Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • bsuije
    • By bsuije 3rd May 11, 11:53 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    bsuije
    • 3rd May 11, 11:53 PM
    • 3rd May 11, 11:53 PM
    Last summer we did a tour of Scotland and stayed 3 or 4 nights at youth hostels - all paid for by the vouchers! Absolutely brilliant!! This year, we're saving the vouchers for a similar holiday to Wales.

Other than that, I find that the vouchers are good value at restaurants - used to use them for Bella Italia.

As for no-no deals: cinema tickets, as they are cheaper to buy at normal price (at least where I live)!
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 06-05-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    • babymoneyblagger
    • By babymoneyblagger 4th May 11, 12:13 AM
    • 598 Posts
    • 561 Thanks
    babymoneyblagger
    • 4th May 11, 12:13 AM
    • 4th May 11, 12:13 AM
    absolutely worth it ... Chef and Brewer vouchers!! you only pay for drinks if you have enough vouchers to cover the whole meal, the food at the Gatwick Manor restaurant was fantastic and so was the service - great for when you are off on your hols as right next to premier inn at gatwick.
    Comp wins 2013:160 finish quantum tabs, 2xtickets private screening of prisoners(Jake n Hugh 2)
    Lights4you - Battery powered Rose Lights,
    120 worth of local symphony orchestra concerts, Bulmers bottle n beanie hat, Imperial Leather Batiste dry shampoo & tanning stuff (thanks Genie).
    • mazzaott
    • By mazzaott 4th May 11, 1:24 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    mazzaott
    • 4th May 11, 1:24 AM
    • 4th May 11, 1:24 AM
    We've had excellent deals with Virgin Holidays through Tesco Clubcard points. Last year we got 3590 off a month's holiday for 2 to Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and Thailand. Booked before the 700 each max was introduced. We have just returned from two weeks in Singapore and Bali and got 1400 off. We also booked for Dubai and Sri Lanka for next February with another 1400 off. Of course if you book now you can only get a max of 500 off each person's holiday, but we've been places we only ever dreamed of and only paying ourselves what a decent hotel in the Med would cost.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 4th May 11, 7:41 AM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 37,222 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 4th May 11, 7:41 AM
    • 4th May 11, 7:41 AM
    50 in Tesco vouchers buys a year's Merlin Pass - the ideal birthday present for my roller coaster mad DS as it gives him free entry to Alton Towers, Thorpe Park, Legoland, Chessington etc plus discounts within the parks. It is a good deal for him because he lives within easy travel of two parks and belongs to a club that visits roller coasters regularly.

I'm getting DD's wedding dress cleaned, packed in acid-free tissue paper and boxed for 60 in Tesco vouchers. Normally this would cost 180! In a town that has no independent dry cleaners this is a good deal.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 06-05-2011 at 12:05 PM.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • tillycat123
    • By tillycat123 4th May 11, 9:05 AM
    • 922 Posts
    • 927 Thanks
    tillycat123
    • 4th May 11, 9:05 AM
    • 4th May 11, 9:05 AM
    We've had excellent deals with Virgin Holidays through Tesco Clubcard points. Last year we got 3590 off a month's holiday for 2 to Singapore, Australia, New Zealand and Thailand. Booked before the 700 each max was introduced. We have just returned from two weeks in Singapore and Bali and got 1400 off. We also booked for Dubai and Sri Lanka for next February with another 1400 off. Of course if you book now you can only get a max of 500 off each person's holiday, but we've been places we only ever dreamed of and only paying ourselves what a decent hotel in the Med would cost.
    Originally posted by mazzaott
    Blimy charlie, This many points can't be got with regular purchases surely? I have the Tesco credit card regulary 2K plus a month and only rake up enough points for a few meals out.
    • _nate
    • By _nate 4th May 11, 9:25 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    _nate
    • 4th May 11, 9:25 AM
    • 4th May 11, 9:25 AM
    BA Miles. It's a very long term strategy, but if you save them up using several different ways (including BA American Express cards) and then redeem them in business or first class (especially when they have a reward flight sale) then you get astounding value for money.
  • PippaGammon
    • 4th May 11, 11:42 AM
    • 4th May 11, 11:42 AM
    Days out (Drusillas is our favourite haunt) - fantastic value even though it is only 3 times face value now. It makes a day out with the extended family (10 of us) affordable. We have also had many holidays over the years including a week on a narrowboat, a week in a mobile home and then on a boat in France last year, city breaks in Switzerland (Lucerne & Interlaken) and Italy (Rome & Venice), a couple of nights on the Isle of Wight and a couple more on Hayling Island - not quite in the same league as the Virgin Far East holidays, but definitely worth it.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 06-05-2011 at 12:06 PM.
    • russetred
    • By russetred 4th May 11, 12:29 PM
    • 1,229 Posts
    • 9,371 Thanks
    russetred
    • 4th May 11, 12:29 PM
    • 4th May 11, 12:29 PM
    I'm another for virgin holidays.Before they capped your voucher limit We got a free holiday to Egypt with cosmos. We paid half price to go to Kenya and I'm looking at a saving of around 2500 off a sri lankan holiday next year none of which I could afford without Tesco clubcard.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • topgranny
    Last August I used 20 worth of vouchers to take out an annual family pass for Trentham Gardens. We don't live far away and go there fairly often. Not only do we get entrance to the gardens and kids' play area for us and up to 3 children (would normally be about 27 a time) but anything we buy in the huge Blue Diamond sales area and garden centre gets 10% off with our card. We can also eat in the restaurants and cafe with 10% off. My daughter, daughter-in-law and I go there for a meal and shop whenever one of us has a birthday, plus DH and I take our grandsons regularly during the year.

I know it's not practical for everyone but I'll definitely be renewing our cards in August.
    Always skip and eat your peas
    • BobbinAlong
    • By BobbinAlong 4th May 11, 4:26 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 153 Thanks
    BobbinAlong
    Clubcard vouchers opened the way to Europe for us - 30 of clubcard vouchers at last year's 4x value got us both ways on the channel tunnel last summer and we camped our way down to the Med and back. Planning the same again this year but to take son to university in Germany.
  • salwal48
    Tesco Rewards
    We live on the Isle of Wight and always use vouchers for Wightlink Ferry. A car and four passengers can cost 90 + so it's a great use of them.
  • salwal48
    Tesco Rewards
    As well as Wightlink, I used them to join the RAC, thankfully because I've broken down twice on the M1 since I joined!!!
  • 06lizzie
    I use my tesco rewards for hotel stays, last year my husband and i stayed in a 4star hotel in edinburgh which cost 12 and for the last 3 years had a girls weekend to london in a 5star hotel for free.
    This years family holiday is to the isle of wight and will have a free ferry crossing and days out with our english heritage membership thanks to tesco. Days out and restaurants i use the remainder of my vouchers but tend to stay clear of using them for flights as can get good cheap budget deals online.
    Saving this years vouchers for family trip to eurodisney and the obligatory girls weekend jolly!
    • Thrift
    • By Thrift 4th May 11, 4:51 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Thrift
    Check the Days Out deals. We have used vouchers to buy entry to both Blenheim Palace and the Shakespeare Houses and have been able to turn our entry tickets into annual passes. Excellent value, especially if you live fairly close to an attraction that allows it. These attractions with multiple displays and exhibitions spread over a wide area are almost impossible to complete in a single day anyway.
  • cindyted
    Blimy charlie, This many points can't be got with regular purchases surely? I have the Tesco credit card regulary 2K plus a month and only rake up enough points for a few meals out.
    Originally posted by tillycat123
    I have one of the first Tesco Credit cards and I have had a holiday in Sri Lanka, Malvives and Dubai (all in one holiday), A cruse last winter for 7 days on Princess cruises, and I am going to africa next month, all with Tesco vouchers.
    But because of the reduction in exchange ie, 3 times value instead of 4 times value and only being able to put 500 to a virgin holiday I am considering changing to BA miles.
  • TheLandlady
    We previously went skiing with Virgin holidays in Canada (my husband and I) using all Tesco vouchers from points saved up over 3 years. We didn't have to pay anything extra. We were saving for Virgin holiday again when they capped it without enough notice meaning you could no longer pay entirely in points for a virgin holiday and would have to add real money which wasn't an option for us. We had already changed some points for virgin holiday vouchers but Tesco allowed us to swap them to Princess Cruises who do allow full payment if you have enough points- so we were able to have a 17 night cruise in a balcony cabin, amazing!. We hadn't had a holiday for nearly 4 years since the ski trip. Since the points doubled we've been able to save up a bit faster, I also now 'shop for points'. If the opportunity is there to get extra bonus points and if it's something that I would buy anyway at some point (ha ha excuse pun) such as printer ink or wine then I treat it like putting 500 points (worth 15) into our holiday fund. I've also bought furniture (5000 bonus points) this year and ALL our fuel and food shopping from Tesco, nearly saved enough for cruise 2.
    Last edited by TheLandlady; 05-05-2011 at 8:57 AM.
    • horsechestnut
    • By horsechestnut 5th May 11, 9:08 AM
    • 1,410 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    horsechestnut
    I have used mine to purchase my RAC membership for several years, but this year I won't have enough since the 4x value has stopped! I am very "old style" so don't spend a lot. If there isn't anything else that I want I'll save them so that they will pay for next year's RAC membership.
  • BevtheBandit
    In the last 5 years my husband and I have had a 3-week trip to San Fran/Las Vegas/LA with car, at a cost of only 500 (after using vouchers), 2-weeks in Zante for just over 300, and we've just returned from a 2-week break in the Algarve for just over 240. However, now that we can only get 3 x times face value on vouches I may follow the same route as Cindyted above, and look at converting vouchers to BA miles instead
    • troubrs
    • By troubrs 5th May 11, 11:08 AM
    • 107 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    troubrs
    I exchanged vouchers for English Heritage in November (so got 4x) then sent in the coupon just before the Easter Holidays - our membership came through in April dated to end April 2012 so we get 2 x Easters in a years' membership. For me & hubby it cost 20 Tesco points & we can take up to 8 kids each free! We went to Audley End Easter Sunday & it would have cost 32.50 for family entry so we've paid for it already, but are planning to do Framlingham castle, Orford Castle, Tilbury Fort, Audley end again (lots to see & do), Dover Castle, Wellington Arch & Beeston castle. That list alone is over 170 worth of days out & still worth it at 3x!

We also had a fab weekend in London for my Mum's 70th. I got a cheap hotel deal elsewhere for a specific hotel we wanted, although could have used clubcard points. We had a slap up meal at Chez gerard in Covent garden, took Mum on the Eye & went to the Britain at War Experience all on Tesco points. Then as a final surprise treat, we had tea at the Ritz, everyone lughed at me because I was so disappointed I had to pay full price for something! but the other savings helped make it more affordable I guess!

We have had holidays in the past, but haven't had enough points recently as we keep spending them on other treats, but I have reduced the cost of our holiday to France in the summer by getting a discount for not taking the ferry & buying Eurotunnel tickets using clubcard points.

otherwise treat days & meals out - Chessington, Chef & Brewer etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,668Posts Today

9,756Users online

Martin's Twitter