Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Former MSE Helen
    • By Former MSE Helen 17th May 11, 2:36 PM
    • 2,324Posts
    • 971Thanks
    Former MSE Helen
    MSE News: Sony offers free games to PlayStation Network users
    • 17th May 11, 2:36 PM
    MSE News: Sony offers free games to PlayStation Network users 17th May 11 at 2:36 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Users are being offered a 'Welcome Back' programme after users were locked out following a hack ..."

Last edited by Former MSE Helen; 17-05-2011 at 2:38 PM.
Page 1
  • Scotty1.7
    • 17th May 11, 6:34 PM
    • 17th May 11, 6:34 PM
    Great Idea if you can get it- My PSN account is still locked and i have had no response from sony or psn for it to be unlocked yet!!! I've 'only' been waiting 24 hours

200 paper weight is what i currently have and those games are rubbish at the best of times!

Not very impressed.
  • 23n1th
    • 17th May 11, 6:43 PM
    • 17th May 11, 6:43 PM
    Good bribe after loosing peoples details, bribes make people forget about their security! Thats what sony get when they sue a guy who just wanted to run his own software on the hardware he paid for and thought he owned!
  • Scotty1.7
    • 17th May 11, 7:16 PM
    • 17th May 11, 7:16 PM
    has anyone got a landline number for sony customer service they only have 0844 number
  • Begize
    • 18th May 11, 8:10 AM
    • 18th May 11, 8:10 AM
    Both my accounts are working OK now (I have a UK and US one) although no access to the store yet. Downloaded the new firmware Sunday and was able to log back in Monday evening, didn't have any problems at all.

A bit disappointed with the choice of games they are offering, particularly the PSP ones as I have two already and don't really want the other two. I also guess it's download only so I'll probably need to get a bigger memory card if I want to take advantage. The PS3 stuff is better, but I think I would have prefered some PSN credit so I could get what wanted.

I think the 30 days free membership to Plus is crafty too - a little taster to get people interested. I wonder how much "free" stuff will be available for the 30 days? I bet they'll be quite a few people taking advantage of the discounted prices on stuff so more money for Sony, plus I bet they get some new subscriptions to the full service off the back of it.

Interested to see the details of this identity theft insurance too....
    • Equaliser123
    • By Equaliser123 18th May 11, 12:58 PM
    • 3,319 Posts
    • 2,485 Thanks
    Equaliser123
    • 18th May 11, 12:58 PM
    • 18th May 11, 12:58 PM
    has anyone got a landline number for sony customer service they only have 0844 number
    Originally posted by Scotty1.7
    Have you changed your password?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 18th May 11, 6:26 PM
    • 34,599 Posts
    • 29,317 Thanks
    custardy
    • 18th May 11, 6:26 PM
    • 18th May 11, 6:26 PM
    http://m.kotaku.com/5803050/

According to reports on Nyleveia.com, Eurogamer, and NeoGAF, Sony's PlayStation Network password reset system-the one just put in place after the PSN hack-has been compromised, allowing hackers to change a PSN password if they know your email and date of birth. Exactly the sort of information that was released in the original hack.

Sony has taken the password reset system offline. Kotaku has reached out to Sony for comment.
  • swvillafan
    • 18th May 11, 6:54 PM
    • 18th May 11, 6:54 PM
    Aye, a bit of an oversight on Sony's part. According to Joystiq, the web page in question has been altered so that this particular exploit is not, well exploitable!

The games they have offered are a nice gesture, I'll probably go for Dead Nation and inFamous.

Of course they're not going to please everyone with this whole situation (especially the poor COD players that can breathe without it!!!) but at least they are trying to make things right!
    Useful is beautiful
  • 23n1th
    • 18th May 11, 7:09 PM
    • 18th May 11, 7:09 PM
    Sony aren't trying to make it right they're trying to make more money, thats all they care about. In the passed they used to install malware on your computer via their cds now they sue customers for trying to use the hardware they bought as they wish and telling others how to do it. Apparently you paid what 240 to rent your PS3 from sony. Try do anything other than what sony allow and you might end up in court.
  • swvillafan
    Sony aren't trying to make it right they're trying to make more money, thats all they care about. In the passed they used to install malware on your computer via their cds now they sue customers for trying to use the hardware they bought as they wish and telling others how to do it. Apparently you paid what 240 to rent your PS3 from sony. Try do anything other than what sony allow and you might end up in court.
    Originally posted by 23n1th
    Perhaps I'm just naive but I cant really see how they are trying to make more money out of the situation. The PSN service is free (apart from those who subscribe to PS+) and they are offering some free games, how will they make more money from that?

Regarding the suing, I was only aware that they tried to sue George Hotz for trying to do as he wished (well at least he is the one that most people will know about!).

As far as I can tell most of the work he was doing was to enable the use of 'homebrew' software, I guess in a similar fashion to how those chips work with the nintendo ds. Of course doesn't that also open up the system for running bits of software on the particular system e.g. non purchased bits of software, perhaps Sony didn't really want that exploit to become commonplace on its consoles.

By the sounds of it you I don't reckon you own a PS3. If I'm wrong and you had access to it would you have tried any of Geohots hacks on yours and if so why? Not being confrontational, just wondering why someone might want to do that.

Agree about the cd rootkit affair, that was a royal pain in the !!!! for sony and also the poor end users.
    Useful is beautiful
  • 23n1th
    Perhaps I'm just naive but I cant really see how they are trying to make more money out of the situation. The PSN service is free (apart from those who subscribe to PS+) and they are offering some free games, how will they make more money from that?
    Originally posted by swvillafan
    As has been mentioned above, its a marketing scheme to get more users.

Regarding the suing, I was only aware that they tried to sue George Hotz for trying to do as he wished (well at least he is the one that most people will know about!).

As far as I can tell most of the work he was doing was to enable the use of 'homebrew' software, I guess in a similar fashion to how those chips work with the nintendo ds. Of course doesn't that also open up the system for running bits of software on the particular system e.g. non purchased bits of software, perhaps Sony didn't really want that exploit to become commonplace on its consoles.
    So no one owns their PS3 they rent it and sony can do what they want with their hardware including telling you what you can and can't do with it. So because a few might be able to run pirated software they stop you doing anything with it other than what they deem you can.

By the sounds of it you I don't reckon you own a PS3. If I'm wrong and you had access to it would you have tried any of Geohots hacks on yours and if so why? Not being confrontational, just wondering why someone might want to do that.
    I don't own one no,I've used other peoples but like my PC better for games. If I did own one (and I mean own it) I would want to do what I want with it, I paid for it so if I want to run home brew I should be allowed to as its mine.

Agree about the cd rootkit affair, that was a royal pain in the !!!! for sony and also the poor end users.
    It was only a problem for sony when they were found out.
  • swvillafan
    That's cool.

I know people should be allowed the freedom to do what they want with items that they purchase, its their item. I personally wouldn't want to do it for fear of breaking it, 240 is a lot of money to throw at something to have it potentially broken but that's the risk you take.

For me the PS3 is a cheaper alternative to PC gaming (at least as far as the hardware is concerned!). I'm not adverse to PC gaming (still like C&C Red Alert 2 ) but find that to play the latest games your machine needs to be kept up to a reasonable spec to run a game at a decent resolution (at least if you buy a console game you know it will run without much hassle on the console its designed for). Remember the original Crysis? I'm pretty sure that required a fairly expensive PC to run at any kind of decent speed and with good graphics at the same time, certainly more than the outlay on a console.

Anyhoo, must be off, sleep beckons!

Take care!
    Useful is beautiful
  • 23n1th
    I'm not a big enough gamer to justify a sole gaming machine though I love building computers and do like to do some demanding tasks like video encoding and Virtual Machines etc, gaming is something that can be done on my PC because of the other stuff I do on it.
  • tsoulrooh
    Originally posted by Scotty1.7
    try saynoto0870 website. or main switchboard 01932 816000
    • bluenoseam
    • By bluenoseam 19th May 11, 12:41 AM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 8,227 Thanks
    bluenoseam
    The problem i have with the games offered is pretty simple, you look at the titles and frankly you are hit (if you're slightly aware of gaming) by the fact 4 of those games are 2+ years old and 2 of those games have sold over 2m units since release (Infamous & LBP). I know it seems picky, but 5 titles of which if you wanted them chances are you already HAD them is a bit low on the ground - it would have been interesting to see what Microsoft would have offered.
  • asbokid
    Does everyone remember the Windows rootkit that Sony was distributing on its audio CDs?

If you put a Sony music CD into a PC, the rootkit installed itself without your knowledge onto the machine and made covert modifications to the Windows operating system.

Sony's plan was to disable Windows in a way that would stop music CDs from ever being copied on the PC.

Unfortunately, the Sony rootkit often crashed the computer, and also opened up the computer to the risk of attack from other malicious code..

You could say that the total collapse of the Sony Playstation network and the vast loss of revenues this has caused, is karma for the criminal actions of Sony and its BMG rootkit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_BMG_copy_protection_rootkit_scandal

P.S. Sony also steals other people's software. For example the widely used and respected LAME MP3 encoder was ripped off by Sony and passed off as the Corporation's own property. Thieves!
    Last edited by asbokid; 19-05-2011 at 3:36 AM.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 19th May 11, 3:41 AM
    • 34,599 Posts
    • 29,317 Thanks
    custardy
    The problem i have with the games offered is pretty simple, you look at the titles and frankly you are hit (if you're slightly aware of gaming) by the fact 4 of those games are 2+ years old and 2 of those games have sold over 2m units since release (Infamous & LBP). I know it seems picky, but 5 titles of which if you wanted them chances are you already HAD them is a bit low on the ground - it would have been interesting to see what Microsoft would have offered.
    Originally posted by bluenoseam
    TBH I expected them to simply offer PSN credit and folks could put it to what they wanted
    • aliEnRIK
    • By aliEnRIK 19th May 11, 12:43 PM
    • 17,559 Posts
    • 8,209 Thanks
    aliEnRIK
    So sonys 'free' service was hacked and they give 2 games away etc. But everyone slags them off for it? I played Portal 2 for a week - theres plenty of games that dont require the network to be on.
    I agree that theyve done some dodgy things in the past, but microsoft have done WAAAY worse

I think sony have done very well considering the cost
    • bluenoseam
    • By bluenoseam 19th May 11, 1:38 PM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 8,227 Thanks
    bluenoseam
    Ah but you see the problem comes not in the fact a free service was hacked, but that private data was taken - so that's where the redress has come to play, also Sony are trying to save face and improve customer confidence amongst a bunch of people less known for their loyalty and more known for being very volatile. Sony looked at the figures and saw some alarming trends (concerning the number of people who traded their PS3's in for either cash or an Xbox), further to this they also recognise the fact that SERIOUS errors were made and customers were very angry with regards to the data theft & lack of transparency from them. Sony have a track record for being slightly underhanded - if you can find any corporation anywhere in the world that has a 100% virginal record on this i'll personally shake your hand - but this is an unprecidented incident in the field and could potentially have run into BILLIONS of dollars of lawsuits.

The reason people are slagging them off for it is the fact it's a closed offer on a very small scale - you are being given 30 days free access to PSN+ that isn't being argued about by gamers, the issue comes from the GAMES being offered. I know of atleast one person with a PS3 who has 3 of the games mentioned, to him this "deal" is less than stellar given the fact there's a strong possibility he has used his CC to order addons to other games, he's basically stuck with Wipeout & Dead Nation - he won't play Wipeout so basically his "compensation" for the breach in trust is 1 game. I know i've been critical of it, i have none of the games offered, but truth be told the only one of those 5 games which i'd play is infamous as i have zero interest in LBP or Ratchet & Clank, i remember how cack Wipeout was on the original Playstation & Dead Nation doesn't appeal to me given i already have Dead Rising 2 & have Left 4 Dead on the 360. As i pointed out, two of those games are within the top 40 titles in terms of all time sales of Playstation 3 games - by all accounts no one expected them to say "ok so have a copy of Killzone 3 & God of War 3" but offering 2 year old first party games kinda smacks of being less than genuine.

As i said, i'd also have loved to see what the response would have been if Microsoft had been in this position, i know it's neither anywhere near the scale nor anywhere near the severity but there was an issue this week regarding potential hardware incompatibility with certain new format game discs on the 360. Microsoft discovered the problem and IMMEDIATELY went into fix mode, rather than mess around with anything, they decided to REPLACE all affected consoles with a brand new 250g 360 - while they've confirmed they expect this to be a small number of machines that's a pretty prompt & reactive course of action. Now that's not to say Microsoft weren't complacent in their handling of previous errors (I'm thinking in particular of RRoD) but when you look at the mistakes learned there and their fixes (such as increasing the warranty periods) you can see Microsoft pro-actively avoiding the same nightmare that Sony are currently going through. I'm sure i've said that it shocks me that Xbox Live has been up for 8 years now with no reported hacks - that's a pretty big target on Microsoft's back, now more than ever, but ultimately their security has stood firm, yeah you pay for it, but i'm sure if you ask most people if they'd happily pay a small fee for increased security most of those PSN subscribers (myself included) would say yes.
    • jaydeeuk1
    • By jaydeeuk1 3rd Jun 11, 8:31 AM
    • 7,454 Posts
    • 4,942 Thanks
    jaydeeuk1
    Lol. Hacked again!

Will there be a better offer now?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,430Posts Today

7,447Users online

Martin's Twitter