Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • Techno
    • By Techno 31st May 11, 10:18 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 691 Thanks
    Techno
    • 31st May 11, 10:18 PM
    • 31st May 11, 10:18 PM
    Contact your MP to arrange a tour of the Clock Tower (Big Ben) and Westminster Palace (Houses of Parliament) for free plus write to the Tower of London to get on the Ceremony of the Keys tours when they are putting the Tower to bed for the night.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 07-06-2011 at 4:12 PM.
    If you think you are too small to make a difference, try getting in bed with a mosquito!
    • Absinthe Fairy
    • By Absinthe Fairy 31st May 11, 10:26 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 3,580 Thanks
    Absinthe Fairy
    • 31st May 11, 10:26 PM
    • 31st May 11, 10:26 PM
    If you're going to the pub in London, try and find one owned by the Samuel Smith's brewery. There's loads, in great locations including the Chandos opposite the National Portrait Gallery and the Fitzroy Tavern near Tottenham Court Road: check out the map at http://www.jamesgretton.co.uk/samuelsmiths/. They are very cheap compared to other pubs/bars in the capital. You can get two pints for under a fiver, and the food's cheap too, e.g. chips 1.50 and pizzas 5-6.
    Sealed Pot Challenge Number 1225
    365 in 365 Days 2013
    No Buying Toiletries 2013
    • hcb42
    • By hcb42 31st May 11, 10:33 PM
    • 5,818 Posts
    • 3,532 Thanks
    hcb42
    • 31st May 11, 10:33 PM
    • 31st May 11, 10:33 PM
    I am stopping in London for two nights at end of next week - need ideas for the Friday. We're coming in from Beckton. I am not overly worried on cost as long as sensible but any bright ideas on nice attractions would be good..(in 40s, no kids)
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 31st May 11, 10:45 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,132 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 31st May 11, 10:45 PM
    • 31st May 11, 10:45 PM
    Walk back through time:
    start at London Bridge tube station, cross the road and explore Southwark Cathedral - no charge, but donations appreciated (associated with Chaucer & Shakespeare was a parishoner)
    then on look at the replica 'Golden Hinde' at Pickford's Wharf (free to walk past)
    next along is the excavation of a former medieval hall,
    then the Clink prison (now a museum)
    then follow the river path to the Globe Theatre (entry to the shop is free!)
    The now-stable bendy Millennium Bridge takes you across the river towards St Pauls.

I've enjoyed this area without spending anything beyond a bottle of water, I've also lunched in the Cathedral and paid to tour the Globe - both equally satisfying!

Map here: http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GWYH&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=golden+hind+southwark&fb=1&gl=uk&hq=golden+hin d+southwark&hnear=golden+hind+southwark&cid=0,0,10 275247394022159934&ei=91_lTaGPG8yu8QOty6nyBg&sa=X& oi=local_result&ct=image&resnum=2&ved=0CDUQnwIwAQ
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 03-06-2011 at 1:04 PM.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • mynameisdave
    • 31st May 11, 11:22 PM
    • 31st May 11, 11:22 PM
    RAF Museum at Hendon. Not sure how many stops but 9mins away from Euston by tube to the nearest station and free entry.
    • RichyRich
    • By RichyRich 1st Jun 11, 8:36 AM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    RichyRich
    • 1st Jun 11, 8:36 AM
    • 1st Jun 11, 8:36 AM
    Climb the monument to the great fire - it costs about 1.50 and you get fantastic views of the capital. Plus no-one else I've met has ever done it so that in itself is a talking point.

Warning: no lift and it's a long way up!

Nearest tube: Monument
    #145 Save 12k in 2016 Challenge: 12,062.62/12,000.00 Beginning Balance: 5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save 12k in 2017 Challenge: 11,03.70/12,000.00 Beginning Balance: 12,976.79 Shortfall: 996.30
    This is the secret message.
    • RichyRich
    • By RichyRich 1st Jun 11, 8:43 AM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    RichyRich
    • 1st Jun 11, 8:43 AM
    • 1st Jun 11, 8:43 AM
    Any museum with "National" in its name is free as are the following:

Science Museum
    Natural History Museum
    Muaeum of London
    British Museum
    British Library
    Museum of London Docklands
    Whitechapel Gallery
    Tate
    Tate Modern

The Sam Smiths idea is a great one; my favourite us the Cheshire Cheese in Fleet Street. Other good value pubs include the ones owned by Stonegate - www.greatvaluepubs.co.uk. but beware if you're out in the City that many are closed on weekends!
    #145 Save 12k in 2016 Challenge: 12,062.62/12,000.00 Beginning Balance: 5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save 12k in 2017 Challenge: 11,03.70/12,000.00 Beginning Balance: 12,976.79 Shortfall: 996.30
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 1st Jun 11, 8:44 AM
    • 6,484 Posts
    • 7,017 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    • 1st Jun 11, 8:44 AM
    • 1st Jun 11, 8:44 AM
    The museums!

Off the top of my head....

South Kensington for the Natural History Museum, the Science Museum and the V & A

Trafalgar Square for the National Gallery and the Portrait Gallery,

Plus you have the British Museum, Tate Modern, Tate Britain, the British Library etc

All free (excluding any special exhibitions) although donations are appreciated.....
    • RichyRich
    • By RichyRich 1st Jun 11, 8:44 AM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    RichyRich
    Any museum with "National" in its name is free as are the following:

Science Museum
    Natural History Museum
    Muaeum of London
    British Museum
    British Library
    Museum of London Docklands
    Whitechapel Gallery
    Tate
    Tate Modern

The Sam Smiths idea is a great one; my favourite us the Cheshire Cheese in Fleet Street. Other good value pubs include the ones owned by Stonegate - www.greatvaluepubs.co.uk. but beware if you're out in the City that many are closed on weekends!
    • RichyRich
    • By RichyRich 1st Jun 11, 8:55 AM
    • 1,829 Posts
    • 2,239 Thanks
    RichyRich
    See London by river! Take a riverboat tour and it will set you back several limbs. But take the commuter ferry (marketed as Thames Clippers) and it will take you from North Greenwich (for the O2) via Canary Wharf into Central London (Embankment/Waterloo) for about a fiver.
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 1st Jun 11, 8:59 AM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    I say this to everyone - when you arrive- buy a copy of Time Out magazine from any newsagent and it will list many free and bargain events in the capital. http://www.timeout.com/london. there is also a free app for Iphone if you have one.

Use maps on your phone instead of buying an A-z.

Another good app is vouchercloud that often throws up a free coffee or discounts when you are nearby a bargain!

Markets:
    Borough food market ( artisan and local/ sustainable food, plenty of free samples!)
    Brick lane market ( trendy, craft, artisan food, vintage)
    Roman rd market ( bargain clothes & shoes etc)
    Petticoat Lane market ( Sunday am, loads of bargain clothes, souvenirs etc in a historic place!)
    Spitalfields ( modernized, but very crafty market, lots of gifts, nice to see)

See film first often has freebies to see films, plays etc.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 03-06-2011 at 1:15 PM.
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
  • Daisy doo
    Last time we went to london, we did the bbc tour. Cost 10 lasts about 2'30 hours. Must be booked day before. It was really good. Informative, interesting, fun. Also might see someone famous!

You can also get free audience tickets from bbc, audience store, sro etc.

I also love Portobello Market - free, good stores - antiques, clothes, food etc, amazing houses in Notting Hill. A really experience (but gets very busy/crowded)Can walk from one end to the other (tube at either end)
    • HelenPetersBeads
    • By HelenPetersBeads 1st Jun 11, 9:11 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    HelenPetersBeads
    I can't put links in, but here's a good website type in the www. bit then.... golondon.about.com/od/londonwithchildren/ss/uclday.htm
    It gives you a free day out with your kids. We went to the Grant Museum yesterday (it's moved so be sure to look up the right address so you can find it), even the stroppy 15yo liked looking round the skeletons and preserved specimens.
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 1st Jun 11, 9:19 AM
    • 33,854 Posts
    • 39,987 Thanks
    Browntoa
    locations of famous films shot in London

http://www.londonforfree.net/outdoors/filmsets/filmsets.shtml

and album covers

http://www.londonforfree.net/outdoors/filmsets/albumcovers.shtml

all for the price of a travelcard
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • mooseandhobbes
    During the summer there are hundreds of free things on all along the river.

At Festival Hall they have music and dances and all manner of randomness http://ticketing.southbankcentre.co.uk/find/free.

At the National Theatre they have Watch This Space http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/wts (the 2011 programme hasn't been announced yet, but it will be soon).

At The Scoop, near Tower Bridge, they have free theatre and sometimes music and films too http://www.morelondon.com/events.asp .

In addition to the entertainment, the river on a lovely sunny day is the best place in London to be for people watching and general excellence.
    • kaz0705
    • By kaz0705 1st Jun 11, 10:42 AM
    • 239 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    kaz0705
    Contact your MP to arrange a tour of the Clock Tower (Big Ben) and Westminster Place (Houses of Parliament) for free plus write to the Tower of London to get on the Ceremony of the Keys tours when they are putting the Tower to bed for the night.
    Originally posted by Techno

I used to work for Parliament and have been on a million tours- they're BRILLIANT (although, to some extent, depends on the guide!). I always feel quite passionate about this: it's your democratic right to visit parliament! No MP can refuse you a tour (but you need to be flexible on dates!). Use theyworkforyou.com to find out your local MP. Additionally, you can also visit any Select Committee meetings and APPGs. I went to a Treasury Meeting after Northern Rock crashed and it was filled with frayed tempers and insights to the background; very interesting.

Big Ben gets booked up months and months in advance but is worth doing- you get to be right by the bell when it goes off! (with ear plugs!)

Whilst I am anxious about sharing this place with people, one of the cheapest lunches you can get in Notting Hill is just off Portobello Road, Books for Cooks. It's a recipe book store (not just a clever name) but has a test kitchen at the back. Each day (except Sundays) they do one meat recipe and one vegetarian recipe from two different books as well as about 5 or 6 different cake recipes. All AMAZING and two courses is 7! Cheapest lunch in West London, I'd guess.

But please avoid going there!
    LBM: January 2010
    DFD: August 27th 2012
  • msph321
    This is GREAT stuff. Thanks for sharing. By all means, please keep the information coming.
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 1st Jun 11, 10:59 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    There is currently a free fake beach on the South Bank complete with beach huts and sand which will be there until September. Also a fairground nearby with helter skelter and carousel, although that may be attached to E4's Udderbelly event which is on until 17 July and has comedy at very reasonable prices.

I'd also vote for the museums, and if people are prepared to go slightly outside central London would suggest the Horniman Museum in Forest Hill, the Museum of London Docklands at West India Quay (who currently have a really good exhibition about pirates although you have to pay to get into that bit), and the National Maritime Museum and Royal Observatory in Greenwich.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
    • superlative
    • By superlative 1st Jun 11, 11:05 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    superlative
    free festivals
    There are lots of great free festivals in London, often music and dance, sometimes more obscure themes, and usually in London's wonderful parks. A great sunny-day day-out, take a picnic!

I can't post links, so google 'free london summer festivals' or 'free london music festivals' The viewlondon site has good lists of free festivals

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,976Posts Today

7,255Users online

Martin's Twitter