Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stuartw101
    • By stuartw101 10th Apr 05, 9:00 PM
    • 371Posts
    • 8Thanks
    stuartw101
    Cheese and bacon savouries
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:00 PM
    Cheese and bacon savouries 10th Apr 05 at 9:00 PM
    Does anyone have a recipe for a Cheese and bacon savoury or know where i can buy them from ready to put in the oven? It is basically pastry with bacon and cheese on top and some pastry folded over the top again. A bakery called Forfars sell them so im not sure if you have one near you but they are very nice.

Thanks
Page 1
  • ancasta
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:05 PM
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:05 PM
    They sound like something greggs the bakers make (might be a geordie thing)

A sqaure of puff pastry with part cooked bacon and grated cheese on top and the pastry folded corner to corner is how i make mine.

Unless im getting confuddled.
    • stuartw101
    • By stuartw101 10th Apr 05, 9:17 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    stuartw101
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:17 PM
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:17 PM
    yeah sounds pretty much the same
  • maggut
    • 11th Apr 05, 2:50 PM
    • 11th Apr 05, 2:50 PM
    They are selling them in Tescos at the mo....a box of 12, two boxes for 5 and they are scrummy!!
    Share a smile today
  • KizzyK
    • 22nd Apr 07, 6:43 PM
    • 22nd Apr 07, 6:43 PM
    Does anyone know how to make these? They sound yummy!
    Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

• Tam Lin
    • 22nd Apr 07, 6:46 PM
    • 22nd Apr 07, 6:46 PM
    I'd buy puff pastry and cut into squares, fry some chopped onion and bacon together, lay it on the pastry, add grated cheese and cook in the oven. Maybe brush the exposed pastry with beaten egg or milk.
    Nelly's other Mr. Hyde
  • Melissa177
    • 22nd Apr 07, 6:56 PM
    • 22nd Apr 07, 6:56 PM
    Mmm. I'm hungry now.

I have made savoury plaits before, and do this:

Buy a pack of puff pastry, and roll it out into a long rectangle.

Score the rectangle lengthways into thirds (ie, three long strips). Do not cut it though!

Cook some bacon pieces (you can buy bacon pieces much cheaply than regular bacon) and pat dry with kitchen towel. Lay these on the centre third of your puff pastry, along with some cheese.

CUT the outer strips of your puff pastry diagonally, so you end up with diagonal strips which you will then plait over the bacon and cheese.

Put in the oven until the puff pastry is golden brown (it should tell you on the packet how long it will need).
    Errors of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it. - Jefferson
  • Noozan
    • 22nd Apr 07, 7:03 PM
    • 22nd Apr 07, 7:03 PM
    I cut rolled puff pastry into squares and lay a rasher of lightly grilled back bacon diagonally across a square. Bring 2 opposite corners of pastry together over the bacon so that you have a kite type shape. Sprinkle with grated cheese and cook at gas mark hot for 15 mins.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • helen0103
    • 23rd Apr 07, 9:49 AM
    • 23rd Apr 07, 9:49 AM
    Mum used to make these but also put some baked beans in with the bacon.
    Last edited by helen0103; 23-04-2007 at 9:50 AM. Reason: Bad Spelling!
    • ells2123
    • By ells2123 23rd Apr 07, 10:06 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 8,926 Thanks
    ells2123
    My mouths watering at my desk here!

I love this forum so much, i've been getting some great recipes and food ideas - things that are so simple and cheap to make that i would just never have thought of before!

Thanks to everyone!

• Raspberry Swirl
    • By Raspberry Swirl 23rd Apr 07, 11:33 AM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 1,442 Thanks
    Raspberry Swirl
    i haven't had one of those for years!!!! thanks for the yummy reminder - i have some puff pastry in the freezer at home
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 23rd Apr 07, 12:21 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I've just made a batch of small ones for lunch boxes Thanks for the reminder
    • debjam
    • By debjam 23rd Apr 07, 6:38 PM
    • 132 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    debjam
    If I make several of these can I freeze them after cooking and then just defrost them and warm them in the microwave if I wanted them warm or would that ruin them?
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 23rd Apr 07, 7:13 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I've frozen mine I was just going to put them in lunch boxes frozen so they'd be ready to eat by lunchtime.

I'm not sure how long to put them in the microwave for, but I'd guess at about 30 secs each.
    • mrwurzal
    • By mrwurzal 30th Jun 08, 2:30 PM
    • 271 Posts
    • 552 Thanks
    mrwurzal
    I have invested!
    Well i say invested, i bought some puff pastry and ready to make a batch of bacon and cheese turnovers....

fingers crossed they will turn out ok!!! hee hee

just off to tesco to get some more cheese!!!

mmmmmmm

cant wait!

anyone want one??
    • Jem8472
    • By Jem8472 30th Jun 08, 3:39 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    Jem8472
    Oh I will have to do these when I get the chance.
    Jeremy

Married 9th May 2009
  • Claero
    I am going to buy puff pastry in the weekly shop so we can have a weekend treat!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,617Posts Today

8,226Users online

Martin's Twitter