Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Mar 11, 4:15 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    April 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Mar 11, 4:15 PM
    April 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Mar 11 at 4:15 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the fourth Grocery Challenge of 2011, Spring has sprung and I'm feeling optimistic! Hopefully we'll all have a good month!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the March 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-03-2011 at 9:35 AM.
Page 21
    • CupOfChai
    • By CupOfChai 7th Apr 11, 6:37 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    CupOfChai
    Evening everyone, this thread moves far faster than I can keep up with these days so just general good wishes to all. Adding in £2.90 I spent the other day on some eggs, milk and tomatoes. Stupid expensive shop.
  • helen jelly
    hippeechiq - hugs for both of you
    Mothership - Hugs for you and yours - tough times but you seem to be coping admirably, well done
    Crazybeautiful - welcome and well done on the cooking
    Spiggle - thinking of you hun and hoping all is ok
    Muffinman - hugs and don't be embarrassed - I've been there too

New people - welcome and hi

Have updated my siggy with recent spends, I need to do a decent shop but don't have any money till Weds, oh well, we'll get by. I've had to pay the balance on our cheap hol [caravan in Cornwall for 1 week in June for £204] and had to buy loads of school uniform - both kiddies starting new schools after Easter hols as I was very unhappy with the school that they are in at the mo, also had to tax my car so any spare money we had has gone!!! Talk about robbing Paul to pay Peter, dreading the next 2 weeks as we have no money, the kids are off and they need entertaining and to get anywhere round here you need to have a car as the local transport system is carp................ and breath lol.

Off to find recipes from Rosiebens list to see what I can make for the kiddies and find recipes that they can make

Happy No Shopping everyone

Helen x

PS Angel - hope all is well with you and yours
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    lol. great stuff!! but did you get any flour?? lol.
    Originally posted by cutiepieabf
    yes i did lol bag of plain and self raising in fact

Also reporting £2.20 spend on effectively weight gaining but totally motivating naughty stuff.

Have enough in for the weekend now so i will try to be gd till monday and my shiney new weekly allowance.

Hugs to all if u need them or not
    Last edited by destroyerofdebt2011; 07-04-2011 at 8:15 PM. Reason: finally caught up on thread
    HSBC £3223.20 £2060.00
    Cap1 £1724.91 £1782.00
    OD £939.78 £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 7th Apr 11, 8:14 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    Have just had 2 NSDs in a row, but spent £12.35 on Tuesday, on stuff that I didn't really need for this month's meals, but were good bargains. Quite cross with myself - looks like the old me had a bit of a show. Still, onwards and upwards - will not go shopping if I don't need to. Total now stands at £134.37, so only £15.63 left. I'd love to say I'll be able to do it as all I need is a bit of fruit, milk and bread (although got some in freezer and could make own), but I know myself, and I won't be able to do it, I'm sure. Grrrrrrrrrr...

I do sometimes have to take myself to one side and have a stern talk with myself about feeling sorry for myself. It's not like I have any real issues at the moment, like some of you guys. Hugs, by the way, been praying for all who need help at this time.

Had spag bol from the freezer tonight. It's really nice being able to see everything in one freezer, AND for that freezer to be indoors! It was supposed to be roast pork, but that hadn't defrosted in time, so we're having it tomorrow. Already made the lunches for tom - I'm having a salad, as Friday is the only day I can sit down properly for my 1/2 hour lunch break. The other days, I have to eat lunch in the car as I have to go to the childminder, pick up my son and then drive him to school, which is incidentally where I work! On Fridays his grandparents do the run for me, so yeah!! I'm so looking forward to spending some time with my children over the hols.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • mrspauper
    Hello,

Just thought I'd let everyone know about a quick & cheap meal I cooked the other evening. 1kg of frozen squid was £4 in the fishmongers, so I made it into calamari:
    season 200g flour (I used self-raising to make the batter puffy but plain flour would have been crisper) with salt, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika. Slice the squid, toss in the flour, dip in beaten egg, fry for 1 minute in oil which is 180 degrees. I also made cheaty garlic mayonnaise: spoonful of Helmans, crushed garlic clove, juice of half a lemon. Served with a salad. Yum!
    We ate about half of it, so the next night I made a curry with 2 onions, 3 garlic cloves, grated inch of ginger, tsp each of salt, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground tumeric...fried...added a chopped chilli, bag of spinach, tinned tomatoes, tomato tin of water, new potatoes....cooked until potatoes tender...added green beans, green pepper, and leftover calamari. The curry was quite liquid so it soaked into the calamari batter and was lovely spicy-squidgy. If anyone's interested I'll type the recipes out properly with weights etc.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 8th Apr 11, 6:34 AM
    • 3,284 Posts
    • 36,146 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    £39.36 for me this week. I am generally finding it easy to keep to my slimming world menus, lose weight and keep to the budget. Oh, and A$da had the El Paso enchillada kits for £1 this week. I've bought a couple as they come in handy for unexpected visitors. Take care all of you.
  • Mothership
    The plot thickens!!!!
    Just heard that my youngest sisters daughter is not allowed to attend her gran's funeral, she's distraught! It looks like I'll need to send them both flowers. I cant understand why anyone could hurt close family members like that. The short period I knew her, she played mind games with me, she once invited a friend of hers to stay with me for two months with her 5 kids+ herself and DGD 7 people,without asking me, I had ME at the time, when I said no, she fell out with me. Next I heard was she was waiting for me to get famous and she was going to the papers to sell her story. LOL, that was it for me. It was her that dumped all her weans, I hadn't done anything. There were a lot more equally bizarre incidents. In the end I had to tell her I couldn't have anything to do with her until she forgave herself for what she'd done. Her bitterness and anger terrified the life out of me and my family.

We went to M*******s for fish and chips £8 +2 free children's meals fed four of us, a wee break from cooking.
    I'm REALLY pleased with myself, I didn't buy anything else
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • rosieben
    mrspauper I've added your calamari recipe to the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • GroinSexyPavement
    Spent £142 so far, just under half of my budget and now done half of my weekly shops for April, so generally looking ok.

It's the shopping in between the weekly shops that seem to be my problem! The end of April seems a looooong way away!
    MayGC:£118/£360 April:£283
    CrazyClothesChallenge:£117
    Piggybank:£1,850
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 8th Apr 11, 8:39 AM
    • 5,174 Posts
    • 44,340 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Darn it - spent loads recently: £5.25 on Wednesday at school on veggie hot dogs and a packet of crisps for DD, £9 (!!!!) on icecreams yesterday and £3.40 on fish and chips yesterday Oh and £3.?? on some spelt pasta and vegan pesto so that me, DD and OH can all enjoy it

We have barely any fruit and vegetables left in the house and have friends coming to stay on Sunday for a couple of days. Grrr. I have to get through the month sensibly, I don't have any option to do otherwise!

Phew! Just found some fruit in the fridge so that's okay, and will manage with the bendy carrots and courgettes til our friends get here. Not too bad after all....
    Last edited by Kittikins; 08-04-2011 at 8:56 AM.
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under £1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
  • cat_smith
    Mothership it sounds like you are better off not worrying about her. Focus on building relationships with the living. Num Num on the fish and chips.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 8th Apr 11, 9:02 AM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    £35 spend on an A$da delivery for this weeks top up. Not doing to bad with only 2 weeks to go till pay day.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 8th Apr 11, 9:07 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    tesco bread flour has went up to £1.24 this means i'm going to have to start buying loafs again because it's just to dear and my lidl never has any in

spent £18 odd last night in te$co (will check receit in abit) mil wanted me to go help her with her dtd, i shud be getting most of mine bk, tea is pork casarole (with pork and gravy leftovers from the freezer) and some free dtd roasties and a wee bit of mash and veg shud be a nice cheap tea, kids are off today so will have to find something for there lunch aswell not that were short of food

oh and i had a £4 spend of coffee yesterday my mums having a crisis so i went to talk to her and since she's being evicted i firgured i shud pay for the coffee, then the twins were grumpy so we stopped for ice cream in thorntons which was another £4 and then £1 on a loaf of bread aswell then there was £6 on buns from the bakery for oh to take into work (and 1 for me) was def not a good day yesterday

i think i need a good slap on the wrists and to make it worse i'm gonna ahve to help my mum pack and move cause she's working so my desil bills are gonna skyrocket aswell
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 8th Apr 11, 9:32 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Another £1.85 spent in Mr S, and 14p spent in the greengrocers on a couple of carrots.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 8th Apr 11, 9:46 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    I'm updating to say £42.59 of April week 1 budget has been spent - £2.41 under budget

I'm doing next week's meal plan and shopping list now - need quite a bit so should spend around £45 which is on target.

Lovely sunny day here - I may take my £2.41 underspend to the shop and buy some lollies for DS
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 8th Apr 11, 9:56 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    ITS FRIIIIIIIDDAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!! and the sun is shining!! with all the things going on in the world, it really makes you appreciate what you have in life, and that life is about the journey you take, and the decisions you make, and the way you deal with the many encounters that prop up along the way. those are the things that mould you into the person you are. it is sad when i read the stories of what you guys go through, but it is great that we have this place in common to vent ourselves, and be heard in a non-subjective view, and receive support and advice. what a fantastic place beyond any money-saving means.

on a more grocery challenge note - i have nearly run my freezer down. i have a pack of turkey steaks, a pack of pork chops and a pack of bacon left. the rest consists of home made ready meals, frozen whoopsies, batches of soup and scones, 2xbags of cooked lamb, and veg. i think i can make approx. 12 meals from this, but i dont want to completely run the freezer down, so i think i will get a few fresh bits in. i have discovered that we have a farm shop/butchers just down the road, so i am going to venture there and see what i can get. i have never been to a farm shop before. i have been to the farmers market but it is quite costly there.

hm pizzas for tea tonight with the lo ham.
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 8th Apr 11, 10:17 AM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    It's a lovely sunny day and I am going to spend the afternoon in the garden.

I have updated my signature and I think I will come in under this month. I have all the meals planned and I should only need a few things, like milk, bread and veg. I will be doing lots of baking this weekend since the boys are off school for 2 weeks.

I hope everyone has a good weekend.
    GC 2011 Feb £626.89/£450 NSD3/7 March £531.26/£450 April £495.99/£500 NSD 0/7 May £502.79/£500
    June £511.99/£480 July £311.56/£480
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 8th Apr 11, 10:21 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    NSD for me , spending my time in the garden , already washed the car , and potted on my courgettes, peas, onions and toms . going to cut the grass and tidy up the flowerbeds next , that will take a while
    I do need to get some compost though this weekend

tea will be easy , fishcakes and hm chips with mushy peas
  • 4weeladdies
    Managed a NSD yesterday Had a chinese for tea but hubby treated us as his customer gave them a tip yesterday £5 gone today on cans of diet cola & bread, MIL bought me sugar and sultanas as I'm making her a couple of fruit loaves to take to the church guild on Monday Am feeling good about how my first week is going, well under budget so far
    Feeding 2 adults and 5 piglets aged 7 months, 7, 8, 10 & 13. Thank heaven for Aldi!

January 2013 grocery challenge £169.44/£360
    • aussiemum
    • By aussiemum 8th Apr 11, 11:25 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    aussiemum
    Yay a NSD finally and I also scored 4 loaves of bread from a customer today.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,078Posts Today

7,890Users online

Martin's Twitter