Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Mar 11, 4:15 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    April 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Mar 11, 4:15 PM
    April 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Mar 11 at 4:15 PM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the fourth Grocery Challenge of 2011, Spring has sprung and I'm feeling optimistic! Hopefully we'll all have a good month!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your March budget, then keep on posting in the March 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-03-2011 at 9:35 AM.
Page 17
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    nipped in to mr Ts for some flour and walked out with some great whoopsies
    2boxes of 10 eggs for 40p each not even out of bb date till next tues
    7 cans of deoderant for 79p (for all 7 cans )
    satsumas for 49p

giggled as i walked past a lady on the self service who had at least 10 boxes of the eggs who was busy scanning her vouchers but hey im proud to be saving money i dont mind going thru a manned checkout.

so a grand spend of £3.46 and i was down to my last egg anyhows lol
    HSBC £3223.20 £2060.00
    Cap1 £1724.91 £1782.00
    OD £939.78 £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
    • shell2001
    • By shell2001 5th Apr 11, 8:35 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    Well lots of spends and lots of month left.

Done a Mr T shop, £138 - This did include shampoo, smellies, shower gel, pull-up (DD2 still needs these at night), Razor blades (£6 for 4 - so expensive). Unfortunatley none of which you can eat. I have done meal plan and I think so long as I dont get tempted I should be ok. Got dogs dried food to so another £15 gone there. The only treat I got in the Mr T order was £10 for a box of smirnoff ice. No biscuits, cakes or anything like that. Also had a couple of trips pre Mr T delivery to local coop.

So my spend to date is £187.77

I have downloaded the spendometer app to my phone and I think it will be a great help keeping on track.

Will update sig.
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 5th Apr 11, 8:44 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    theres a list in the grabits today i got chicargo town pizza, tesco roasties, aquafresh toothpaste,magnums and tissues, it does seem to mainly be branded treats and smellies instead of real food
    Originally posted by quintwins

i feel this is going to be a silly question and im very sorry but what is the grab its?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 5th Apr 11, 9:39 PM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    i feel this is going to be a silly question and im very sorry but what is the grab its?
    Originally posted by minnie2
    Not a silly question. It is a board on the forum, The Quick! Grabbit while you can board

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=36
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
  • Hippeechiq
    Thought a few of you might be interested in this, starting tomorrow 6/4, courtesy of thatguy from another board
    I've had a quick look, and it seems to be right across the board from peanut butter/nute!la - lemon curd/marmalade & honey - all jams. From brand names - value.

Spigs hun - all the very best for Thursday - you'll be in my thoughts all day
    & Rosie Congratulations on your new Grandson. How lovely for you - one of each

Thanks, by the way, to all for your kind posts on the March thread - they didn't go unnoticed or unappreciated
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • Mothership

Spigs hun - all the very best for Thursday - you'll be in my thoughts all day
    & Rosie Congratulations on your new Grandson. How lovely for you - one of each
    :
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    My thoughts exactly, thank you everyone for all your kindness, thoughts and hugs. I'm all over the place at the moment, I thought the news of my mothers death hadn't affected me, it has but in a way I didn't expect. I knew her for a short period and in that time I could feel my soul running away from her SCREAMING! She was very very angry bitter and very manipulative, she wanted unconditional love but hers was conditional. I forgave her for what she did to me, so did my half sisters , but I don't think she was ever able to forgive herself, she went to her grave still in denial and blamed everyone but herself for everything that went wrong in her life, there comes a time when everyone has to accept that the choices they make set you on your life path. She died a very lonely woman. I am sad about that, it could have been so different for her if she had just said sorry for all the bad things she did.
    I feel now I have some closure, all the bad memories have gone with her to wherever she is. And I'm keeping the good ones, yes there were some, she had a wonderful sense of humour, and there was some good in her. I saw it. You see we all felt the same, we would all have loved her anyway if only she had let us... wasted love, how sad!

Stewed sausage with carrot and onion boiled potatoes and garden peas ,for dinner, very tasty .
    Last edited by Mothership; 05-04-2011 at 11:22 PM.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
    • aussiemum
    • By aussiemum 6th Apr 11, 5:45 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    aussiemum
    Hi all,
    Well this morning was my weekly shop, intially I thought I'd done really well, got some good specials plus a few bits for our Easter long weekend away, until I got home and realised I had forgotten dog food and deoderant, so it'll be back out to the shops after work grrrr .
    So i have spent $160.84 @ the supermarket, $10.10 @ the bakery and $11 on a couple of easter eggs,
    A grand total of $181.95
  • Candy Belle

Yey!! NSD for yesterday!!
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • Tesco-shopper
    I have spent £148.51 of my £430 grocery budget this month so far, and today is only the start of day 6!

If I continued to spend at the same rate throughout the month I would spend £891.06! This looks a horrendous figure, but my freezers, fridge and cupboards are positively bulging, so I am hoping to spend a lot less over the next 3 weeks!
  • rosieben
    thanks Hippeechiq, as I just said to someone else - I've had the 'pink denim and barbie years' with dgd, now for the other side of the story

I hope things are improving for you and your dd, I've been sending lots of positive vibes your way

also thinking of Spigs and Mothership, and anyone else dealing with health or other issues

I've decided that I want to live long enough to see my new gds grow up so need to lose a serious amount of weight; I have a sainsbug delivery later this morning - trying a weekly delivery to keep me stocked up with veg and fruit; I know I'm paying extra delivery but there is no other option locally.

does anyone have any fairly simple bean recipes please? I'm off meat a bit and have assorted tinned beans from AF (canneloni, broad etc); I found a few ideas on the 5kg tin of broad beans thread but any other suggestions greatly appreciated

Last edited by rosieben; 06-11-2011 at 12:49 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • tootoo
    • By tootoo 6th Apr 11, 8:20 AM
    • 671 Posts
    • 3,044 Thanks
    tootoo
    Just updated my spends! Also have managed 3 NSD out of 5 so far!
    I'm finding this challenge and my meal plans helping already, thanks to all that post for the inspiration.
    Tootoo
    MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 6th Apr 11, 8:20 AM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Rosie, do you like sausages?

