Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Apr 11, 11:45 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 27th Apr 11, 11:45 AM
    May 2011 Grocery Challenge 27th Apr 11 at 11:45 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the fifth Grocery Challenge of 2011,

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your April budget, then keep on posting in the April 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #7 and #8 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3, #4, #5 and #6 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-04-2011 at 3:42 PM.
Page 14
  • cat_smith

yes i have those things. is that what you would use? just a stock with some herbs, etc?
    Originally posted by cutiepieabf
    Definitely not criticising packet mixes (used to live on them as a student but received large schwarz spice rack with everything for a house warming present) but for a sausage casserole I use 2 onions, 8 sausages, brown. Little flour. 1 1/2 dstspns paprika, 1/3 of chilli. Tin of tomatoes, 2 carrots. Oxo stock cube and enough water to cover. Salt/Pepper. Simmer 1 hr add mushrooms in last 10 mins.

Bit more hassle, but I like cooking. As with most casserole type things, its actually better the 2nd day
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 5th May 11, 5:35 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,664 Thanks
    sistercas
    Well, as it turns out if you order 44 bags of pasta they deliver 44 bags of pasta.

d.
    Originally posted by dibblersan
    hee hee that made laugh
    i have a few bags of 9p pasta in stock but probably 38 packs fewer than you do

been shopping spent far more than intended will tally it all up tomorrow and adjust my sig

still need to go to t3sco as well tomorrow
    • gien
    • By gien 5th May 11, 5:38 PM
    • 1,645 Posts
    • 15,703 Thanks
    gien
    Needed to get some apples and rice today so my total is now 56.80€. I'm going to go to Aldi tomorrow for a top up shop of fruit and veg as we're almost out. Managed to pick a bit of salad from the garden today which was a nice treat!
    Trying to keep in budget.

• Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 5th May 11, 6:13 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    hee hee that made laugh
    i have a few bags of 9p pasta in stock but probably 38 packs fewer than you do
    Originally posted by sistercas
    Have looked both in store and on My $upermarket but cant find pasta for 9p. Cheapest I can find is 100% dearer Te$co value pasta quills.

Spent loads today but thankfully not all from grocery budget. Now have strawberries and tumbling tomatoes in hanging baskets and fingers crossed they grow.

On the grocery front spent £32.94 in Te$co and 99p in c0-0p. Slightly more than usual but myself and DH have started the s.w. diet and also brought the mag which was £2.75 Oh well if I dont lose lbs I have already lost nearly £3's
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH £62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 5th May 11, 6:15 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    well my meal plan for the day went completely out the window, we got stuck in oh's work (our roads being resurfaced and altho we can in theory get up it in practice we're really struggling) so had lunch there so a free lunch, were not long home and my heads pounding and oh was after a chippy tea, but i was very good and said no, the boys had left overs and we just had chips beans and cheese, saying no to takeaway when i feel sickly is a real achievement for me so i thought i'd post
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 5th May 11, 7:16 PM
    • 9,156 Posts
    • 16,982 Thanks
    calleyw
    Up to a £24 spend.

Got a bargain today 32 slices of smoked bacon on date for 99p but it is 4 packets. So just the right size.

Yours

Calley
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 5th May 11, 7:41 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    havent been on for a while but managed to catch up with the posts, havent declared last months total as i lost track near the end, must tru harder this month!!
    So far ive spent £36 on DR delivery which came today, my second order and im pleased with the food although can be pricey so not very MS, i usually get the offers.
    Need to do weekly shop tomorrow or weekend and note to myself only buy what i really need
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 5th May 11, 8:12 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    NSD today. Good stuff. I have now started a spreadsheet for my spending, as I seem to get through a lot of money, but don't really know how. Have headings like petrol, food, ch ents, etc, and am quite shocked at how much I've spent this month already. Think I will be doing the everything challenge, not just the grocery challenge!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • rosieben
    Have looked both in store and on My $upermarket but cant find pasta for 9p. Cheapest I can find is 100% dearer Te$co value pasta quills. ...
    Originally posted by Billie-jo
    As#a have 9p pasta too
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • dibblersan
    • By dibblersan 5th May 11, 9:02 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,491 Thanks
    dibblersan
    I need to ask, what does DR mean? Is it a supermarket?

