Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    apple_mint
    Reheating Chicken
    • 9th Apr 05, 5:15 PM
    Reheating Chicken 9th Apr 05 at 5:15 PM
    After following all the good advise on Money Saving Old Style on stretching a chicken, I have cooked my first whole chicken in the slow cooker ... and it is looking as if I'll get 4 or 5 family meals from it ... and I've got the carcass back in the slow cooker making a batch of stock.

I'm happy about using the cooked chicken in casseroles, curries etc. , but I'm not sure about how to go about re-heating a piece of the breast:confused:. I'd like to use it for a main meal (sliced breast with veg, roasties, yorkshire puddings etc.), what's the best way to go about heating it up? I've got a microwave - would it be OK to heat up in this ... and for how long?

Never had this problem before, pre MSE we would have just scoffed the lot in one meal!
Page 1
  • mink35
    • 9th Apr 05, 5:39 PM
    • 9th Apr 05, 5:39 PM
    Friend of mine works in a restaurant and they use very hot plates with very thin slices of cold chicken. by the time you've put the gravy on apparently you don't notice.

Hasten to say I've not tried this myself...
    Mink
    • moggins
    • By moggins 9th Apr 05, 6:02 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 9th Apr 05, 6:02 PM
    • 9th Apr 05, 6:02 PM
    I've zapped it in the microwave before now, as long as you cover it with clingfilm or a lid then it should come out fine as the condensation keeps it moist.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at 250
  • apple_mint
    • 9th Apr 05, 6:31 PM
    • 9th Apr 05, 6:31 PM
    Just go me thinking about the carcass, chicken soup, could be an idea.
    by Al Mac
    Chicken soup is on the list of things to do with it . Taking in soup and left overs to work has cut my lunch time expenditure to zero (in true MSE style I no-longer go to the sandwich shop).

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will try out all the recomendations over the next few times I do this. It's a sad reflection our old lifestyle that I haven't got some of the basic cookery skills (being previousl reliant on ready meals). I plan to remedy this and have a back to basics attitude now It's a lot more fun and a lot healthier.
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 9th Apr 05, 6:32 PM
    • 6,907 Posts
    • 45,105 Thanks
    Pooky
    • 9th Apr 05, 6:32 PM
    • 9th Apr 05, 6:32 PM
    I normally bung mine in a shallow dish and cover with gravy - top with tin foil and put it in to warm for about 20 mins.
  • apple_mint
    • 9th Apr 05, 6:41 PM
    • 9th Apr 05, 6:41 PM
    Thanks Pooky, that is a good idea . I could make sliced chicken in gravy.
    • moggins
    • By moggins 9th Apr 05, 7:04 PM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 9th Apr 05, 7:04 PM
    • 9th Apr 05, 7:04 PM
    I make the chicken in cheese sauce from the Paupers Cookbook, Sounds like a strange combination but tastes lovely.

• Luis
    • 9th Apr 05, 9:58 PM
    • 9th Apr 05, 9:58 PM
    When I am reusing my cooked chicken, I either heat it in the oven in a gravy to keep it moist, or lob the cold chopped chicken into the one pot dish I am cooking (eg cassoulet, curry), and make sure it heats through thoroughly.

Also, in the past, I have plated up and frozen 'spare meals', and as long as the meat has gravy on it again, it will nuke quite well.
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time)
  • Queenie
    • 10th Apr 05, 4:17 AM
    • 10th Apr 05, 4:17 AM
    Just slice the breast, serve it on the plate, pour over your hot gravy and it will be fine - there is no need to reheat it.

I used to serve our roasted meats soon after it had finished cooking (after resting it for 15mins of course) so that we would have hot meat on the plate.

However, in recent times, I've taken to cooking the meat the day before. I carve it the day of the roast dinner, by the time I've added the roast potatoes, Yorkie pud, veggies and gravy, no one actually notices if the meat is "hot" before hitting the plate or not! Plus, carving it cold is far more economical
    Last edited by Queenie; 10-04-2005 at 4:21 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • apple_mint
    Thanks Queenie. I'm serving the other breast today, and I'll carve it cold just as you described. So much easier as I want to go car-booting today
    • moggins
    • By moggins 10th Apr 05, 8:50 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    Thanks Queenie. I'm serving the other breast today, and I'll carve it cold just as you described. So much easier as I want to go car-booting today
    by apple_mint
    So did I but I am spending the day erecting a shed instead

• Mrsbojangles
    Reheating cooked chicken
    OK I am really getting into this "OS" now, we had a chicken on Monday, we would normally just use the whole chicken for one meal (gasp) but I have managed to get 2 meals from it so far and another for tonight planned, so quite pleased with myself and really glad that I joined this, you guys give me inspiration!

Anyways, I want to make a curry with this Chicken, but I have never re-heated cooked chicken before and I must admit I am a bit nervous, don't wanna poisen everyone!! Whats the best way to go about it, high heat, low heat for a long time, or slow cooker?

Advice appreciated

Thanks x
    February Grocery Challenge 250.00

Spend so far 230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
    • JimArnold
    • By JimArnold 18th Jan 06, 10:26 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    JimArnold
    The key to reheating anything is too make sure its is piping hot all the way through

Curries are good because the longer you cook em the better they are.

Persoanlly I go for an hour in the oven at 150 deg C
    TANSTAAFL !
  • scuzz
    You must ensure the chicken reaches 72oC all the way through if reheating
    • Glad
    • By Glad 18th Jan 06, 10:45 AM
    • 17,957 Posts
    • 39,913 Thanks
    Glad
    we have a chicken dinner at least once a fortnight and I always use half to make a dish the next day, either on hob or in oven, I cut the pieces fairly small and leave to simmer for at least an hour, serve as soon as possible while nice and hot
    I'm a Board Guide on the Money Savers Arms, Discussion Time, Wales, Competitions, Marriage Relationships & Families, Health and Pet Care boards. However, please do remember, board guides don't read every post. if you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    Compers please read the Comping Guide
  • Jazzycat
    I work in catering and can advise that reheating poultry is fine as long as:

1. The chicken hasn't been frozen at any stage
    2. The chicken was cooled and refrigerated within 90mins
    3. It hasn't been reheated before
    4. Reheating is done to reach 75oC for a minimum of 2 minutes

If any of the above don't comply then its safest to discard.

Hope this helps
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 18th Jan 06, 11:25 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I have some left-over chicken in the fridge that I cooked in the SC on Sunday - just one side of breast and a bit of dark meat still attached to the carcase - would it still be safe to use today or have I left it too long? I forgot about it last night and was too tired to cook anyway so we had a take-away
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• comping cat
    • By comping cat 18th Jan 06, 12:56 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    I would re heat chicken from sunday today, it would prob be the last day i would use it tho!!
    Catherine x
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 18th Jan 06, 1:20 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I would re heat chicken from sunday today, it would prob be the last day i would use it tho!!
    Catherine x
    by catowen

I've given it the "sniff test" and it seems perfectly fine so I'll use it up for dinner tonight. Not sure what yet mind, but maybe a stir fry of sorts as I have some veggies need using up too and found a half pack of noodles earlier I can add to it
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• researcher
    • By researcher 18th Jan 06, 1:50 PM
    • 1,521 Posts
    • 1,771 Thanks
    researcher
    Chicken stock
    Hey don't forget to put the bones in a pot, cover with water and simmer for 2+ hours. You've either got the basic of a lovely soup - or if you've a little bit of chicken left a risotto (with peas is lovely).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,861Posts Today

7,653Users online

Martin's Twitter