Will be a NSD for me today
    BSCno.87
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
  • rosieben
    Rosie, do you like sausages? ...
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    yes I do like sausages, tiger, any ideas please?
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 6th Apr 11, 8:38 AM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 29,765 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...on bean recipes...i use them in chilli and in soup thats about it ....both of which are nice though

im in the process of making a spanish omelette and some bread....i like making bread...very satisfying

we have sc spag bol for tea which im quite looking forward to as we haevt had pasta for a bit

hoping for a nsd...could do with one

have a great day
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • Winged one
    Well, the oven had been accidentally turned off on Monday afternoon, so the shepherd's pie was only cooked when we got home, so DD had leftovers while DH and I had SP later. So there were plenty of leftovers, so we had it again last night (and finished it). I have the potatoes, leeks and stuffing prepared for tonight (stuffed pork loin, roasted with roast pots and baby leeks wrapped in parma ham and a cheese sauce baked as well). So I will have a spare dinner (I think the meatballs one) for next week instead.

And the peas are poking their heads through properly as well - the garden is suddenly sprouting like mad since we had a bit of rain over the weekend. I will be eating salad leaves tomorrow, and radishes in a couple of weeks.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • WelshWoofer

does anyone have any fairly simple bean recipes please? I'm off meat a bit and have assorted tinned beans from AF (canneloni, broad etc); I found a few ideas on the 5kg tin of broad beans thread but any other suggestions greatly appreciated
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Now I'm no Masterchef but I did make a beany thing last night that was very nice and Slimming World friendly ....

Fry off a chopped onion, pepper and mushrooms in Frylight. Add 3 or 4 tins of assorted drained beans (I used kidney beans, cannelini, aduki and black eyed beans) and 2 tins of value chopped tomatoes. Add 1 small tin of drained sweetcorn and a good dollop of chilli powder to taste. Let this cook through for about 30 mins on a lowish heat.

If you want to bulk it out further chuck in a handful of dried pasta and cook until the pasta is soft.

Serve either on its own with grated cheese on the top, in a jacket spud or with rice.

This makes a massive pan of beany chilli but it does freeze ok and keep for days in a sealed container in the fridge - good for lunches at work where you could pop it in the microwave.

Good luck with the weightloss - I can recommend Slimming World because I have never been hungry and its very geared to eating on a budget as it relies on mostly cooking from scratch and using fresh fruit and veg, cupboard staples etc.
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 6th Apr 11, 9:00 AM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    This is a slow cooker recipe that we all love. You can double the amount of ingredients to freeze a batch or serve more. Though if you do that I find you can get away with 12 sausages. I also just bung in whatever beans I have to use up if needs be.

Sausage and bean cassoulet

8 sausages
    410g of tinned haricot beans, drained and rinsed
    800g of tinned chopped tomatoes
    1 large onion , chopped
    1 large carrot , chopped
    410g of tinned cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
    410g of tinned butter beans, drained and rinsed
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    200ml chicken stock (made double strength)
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp tomato puree
    1 tbsp dried mixed herbs
    1 tbsp plain white flour

Heat the oil in a saucepan and fry the sausages for 5-6 minutes, or until browned. Remove from the pan and set aside.

Add more oil to the pan, if necessary, and fry the onion and garlic for 3-4 minutes, or until soft. Add the carrot and fry for 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle on 1 tbsp flour and fry for 1 minute, stirring continuously. Transfer to a slow cooker.

Cut each sausage into four slices and transfer to the slow cooker. Add the (cannellini, haricot and butter) beans, stock, chopped tomatoes, tomato puree and mixed herbs and cook on high for 4-6 hours. Season to taste before serving.

We have clean plates when this is dished up.
    BSCno.87
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
  • Missus Aka
    Spends so far this month
    £147.12 between the turkish shop and tescos, the tescos shopping has earned me £56.60 in dtd vouchers that i will use to buy some duvet covers and some more food for free!!!!
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 6th Apr 11, 10:49 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    I have spent £148.51 of my £430 grocery budget this month so far, and today is only the start of day 6!

If I continued to spend at the same rate throughout the month I would spend £891.06! This looks a horrendous figure, but my freezers, fridge and cupboards are positively bulging, so I am hoping to spend a lot less over the next 3 weeks!
    Originally posted by Tesco-shopper
    i always find i spend loads in the first week of the month, i think it's cause i've started doing a monthly meal plan

Originally posted by minnie2
    sorry i should have been clearer but i see someone helped you anyway i got a £20 dtd voucher this morning from my £23 spend yesterday so i'm happy

nsd for me today chicken stew for tea made with leftover chick casarole from yesterday
    DFW £7632/£28996 26.3%
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 6th Apr 11, 11:13 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    £1.09 spent yesterday and £2.35 spent in Mr T today. Will update my signature
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

612Posts Today

5,681Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin