Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 11th Apr 05, 6:57 AM
    • 2,296Posts
    • 21,156Thanks
    FrankieM
    What to do with giblets
    • 11th Apr 05, 6:57 AM
    What to do with giblets 11th Apr 05 at 6:57 AM
    can I do anything with the giblets of a chicken other than boil them up and give them to the cat?
Page 1
    • moggins
    • By moggins 11th Apr 05, 7:43 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 11th Apr 05, 7:43 AM
    You could save the livers in a pot in the freezer until you have enough to use for a meal, I make pate or a chicken liver risotto with them.

My mum always used to roast the necks with the chicken and give them to me to nibble at while she was preparing the sunday lunch. Great memories
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • Queenie
    I'll be your cat!!!

I use them to make the stock for my chicken gravy.

Wash and pop in a pan with a chopped onion and some water. Bring to the boil, then simmer. Strain off and use the stock as the base for your gravy.

Once you've eaten your chicken - repeat the above with the carcass and put those giblets back in!

I had a recipe once where you go something else with the giblets, I'll have a rumamge and see if I can find it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    • 11th Apr 05, 7:44 AM
    • 11th Apr 05, 7:44 AM
    Moggins ... with my daughter it was the Parson's Nose!! She still asks for it!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • FrankieM
    • By FrankieM 11th Apr 05, 8:22 AM
    • 2,296 Posts
    • 21,156 Thanks
    FrankieM
    • 11th Apr 05, 8:22 AM
    • 11th Apr 05, 8:22 AM
    Hi Moggins...
    either one of those sounds good so I'll give them a go. They are already defrosted though so do I boil them up first?
    • moggins
    • By moggins 11th Apr 05, 8:35 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 11th Apr 05, 8:35 AM
    • 11th Apr 05, 8:35 AM
    No, you can't cook them first as chicken livers cook so quickly that recooking would make them very tough and nasty, If you don't have enough to do them this time then I'd use Queenies suggestion and make stock this time around and start saving them from the next time.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
    • allIcouldwishfor
    • By allIcouldwishfor 8th Mar 07, 12:28 PM
    • 523 Posts
    • 511 Thanks
    allIcouldwishfor
    • 8th Mar 07, 12:28 PM
    What do I do with giblets?
    • 8th Mar 07, 12:28 PM
    Hi all,

Wondering if you can help me with this particular question.

I've picked up a whole free range duck from waitrose which was reduced, so it's gone in the slow cooker. But what do I do with the giblets?

Once the duck is cooked I'll get all the meat off it and chuck the bones back in to make stock overnight. Should I put the giblets in at that point or chuck them in now with the bird? Or should I just give them to the dog?

Any (polite) suggestions gratefully received!
    I like cooking with wine......sometimes I even put it in the food!
    • Addiscomber
    • By Addiscomber 8th Mar 07, 12:33 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Addiscomber
    • 8th Mar 07, 12:33 PM
    • 8th Mar 07, 12:33 PM
    Don't know about duck giblets (never having cooked one), but chicken or turkey giblets are used for stock/gravy. If you onlyhave one bird this is probably the best use of them as there won't be enough to do anything else with (thinking of chicken liver pate type thing here, but you would need several livers.)
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 8th Mar 07, 12:34 PM
    • 4,025 Posts
    • 5,513 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    • 8th Mar 07, 12:34 PM
    • 8th Mar 07, 12:34 PM
    Me personally would boil them up and the cat would get them. But I guess that's not very moneysaving, but she deserves a treat once in a while. I guess, in your case, boil them up for your doggy.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    Mortgages (End 2017) - 180,235.03
    (End 2018) - 169,999.96
    (End 2019) - Target 160,000
  • Jayar
    You could do either. If you stick em in the SC now they will improve the gravy and if you keep them to add to the carcass stock they will improve that. Apparently though, you are not supposed to use the liver this way, but I'm not sure why.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 8th Mar 07, 12:41 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    I boil them and simmer with an onion to make a base for the gravy. Afterwards I chop up the liver and give it to the cat.....she loves it!

Jayar, the liver is supposed to be bitter if boiled.....I think I read that somewhere......but the cat doesn't seem to mind.

Pink

Edit: Just did a quick search and some of the replies on these older threads may help:

Goose gilbets...

What to do giblets
    Last edited by Pink.; 08-03-2007 at 12:46 PM.
  • Stephen Leak
    Giblets!
    Yo team!

Thanks to the recent "what's in your freezer" thread, I have just remembered that I have two bag's worth of chicken giblets in a food container in the freezer. They came with the fresh chicken we got for Christmas.

I refuse to waste any food while someone else in this world is dying for lack of it.

An internet search has come up with a couple of possible recipes using them, but would always welcome any input from your good selves.
    Last edited by Stephen Leak; 07-01-2008 at 12:30 PM.
  • Maxjessdru
    I used mine to make a stock - just boiled up in a pan with onion, celery and carrot. Then used stock to make a mushroom/chicken risotto - very nice it was too
  • TEENY
    Do you have a cat ? That is what i would do with them especially if moggie is on a biccy diet.

MUMS ARE ANGELS IN DISGUISE
    • Zed42
    • By Zed42 7th Jan 08, 1:02 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 5,621 Thanks
    Zed42
    I'd second..
    the giblet stock, makes for a wonderful gravy
    2017:

GC - Jan -

• Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 7th Jan 08, 1:10 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    If its not a REALLY silly question - what exactly are giblets? Or shouldn't I ask!
  • TEENY
    If its not a REALLY silly question - what exactly are giblets? Or shouldn't I ask!
    Originally posted by Skint_Catt
    BABY GIBS!!!!!

MUMS ARE ANGELS IN DISGUISE
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 7th Jan 08, 1:51 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    BABY GIBS!!!!!
    Originally posted by TEENY
    Even I know that's not true! :rolleyes:
    • Angelraesunshine
    • By Angelraesunshine 7th Jan 08, 1:53 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    Angelraesunshine
    i cooked mine in the oven after our christmas dinner and gave them to the cat she loved them lol. personally i could not stomach them myself.
    Still Trying
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    400/000
    • Angelraesunshine
    • By Angelraesunshine 7th Jan 08, 1:54 PM
    • 1,433 Posts
    • 3,589 Thanks
    Angelraesunshine
    Originally posted by Skint_Catt
    the neck, liver, heart etc on the bird i believe
    Still Trying
    Grocery challenge July 2016
    400/000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,135Posts Today

6,973Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin