Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alison_B
    • By Alison_B 10th Apr 05, 7:49 AM
    • 2,096Posts
    • 1,833Thanks
    Alison_B
    Vanilla Fudge
    • 10th Apr 05, 7:49 AM
    Vanilla Fudge 10th Apr 05 at 7:49 AM
    Does anybody have a recipe for creamy vanilla fudge?

Thanks

Alison
Page 1
    • JCL
    • By JCL 10th Apr 05, 8:28 AM
    • 564 Posts
    • 1,201 Thanks
    JCL
    • 10th Apr 05, 8:28 AM
    • 10th Apr 05, 8:28 AM
    Found this one:

Vanilla Fudge

Makes 1lb

2 cups Caster sugar
    1/2 pint Evaporated milk
    4 Tablespoons Milk
    4 oz Butter
    1 Vanilla pod split
    Pinch of salt

Line an 8 x 2 inch high loaf pan with foil, extending the foil over the edges of the pan, butter the foil and then set aside.

In a saucepan combine the sugar, evaporated milk, milk, and salt.

Cook and stir over a medium heat until boiling, then lower the heat and stir for 30 minutes.

Immediately remove saucepan from heat and add the butter and vanilla pod but do not stir.

Cool mixture, without stirring, to 110 degrees (approx 45 mins)

Remove the vanilla pod and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon till fudge becomes very thick and just starts to lose its gloss (about 10 minutes total).

Spread fudge into the loaf pan and score into 1-inch squares while warm.

Top each square with the optional nuts, if desired.

When firm, use the foil to lift the fudge out of the pan and cut into squares.

Store airtight in the refrigerator.

Hope that's of use.
    MFW 2015 #41 = 20,515/20,515
    MFW 2014 #41 = 26,100/25,000
    MFW 2013 #41 = 10,000/10,000
    Original MF date = May 2036 - MF achieved on 15 June 2015
  • Allexie
    • 10th Apr 05, 8:59 AM
    • 10th Apr 05, 8:59 AM
    ULTIMATE FUDGE

using Carnation condensed milk...haven't made it in years...might just have to have another go now
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Addy
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:06 AM
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:06 AM
    Mmmmm....I've made a few batches over the past few weeks to give my sons a taste of good old fashioned sweets, and as a thanks to my mum and dad for babysitting over the school hols. This is the recipe I found on the net, and very delish it was too Think I'll make some more this afternoon, my teeth are tingling at the thought of it

http://thefoody.com/sweets/fudge.html

900g (2lb) Sugar
    225g (8oz) Unsalted Butter
    1 large tin Evaporated Milk
    Water (quarter of the volume of Evaporated Milk)
    Vanilla Essence

Place the sugar, butter, milk, water and vanilla essence into a saucepan.
    Heat gently until the is fully dissolved.
    Rapidly boil the mixture to a temperature of 114 - 118C (238 - 245F) the soft ball stage.
    Remove from the heat and allow to cool for 2 - 3 minutes, then beat rapidly with a wooden spoon until the mixture thickens and becomes rough in texture.
    Pour the mixture into a 20cm (8 inch) baking tin, lined with silicon paper.
    Allow to cool a little before marking into squares with a knife.
    Leave in a cool place to set, cut into squares and store in an airtight container.
    Last edited by Addy; 10-04-2005 at 9:18 AM.
    • Alison_B
    • By Alison_B 10th Apr 05, 9:09 AM
    • 2,096 Posts
    • 1,833 Thanks
    Alison_B
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:09 AM
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:09 AM
    Thanks for that. The Banoffee Pie looks to die for also.

Alison
  • Addy
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:12 AM
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:12 AM
    OOh, just a word of warning, if you go for the bigger quantities recipe, use your biggest saucepan (and I do mean BIG), it boils up to a massive volume!

If you don't have a big saucepan, use the lesser quantities (or if you're greedy like me, use two and then combine them once they've boiled to the required consistency and cooled a bit!!).
    • Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 10th Apr 05, 9:17 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:17 AM
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:17 AM
    Mmmm, tempted! I've got a tin of condensed milk in the cupboard but no evaporated milk.
  • Addy
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:20 AM
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:20 AM
    I quit smoking five weeks ago - fudge is my new vice, lol.

It's so moorish, daren't think of how many of the c-words are in it though
  • furrypig
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:22 AM
    • 10th Apr 05, 9:22 AM
    OH NO!!!

How could you all write down these recipes???

I am so going to have to try them now!!!

Tee hee hee
  • mink35
    Mmmmm....I've made a few batches over the past few weeks to give my sons a taste of good old fashioned sweets
    by Addy
    I used to make this a lot when I was a teenager - and peppermint creams and toffee. They are some of the easiest sweets to make and sooooo much nicer than bought ones. I think it's the love that goes into making them :rolleyes:
    Mink
  • megasaver
    The recipes sound great and I can't wait to try them out. BTW does anybody know the difference between evaporated milk and condensed milk...or is that a really silly question?
  • Addy
    The recipes sound great and I can't wait to try them out. BTW does anybody know the difference between evaporated milk and condensed milk...or is that a really silly question?
    by megasaver
    Condensed milk is quite thick, gloopy and sweetened and evaporated milk, I think is a little less thick and not sweetened.

The other answer is;

Lenny Henry likes condensed milk sandwiches but not evaporated milk sandwiches....now I'm showing my age
    • foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 31st May 05, 1:17 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    Fudge recipie please
    Hi there,

has anyone got a foolproof fudge recipie for my daughter to try out. She's just polished off some lovely homemade fudge she bought at our local street fair yesterday and wants to try making some herself. By the way she didn't share much of it.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 31st May 05, 1:41 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    There's a straight forward recipe Here you might like to try.

At the bottom of the recipe is a button you can use to convert the measurements from cups to metric.
    Last edited by squeaky; 31-05-2005 at 2:14 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • pol
    • By pol 31st May 05, 2:12 PM
    • 644 Posts
    • 1,563 Thanks
    pol
    There are some different types here

http://www.greatbritishkitchen.co.uk/search_result.asp?search=fudge
    • Murtle
    • By Murtle 31st May 05, 3:19 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    this is the one I used when growing up....

http://www.nestle.co.uk/ProductNewsAndOffers/Recipes/OldFavourites/Ultimate+Fudge.htm

simple to make, just please supervise younger children, melted sugar is EXTREMELY hot!!!!!!
    • foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 1st Jun 05, 10:14 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    we used the valnilla fudge recipie on the great british site in the end,because we had the ingredients. it's yummy, easy and we now feel really sick .possibly cos we added some chocolate to it

It turned out as good as any of the homemade ones we've bought and we're now thinking about starting up a business. but i don't think we could leave it alone long enough to sell any!!
    Thanks to those who replied
    • meadowcat
    • By meadowcat 5th Nov 05, 2:46 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    meadowcat
    Recipe for fudge
    I've been looking for a fudge recipe in the lists and I can't find one. I'm sure there must be one there. I would like to try making some for Christmas.

I've spent the last couple of hours looking at the index of recipes and I've printed lots of them out. They're fantastic and I would like to thank you all for making this such a wonderful site.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 5th Nov 05, 3:11 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Try these...

White choc fudge
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=1002597

HM sweets & fudge
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=139268

Fudge recipe please?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=59126
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • meadowcat
    • By meadowcat 5th Nov 05, 3:34 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 199 Thanks
    meadowcat
    Thank you very much squeaky. I don't know why none of those came up when I put in a search for fudge .... but ah well. Must have done something wrong.

I see one of those recipes had an ingredient " jar of marshmallow creme". What on earth is that?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,017Posts Today

7,403Users online

Martin's Twitter