could offer you my (very non expert) opinion.

Keep your chin up
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 7th Jun 11, 4:46 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    Two weeks left of the month for me. Not doing too bad. I think me going veggie has helped. My shopping came today. I stocked up on pasta and rice.

I have just baked some soda bread. I am having a roasted vegetable tart this evening and the gang are having fish, salad and new potatoes. I plan to do a lot more baking tomorrow and freeze some of the herbs from the garden.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
    • JIL
    • By JIL 7th Jun 11, 4:48 PM
    • 4,392 Posts
    • 23,897 Thanks
    JIL
    Just use enough pre-sliced Emmenthal to cover the top of the sauce, I used kitchen scissors to cut it to fit LOL. Pop the rest in the freezer for next time. I used the Asda 50p sheets as well.
    The Aldi Emmenthal and Sundried tomatoes were the cheapest I found,
    I've tried the white sauce with both cream cheese and dairylee, I've made it 3 times, the 2nd /3rd time the meat sauce was best as I used the oil from the jar to fry the garlic and onions. I've tried it with both tinned and fresh tomatoes, the fresh tomato sauce was far superior, great if you can find reduced ones like I did.

UPDATE just found sundried tomatoes in olive oil in home bargains for £1 a jar , they had Turkish ones for 89p they looked black so didn't buy them.
    Originally posted by Mothership
    Thank you its in the oven now, with the Aldi sundried tomatoes and the Aldi cheese slices. It is looking good.

You made me smile when you wrote about using scissors to cut the cheese. When my son was at his first year in uni and in the halls of residence he cooked a pizza and cut it into slices with scissors, he said it is something he had seen me do and had not thought it out of the ordinary, however the other students were very amused. He said by the time he left they had all ditched their pizza wheels and were all doing it!! I use scissors for everything in the kitchen I cut my cheese and lasagne strips with them today.
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 7th Jun 11, 5:05 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    I am having a roasted vegetable tart this evening
    Originally posted by laineyc
    Mmm, sounds nice. Any chance of a recipe?

I'm not veggie, but rarely eat meat. Pretty much live off various pasta meals. But this, I quite fancy.

My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
  • dark_angel 2002
    Done my weekly shop £31.22 spent not bad below budget
    Mum £3918.57 owed £350 paid E.on £256.45 owed £30.00 paid
    Rent Paid Council paid
    Total £5101.14 £3795.02
    June grocery challenge £93.32/£160
    100 day challenge E.on £256.45/£226.45
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 7th Jun 11, 6:08 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    Mmm, sounds nice. Any chance of a recipe?

I'm not veggie, but rarely eat meat. Pretty much live off various pasta meals. But this, I quite fancy.

Originally posted by CherryPie
    Hi Cherry Pie, tonight I used puff pastry but I sometimes make shortcrust. I roasted aubergine, red pepper, mushrooms and onion earlier when I was baking my bread. I roll the pastry into a round, put a bit of passatta on, put veg on top and crumbled some goat's cheese on top. You can use any veg you want and any cheese you have in the fridge. I sometimes just put carmelised red onions and goats cheese on the puff pastry and it is lovely too.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
  • espresso21
    Cherrypie, thanks for your advice. I thought that was the way it worked but my employer is being very persistent - my line manager is seeming very sweet and friendly with a 'there's nothing else we can do' way about her but really what she is doing is trying to back me in to a corner. I guess I will have to face her tomorrow. It just makes me so mad how people are using the recession to justify all sorts of things and when I think of all the unpaid time I donated there as well..... Oh well, I will have to speak to her face to face tomorrow. Can't say I'm looking forward to that - she can be highly defensive and that's when she's at her most dangerous! Thanks for the support though.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 7th Jun 11, 7:21 PM
    • 3,348 Posts
    • 34,483 Thanks
    XSpender
    Dashed into Mr S before I had to pick DS up from DMIL for a couple of bits. Bought just what was on my list and spent £8 odd. Got 4 x 4 pinters of milk on the 2 for £2 offer so that should keep us going for a couple of weeks.

We are sticking to the meal plan and had chilli, batch cooked back in Jan, and wedges for tea. Defrosted some whoopsied mash for tomorrow to go with sausage casserole and green beans.
    Last edited by XSpender; 07-06-2011 at 7:27 PM. Reason: Got my figures wrong
    • ragz
    • By ragz 7th Jun 11, 8:54 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    £5 spend today on milk and eggs. Rather too far into my budget even though I forgot some things off my list the other day but I can change the meal plan rather than shop again I think as I have plenty of milk and bread.
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 7th Jun 11, 8:55 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Well, having just discovered the t£sco 1p thread (thanks to Cherrypie!!), I went there tonight to see what I could find. There were no h-pride jars, but there was some chicken 0x0 for 10p and the smoothies went through as well! I was really pleased with those - £2.29 each, buy 2 for £3 AND BOGOF! Two litres of smoothie for £1.21! Awesome! I bought 8 of them, so that should keep me going for a while! The date on them is mid July too, so even better. Such a good price of 60 odd pence per litre!

All in all, spent £16.72, but got 5 bags full for that! I feel another addiction coming on - oh no!

Night all
    PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • espresso21
    Yep, that 1p thread certainly is great - thanks to Cherrypie for drawing my attention to it!
    Did anyone hear the news today - Electricity to go up 19% in August!!!
  • rosieben
    lainey, I've added your Roasted Vegetable Tart to the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,616Posts Today

8,739Users online

Martin's Twitter