Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Apr 11, 11:45 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Apr 11, 11:45 AM
    May 2011 Grocery Challenge 27th Apr 11 at 11:45 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the fifth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #7 and #8 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-04-2011 at 3:42 PM.
Page 40
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 24th May 11, 8:37 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Well i just couldn`t resist

Just had a run to the Co op for the offers before they change tomorrow and bought more of the 18x triple velvet loo rolls for 5, some more of the 5 for 56 finish dw tabs, 2 rustlers burgers (free with moc) not something that i would normally buy but a freebie is a freebie - a reduced pizza and the PG tips at 2x160 for 5 just over 16 spent on what would have been double that at full price so a very happy me

Right - come on you lot own up lol, who`s been buying all the breadmakers? i`ve just been back to the site where i found the bargain one and there is only the one model left now Spoke to the courier via the supplier today and my new bm arrives Friday WOOP!

69chick - I spent ages dithering over the bm as i already had one that was rubbish and i couldn`t imagine that a different make would be any better. Don`t mind admitting that i was wrong lol. It paid for itself quickly and i waited and got a similar offer to the new one - in fact i paid 3 less for the last one that i`ve used to death I always wait for the free p&p too. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Right i have some siggy updating to do.

Night folks

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • jetbag
    • By jetbag 24th May 11, 9:05 PM
    • 184 Posts
    • 2,333 Thanks
    jetbag
    spent 25.19 in Lidl after using 5 off voucher, 1.60 in the Bakers and 45. in the Butchers (shouldn't need to buy any more meat for a couple of weeks now though).
  • Brassic
    Please can I join for May? Can you please put me down for 300?
    This is for 2 adults, 3 children and a dog. For all food, drink, pet supplies, cleaning products, toiletries and nappies for DS and DD2.

Samm x
    Originally posted by sammr85
    Sam, how on earth do you do this? I am ridiculously pleased that it looks like I will come in at 500 this month?! I just can't see how on earth it is possible! I don't buy readymeals, I don't buy totally value brands either, but 200 quid is a HUGE difference!

Cheers,
    Brassic
    Debts @ lightbulb moment (13/06/2006) - 59,842.23 All commercial debts now clear!!! Debts April - 20,000 to family (incl extra 10k borrowed for house deposit). DFD - Aug 2014
    Proud to be dealing with my debts
    Goal of the month - 500 on groceries for family of 5 - Apr 2011 - 620! May - 454.85 so far.
  • katholicos
    Today I made a brown lentil and veg soup for DD and a lasagne for the rest of us. I've just polished off the chilled pasta salad i made yesterday, for my supper...it was soooo good, and so much nicer than the chilled supermarket salads. Thought i would share how i made it as it worked out really economical....

Cold Pesto Pasta Salad

Boil a pan of pasta spirals/tubes or whatever your preference is.

Drain the liquid off the pasta and plunge the pasta into cold water (you can reserve the pasta liqour for making stews/soups etc).

Drain off the water and place the cooled pasta in a large bowl.

Add (in my case, 2/3rds of a small jar of) pesto.

Add 1 x drained tin of sweetcorn (or frozen or fresh sweetcorn).

Add a tsp of chopped garlic.

Add salt to taste.

Add chopped tomatoes (fresh or tinned). I used about 5 heaped tbs.

Stir well ensuring pasta gets covered with the pesto and then cover and refridgerate.

Great for lunches/snacks.

Hope this helps someone save a little money on lunches or what have you.
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • rosieben
    katholicos, I lilke the sound of your Cold Pesto Pasta Salad!
    I've added it to the index, listed under 'Pasta' in main meals
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • allie23
    • By allie23 25th May 11, 5:15 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 14,594 Thanks
    allie23
    Hi All
    Have come in under budget agin this month by 45. Can I be put down for 150 for June please? Thanks to all, once again for the inspiration and to the board guides for keeping the board running. I don,t have time to post regularly as I work full time and am studying and am trying to set up a business but still love reading as much as I can or the posts. Hopefully I will be going part time or finishing up with work soon though.

Allie
  • scotsaver

That sounds absolutely delish - thanks for posting the recipe link. Can I come to yours for dinner?
    Originally posted by jintyb
    Hi jintyb - yes the Chicken and rice was delicious, clean plates all round so this is definitely one to add to my little book - you couldn't come for Dinner anyway - your in Edinburgh, I'm in London - no flights out of Scotland We're originally from Scotland, visiting in the Summer and Edinburgh is one place the kids have at the top of their list to visit.

Morning everyone - got a few things to buy today, will update total later. Dinner tonight is Cumberland Pie from "Second helpings from the Dinner Lady" cookbook - never made this before but looks tasty. Hope you all have a good day.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• jintyb
    • By jintyb 25th May 11, 5:51 AM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    Scotsaver - glad your dinner was a success, I added that recipe to my list!
    Hope your kids enjoy Edinburgh and that the weather improves by the time you visit.
    Katholicos - thanks for the Pesto Pasta Salad recipe. I'm always on the lookout for new ideas for packed lunches. Will def try that when I go back to work next week. Also thanks for the tip re Sains Teabags. I love my tea and always buy Tetey or PG. I've tried A$da SP bags and they were awful. I'm gonna try the Sains ones though after what you said.
    Still thinking about BM.

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 25th May 11, 8:52 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    morning all, i managed a nsd yesterday which was impressive since we were at the circus, i put the mushrooms i needed into todays tesco delivery, it's coming out of junes budget even tho i'm still not finished may because i was ordering it for the first but i wanted some of the 3 for 2 biccys and wed deliverys are cheapest everything i bought for june will keep and keep us goimg for 2 weeks, with the exception of milk and taties, i'll update my sig when it arrives
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • cat_smith
    Going to have to shop tomorrow. DH returns and there is nothing in the fridge. Will be producing a careful list and sticking to it. Determined to come in under budget this month.
    GC Mar 13 47.36/150
  • 4weeladdies
    Hi all, I've not posted in ages but I've been keeping going with the GC and am absolutely positively sure that I'm going to come under budget this month We're really getting into the whole old style mentality now, in the last week I've actually been loving it! I know we've still got a long long long way to go and many many things still to change but it's the start of a big adventure for us! I'm totally in love with Aldi, can't praise them enough as we're eating really well but not spending nearly as much money on food! I'm doing "rubber chicken" for the first time this week, a small yellow stickered corn fed free range one at 2.50 that had been lurking in the freezer did a roast last night, will appear in a curry tonight, the bones and skin etc are in the slow cooker right now making stock for soup, and I'm hoping I might even squeeze a chicken fried rice out of it too! The boys are really enjoying the cakes and biccies I'm making from the recipe index as puds, and DH is absolutely obsessed with Twinks!

Hope you're all having a great month xxx
    Feeding 2 adults and 5 piglets aged 7 months, 7, 8, 10 & 13. Thank heaven for Aldi!

January 2013 grocery challenge 169.44/360
    • RonniesMummy
    • By RonniesMummy 25th May 11, 9:52 AM
    • 424 Posts
    • 3,946 Thanks
    RonniesMummy
    Morning everyone, Ive not been well the past few days so havent logged on!
    I am going to morrisons today, im sure someone said they had PG tips on offer, mum drinks tea like its going out of fashion!
    Hope everyone is doing well, I think ive got 43 to last until the 18th, HA i cant imagine this will work but i will have to be creative! x
    DFD 1st January 2016
    Total Debt 4600 01/01/2013
    4100 15/11/2013 01/11/15 0
  • Long tall sally
    Declaring at 491.34 for May. Not a great month particularly as I thought I was doing quite well not too many days ago! Can I try yet again for 450 for June please Mrs McC, thankyou?
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 25th May 11, 10:41 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Just a quickie to say, curry last night was yummy. i made it differently to normal. usually with a SC i literally bung it all in without searing the meat or browning the onions, and let nature take its cause. However, this time i decided to cook off the spices in a frying pan first, as i know that is what the prof chefs do. lol. so i did this and then added all the ingredients to the SC. i have to admit, this technique really worked, and you could taste the individual spices so much clearer than usual.
    Hope this helps someone else.xx
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • 69chick
    • By 69chick 25th May 11, 12:05 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    69chick
    Afternoon all, thanks for all the lovely recipes coming through I must get looking through the index soon to try some new things, its so easy to get stuck in a rut I find and do the same old thing over and over....we have got Gammon for tea tonight, the girls are having theirs first with sweetcorn and mash and me and dh will have ours later with potatoes and I am going to do a broccoli cheese to go with it.....have been saving the gammon as ds doesn't like it and he is away with the school (missing him like mad though, so hope he is enjoying himself, he left on Monday morning a bit upset )

One thing I am truly no good at is cooking with chicken thighs or legs..I don't really like meat on the bone but would love to cook the kids some tasty drumsticks as I am sure they would like them. however if I ever take them off the roast chicken they are always slimy and with sort of horrible black bits int them...does it make a difference if you buy them separately? and if so, can anyone recommend a recipe with them for kids?

I am on for another nsd today...just keep updating my Sainsbugs shop for Friday (which helps me with my food shopping addiction) I have noticed that Sain$burys have got a new meal plan for 50 out today so am going to take a look later in case there are any nice recipes....

Catch you all later
    Starting with Avon C6 target sales 150.00
  • Long tall sally
    cutiepieabf - could you give me the recipe for your curry please?
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • cookiemum
    • By cookiemum 25th May 11, 12:54 PM
    • 131 Posts
    • 2,119 Thanks
    cookiemum
    Declaring at 311.54 for May

Still keeping a strict tally on an online spending diary so nothing is sneaking through. Next month I must come in within budget - everyone in my family appears to be born in June so a very expensive month!

Well done everybody

February Grocery Challenge 301.46/300
    To feed - Me, DH, DD, DS and 1 dog

• Sue14
    • By Sue14 25th May 11, 1:49 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    1.99 spent in Mr M's on Saturday and 10.32 in L1dl today, shouldn't NEED much else between now and the end of the month, but we'll see.
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 25th May 11, 2:42 PM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    cutiepieabf - could you give me the recipe for your curry please?
    Originally posted by Long tall sally
    yes sure, i'll post later. its one of Mr.Oliver's.
    DFBX2016 #160 - 3550/8800

DFBX2017 #160 - 0/11,378

0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) 0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) 0/795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 25th May 11, 2:46 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Morning everyone, Ive not been well the past few days so havent logged on!
    I am going to morrisons today, im sure someone said they had PG tips on offer, mum drinks tea like its going out of fashion!
    Hope everyone is doing well, I think ive got 43 to last until the 18th, HA i cant imagine this will work but i will have to be creative! x
    Originally posted by RonniesMummy
    The PG Tips are also on offer at the Co op, same deal s x 160 for 5

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,007Posts Today

7,024Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin