Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Feb 11 at 9:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2011, it's almost spring so hopefully this will be a new beginning for all of us.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Page 72
  • katholicos
    Sorry all, i've been a bit pants this month when it comes to recording my spends on groceries. I reckon i've come in under budget though. Will try harder for April.
    Grocery Challenge for October: 135/200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • sorting myself out
    • By sorting myself out 30th Mar 11, 7:02 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    sorting myself out
    Just over this Month 125.03, i'd like to go for 120 again for April please!!
    Debt free since July 2013 - Saving for a rainy day ☔️☔️☀️☀️
  • stuckdebt
    total for March is 76.10, over spent by 16.10
    Total debt Aug 2012: 3800, Nov: 3225, Dec: 3151.45 2013: Jan: 1544.24 Feb: 1492.03 Sept 2013: Debt free
  • rachelww1
    New I shouldn't have declared earlier. Got home to find we'd run out of fruit. New total for March is 320.27/250
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt 41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings 250
    2013 OP 3500
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 30th Mar 11, 8:44 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    March has gone to pot because of various reasons but i know it will be an overspend when i tally up

Can i go for 400 for April please MrsMc
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • pipersky
    • By pipersky 30th Mar 11, 8:50 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    pipersky
    Not been keeping up this month - a grabbit has been distracting me and may do for some time to come! I'm gonna stick to 220 for April (no clue what I spent in March!) and try to figure out a way to account for my spends!!!

Hope everyone else has done better
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady

A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
    • Craftyscholar
    • By Craftyscholar 30th Mar 11, 9:34 PM
    • 3,389 Posts
    • 62,310 Thanks
    Craftyscholar
    Declaring at 83.25/85 for March - I made it!

Can you put me down for 85 again for April please?

• Downsizing _for_sanity
    • By Downsizing _for_sanity 30th Mar 11, 11:58 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    Downsizing _for_sanity
    Have been keeping an eye on the Challenge this month although not strictly keeping all my receipts etc. We are pretty chuffed that due to fairly easy and common sense moneysaving we have put enough by to buy a new car! New to us that is, but still a nice little sports car. Money in the bank isn't making much even if you do shop around, so we have decided to get the car of our dreams (911) and enjoy it while we can and the kids fit in the back seat!

Another recipe for those who put them on if that's ok - Banana ice cream, for using up over-ripe bananas instead of banana cake/muffins etc!

Banana ice cream

1 cup double cream
    1 cup milk
    2 ripe bananas, mashed
    2 oz caster sugar
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla essence or half a vanilla pod

Make a quick custard with the milk and cream, beat in the egg and add vanilla and sugar. Heat on low until thickened, stirring constantly. Cool and add the mashed bananas. Freeze in an ice cream maker or in a shallow tray in the freezer, forking over to make sure no large ice crystals form.

I made this yesterday with my 4 year old, and got much respect for being able to make "ice cream - wow!" with my Aldi ice cream maker!

DFS
  • rosieben
    Downsizing, I've added your Banana Ice Cream recipe to the index
    Last edited by rosieben; 31-03-2011 at 4:40 AM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • never too old
    • By never too old 31st Mar 11, 6:06 AM
    • 2,960 Posts
    • 31,324 Thanks
    never too old
    Morning

im declaring my march total as 326, slightly over budget, but my cupboards are full,freezer full.Done lots of spaving this month so April should be good.
    2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

1993.52 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • bexs.ua
    • By bexs.ua 31st Mar 11, 8:15 AM
    • 151 Posts
    • 1,452 Thanks
    bexs.ua
    I am now going to declare a final total of 299.85!!!

This includes 0.99 for del of free veg box, and 6 on 3 chickens from the market yesterday

I am truly amazed at how little (!) I have spent, it feels like I spend much more usually! Will now try and reduce for April......
    Aiming to be debt free and saving money for once in my life!!
    • wmf
    • By wmf 31st Mar 11, 8:56 AM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 21,848 Thanks
    wmf
    Declaring at 142.89 out of 160 budget.I'm sure this is the first time I've ever succeeded with the grocery budget and i've tried for years! Still, even when I don't keep within the budget, it does make me think about what to buy and what is just frittering of money.
    Well done everyone, whether you've stayed within budget or not
    W
  • martafdz
    Sorry I have not been able to read anything as yet since the 14th of March or so. I have failed this month's challenge but not much harm done. I had too much work and that is good but was the reason I had not spent much time at home and thus I could not cook much or shop around. My fridge is rubbish so anything left there will go off in a couple of days. Even my carrots and parsnips sprout!! Idk why but it is always wet inside the fridge, I keep cleaning and drying it but I think it just does not cool enough and wets everything. It's a rented flat and the landlord has already bought a new oven and a great washing dryer because in the last 6 months both failed. The flat is not old, about 8 years, but I think we are having bad luck because we treat things well and we are careful. Anyway, I cannot ask for a fridge really and Idk what's wrong with it. It is ok with things that are protected but they all get a bit wet nevertheless

Total for March 295.16

TARGET FOR APRIL: 275
    , I am going to put it up a bit, I have the same amount of work confirmed until the end of June so I am quite happy about that. I will be able to pay off all my credit cards probably and be left just with the loan.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 31st Mar 11, 12:25 PM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    I've done my last shop of March and am pleased to declare at 201.77, which is 48.23 under budget - this is going into the 'surplus' tin with the 3.50 that's in there so far for treats later in the year (or if DH can't get a job when his ends in a few weeks I'll use it to live off)
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
  • Hippeechiq
    Declaring March at 221.99
    Last edited by Hippeechiq; 31-03-2011 at 1:59 PM.
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
  • BlimusOreilly
    Oh dear - terrible month Declaring at 247.47 this is a disastrous 67.47 over budget!!!

I know what's gone wrong though - too many 'just popping in' shops and too many branded convenience goods that I bought cos it was such a miserable month for us.

Must try harder and get more positive next month!
    DFW Nerd 941 Proud to be dealing with my debt
    August GC 0/300

• SOT2011
    Thought I might have to do a tiny top up shop before the end of today, but am now going to manage without, therefore declaring for March at 254.75/240.

Over budget for the month, but I had set myself a very tight challenge trying to drop 60 in a month. Aimed high and fell a tad short, but still proud of myself. Have set myself the same target again for Arpil and this time I really want to come in under, but time will tell...
    Debt Free since Nov 11 (ish) (except the 118000 mortgage ) as at Jan 2013 but still hanging around DFW as I need to Stay On Track.

"My dad used to say, 'You wouldn't worry so much about what people thought about you if you knew how seldom they did'." Phil McGraw
  • cleggie
    yay!!!! total for march is 192.48/220!!!!! VERY impressed with myself!!

Can i please put myself down for 190 in April please?
    Thanks!!
  • MumOf2Beasties
    nearly made it!!!
    small spend in m'sons today for orange squash and mouthwash 4.09, that's it for this month

so i'd like to declare a 220.28 march total

quite happy with this as it's only a little over (thanks to the extra trips to the shop for treats on dvd/pj days with the kids!!!!)

will update sig and pop over to april gc to put down 215 again for april and fingers crossed i'll make it under budget

well done and good luck to all other GC'ers
    1 adult, 3 children-Newborn and ages 4 & 6, 1 rabbit
    budget of 250 is for food, toiletries, nappies, wipes, cleaning/washing products and pet supplies (litter, sawdust, food)
    • looie
    • By looie 31st Mar 11, 5:46 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    looie
    Gone slightly over this month - I blame mr t lol !!

I am declaring at 104.84.

Can you put me down for my usual 100 please for April Mrs M
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

340Posts Today

4,568Users online

Martin's Twitter