Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 13th Apr 05, 3:26 PM
    • 4,024Posts
    • 2,576Thanks
    Murtle
    cooked piggy
    • 13th Apr 05, 3:26 PM
    cooked piggy 13th Apr 05 at 3:26 PM
    Please can anyone suggest dishes to use up lots of cooked roast pork???

:confused:
Page 1
    • tiff
    • By tiff 13th Apr 05, 3:50 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 13th Apr 05, 3:50 PM
    • 13th Apr 05, 3:50 PM
    Sweet and sour pork?
  • Queenie
    • 13th Apr 05, 4:04 PM
    Stir fry?

Savoury rice?

I cut some up into strips once and then poured Yorkie Pud over the top (like a Toad In The Hole) .... my family thought it was wonderful!

Some of it you could mince up in a food processor and use as sandwich fillings.

Mince it up, make up some sage and onion stuffing, mix the two together, put in a loaf tin, cook in a moderate oven for about 30 mins to make a meatloaf?

Cold slices with chips and gravy? (lurvely!!)

Cold slices with mash and pickles? (like Boxing Day )

Layer in a dish with some par boiled potatoes that have been sliced, put some pork gravy between layers and cook like a speedy hotpot?

Make into sandwiches, then fry in a little butter: served with a green salad/coleslaw?

That's all I can think of from the top of my head
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    Curry!!!!!!! :d :d :d
    • tiff
    • By tiff 13th Apr 05, 4:05 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 13th Apr 05, 4:05 PM
    • 13th Apr 05, 4:05 PM
    Failing that freeze it into portions for another time.
  • Queenie
    • 13th Apr 05, 4:06 PM
    • 13th Apr 05, 4:06 PM
    Slice it up, layer between greaseproof paper. Wrap appropriately ... freeze!

Will yield a few more roast dinners if you defrost just the required number of slices - no need to heat up, just pour over fresh hot gravy, roast potatoes ... no one will notice
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 13th Apr 05, 4:08 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    • 13th Apr 05, 4:08 PM
    • 13th Apr 05, 4:08 PM
    Please can anyone suggest dishes to use up lots of cooked roast pork???

:confused:
    by Murtle
    YEP. Send them here!
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 14th Apr 05, 8:41 AM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    • 14th Apr 05, 8:41 AM
    • 14th Apr 05, 8:41 AM
    Queenie, you really are a mine of information - as are everyone's elses suggestions. Thanks so much for these, I'll certainly be making good use of these. Does anyone have a yorkshire pud receipe they wouldn't mind sharing, I'll search for one in the threads as well, but thought I'd ask before I forget!!!!

x x x x
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 14th Apr 05, 8:44 AM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    • 14th Apr 05, 8:44 AM
    • 14th Apr 05, 8:44 AM
    YEP. Send them here!
    by squeaky

...but no I'd have nothing left to feed the OH!!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 14th Apr 05, 12:26 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Does anyone have a yorkshire pud receipe they wouldn't mind sharing, I'll search for one in the threads as well, but thought I'd ask before I forget!!!!

x x x x
    by Murtle
    115g Plain flour
    3 large eggs
    1/2pt milk
    pinch salt

It's a Jamie recipe and produces lovely yorkies

Secret to producing perfect yorkies is leave batter to stand an hour or so before using, use beef dripping if possible, but oil will do, and get it as hot as you can before pouring batter in. Even place the tin on the hob while pouring to keep heat up then get it back in oven as fast as you can. Cook in hot oven (gas 7) and don't open the door for at least 30 mins by which time they should be cooked
    Last edited by Curry_Queen; 14-04-2005 at 12:30 PM.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Galtizz
    Pork and apple risotto just add cooked pork and some chopped apple at stage 3.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 14th Apr 05, 2:01 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Pork and apple risotto just add cooked pork and some chopped apple at stage 3.
    by Galtizz
    Mmmmmmmm yummy!!!

I usually make risotto with left-over chicken but this one sounds delish, thanks
    ~

• Galtizz
    Got to admit now, I haven't actually tried pork and apple, but I thought it sounded nice so I'm going to try it (perhaps on Monday, if we have rubber pork on Sunday).

I made my first risotto last week using Jamies recipe. I thought it was going to be difficult to get right but it was easy and scruuuumdiddlyumptious so now I'm turning into a bit of a risotto freak.
  • Queenie
    Galtizz and CQ - curious mind wishes to know (my Mum called it being "nebby" but I prefer the sound of curious mind, far more "cultured", don't you think? ) ...

... what do you serve alongside your risotto's? (If anything)
    Do you eat it as a lunch or as a main meal?

I really love risotto's, but for some peculiar reason, my dh can't get his head around the fact that rice is there "instead" of potatoes :rolleyes:

You do not have to say anything, but anything you do say, will be copied and pasted and used as evidence against Mr Queenie!

TIA
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 14th Apr 05, 2:24 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I made my first risotto last week using Jamies recipe. I thought it was going to be difficult to get right but it was easy and scruuuumdiddlyumptious so now I'm turning into a bit of a risotto freak.
    by Galtizz
    Me too!!!

I saw Jamie and Nigella making it on tv and thought "I can do that", as I'd previously thought it sounded complicated too, but it really is easy peasy to make and so yummy

You have to use proper risotto rice though, I use arborio, as it wouldn't work with anything else, but it's definitely worth paying that little bit extra for it.

Queenie, I've done it for lunch and as a main meal and just served with a nice crusty bit of bread, or if I'm in the mood I'll make something like a foccaccia bread to go with it
    ~

• Galtizz
    Galtizz and CQ -
    ... what do you serve alongside your risotto's? (If anything)
    Do you eat it as a lunch or as a main meal?
    by Queenie
    Had ours as a main meal last week served with bread.

If OH moans make it quite big and tell him, if he's still hungry 20 minutes after eating it all, tell him you'll make him some potatoes next time, or do a pudding. A lot of men (my OH included) seem to think that rice isn't filling, but it is, especially with chicken or pork.
  • Shez
    what to do with cooked pork?
    I cooked a pork joint yesterday (didnt want it to go off), just wondering what i can do with it now apart from slicing it for sandwiches?
  • Queenie
    Slice it, freeze it between pieces of greaseproof paper then take out, defrost when and as necessary to serve with a roast dinner.

Serve it as cold cuts with new potatoes and salad.

Cut into thick slices, then into strips and use it in a Toad-in-the-hole instead of sausages - or use in a stir fry.

Slice and reheat in the oven with left over gravy
  • Shez
    hi queenie,

thanks for tips, bit worried about reheating it, wont it dry out too much??
    • Thistle-down
    • By Thistle-down 18th May 06, 1:01 PM
    • 912 Posts
    • 3,161 Thanks
    Thistle-down
    Slice it into small pieces, re-heat with taco seasoning and have shredded pork tacos or fajitas?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

264Posts Today

4,016Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin