Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Apr 11, 11:45 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Apr 11, 11:45 AM
    May 2011 Grocery Challenge 27th Apr 11 at 11:45 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the fifth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #7 and #8 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-04-2011 at 3:42 PM.
Page 31
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 17th May 11, 8:16 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    'nuther NSD today
    hopefully one tomorrow too

DD1 made a hm tomato sauce for pasta for tea - yummy
    DD2 is practising making bourbon biscuits for school -if they work i'll post the recipe

hippeechiq / spiggle hope you are both ok x
  • espresso21
    Did tortillas tonight - 2 chicken breasts that were left over when I jointed a chicken for a curry the other night and lots of veg (peppers, red onion, tomatoes) that were nearing their end; served with wraps and salad - an easy and cheap meal and one that my husband really liked. It's strange - I haven't been doing these 'budget' meals before in case hubby didn't like them but the last three meals have all been budget and he has loved them (more than the stuff I normally do)!
  • katholicos
    NSD number 10 today so no spends on groceries. I made nut roast using a packet mix...2 trays of choc chip flapjack...and a chicken curry using whoopsied chicken I found in the freezer. I also baked 2 loaves of bread to give away.
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • JIL
    • By JIL 17th May 11, 9:15 PM
    • 4,945 Posts
    • 25,059 Thanks
    JIL
    Sunnyday, thanks for that recipe. That might be one for the future. Tonight I think I am going to do chicken wraps as hubby loves them and I have all the ingredients. However, this does leave me with the rice so I might use that in some way for lunch. I like your recipe though and am going to add that to my things to try!

Winged One, well done on the lasagna - sounds like it was a huge hit! Would you like to share the recipe? I could do with a good lasagna recipe. Do you freeze before or after cooking?
    Originally posted by espresso21
    Just reminded me of the first meal i cooked my husband many years ago and do sometimes still make.
    Chicken and bacon lasagne.
    its so easy and really tasty. You just gently fry some chopped bacon/pancetta with some chopped onions and mushrooms, add cooked chicken and a tin of chopped tomatoes. Layer between lasagne sheets, top with a white sauce or cheese sauce add a bit of grated cheese (stilton is really tasty and you dont need much) Bake in oven for 40 mins to an hour, (cover with foil if it browns too much) until the lasagne sheets are cooked.
    I let this cool and put portions into takeaway tubs and freeze it.

you can add garlic, herbs etc to your own taste. It is good for using up left over chicken, bacon, bits of cheese etc.
  • Hippeechiq
    I was much happier when I was with Vodafone. I don't really think I can buy it out - I still have 8 months to run and my monthly cost is 30 so I am assuming the buy-out would be 240 - not going to happen!!!
    Originally posted by espresso21
    V0daphone is a dirty word in this house - the trouble we've had with them, but that's another story.

Someone else might be clearer on this than I (OH sorted out DD & SS's contracts, and he's not here to ask at the moment) but it's something along the lines of:
    You phone up o2, tell them you can no longer afford to have a contract phone and they then pass the whole amount (as in the remainder owing if you bought out your contract) to a debt collector, and then you agree between yourselves and the debt collector the amount you can comfortably afford to pay back per month.

Obviously it's in their interest to get you to pay back as much as possible a month, so you need to be firm about the amount you can afford to pay, pointing out that you can't pay what you haven't got. They do add a handling fee, but it's a way out of the muddle, and it stops the bill being compounded month on month if you can't afford to pay it off fully each month, which is what happened to DD & SS as they buried their heads in the sand and between them, owed over 1000

Sistercas I'm feeling a lot better today thanks hun The double dose anti acid meds have eased DDs stomach cramps and she has had a better day physically and mentally, and that always lifts my spirits.

Don't have much of my budget left considering I still have 14 days left of this months challenge, but it's been a bl00dy awful month so far in every other way, so I'm not going to give myself a hard time over it. A girl can only take so much c r a p in one month.
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
  • rosieben
    Pixie and JIL I've added both your lasagne recipes to the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 17th May 11, 10:46 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Another spend of 8.43!!! Only went in for bread and milk, but got Mum staying for a couple of days so got some scones & biccies feel a bit bad for not making them myself as I know it would work out cheaper, but I honestly don't know where my time goes.

Went to Asda just in time for the whoopsies. I was telling my Mum about them, and said we'll just wait here until those people have finished looking at them. ( I hate being crowded!!) So when the chiller cabinet was free me & Mum had a right good rake. Then this horrible woman came up and almost pushed me out the way, and did that reaching in front of me thing I was only there for 2 mins tops, honestly, some people have no manners. If she'd said excuse me, I may even have moved for her!!!

Anyway, I got some courgettes and those mixed roasting veg tray things for 5p each. So my question is, do I need to cook these before freezing?? I know some of you lovely ladies (and gents!) will be able to help me on this one. Or maybe I'll make some courgette & rosemary soup, it's a bit chilly up here just now!!

Nite x
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
    • boysma
    • By boysma 18th May 11, 8:04 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 12,862 Thanks
    boysma
    Just totalled my spends from weekend and this week so far -$63.65 Updated my total but this leaves me just over 12 quid till next next Wednesday - still doable if I am really careful I suppose.

I have started buying Mr T saving stamps for Xmas shop but not counting these as they will be spent in Dec (obviously).

Some lovely lasagne recipes on here which I am going to try esp the chicken and bacon one - sounds lovely.

Hugs to everyone who needs them

Good luck grocery challengers
    Payment A Day 15 (started 17/5/14)
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 18th May 11, 8:25 AM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    So my question is, do I need to cook these before freezing?? I know some of you lovely ladies (and gents!) will be able to help me on this one. Or maybe I'll make some courgette & rosemary soup, it's a bit chilly up here just now!!

Nite x
    Originally posted by CherryPie
    i've had the m&s ones before (the meal deal i'm not made of money ) and i just froze as they were then i defrosted them to cook, courettes i just slice and freeze

another NSD for me i'm racking up quite a few now i do need desil this afternoon tho tea is stew with the last of the roast beef, last nights casarole was really tender and yummy i sorta wished i'd cooked up all the beef so we could have more but this way we get a whole extra meal out of it
    OCT GC 196.12/200
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 18th May 11, 9:46 AM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    Hello everyone!

I am still on the challenge. I have been busy in the garden and my meal planning has gine a bit awry. I will be slightly over this minth but not my much. We enjoyed lot's of salad leaves from the garden this week.

I am going to do my meal planner for the next month and get back on track.
    GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
    June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 18th May 11, 9:56 AM
    • 16,922 Posts
    • 144,912 Thanks
    JackieO
    Only spent just over 52 quid so far this month but have been seriously staying away from shops and 'making do and cooking ' what I have in my store cupboards and freezer. I am so pleased with my progress so far and its over halfway through the month already.Mind you I have had some odd concoctions at times but have managed to streetch things out by making either soup for starters or a pudding for afterwards it does extend a meal so you really feel full and I have stopped snacking between meals as well.No more shopping to buy until next week with luck, and then only essentials that I have run out of.When ever I feel the urge to go to the shops I think of a job that i need to catch up with and by the time its done I decide that I really can do without wandering around spending cash on stuff I don't need when I only have just over 12 weeks until our holiday so I am stashing my cash for that instead.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 18th May 11, 10:16 AM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Did I say I only needed to get to get eggs, mince and possibly milk? Well famous last words, I went to A1di instead of I*eland (where I would have just got those items), and ended up spending 22.63, but it was all stuff I need and I did get the original 3 items.
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• Sparklyfairy
    • By Sparklyfairy 18th May 11, 12:29 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Sparklyfairy
    Hi all

Just came back from Morrisons & used my 5 of 40 voucher & I spent 38 for the week...I love me some vouchers lol!

Off to update my signature now...
  • clearandfree
    Hi all
    Had a spend of 27.37 today in icelands and 99p store. Half of it was cleaning and toiletries. I get packed lunch bits for the kids in 99p store. So total spend so far is 166.65.
    The credit card is finally cleared
    Just got loan to pay off now
    balance 2221.
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone, a NSD today, dinner tonight is a Beef Casserole with Dumplings and loads of veg, which is in the Slow Cooker and boiled new spuds.

Will need to go shopping tomorrow as I need some mushrooms, carrots etc as tomorrow night Dinner is going to be our meat free night, thinking of doing a Veg Lasagne.

Hope you are all doing well.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• katholicos
    Hope everyone is doing okay today. Ate at Mum's this evening, didn't go grocery shopping. It was almost an NSD, but ended up purchasing something for the garden
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 18th May 11, 8:45 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    oh dear i had a few spends, oh isn't feeling well so i went to get him hayfever stuff spent 6.55 but that included all reduced breaded chicken fillets a packet of sausage 2 sausage rolls, and a bag of taties, aswell as a loaf and some banana's so pretty good, but i also found out today i owe the nursery 4 so i'm def gonna go over my budget by a few , but if i acually took out the extras that are gonna be used next month ect i would be well under so i'm still happy

will update my sig now
    OCT GC 196.12/200
    • pipersky
    • By pipersky 18th May 11, 9:10 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    pipersky
    Hello everyone - nice to hear that all is going well you're getting on a bit better Hippeechiq Anyone heard from Spiggle? I like her posts, she's always so upbeat regardless of her own situation. I hope she's OK - virtual hugs (())

NSD today so nothing really to report. Might have to spend some money tomorrow but don't actually need anything so will just see how I feel x
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady

A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 18th May 11, 9:14 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Havent been on here as much this month and I can tell as so far May seems to be an expensive month for us. Have already spent 150.78 and still have 13 days left. If I am to come in on target this month I will really have to be careful for the remaining days.
    Have been buying lots more fruit and veg as have joined SW but also seem to have spent more on other things as well.

Went to Morri$on$ today as we were passing one and did get most of what is on the list for tomorrow when take mum to Te$co. Have lots in freezer so why oh why do I still buy meat. I told DH not to let me put any meat in the trolley today and yet I still came out with pork mince, steak, bacon and a gammon joint that was reduced - WHY?
    In the freezer there is -
    Shin beef, sliced beef, meat and potato pie, chicken pie, chicken thighs, stuffed roll of lamb,pork steaks, frying steak, haggis, sliced ham, meat loaf, turkey steaks, gammon, sausages, chicken breasts, chicken quarters, a lamb shank, large pork joint and spare ribs. I dont even know whats in the other except its full plus a couple of bits in mums

I am setting myself a limit of 10 tomorrow and there will be serious repercussions if I go over it. maybe if I assault the security man he will ban me.

hope everyone is doing better than I appear to be and hugs for those who need them.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 18th May 11, 9:46 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Back to Mr T again today, twice!! Needed sausages for the steak pie I was making for tonights dinner. That is all I bought first time round. Second time I went @ 8pm in the hope I'd get some more whoopsies, I wasn't disappointed. Got 2 bags of stir fry for 20p each & 2 bags of sliced mushrooms for 20p each. So between last night and tonight, I've done quite well. So to ensure I made the best of everything I now have a big pot of courgette and rosemary soup, 4 portions of stir fry, 2 portions of roasted veg & 2 portions of mushrooms in the freezer. All in all, a good couple of days. And Mum helped so it was much easier!

My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter