Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • namakemono
    • 10th May 11, 8:04 PM
    • 10th May 11, 8:04 PM
    It's got to be cashback sites for me- nobody I know has heard of them really, and a couple have even insisted they must be a scam even though I've shown them that I've been paid from them!
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 12-05-2011 at 4:25 PM.
    • MaggieBaking
    • By MaggieBaking 10th May 11, 8:15 PM
    • 954 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    MaggieBaking
    • 10th May 11, 8:15 PM
    • 10th May 11, 8:15 PM
    Tesco Rewards - I still know lots of people who don't know about converting them into 3 times their value!!

We love the cinema tickets and restaurant vouchers!!

A friend got married a couple of years ago. I realised her hotel was included in Tescos Rewards so for £30 in vouchers I was able to have a 2 night stay there for FREE! I just couldn't believe it at the time.
    Last edited by MaggieBaking; 12-05-2011 at 8:41 AM.
    • oldtractor
    • By oldtractor 10th May 11, 8:30 PM
    • 2,206 Posts
    • 15,032 Thanks
    oldtractor
    • 10th May 11, 8:30 PM
    • 10th May 11, 8:30 PM
    Growing your own fruit and veg,making homemade hearty soups,keeping chickens.
  • espresso21
    • 10th May 11, 8:31 PM
    • 10th May 11, 8:31 PM
    I stumbled across a cashback site last night and thought it must be a scam; however, I've still signed up as it sounds like a good idea. It's good to hear someone say they have used them and really got money back!
    • Ladyhawk
    • By Ladyhawk 10th May 11, 8:48 PM
    • 2,050 Posts
    • 13,467 Thanks
    Ladyhawk
    • 10th May 11, 8:48 PM
    • 10th May 11, 8:48 PM
    I was telling some colleagues today about topcashback... they also thought it about scam. I think they may have come round to my way of thinking!
    Man plans and God laughs...

Perhaps travel cannot prevent bigotry. But by demonstrating that all people cry, laugh, eat, worry and die, it introduces the idea that if we try to understand each other, we may even become friends.
    • boots_babe
    • By boots_babe 10th May 11, 8:59 PM
    • 2,894 Posts
    • 1,380 Thanks
    boots_babe
    • 10th May 11, 8:59 PM
    • 10th May 11, 8:59 PM
    Shopping around!

So basic, yet so many people fail to do so. Whether it's clothes shopping, food shopping, or bigger things like utility bills, cars, loans, mortgages, etc.

My mind boggles when I think of how much money people waste simply due to buying from one place all the time.

• destroyerofdebt2011
    • 10th May 11, 9:10 PM
    • 10th May 11, 9:10 PM
    Simply using leftovers in inventive ways

the left over mash potatoes dont have to be mash for the 2nd night they could be fish cakes/shepards pie/bubble & squeak it doesnt have to be boring!
    HSBC £3223.20 £2060.00
    Cap1 £1724.91 £1782.00
    OD £939.78 £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
  • espresso21
    • 10th May 11, 9:12 PM
    • 10th May 11, 9:12 PM
    Using credit cards with money-back rewards. I always pay my credit card back at the end of the month to avoid debt, but I get quite a bit of money back. If you're going to spend the money anyway you might as well be rewarded for it, and if you also use a cash back website, then that's a bonus!
    • Patr100
    • By Patr100 10th May 11, 9:38 PM
    • 1,356 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    Patr100
    Get a bike!
    ---I Shop Therefore I Am ---
  • rachbc
    Not buying stuff you don't need! And having a strict definition of need!
    • shazzprozz
    • By shazzprozz 10th May 11, 9:41 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    shazzprozz
    take packed lunch to work..simple but effective...just look at the price of those limp lettuce pre packed sandwiches!
    • shazzprozz
    • By shazzprozz 10th May 11, 9:45 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    shazzprozz
    Not buying stuff you don't need! And having a strict definition of need!
    Originally posted by rachbc
    dont buy stuff in poundland just because its cheap...think do you need it or are you buying because its cheap...false economy.
    • Patchwork Quilt
    • By Patchwork Quilt 10th May 11, 11:15 PM
    • 1,837 Posts
    • 11,056 Thanks
    Patchwork Quilt
    Look in the wardrobe before buying new clothes.
  • tarryflynn
    Buy all your fruit and vegetables in the local market rather than supermarkets. I did a price comparison recently here in Wood Green, and everything was at least 30% cheaper in the market. Some produce like broccoli, carrots and Pink Lady apples were 50% cheaper. They probably have a shorter shelf life, but it just means you buy every few days rather than once a week.
    • COOLTRIKERCHICK
    • By COOLTRIKERCHICK 11th May 11, 12:06 AM
    • 10,419 Posts
    • 58,340 Thanks
    COOLTRIKERCHICK
    I cant get over how some people still dont know, or look at the prices they pay for things in the supermarket, they havent got a clue how much they pay for milk etc
    Work to live= not live to work
  • Legion90
    Dont understand how some people just settle for a low saving interest rate such as 0.5% variable because "all rates are crap just now anyways" Shop around and get best value!

Also compare, compare and compare some more until you know you getting the most bang for your buck. This should range from everything such as energy bills, TV to your regular shopping
    • Sheepster
    • By Sheepster 11th May 11, 7:10 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Sheepster
    1. Put on a pullover if it's just the tiniest bit colder than usual.....instead of banging up the heating and walking around in your underwear or similar.

2. When the washing up liquid bottle seems empty, squeeze it to get some air out, put it underwater, then let it fill. Give it a shake and you might have to put in a little bit more of the soapy water you will have a bottle load of, but you will get at least four more washes out of this.

3. COMPARE GAS/ELECTRIC SUPPLIERS REGULARLY. So obvious but it almost scares me the number of people who will be paying 00's more than they need to just through inertia of thinking "oh they'll all be the same"

4. A bit of a tricky one, but worth I think considering - there is money saving, and there is money saving which in the long run is money wasting. What I mean is the old saying "buy cheap - pay twice". It may be worth paying just that little bit extra (not necessarily that much) to get a better more reliable brand of washing machine. In the longer term - you will save a lot more.
    Of course - shop around for this better brand
    • Essex-girl
    • By Essex-girl 11th May 11, 7:21 AM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 46,632 Thanks
    Essex-girl
    Menu Planning

This makes so much difference to my shopping bill it's untrue. Pre MSE I bought the same things at the supermarket week in week in week out and then wasted so much. Also menu planning stops that mad rush thinking about what to have for dinner at 5pm then ending up getting a takeaway.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 12-05-2011 at 4:28 PM.
    • cloud_cuckoo_land
    • By cloud_cuckoo_land 11th May 11, 7:33 AM
    • 335 Posts
    • 3,555 Thanks
    cloud_cuckoo_land
    Have a look at the "buy 2 for" deals carefully, sometimes you will get a real bargain - others aren't worth it at all!! Don't assume just because it has a big yellow sign in front of it it's going to be cheaper!
    Light Bulb Moment 29/03/10!!
    Starting Fresh to get my house and finances sorted! 02/02/12
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

9,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin