Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 3rd Jun 11, 2:46 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Tesco launches fee free concert ticket service
    • 3rd Jun 11, 2:46 PM
    MSE News: Tesco launches fee free concert ticket service 3rd Jun 11 at 2:46 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Consumers can now buy concert tickets without incurring booking fees or card charges, which many companies add on ..."

Page 1
    • photome
    • By photome 3rd Jun 11, 4:23 PM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 9,495 Thanks
    photome
    • 3rd Jun 11, 4:23 PM
    • 3rd Jun 11, 4:23 PM
    I am all for saving money, and agree that the fees per ticket are often to high BUT I hate the thought of Tescos getting bigger and bigger and more powerful, there may come a day further down the line where Tescos is the ONLY option and then of course they can charge whatever they like
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 4th Jun 11, 12:38 AM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 7,388 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    • 4th Jun 11, 12:38 AM
    • 4th Jun 11, 12:38 AM
    I don't think Ticketmaster will be going bust in the near future.

I see that Tesco is fronting for Lastminute.com and in some cases Lastminute.com is fronting for someone in the murky world of second hand tickets.

It is the same idea as Tesco fronting for the Mark Group when you order solar panels.
    Last edited by John_Pierpoint; 04-06-2011 at 12:51 AM.
    • photome
    • By photome 4th Jun 11, 7:22 AM
    • 13,974 Posts
    • 9,495 Thanks
    photome
    • 4th Jun 11, 7:22 AM
    • 4th Jun 11, 7:22 AM
    I don't think Ticketmaster will be going bust in the near future.

I see that Tesco is fronting for Lastminute.com and in some cases Lastminute.com is fronting for someone in the murky world of second hand tickets.

It is the same idea as Tesco fronting for the Mark Group when you order solar panels.
    Originally posted by John_Pierpoint

Nor do I think they will in the NEAR future, but how many companys have Tesco put out of business over the years.
  • swingofthings
    • 4th Jun 11, 9:01 AM
    • 4th Jun 11, 9:01 AM
    Just to get the debate going ...

i always get confused by the argument that Tesco is too big. Tesco are getting bigger because people are buying more and more from them. If you don't want Tesco to get bigger, you don't shop there. But the fact is that Tesco is getting bigger because more and more people are shopping there so you cannot be holding the national view?!
    • Nessie23
    • By Nessie23 4th Jun 11, 5:48 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Nessie23
    • 4th Jun 11, 5:48 PM
    • 4th Jun 11, 5:48 PM
    Just to get the debate going ...

i always get confused by the argument that Tesco is too big. Tesco are getting bigger because people are buying more and more from them. If you don't want Tesco to get bigger, you don't shop there. But the fact is that Tesco is getting bigger because more and more people are shopping there so you cannot be holding the national view?!
    Originally posted by swingofthings
    People don't always have the choice, for example I live in a relative large town with a population of near 30,000 and yet the only shops that sell food are large supermarkets. I would more than happily by my groceries from an independent retailer, the problem is there aren't any left
    • vanmann
    • By vanmann 4th Jun 11, 5:58 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    vanmann
    • 4th Jun 11, 5:58 PM
    • 4th Jun 11, 5:58 PM
    Considering the number of people who hate Tescos and complain about the number of stores how is it that we never see Tesco stores shutting down for lack of custom
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 5th Jun 11, 1:59 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 5th Jun 11, 1:59 PM
    • 5th Jun 11, 1:59 PM
    People don't always have the choice, for example I live in a relative large town with a population of near 30,000 and yet the only shops that sell food are large supermarkets. I would more than happily by my groceries from an independent retailer, the problem is there aren't any left
    Originally posted by Nessie23
    Which town? I find it incredibly hard to believe there are no local food shops - even the likes of a corner shop.
    • John_Pierpoint
    • By John_Pierpoint 5th Jun 11, 2:56 PM
    • 8,248 Posts
    • 7,388 Thanks
    John_Pierpoint
    • 5th Jun 11, 2:56 PM
    • 5th Jun 11, 2:56 PM
    Tesco is running the corner shops too these days.
    And running them well - no more stories about switching off the freezer to save on the electricity bill.
  • Money_User
    Which town? I find it incredibly hard to believe there are no local food shops - even the likes of a corner shop.
    Originally posted by callum9999
    Same, I live in a small town with a population of around 2000 and it has shops in. I think people just say things like this but in reality they don't use their local shops due to parking costs, more walking, probably smaller ranges but try and claim that their only option is using a Supermarket.
  • mummyplus3
    Eeek Tesco taking over the world!

• moneypooh
    • By moneypooh 5th Jun 11, 10:37 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 1,485 Thanks
    moneypooh
    Originally posted by callum9999
    Yep, I live in 'Tesco town', even featured on the BBC. We have 7 tescos and 28K people. Even our local independants all became tesco express a few years back
    • Nessie23
    • By Nessie23 5th Jun 11, 11:29 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 124 Thanks
    Nessie23
    Same, I live in a small town with a population of around 2000 and it has shops in. I think people just say things like this but in reality they don't use their local shops due to parking costs, more walking, probably smaller ranges but try and claim that their only option is using a Supermarket.
    Originally posted by Money_User
    Well, I don't own a car so parking costs and walking is not a problem. The issue is that if you want to buy fresh produce (meat, fish, fruit or veg) you are stuck with 2 supermarkets. And the larger proportion of marketshare the supermarket control the less likely we are to get new independent retailers.
  • The_White_Horse
    ticketmaster is the most evil hateful website ever invented. i have stopped going to concerts because of it. it is impossible to buy a ticket where you want to be anymore.

come on tesco, put this horrible company out of business!!!
    • newgirly
    • By newgirly 8th Jun 11, 8:20 AM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 46,829 Thanks
    newgirly
    Fantastic , I have just book 5 tickets for the wanted for my daughters birthday, they were double that price for other gig's elsewhere , plus I get to go the the races too! Bargin.
    MFW 21

72,866.48 left target 10k/ 6,133.52 in 2019
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

218Posts Today

1,910Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin