Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 26th Apr 11, 8:05 PM
    • 4,164 Posts
    • 10,040 Thanks
    Seakay
    • 26th Apr 11, 8:05 PM
    • 26th Apr 11, 8:05 PM
    If you are the car owner then legally you are responsible for it and so it is your fine. Morally, it would be nice to think that your friend would want to share the expense with you, but you really can't make him do the right thing.
    The only thing that you can do is ensure that you only give lifts to real friends in the future, and point out to anyone who argues with your choice of parking spot that it is your car and your responsibility.
    Why did you leave the Pay and Display spot? Were you unwilling to pay the full fee yourself? Were you and your friend sharing petrol money so you assumed all costs were going to be split?
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 26th Apr 11, 8:10 PM
    • 36,242 Posts
    • 46,697 Thanks
    McKneff
    • 26th Apr 11, 8:10 PM
    • 26th Apr 11, 8:10 PM
    Pay it and dump your friend, it will be cheaper.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • Simon949
    • 26th Apr 11, 9:21 PM
    • 26th Apr 11, 9:21 PM
    Morally no you shouldn't have to pay it all but legally yes you do have to pay it.....friends like that you can do without especially as it was their idea to park there in the first place.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 26th Apr 11, 9:50 PM
    • 10,324 Posts
    • 37,222 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 26th Apr 11, 9:50 PM
    • 26th Apr 11, 9:50 PM
    Did you discuss splitting parking costs before setting out? Morally he should share the fine with you but if he refuses, you have to pay up.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • zipman23
    • By zipman23 26th Apr 11, 10:53 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    zipman23
    • 26th Apr 11, 10:53 PM
    • 26th Apr 11, 10:53 PM
    Like those above me, legally...yes. Morally...no!
    English by birth. GEORDIE by the grace of God.
  • TheFlyingGerbil
    • 26th Apr 11, 10:55 PM
    • 26th Apr 11, 10:55 PM
    I would say that as you got the ticket because you overslept not because there was anything wrong with the spot he picked out for you then no it is not his responsibility to pay half the fine, unless it was his fault you were late leaving.
    • chris-j
    • By chris-j 26th Apr 11, 10:56 PM
    • 335 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    chris-j
    • 26th Apr 11, 10:56 PM
    • 26th Apr 11, 10:56 PM
    Yes you should have to pay. You were willing to pay for pay and display parking but listened to your cheapskate friend and probably spent a load on fuel to drive around till you found free space.
    You need to stop being so influenced by others and do what you think is right, if friend was not willing to pay for pay and display there is no chance they would consider splitting fine.
    • jax1305
    • By jax1305 26th Apr 11, 11:00 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 123 Thanks
    jax1305
    • 26th Apr 11, 11:00 PM
    • 26th Apr 11, 11:00 PM
    If a so-called friend had behaved like this with me I would've said "yes, it's my car and I'm driving back alone" and left them to make their own way home - the train journey would've probably cost more than sharing the cost of the fine! Unfortunately, the fine is your responsibility - however the friendship isn't so dump the chump.
    Last edited by jax1305; 26-04-2011 at 11:03 PM. Reason: !!!!!!!!!!? censored? - really?
    • darkwarrior
    • By darkwarrior 26th Apr 11, 11:18 PM
    • 183 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    darkwarrior
    Get a new friend, doesn't sound like a decent one to have around at all.
  • runneratmidnight
    It is your car and you have full responsibility for it so yes you should pay the fine as you never got up in time.

I would recommend ditching the cheapskate "friend".
  • rosgrech
    Pay Up!
    I'm afraid you're going to have to pay up - this time.

Next time - dump him (he's just a hanger on) and set your alarm!

All number of lessons learnt here I think.
  • daveymcg
    If you're old enough to drive then you're old enough to take responsibility for your actions. Pay the fine and dump your "friend"!
    • Gresp
    • By Gresp 27th Apr 11, 2:06 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Gresp
    Whose fault was it you overslept?
    Free overnight parking was a perfectly sensible option. The reason you got fined is because you didn't get up in time; so, whose fault was that?

Morally, whoever's fault it was that you overslept should pay. Or if it was both of you, split it.

Legally, however, the fine is your responsibility, so you have little choice but to pay it.

And if you have any cash left, buy an alarm clock.
    • _nate
    • By _nate 27th Apr 11, 5:58 AM
    • 60 Posts
    • 39 Thanks
    _nate
    Do you need your friend to wake you up in the morning?

What if you had overslept and been late for work: would this be your friend's fault, too? Would they owe you any docked wages?

If it matters more to you when you get up than it does to your friend, take the responsibility of arranging to get up on time! Don't moan to your friend about your own failure.
  • Littlemissteapot
    Pay the fine.
    • VoucherMan
    • By VoucherMan 27th Apr 11, 6:38 AM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 5,000 Thanks
    VoucherMan
    Should I pay the fine? - yes

Should I have to pay it all? - Probably not but that depends on the arrangements made with your 'friend'

By the way how did your 'friend' manage the return journey? Walk? Bus? Train? Hitch-hike?
  • valk_scot
    Your car, your problem, sorry. Next time don't consult your passenger as to where you park. You're in charge of your car after all.

But yes, your friend isn't much of a friend, really.
    Val.
  • sc1968
    you will have to pay..but what a great friend you have there...its your own fault for moving after finding a legal space..things like petrol money and parking fees should be discussed before you agree to take someone with you..if you were happy to pay the parking then you should have stayed in the first spot...as for your friend they need to be told that you wont be doing anything with them again!
  • shawad
    Pay up - it's your car and ultimately you who chose to park on a single yellow and then failed to get up on time.

Would you expect your friend to split the fine if you'd got caught speeding, or ran a red light, or failed to pay the Congestion charge?

If they suggested parking down a dark alley and your car got nicked would you expect them to pay for 1/2 a new car?

If your friend said "Let's jump in the Thames" would you?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,916Posts Today

10,537Users online

Martin's Twitter