Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 23rd May 11, 11:49 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Time for action over misleading PPI reclaiming texts and calls
    • 23rd May 11, 11:49 AM
    MSE News: Time for action over misleading PPI reclaiming texts and calls 23rd May 11 at 11:49 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"MoneySavingExpert.com today urges the Government to take tough action to stop firms cold-calling with false PPI promises ..."

Page 1
  • PeterFP
    • 23rd May 11, 12:06 PM
    Phone calls from accident claim firms.
    • 23rd May 11, 12:06 PM
    I had a minor accident a couple of years agao and claim firms seem to know this - the conversation usually begins with - "You had an accident in November 2009 and we can help you claim damages from the third party". When I tell them the third party was a deer they usually hang up...
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 23rd May 11, 12:13 PM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,014 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 23rd May 11, 12:13 PM
    • 23rd May 11, 12:13 PM
    yay - good article and about time too.

I have been called a few times by cold calling claims company telling me I was mis-sold insurance. Even when I told one that I was an IFA I was told I could still claim. Crazy that they let unqualified people who dont know about these things tell people lies to get them to sign up with expensive contracts for sending a template letter you can get on the web for free.

The generation of false complaints can also be highly damaging to those with genuine complaints and it clogs up the system delaying outcomes for genuine people. If you use a claims company that is blacklisted by a financial services firm for putting in dodgy complaints, you are more likely to see the financial firm fight harder to reject your complaint. Put yourself in the shoes of the person at the firm handling your complaint. They see the same template letter a dozen times listing reasons that are easily not applicable. Are they going to feel sympathetic to that person complaining? Whereas a personalised complaint listing all the genuine reasons is going to get a much more sympathetic response.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • magpiecottage
    • By magpiecottage 23rd May 11, 4:19 PM
    • 9,114 Posts
    • 5,584 Thanks
    magpiecottage
    • 23rd May 11, 4:19 PM
    • 23rd May 11, 4:19 PM
    I had a minor accident a couple of years agao and claim firms seem to know this - the conversation usually begins with - "You had an accident in November 2009 and we can help you claim damages from the third party". When I tell them the third party was a deer they usually hang up...
    Originally posted by PeterFP

Amateurs - if they were professionals then they would pursue Mr Bambi on your behalf!

Seriously, I get calls telling me they can claim for all sorts of garbage - even when I tell them I actually investigate this sort of complaint for a living.
    Last edited by magpiecottage; 23-05-2011 at 4:22 PM.
  • pompeyfaith
    • 23rd May 11, 7:10 PM
    • 23rd May 11, 7:10 PM
    You state:

"Also, the financially illiterate, or those with mental health problems. For everyone else, DIY wins."
    So would just like to say even some of those can do it themselves with the help of these great forums, I had a stroke that left me with physical and mental capacity issues but still managed to get 8.5k back in missold PPI from the Co-operative Bank PLC.

So give it a go as there are these forums to help you and indeed your family.

Good luck
    • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • By Paulgonnabedebtfree 24th May 11, 7:38 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 28,940 Thanks
    Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • 24th May 11, 7:38 AM
    • 24th May 11, 7:38 AM
    Indeed many of these companies just try random pot luck when texting. I had another text a couple of days ago about being able to claim for an injury that I sustained. It's news to me. It was tempting to string them along but I've better things to do with my time (like posting to internet forums) .
  • hula_girl
    • 24th May 11, 10:16 PM
    Email address for reporting unsolicited SMS
    • 24th May 11, 10:16 PM
    I received an unsolicited text message about PPI claiming and reported it to the Claims Regulator, as per the article. I just wanted to say that if you send an email to the address given (info@claimsregulation.gov.uk) you get a very long winded Auto Reply that says your email has not been read and you need to contact a different email address. The correct email address is: consumer@claimsregulation.gov.uk.

Hope this helps someone
    • di3004
    • By di3004 24th May 11, 10:46 PM
    • 42,528 Posts
    • 56,679 Thanks
    di3004
    • 24th May 11, 10:46 PM
    • 24th May 11, 10:46 PM
    Will TPS be of any help if you try registering your home tel number?
    this is free of charge, and I understand they do it for mobiles too.

Even though its not guaranteed to stop all these calls, but they will or should at least reduce.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
    The one and only "Dizzy Di"
    • Alpine Star
    • By Alpine Star 25th May 11, 4:17 AM
    • 1,259 Posts
    • 611 Thanks
    Alpine Star
    • 25th May 11, 4:17 AM
    • 25th May 11, 4:17 AM
    Will TPS be of any help if you try registering your home tel number?
    /
    Originally posted by di3004
    Yes I used to get loads of cold calls from CMCs - usually in the form of recorded announcements - and they stopped almost immediately after I registered with TPS.
    • William Barnes
    • By William Barnes 26th May 11, 6:36 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    William Barnes
    Cold calls claimimg to reclaim PPI I've paid
    I had a phone call yesterday they didn't leave their name but the phone number was 0844 5443835

Took ages to convince the woman I've never paid PPI

"But banks add it to your loan without your knowledge" to which my reply was I've never taken out a load.

"But they'll make you pay for it a on credit card" to which I replied but I checked my statement carefully every month and they've never added anything and I've never asked for PPI.

"Do you have a mortgage, they add it to your payemts without your knowledge" grr, your wrong again, I'm on a fliexible mortgage and my current repayments are 0.0

She then apologised and hung up. Something makes me think they callers are on a fat commision rate to hook people in. The Telephone Preference Service is still of no use to me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,778Posts Today

7,022Users online

Martin's Twitter