Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • Lillibet
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:16 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:16 PM
    Mix with regualr unsweetend cornflakes?
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Queenie
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:18 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:18 PM
    Add to some natural yogurt for a crunchy pud/breakfast?

Crumble over stewed fruit (don't add sugar to the fruit!)

Crumble over hot custard.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • rchddap1
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:21 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:21 PM
    Or....as my partner would say....throw away the cereal and stick with the custard.

As an alternative do you know anyone that eats them....perhaps you could do a swop
  • Mrs Thrift
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:28 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:28 PM
    they are still very good for you I believe,
    by megasaver
    I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with this - as you've already said they're very, very sweet. (I've never understood how they can claim they are a "diet" food now.)

But as a treat, with some of these ideas from Queenie and Lillibet I bet they'd be lovely! (Naughty but nice, I suppose, hehe!)
  • Mrs Thrift
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:29 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:29 PM
    Or you could send them to me ........no, don't do that, I purposefully don't buy them any more because they are so sweet but I do love them.....*sob*
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 7th Apr 05, 4:43 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:43 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:43 PM
    Isn't the idea that you're supposed to eat "healthy" cereal (is there such a thing LOL!) like Special K, All-bran etc rather than Crunchy-Nut cornflakes

Of course it's never crossed my mind that this is just a marketing gimmick to up the sales of cereals
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• megasaver
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:45 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:45 PM
    Great ideas everyone! I absolutely love custard, so will be trying them on that first (what a great idea Queenie ) and I will mix them with normal cornflakes Lillibet before putting them on (now why didn't I think of that?) ..... So that's pudding sorted for this evening then, maybe with some fruit thrown in. Cant't wait to see OH's face when I suggest this hehehehehe! Probably think I have gone mad.
    • Katgoddess
    • By Katgoddess 7th Apr 05, 4:53 PM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Katgoddess
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:53 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 4:53 PM
    I love Special K, because it doesn't taste sugary to me.
    "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
  • megasaver
    Morale of the story: ignore what it says all over the box (drop a jean size in 2 weeks etc....) just read the food label more carefully in future. For every 100g
    Cruncy nut is 83g is Carbohydrates of which 34g is Sugar. So over a third is sugar and it claims to help you lose weight....sigh:confused: ) Once I have finished eating this lot won't be buying it again!
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 7th Apr 05, 4:58 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I love Special K, because it doesn't taste sugary to me.
    by Katgoddess
    Me too, as I hate anything too sweet and even if I have "normal" cornflakes I never put sugar on them ... not that I eat much cereal anyway (occasional bowl of muesli or porridge, again un-sweetened) although I did develop a craving for Special K when I was pregnant and could easily get through a box a day
    ~

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 7th Apr 05, 5:01 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Morale of the story: ignore what it says all over the box (drop a jean size in 2 weeks etc....)
    by megasaver
    Were they actually claiming that on the Crunchy-Nut cereal then?

To be honest I never paid much attention to it recently, but remember them promoting Special K a couple of years ago in the same vein, so it just goes to show that it's a Kellogs marketing gimmick
    ~

• elona
    • By elona 7th Apr 05, 6:55 PM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    elona
    They make nice crispy cakes if mixed with melted chocolate but that is hardly slimming
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 7th Apr 05, 8:39 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    Does anyone actually eat the recommended portion size on cereal packs? Its only about 30 grams. Stick with good old fashioned porridge - made with water and finished off with a dollop of golden syrup. Much more filling and I bet less calories and NO fat!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • malolo
    Does anyone actually eat the recommended portion size on cereal packs? Its only about 30 grams.
    by Sarahsaver
    I think the recommended portion size for the 'lose a dress size in two weeks' promo is 25 grams... I weighed it out once, for curiousity's sake, and it's a tiny amount!! The fact I have big cereal bowls probably doesn't help but it's no wonder people lose weight eating so little... it'd take a serious amount of will power to survive on that amount of food for two meals a day.
    • Dormouse
    • By Dormouse 8th Apr 05, 1:04 PM
    • 5,573 Posts
    • 13,301 Thanks
    Dormouse
    Yep, 30 grams is a tiny amount... For a pig like moi, anyway!

I tend to mix sweet cereals, if I have any, with Shredded Wheat, as I believe it's the 'healthiest' cereal around (correct me if I'm wrong!). This stems from the promotion when SW had money-off vouchers on the box and I bought loads and now have to use it up! Combined with the recent Sainsbury's cereal promotion, we've got boxes of the stuff in every cupboard in the house! :rolleyes:
    • buses7675
    • By buses7675 8th Apr 05, 5:13 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 2,527 Thanks
    buses7675
    Hi All,

I actually do like Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, although they are a tad sweet, a lot better than Frosties! That said, normal Corn Flakes are very nice too and I'd never put sugar on any cereal or drink ever!

In fact, we had builders at our house last year and we had to go out and buy sugar especially for them, as the builders lad had FIVE sugars in every cup of tea!

Cheers

Steve
    completed Uni in 2004 without any student debt - woohoo!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,835Posts Today

7,463Users online

Martin's Twitter