And does anyone know of meat or veg boxes that cover the cf72 area near cardiff?

thank you.

Good news on the saving money front, just been given 3 chicken legs and thighs by a neighbour. A little past their best, but not yet off, so cooking them tonight and I'll have them cold tomorrow and the day after.

every little helps.
    One of the hardest of all life lessons is this:

Just because I feel bad doesn’t necessarily mean someone else is doing something wrong.

Just because I feel good doesn’t necessarily mean what I am doing is right.
  • janie-h
    Hi all

Sorry I'm a bit late arriving on the May thread (can't believe it's May already! )

As usual, many thanks to all who run this thread and can I be in again for £250 for May please and thank you x

First spends -

I**land - £31.78

Will update sig and spend the rest of the evening catching up on the thread.
  • Hippeechiq
    Evening all......(said in my best Dixon of Dock Green voice )

Nice to see you back XSpender How is the new job going?
    Hello and welcome to all newbies

I'm having a horrible week. Full of important appointments and I've not slept properly since last week, meaning my head is even more foggy than it's usual menopausal, stressed out self
    On the bright side though, DD is handling the week very well, and I'd rather it was me having the rough week than her

jackieO /hippeechiq i like the envelope system, i think i will adopt it , my problem is i have a fear that i wont have enough money when i get to the till . how do you overcome that ?
    Originally posted by sistercas
    Hiya sistercas
    I know what you mean - it's always been a fear of mine too.
    I work out how much my shopping is going to come to before I go out. I appreciate that this may not be so easy to do if you're spending £30, £40 or more in one go but as I have to carry home what I buy, mine seldom comes to more than £20 per outing.......actually, I work out how much it's going to come to in each of the shops I go to before I leave home. Needs must when my money is so tight.

Also - the £25 that I save out of my GC budget each month for Xm*s, stays in my account until the end of the month, so if I were to go over, I could use my DC and dip into that, but I've never had to, and I'd be damned annoyed with myself if I did....it doesn't alter the fact that I know it's there if I did miscalculate though

Having an expensive start to the month, already at £41.86 I have used some items from my stock, so have had to pay back the 2nd Purse, but even so - I'd rather it was less than £41.86 on day 5 fgs!

I've noticed a couple of Te$co value items disappear in the last month - wouldn't surprise me if all the SMs tried to phase out their value/smartprice/basics range - the gits!

Welcome dibblersan
    DR are an online butchers that sell very good quality meat. Spigs & Mothership are the girls to ask, as they use them I believe.
    http://www.donaldrussell.com/pages/category/category.asp?ctgry=ShopByCategory_Butchers&cookie_ test=1
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • kalojac
    • By kalojac 5th May 11, 9:52 PM
    • 422 Posts
    • 5,363 Thanks
    kalojac
    Hi Pink Winged - can you please put me down for £350 please, will update my sig soon, thank you
    • boysma
    • By boysma 6th May 11, 5:59 AM
    • 827 Posts
    • 12,862 Thanks
    boysma
    Declaring another 19.94 spent over last few days inc 1.99 for 2 loo rolls in local garage That wont happen again I can tell you.

Emptying freezer rapidly but keeping to my shopping lists pretty well so far, so for once I am rather optimistic about this month - have a feeling that will come back to bite me in the b*m
    Payment A Day £15 (started 17/5/14)
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 6th May 11, 7:41 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    I have only spent £26.41 of this week's budget - I have been extra frugal. I'll need to spend about £40 next week, on Monday, but aiming for minimum spend till then. Planning to buy DS some fruit and yoghurt when we go to town later but that's it till Monday. Off to update my sig.
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • nessie216
    • By nessie216 6th May 11, 8:11 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    nessie216
    I actually don't normally, but I don't want to go silly over budget. I tend to use approved food for my tins. I place an order for about £100 or so but don't want to do that for a while.

Tesco pasta was just too good to resist at 9p but there's no way I could have bought it with no car
    Originally posted by dibblersan
    9p???

Looked online and it is showing up 18p - so not fair!

• cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 6th May 11, 8:30 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Definitely not criticising packet mixes (used to live on them as a student but received large schwarz spice rack with everything for a house warming present) but for a sausage casserole I use 2 onions, 8 sausages, brown. Little flour. 1 1/2 dstspns paprika, 1/3 of chilli. Tin of tomatoes, 2 carrots. Oxo stock cube and enough water to cover. Salt/Pepper. Simmer 1 hr add mushrooms in last 10 mins.

Bit more hassle, but I like cooking. As with most casserole type things, its actually better the 2nd day
    Originally posted by cat_smith
    thanks, i'll try this.
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • slbhill
    • By slbhill 6th May 11, 8:49 AM
    • 5,208 Posts
    • 363,292 Thanks
    slbhill
    Had a mixed evening yesterday! Went to MrT for weekly shop and stocked up on some things, should only need fresh stuff for the rest of the month I hope.

Got home and decided to do a bit of cooking. Knocked the cookbooks over which sent my card index of recipes flying across the kitchen, cards everywhere. The box didn't break & nothing landed in the pan soaking in the sink, so I picked it all up and put it back, only to knock it off again, this time the box did break. (Who, me clumsy??) Thought I would make carrot cake to use up some of last week's whoopsied bag of carrots, reached into the bag & found that two of them had gone liquid in the bottom of the bag and of course they had "bled" all over the others. Somehow I hadn't even noticed but once they were out they STANK, yeuch . In a way it was lucky that the goo had got onto the bag of potatoes (also whoopsied) I had just put in the veg drawer - I emptied the potatoes from the bag & found two were already brown and squishy on one side which I hadn't noticed in the shop. It looked like the bag had been dropped from a huge height and several of the spuds were bashed or split.

I also realised a slight problem with my planning - I had bought a big bag of mince, some onions and other oddments to try my hand at batch cooking. But there I estimate the available space in the freezer at 3 cubic inches

On the plus side I did make the cake without further incident and iced it using some Philly I'd had for ages (just within date). The cake was undercooked so it disintegrates rather easily but as long as you don't mind eating it with a spoon it's lovely

Just off to update my signature, let's hope i don't have any more traumas in the kitchen tonight!
    • Chloris
    • By Chloris 6th May 11, 8:57 AM
    • 651 Posts
    • 9,422 Thanks
    Chloris
    Have updated signature. Horrible. Must do better. Can do better. I am batch cooking for freezer so it should ease up now. Also replaced all toothbrushes. But still, must do better. NSD here.

Off to make carrot cake out of sad carrots and fruit loaf in BM. Also making fish cakes with LO mash and HM breadcrumbs for tea, will make double so freeze some.

Good luck everyone!
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 6th May 11, 9:11 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    ... Welcome dibblersan
    DR are an online butchers that sell very good quality meat. Spigs & Mothership are the girls to ask, as they use them I believe.
    http://www.donaldrussell.com/pages/category/category.asp?ctgry=ShopByCategory_Butchers&cookie_ test=1
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq

Hi Hippeechiq,

No dibblersan, I don't buy from D*n*ld R*ss*ll but Mothership is a very big fan as are a couple of other members. I only buy meat from my local butcher which I find is far better quality, usually better value and is often more locally raised than anything I could buy in the sm. Also no sm free range eggs are as cheap as the fr organic eggs from my butcher. And I used to live not far from the farm where the eggs are sourced when I was a teenager (a long time ago ).

You and I are not too far apart by the way dibblersan. I don't have them but certainly the R*verf*rd veg boxes are available here (west of Cardiff) so you could check out their website. Alternatively, if you have a local market, (does Ponty still have one????) that's where you'll tend to get the very best value on f&v. Farmers markets can be good and offer things you may not see on your high street/sm but the ones I've visited have been hugely expensive by comparison to - well just about anywhere! As I don't have a market close to me I buy all my f&v from my local high street grocer (with the exception of bananas which I occasionally buy in the sm). Hope that helps.

Got to get off to work and hope to see you all later.

Take care,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,183Posts Today

8,230Users online

Martin's Twitter