Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 23rd May 11, 1:15 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Great 'pay for one gym, use another' Hunt
    • 23rd May 11, 1:15 PM
    Great 'pay for one gym, use another' Hunt 23rd May 11 at 1:15 PM
    Great 'pay for one gym, use another' hunt

Some gym chains let you sign up to one club, but access any of their gyms around the country. For example, sign up for Wakefield Fitness First for 24, and you get unlimited use of its Shepherds Bush club, normally 40ish. Gyms are loath to advertise this loophole, so we'd love to hear which chains MoneySavers have used it for.

View past Great Hunts.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 24-05-2011 at 4:53 PM.
Page 1
  • bromie21
    • 25th May 11, 1:48 PM
    • 25th May 11, 1:48 PM
    im with Parkwood leisure centre, does anyone know if you can use your membership anywhere? Any any ideas which one is cheapest?? Thanks!
  • Jinxy1979
    • 25th May 11, 2:27 PM
    • 25th May 11, 2:27 PM
    So i recently joined Esporta in Peterborough but had to pay extra in the joining fee for their multi gym option, and was told that whilst i could use the extra gyms i wouldnt get priority on any of the classes at the 'non home' gym
  • jennybridger
    • 25th May 11, 2:38 PM
    • 25th May 11, 2:38 PM
    i'm a member of Everyone Active, i have so far used 3 of their sites local to me. For 39 DD a month, i can use the gym, book classes, swim at any of their sites.

Obviously cheaper when you pay annually - when i first signed up with all the offers it worked out to 26 a month. Now when you think that a class is 5.90 PAYG...... well for me its a no brainer!

I've met lovely people and think its the best decision i have made in a while. Plus if i go to college, there is an Everyone active gym near there, which would save me some petrol money!

Edit: i think this chain runs along side the local councils.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 26-05-2011 at 10:48 AM.
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
    Rejuvenate, Reinvent.......
  • musicteach
    • 25th May 11, 2:40 PM
    • 25th May 11, 2:40 PM
    I've signed up with DW Sports Fitness in Winsford, where they don't have a pool - I therefore pay 22 a month for off-peak membership rather than 27 like everywhere else... But I'm free to go and use any DW gym I like, so frequently use a pool elsewhere.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 26-05-2011 at 10:47 AM.
  • lamp
    • 25th May 11, 2:56 PM
    • 25th May 11, 2:56 PM
    I would love to know more about the Fitness First option! I was looking to join them anyway, and if I can save myself 15/mo, I would be very interested indeed! Would I ever need to go to the Wakefield gym? I had a look at the terms and conditions, and it doesn't say anything about having to visit the home club... Please advise

Thanks!
  • love-a-bargin
    • 25th May 11, 9:57 PM
    Cheap Memberships
    • 25th May 11, 9:57 PM
    Try Gumtree, you often find people trying to transfer the gym memberships.
    If anyone is interested I have a Fitness First One for London - Leyton, have 8 monthly payments left and is a cheaper rate as I took out before rates went up. I will even pay a month off t get rid of this membership.

I have moved and the nearest gym is over a round trip of 60 miles and they won't let me out of membership, even though I have moved back home to care for my mum.
  • toeknee77
    • 25th May 11, 11:46 PM
    Great 'pay for one gym, use another' Hunt
    • 25th May 11, 11:46 PM
    I like 'musicteach' use D W Sports. I'm a member of Macclesfield gym who charge 25pm off peak but I can use any other gym across the country which charge 27pm off peak.
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 26th May 11, 3:23 AM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 26th May 11, 3:23 AM
    • 26th May 11, 3:23 AM
    I'd be very wary of assuming this pay-for-one-gym-..etc thing works with all gyms, I have heard a few people post on these boards before that they had their gym call them talking about their visiting other gyms more often then their home gym and transferring their membership, fees included to that other gym. Think many gyms are wise to this, always a good idea to check the small print if your membership itself depends on using other gyms instead of the home club.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 26-05-2011 at 10:49 AM.
  • grumpy angel
    i'm a member of Everyone Active, i have so far used 3 of their sites local to me. For 39 DD a month, i can use the gym, book classes, swim at any of their sites.

