Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • moggins
    • By moggins 8th Apr 05, 10:30 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 8th Apr 05, 10:30 AM
    • 8th Apr 05, 10:30 AM
    Yes tey freeze well, just slice them, chuck them in a freezer bag and add straight into the dish you are cooking.

You can only use them for cooking with afterwards, they can't be used like fresh ones but as long as you don't defrost them first they come out just as good.
    Organised people are just too lazy to look for things

F U Fund currently at £250
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 8th Apr 05, 10:53 AM
    • 10,239 Posts
    • 16,854 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 8th Apr 05, 10:53 AM
    • 8th Apr 05, 10:53 AM
    Would it be better to peel or clean (whatever you would normally do) them first, as when they come out of the freezer they won't be very easy to handle?

Just a thought .
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• fazer6
    • 8th Apr 05, 11:09 AM
    • 8th Apr 05, 11:09 AM
    I just chop them up and put them in a bag, I don't do anything like wash or peel them because I'm too lazy. When you need some bash the bag if they're all frozen together and add straight to your food.
    • moggins
    • By moggins 8th Apr 05, 11:29 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    • 8th Apr 05, 11:29 AM
    • 8th Apr 05, 11:29 AM
    Unless mushrooms have been left a little long they shouldn't be peeled anyway, just wipe them over with a piece of kitchen towel to remove any stray compost.

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 8th Apr 05, 3:20 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 8th Apr 05, 3:20 PM
    • 8th Apr 05, 3:20 PM
    A bit o' muck never hurt no one

I never wash or peel mushrooms and if any have a bit of compost stuck to them I just wipe it off with a bit of kitchen roll (or my finger LOL!)
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 8th Apr 05, 5:01 PM
    • 10,239 Posts
    • 16,854 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 8th Apr 05, 5:01 PM
    • 8th Apr 05, 5:01 PM
    Blimey you are brave. I don't fancy that. For one thing you don't know who's picked them!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 8th Apr 05, 7:18 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 8th Apr 05, 7:18 PM
    • 8th Apr 05, 7:18 PM
    Err, do you lot realise what mushrooms are grown in?? I'm always careful to make sure any I use are really well cleaned. Wouldn't eat em otherwise
    • silverfoxdude
    • By silverfoxdude 8th Apr 05, 9:12 PM
    • 1,285 Posts
    • 348 Thanks
    silverfoxdude
    • 8th Apr 05, 9:12 PM
    • 8th Apr 05, 9:12 PM
    Oh I wish I'd have thought of this one, at my local Asda they were selling mushy's off for 30p down from 60 odd as their dte was nearly out, and they were fine too, tut. I didnt think they would freeze cos of the high water content or sumat, oooorrrrrr.

Thanks for the info, I'll remember it always now
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 8th Apr 05, 9:17 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I guess I'm immune to most nasties having been brought up on farms where hand washing facilities don't exist in the middle of fields, so you either starve or eat your butties with dirty hands

Mushrooms are usually grown in well-rotted horse manure, which is fairly harmless being as they're vegetarian creatures, and I've certainly had plenty of that on my hands in my time ... and eaten without washing hands!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• moggins
    • By moggins 9th Apr 05, 11:55 AM
    • 5,177 Posts
    • 10,159 Thanks
    moggins
    Most commercially grown mushrooms are grown in a sterile compost nowadays so they don't get any cross contamination with other varieties so there isn't going to be a lot you can catch from them anyway.

Washed mushrooms are far more likely to go soggy or mushy - don't wash, wipe
    Last edited by moggins; 09-04-2005 at 2:37 PM.

• furrypig
    previously I would have wasted half my mushrooms but decided to clean and chop left over raw mushrooms and have frozen them, will add to some dish!!
  • scheming_gypsy
    This might seem a bit of a dumb question, but can I freeze fresh mushrooms? I bought some on Wednesday when I did my shopping but probably won't get around to using them as quick as I'd hoped. Don't want them to go to waste so will freezing them work? I mean they won't go all brown on me or something?

Thanks!
    by youngmum

just bin 'em they're only cheap
  • jcr16
    Freezing Mushrooms (merged)
    i have a huge amount of mushrooms, got a massive box for 95p today , i love mushrooms.

now i have read the sticky and found a couple of posts about mushrooms being frozen but i have a question. i would like to freeze them uncooked so then i have options when were ready to eat them. so to freeze them raw do i simply cut them up and freeze them or is there a more complitcated method.

comments are much appreciated.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 23rd Nov 05, 8:25 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi jcr16,

I have only ever frozen cooked mushrooms, so I'm not sure whether or not they can be frozen uncooked. This website suggests that should be sauted in butter or oil first, but I'm sure that someone who has tried freezing them uncooked will come along soon.

Here are a couple of older threads that have some lovely ideas for using mushrooms:

Lots of Mushrooms. What to do with them?

24 hr mushrooms ???

Pink
  • GreenFingers
    Mushrooms…mmmmm
    Freezing them raw is ok. Wash the mushrooms in cold water, trim the end of the stalk and then pat dry with paper towels. Pop into a re-sealable bag, squeeze out the air and freeze. These should be good for up to six months.

The site below gives other methods of preserving mushrooms such as saut!ing and blanching along with other useful information.

http://www.downsizer.net/Projects/Finding_Food/Preserving_Mushrooms_-_or%2C_what_to_do_with_a_really_big_haul/

Hope this helps.
    The £2 Coin Savers Club = £346.00 (£300.00 transferred to Savings a/c)

"Some days you're a Pigeon...some days you're a Statue"
    • bltchef
    • By bltchef 24th Nov 05, 5:52 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    bltchef
    mushrooms
    hi I would lay them flat on a tray till frozen then place in a bag. If you wash mushroom they turn colour.you could put then in a food proceer and chop and freeze and use this as a base to soups and sauce i hope this of some use
  • jcr16
    well i forgot to wash them , but i did trim the stalks and have put 8 or 9 in a bag and froze them , as there quite large mushrooms. when i need to use them then i guess i'll see if it work . hehe. i didn't really wanna chop them up or saute them , as i don't know what i'll want to do with them when i need them so i wanted to keep my options open
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
  • superscotsman
    Pickle them. You won't regret it.
    • Contains Mild Peril
    • By Contains Mild Peril 28th Nov 05, 11:18 PM
    • 4,058 Posts
    • 2,830 Thanks
    Contains Mild Peril
    They can be frozen raw, but I find it impairs the flavour somewhat. They taste better if you cook stuff with them, then freeze the finished recipe. Most things will freeze well, but never try to freeze anything containing beansprouts or mayonnaise.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

135Posts Today

1,477Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Follow Martin