Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 11, 10:29 PM
    June 2011 Grocery Challenge 26th May 11 at 10:29 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2011 at 8:18 PM.
Page 11
    • *Twizzle*
    • By *Twizzle* 4th Jun 11, 8:15 AM
    • 168 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    *Twizzle*
    BAH! Just checked and not on the list!!!! So am declaring 120 for June. First shop after work today...focus...focus....focus!!!!!!!

Spike x
  • helen jelly
    Hi everyone

Mothership - love and hugs for you and yours

Hippiechiq and Spiggle - missing you both and hope you are ok

Need to update siggy, not been spending much as we are away tomorrow to St Ives so trying to keep the spending down in order to have some money for the hol but........... DH is having a bad time sleeping - the bed is very uncomfortable and as we can not afford a new one I'm going to buy a Memory Foam Topper and hope that it does the job and cures his constant morning backache [half price in DunElm]

Have a cracking week everyone, no illnesses please

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 4th Jun 11, 1:31 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    Hi all ...I am quite excited as I have just won a 2nd hand kenwood chef on ebay...was round at a friends the other day and she was using hers that she has had for years..I like baking but it seemed to make things easier and also ds was helping and it was safer for him...sooo looking forward to using it..

Had another spend in Mr T's today (mainly stuff I couldn't get or forgot yesterday in A!di) will add to my sig later...

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend,min unfortunately is blighted by hayfever,but I am looking forward to going to see a show (footloose) with my mum later
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales 150.00
  • rosieben
    I know I can be a bit of a nag about meal planning and shopping lists but if you want some other opinions take a look at Feeling Strange about my shop tomorrow - it was a separate thread now merged with Meal Planning

Last edited by rosieben; 04-06-2011 at 2:00 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • missblonde
    • By missblonde 4th Jun 11, 2:46 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 260 Thanks
    missblonde
    Just done next weeks shopping at Morrisons. Bought more than I needed as OH decided to invite his mum round for lunch so I got some french stick and cheeses etc and we were supposed to have friends round and have a takeaway but they can't make it so got something quick for dinner. Came to 52.73 so still less than normal and I shouldn't need to do any top-up shopping in the week, fingers crossed!
    "Born to shop, forced to work!"

• scotsaver
    Finally got round to logging on to post Cumberland Pie recipe, it's from "Second Helpings from the Dinner Lady" cookbook:-

900g (2lb) potatoes, peeled and quartered
    50ml (2floz) milk, warmed
    25g (1oz) butter
    450g (1lb) good sausages, chopped into small pieces
    olive oil
    225g (8oz) onions, peeled and diced
    1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
    225g (8oz) carrots, peeled and diced
    4 peppers - any colour, deseeded and sliced
    a pinch of dried thyme
    2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes

Preheat oven to 180 degrees

Put the potatoes in a pan, cover with water and boil until soft, mash with the milk and butter and leave in the Saucepan.
    Put the Sausage pieces in a large ovenproof dish, big enough to hold all the ingredients, lightly brown in the oven for 10 mins.
    Heat the oil in a pan and cook the onions, garlic, carrots, peppers with the thyme until soft, about 8 mins, then add the Tomatoes and their juices. Stir the mixture and bring to the boil. Pour the mixture over the Sausages in the large oven dish then spoon the mash over, fork it so that it covers the sausage mixture.
    Pop back in the oven and bake for 40 mins.

A perfect all-in-one type dish but you could serve it with more veg on the side, grated cheese on top of the mash etc etc.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• cat_smith
    Had a naughty shop at the Summer Fete. 8.46. But very good quality local meat.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
  • Mothership
    I know I can be a bit of a nag about meal planning and shopping lists but if you want some other opinions take a look at Feeling Strange about my shop tomorrow - it was a separate thread now merged with Meal Planning

Originally posted by rosieben
    ROTFLMAO! THATS WHAT I WAS DOING for the first two months of the GC.

We really DONT need a lot of the stuff we think we do, an unplanned shopping trip is what the SM want (all these things laid out to tempt you). My food shop is 1/4 of what it used to be.

I've also reached the point where I hardly need to spend anything, I've been managing on around 1- 2 per day on top up shops for bread milk fruit and veg.

The 2nd Purse sits with money in it just waiting for an opportunity or something I'm running low on. It takes a while to build up a stock, but once you do you need less for your weekly shop.
    I've managed to save 2,900 since October, all that money used to go on FOOD.
    I used to go to the SM every few days, now I only go when I'm after a special offer, and I go to all the different ones, while I'm there I look for opportunities (whoopsies) mostly fruit and veg, then I plan our meals round them.

I've never spent so little , got so much, and had so much FUN doing it.
    Go out with the mindset 'How little can I spend!'

Lasagna tomorrow (I will write the recipe and post it).
    Scotsaver Love the Cumberland pie recipe, will definitely try that one.

BIG HUGS to all that need them.
    1st Purse 114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse 100
    Fridge Freezer 300 3rd Purse /290.94
    • *Twizzle*
    • By *Twizzle* 4th Jun 11, 4:24 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 948 Thanks
    *Twizzle*
    Afternoon

Shop for the week has been done 35.50 Although 5.50 over budget i am still pleased

Tweezle x
  • Hippeechiq
    Hello everyone

toddles* I'm sorry to read you have gestational diabetes hun.
    I'm afraid I don't know much about it myself, but there is a thread HERE which might be of help to you.
    It's regarding Type 2 Diabetes, but there may be members on there who have some knowledges of gestational diabetes.
    Also, you may have already looked on it, but the DIABETES UK WEBSITE may be helpful too

I'm fine(ish) thanks LTS Chloris & Helen
    DD is still having stomach problems and in a lot of pain, and it's really dragging her down both physically and mentally.
    She had a gastroscopy last Wednesday which didn't shed any light on the situation, and she has an Ultrasound Scan this coming Wednesday to check her gall bladder for stones. I just wish we could get to the bottom of it.

Anyhoo - back to the GC.
    Cumberland Pie sounds lush scotsaver, so thanks for posting

I'm struggling with the 2nd purse. Because money is so tight, I have difficulty finding the 10 to add to it every month and I have difficulty paying it back when I use something. I'll give it a couple more months and then I'll have to concede that I either don't have the right mind set/understanding/enough money to do it or all three.

Came in roughly 2 under budget last month, which is better than over and really can't be improved upon, I don't think. So Mrs Mcawber could you put
    Hippeechiq down for 240 for June please.

Good Luck for June everyone
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 4th Jun 11, 5:34 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 6,698 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    afternoon everyone! and a special hello to any international football widows out there!

just a quick mention to anyone looking to buy non-bio washing powder. Mr. A has a deal on at the moment for a 52 wash box of Persil for 5, which i think is quite a good deal!

hope everyone's having a nice (if slightly overcast) day!
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 4th Jun 11, 6:09 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi All,
    Don't know how but I've managed to spend less than I thought, I keep a spending diary and religiously keep it up to date, when I checked this against my signature here, I had spent less, so thats good. I've done a shops at sainsbugs this week, as I had an 8 off 40 spend,, i'll do the same next week and use the last of the vouchers they sent, might have to stock up on a few bits, as I don't think I really need 40's worth of food, but it will all come.
    Need to menu plan, as the only meals left on my list is curries, and there's only so many of those you can eat in a week!
    Have a good week everyone x
    2018 G/C 2951.61/2250
    Vouchers used 553.23
    Extra money 250
    2019 G/C 1562.56
    Vouchers: 141.40
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 4th Jun 11, 6:14 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 10,217 Thanks
    Living proof
    A fairly quiet shop for me today. It's hard to know what to make of the salad and veg situation, but hey! we have to eat. I got THE most enormous pineapple in Lidl for 1. I buy one every week anyway and have a 1" slice for breakfast. I kid you not, the one today is about a foot high so should last two weeks! I don't expect to do much more shopping except fresh stuff and milk for the rest of the month, as I hope to be away from 28th and will have to eat everything up before then. I hope the drought in the south and the e-coli scare doesn't mean that the food people are confident of buying will go up greatly in price, because a lot of the posters here are having trouble coping as it is. I hope you all find at least one really good bargain this weekend, 'cos it lifts the spirits without lightening the purse unduly.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
  • Long tall sally
    Hi, just updated signature with a few spends. I did a stock take of my freezer the other day & calculated that I had at least 75 people's worth of meals in there which even with 4-6 of us in the house, still equates to around 18 days worth. It actually made me feel quite stressed seeing how much was in there!

Hippeechiq - I hope your DD has better luck this week with the medical investigations. It must really be getting her and you down with it all. Even without any mental health problems, it must be very depressing for anyone to be in constant physical pain and the fact that the doctors have not as yet discovered the reason for the pain, must be ever so difficult. Big hugs to you.

Spiggle - where are you hun, we miss you.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 4th Jun 11, 6:24 PM
    • 651 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    Chloris
    Okay, farm shop done at last. Sausages, sausagemeat, bit of bacon, tray of eggs and a ham joint. Signature updated. It is looking tight but apart from a chicken, maybe, we have all the meat and eggs we need. The freezer is packed.

Hippeechiq hope the investigations give your daughter some answers. x
    Spigs hope you are okay. x
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 4th Jun 11, 7:17 PM
    • 3,985 Posts
    • 24,039 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    I had my Mr T order today which has taken a large chunk of my budget but I am hoping that I have shopped well (for want of a better word) and that my remaining shops of the month will be small. I think the trick will be to perhaps visit the Mr T Metro once a week for the odd item - yogurt / bread / fruit and not five times a week like in May!

A word of caution if you have home delivery. I ordered two packs of steak - both packs were charged at the same price which I thought was strange. On checking, I have noted that one pack was cheaper! so I have contacted customer services to arrange a refund. When I am unpacking my shopping, I am mentally ticking things off the list but I never think to check the price labels on the items which are price on day of delivery (because of the weight) I shall be more observant in future.

I made a banoffee pie today and I am disappearing now to get a huge slice!

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th Jun 11, 7:40 PM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 34,469 Thanks
    XSpender
    Nipped to Mr S for a couple of things I forgot when I went on Thursday. Pack of basics ham, basics nappy bags and some Mr S own brand crisps for lunches next week.

I have done my meal plan up to and including the 22nd and if I stick to the list it will come to 30 if I can use my last few nectar points.

The good news is I found half a pack of nappies at the back of DS wardrobe so I will not need any more until after pay day...phew...Did notice I had less bread in the freezer than I thought so I will need to buy a couple of loaves to get us through to the end of the month.

DH has been out for a couple of beers with his friend and is snoring in the chair...that's saved me a meal on the meal plan for him lol
  • cat_smith
    Had some whoopsied Mr T Finest Sirloin for dinner. Not a patch on th DR. Think less frequently and better is the way to go.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 4th Jun 11, 9:52 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    I started last month so organised, and I was noting everything I spent, and in what category into a spreadsheet. Never done that before, and it was a real eye opener. Trouble is, got to about the 23rd of the month, then stopped! And I spent quite a bit of money in those last few days! I am determined to do better this month, and I have set up the spreadsheet again. Not doing to badly so far gc-wise, I have spent 23.60 out of my 100. This is really good for me, as I'm normally over half way by now!! I like the fact that I have spent 23% of my money, although I have only had 13% of my month. Still tomorrow will be a nsd - my children have asked for a lazy day (where we choose whether or not to get dressed, and we just stay indoors or in the garden, playing with toys, watching telly, doing gardening, etc) as we have been out somewhere every day this half term holiday. Which is lovely, but sometimes you just need to shut the world out and play with your toys!! Hopefully Monday will also be a nsd, as i start a new role at work and so will be busier (and earning more!). This would put my month gone at 20% vs a spend of 23%, which i will be much more happy with.

Have decided that it is stupid for me to do a big monthly shop at the beginning of the month, as it sets me up to fail with my budget, and I don't need the stuff anyway. Was reading the feeling weird about shopping thread earlier, and I was agreeing whole-heartedly with it - I go because that's what I've always done, and that's what i feel i should do. Duh!! If i have the stuff in my house, i don't need to go and buy it again!! Oh my word - I bet the rich version of me would be giving me a right good a$$-whooping if they could meet me!! And i was just browsing in AP and DR - WHY!!!!! I don't need anything!

Hmm...
    Hope everyone is well and resisting temptation/habits better than I am this month!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • slbhill
    • By slbhill 4th Jun 11, 10:36 PM
    • 5,208 Posts
    • 363,169 Thanks
    slbhill
    Am having an absolute nightmare!

Have lost count of what I've spent on groceries.

Half term, had a menu plan, but everynight someone has wanted something different, so I have given up
    Originally posted by Pixie Fairydust
    Don't feel too bad about it Pixie - you're becoming more aware of your spends which will help, and you'll soon find a system that works for you. Don't just give up til next week, jump right back onto that bandwagon, we've all fallen off on occcasion!

Menu plans work really well once everyone gets used to them, but they can take a lot of effort to get up and running. Might it help to ask everyone what they think should be on it and try working round that? Let each person choose what you'll be having on a particular day next week, then you'll have some support trying to stick to the plan! Or something along those lines, whatever works for you is the right answer! Good luck, hope it starts to come together for you soon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,038Posts Today

7,899Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • This is why I wrote the guide to financial abuse. It's tough to know when it's happening to you. It's also worth? https://t.co/XGI2sI7hOU

• RT @David_Challen: Really happy @MartinSLewis is raising awareness of economic/financial abuse. My mother cleaned her cousins home for poc?

• Has anyone successfully reclaimed PPI on behalf of a deceased relative. I'm doing a blog on how to do it, and I'd? https://t.co/PHXJXCzvc6

• Follow Martin