Obviously cheaper when you pay annually - when i first signed up with all the offers it worked out to 26 a month. Now when you think that a class is 5.90 PAYG...... well for me its a no brainer!

I've met lovely people and think its the best decision i have made in a while. Plus if i go to college, there is an Everyone active gym near there,which would save me some petrol money!

Edit: i think this chain runs along side the local councils.
    Originally posted by jennybridger
    I too am amember of everyone active. these are run by SLM Leisure along with local councils and give you a wide choice of leisure centres to use nationwide. I pay 25 a month as I am over 50, there are discouts available for over 60's, disabled, NHS employees and other companies, employees of ASDA get a discount at my local gym.
    Its always best to ask.
  • jennybridger
    There are discouts available for over 60's, disabled, NHS employees and other companies, employees of ASDA get a discount at my local gym.
    Its always best to ask.
    Originally posted by grumpy angel
    Good point i live near Stansted Airport & i know there are quite a few airlines who have business memberships.

In my area i can't find another gym that compares when it comes to cost, in fact the only one that did had naff facilities & about 2 classes a day (compared to about 7/8 a day at my gym)

My gym has only been open a year after a massive rebuild (around the existing pool) & are now having to start building again for a 2nd studio because of the surge in membership. Almost all classes are fully booked & you generally need to book a week in advance! Of course if a class was fully booked & i desperately wanted to do a class i could always check the timetable of another local gym
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
  • ailuro2
    Of course it might be cheaper altogether to join your local council gym, for DH, DD ( 12yo) and myself to go any time of the day/night/weekend it is 58 a month, that includes swimming lessons and gymnastics classes, and they have gyms scattered throughout our city aswell as 4 swimming pools.

If I would just get round to using it more often it would be great value for money.
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus 27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with 1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • jennybridger
    Of course it might be cheaper altogether to join your local council gym...
    Originally posted by ailuro2

As Grumpy Angel said, SLM who run Everyone Active are running gyms now on behalf of local councils.
    Reduce, Reuse, Recycle!
    • shazchip
    • By shazchip 29th May 11, 12:17 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    shazchip
    I'm a member of Village Hotels (home club is cheadle in manchester) and i use both the one near my work and the one near my home equally every week - never had any problems getting on classes or anything at my non-home club. Also means i get to go to 4 zumba classes a week instead of 1 or 2, so fabulous value for money :-D I've also used clubs in birmingham / london etc on my travels....

There are a few Village Leisure clubs which are 'better' and you have to pay 10 or something to use them even if a member of another Village ... but i just don't go to them!
    • darkhairedgal
    • By darkhairedgal 30th May 11, 8:47 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    darkhairedgal
    I'm a member of Village Hotels (home club is cheadle in manchester) and i use both the one near my work and the one near my home equally every week - never had any problems getting on classes or anything at my non-home club. Also means i get to go to 4 zumba classes a week instead of 1 or 2, so fabulous value for money :-D I've also used clubs in birmingham / london etc on my travels....

There are a few Village Leisure clubs which are 'better' and you have to pay 10 or something to use them even if a member of another Village ... but i just don't go to them!
    Originally posted by shazchip

I am thinking of joining a gym in that area, could you possibly tell me how much it is a month at cheadle and if you get any classes please? Whnever you phone up a gym they never give the price and want you to come and book a visit where there sales pitch starts!
    I'm sure this site makes me spend more than I save
  • alfacat
    Virgin Active and Esporta
    Virgin Active are in the process of buying Esporta clubs. Once this has happened all Virgin members will be entitled to use Esporta clubs. Although this isn't of great regular benefit to me (live in Nottingham, closest Esporta is Sheffield), they are infinitely plusher. I'd join Virgin for less to use the Esporta clubs!

Also, I had a friend who was already a member at VA when I joined, so she re-did her paperwork so we could become joint members, for which we now both get 5 per month off our fees, so we have three and a half years of savings under our belts so far, also we signed to a lifelong price, so our memberships will never increase! hoorah!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,371Posts Today

6,410Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin