Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    'Have you had a FREE flight upgrade?' poll discussion
    • 26th Apr 11, 10:50 AM
    'Have you had a FREE flight upgrade?' poll discussion 26th Apr 11 at 10:50 AM
    Poll started 26 April 2011:

Have you had a FREE flight upgrade in the last year?

We're trying to see how common flight upgrades really are.

Have you had a FREE flight upgrade during the last twelve months?

Yes (please select the reason closest to your situation)

I was on my honeymoon/getting married/celebration
    I am a member of a frequent flyer program
    The flight was overbooked, agreed to wait, got upgrade on next
    I asked and talked them into it
    They simply gave me the upgrade
    I've had more than one

No (please select the reason closest to your situation)

I haven't flown in the last year
    I only fly occasionally, but always shorthaul
    I usually ask but haven't got
    I've flown but never got one

Please vote here, or click 'post reply' to discuss below. Thanks

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 26-04-2011 at 1:46 PM.
Page 1
    • schoolrunmum
    • By schoolrunmum 26th Apr 11, 5:42 PM
    • 2,664 Posts
    • 2,678 Thanks
    schoolrunmum
    • 26th Apr 11, 5:42 PM
    • 26th Apr 11, 5:42 PM
    I've had many upgrades-because my husband was the Captain of the flights! Foolproof
    Debt-free...and staying that way...
  • mayling03
    • 26th Apr 11, 11:10 PM
    • 26th Apr 11, 11:10 PM
    This is an interesting thread!
    • UnluckyT
    • By UnluckyT 27th Apr 11, 9:14 AM
    • 476 Posts
    • 1,317 Thanks
    UnluckyT
    • 27th Apr 11, 9:14 AM
    • 27th Apr 11, 9:14 AM
    A friend of mine told me once that your not very likely to get one, not that ive flown much but i live in hope though?
    Never say never.
    • itsgazza
    • By itsgazza 27th Apr 11, 10:15 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    itsgazza
    • 27th Apr 11, 10:15 AM
    • 27th Apr 11, 10:15 AM
    I've only ever received one "free" upgrade on a flight to Las Vegas

This was given as a bribe to board an earlier shuttle flight from Manchester to Gatwick.

I arrived at Manchester Airport at about 6:30am for a 9:30am connecting flight to take me to Vegas they said " Oh , we can get you on an earlier flight!! "

I declined the offer of an earlier flight as I couln't see the point of spending extra time at Gatwick instead of Manchester ( my family had come to see me off so I would rather spend waiting time with them as opposed to on my own at heathrow..

I was then offered a free upgrade on my Gatwick - Vegas flight IF i took the next available shuttle GREAT !!! ( only problem was my luggage didnt make either flight and arrived 3 days later in Vegas)
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 27th Apr 11, 10:20 AM
    • 10,898 Posts
    • 130,208 Thanks
    kazwookie
    • 27th Apr 11, 10:20 AM
    • 27th Apr 11, 10:20 AM
    Going to watch this with interest to see how it is done to get the upgrade!
    • AHAR
    • By AHAR 27th Apr 11, 10:52 AM
    • 967 Posts
    • 661 Thanks
    AHAR
    • 27th Apr 11, 10:52 AM
    • 27th Apr 11, 10:52 AM
    After getting stuck in Japan due to the volcano last April I was eventually rebooked in Premium Economy with KLM rather than the ordinary Economy of my original ticket.
    I'm guessing it may have been all they had available rather than any kind of special treatment.
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 27th Apr 11, 10:57 AM
    • 17,148 Posts
    • 27,896 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 27th Apr 11, 10:57 AM
    • 27th Apr 11, 10:57 AM
    Been upgraded once - the airline had overbooked (flying heathrow->milan->new york) and offered us an upgrade and a direct flight. Business class was very nice!

Didn't get upgraded on my honeymoon, however i did pay for the upgraded room in the hotel.

We've been upgraded on a cruise ship (inside cabin -> Grand suite), but that was due to a series of mishaps and a lot of complaining
  • waterbaby59
    • 27th Apr 11, 11:35 AM
    A few tricks...
    • 27th Apr 11, 11:35 AM
    We have been upgraded many times - but it's often about who you know. We were lucky enough to work for an airline BUT in a very minor way as a third party, NOT employed by them. It did mean we learnt a few tricks though...

We have also been upgraded as frequent flyer members - if you are and they need to move someone, it will always be the FF members that get assessed first.

Second always dress for a flight in a smart way as if you were going into Business class anyway... that way they know they can move you without it being obvious to full fare paying passengers.

And always be business like but friendly to the check in staff. They get really bored with people always asking and people that are difficult go down the pile.
    • Showem
    • By Showem 27th Apr 11, 12:59 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Showem
    I'm pretty sure anyone who knows how to get upgraded will want to keep that information to themselves, to make sure that THEY are the ones who are upgraded! Although I wish they would tell, I certainly can understand why they might not.
    • ennui
    • By ennui 27th Apr 11, 3:13 PM
    • 83 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    ennui
    I know someone who used to be a minister. Every time he flies, he wears his dog collar - he's been upgraded several times.
    • basill
    • By basill 27th Apr 11, 3:36 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 579 Thanks
    basill
    I got a free upgrade to the emergency exit row of a Monarch flight to Lanzarote recently, they usually charge extra. I said good morning and was my usual charming self at check in. I asked if there were any seats with legroom and the check in lady said with a smile, "go on its nearly the end of my shift".

Result!

B
    • emmbrook
    • By emmbrook 4th May 11, 1:32 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    emmbrook
    I don't get many upgrades but I have had a few - mostly economy to business with Emirates, and once with Jet, though BA did once move me from business to first which was very nice - and for no discernable reason.

Having gold status in a FF programme is by far the best way to get upgraded.
    • Boozer
    • By Boozer 4th May 11, 2:05 PM
    • 337 Posts
    • 412 Thanks
    Boozer
    I got upgraded recently with Emirates when i achieved Silver member status, many people mention about dressing properly and things but whenever i have been upgraded it has never actually been at check in, and always been when handing over my boarding pass just before the gate, so i do not particularly believe in the dressing smart thing.

Waterbaby, do you have any proof about them worrying at all if it is obvious to full paying passengers or not?? would be nice if we could hear from a member of some airline check in staff.
  • rubia1409
    It doesn't happen so much any more, and if it does it's the ground staff who can up grade, not the crew.
    • elantan
    • By elantan 28th May 11, 7:14 PM
    • 19,961 Posts
    • 53,506 Thanks
    elantan
    i have been upgraded once for agreeing to take a later flight ... turned out we didnt need to but because they had asked we got upgraded ... however i am just back from florida and the airline had overbooked the flight so they were looking for volunteers ... both oh and i agreed to board a later flight ( got home 4 hours later than origonally planned) we were given two free flights to anywhere in the world that the airline fly to as long as it isnt Sydney and as long as it doesnt have a connecting flight.... we have 18 months to use our flights ... it worked out really good for us as i am 40 next year and free flights will save us a bundle ... now were thinking mumbai, dehli, shanghai or beijing we cant decide ... but it is a nice problem to have ... not bad for getting home four hours later
    Last edited by elantan; 28-05-2011 at 7:20 PM.
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
    • hopefulshell07
    • By hopefulshell07 24th Jul 11, 11:08 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 188 Thanks
    hopefulshell07
    I have just flown BA to Seattle and I booked Premium Economy in the first place and checked in online. When I got to the gate I had been upgraded to Club World free of charge without even asking! So on the return journey I asked but was told there were no free upgrades but I could pay to upgrade for $500, which after thinking about decided to do as it worked out at about 175 each way. I only wish I had known I had been upgraded at Heathrow as I could have used the lounge which I did at Seattle - very nice indeed. And the service and food on BA was fantastic, it was the first time I had ever flown with them. I would always ask now about upgrading.
  • Fleckie
    I got upgraded by Emirates from economy to business when I flew with them from Dubai to Sydney, again as many people have found it was at the gate and was a pleasant surprise. I thenfound out from the flight attendant that if you fly as a single woman on a flight from an arabic nation then you are more likely to be upgraded as part of their culture....not sure if its true, but it could be feasilble I suppose.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

415Posts Today

4,980Users online

Martin's Twitter