Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Jay-Jay
    How do you cook perfect rice?
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:01 AM
    How do you cook perfect rice? 7th Apr 05 at 11:01 AM
    I class myself as a fairly good cook but for some reason I've never really got on with cooking rice.

I think I last tried it about 5 years ago and it went wrong so I gave up and have since bought boil in the bag.

My Mum's given me a recipe for tandoori chicken and has mixed all the spices for me, she's also given me a pot of spice to add to the rice to turn it yellow but I really need to make 'proper rice' for this. She made it all the time when I was little and I remember her having big pans of rice covered with tea-towels....but I don't know how to do it myself without it turning into a solid clump of sticky stuff.

She's not answering her phone...:rolleyes: so I'm turning to you, my alternative family, for help
    Just run, run and keep on running!

Page 1
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 7th Apr 05, 11:19 AM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:19 AM
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:19 AM
    Here is the Perfect Rice recipe.

I had the same problem until I tried Delia Smith's recipe for perfect rice, it really works, perfectly cooked rice in 15 mins no messing.

But if you ever use brown rice, she says 40 mins I turn the heat off after 25/30 mins and leave it alone for the rest of the 40 mins and it comes out "perfect" ( 40 mins on the heat it's stuck to the pan in my experience.)
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • Mrs Thrift
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:20 AM
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:20 AM
    My Mum's always made great rice by ignoring what it says on the packet and doing what Auntie Delia says, which involves giving it a lot longer than it says on the packet. My Delia book is at home, but maybe there's instructions for it on www.deliaonline.com ?

I'm not patient enough so bung rice in the microwave, again it takes longer - the brown rice I've got in at the moment takes about 25mins, not the 10 it says on the packet!

Edited because I was beaten to it!
    • VickyA
    • By VickyA 7th Apr 05, 11:29 AM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 21,699 Thanks
    VickyA
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:29 AM
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:29 AM
    I'm cooking rice tonight, so I will try that Delia recipe. Looks really easy and I don't have to fidget with it!

Thanks Jay-jay for asking the question!
    SPC 8 #021 975.71 #9 881.44 #10 961.13 #11 782.13 declared
  • Mango
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:34 AM
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:34 AM
    I always had problems cooking rice too, until my mom saved me and gave me these instructions:

heat a little oil in the pan first (if you want to add any 'hard spices' like cloves do it at this point). make sure you have washed the rice about 4/5 times to get rid of all the starch. put the rice in the pan and stir well, if you are adding any other spices put them in at this point and stir well (i always add a couple of bay leaves and a little salt). Add cold water - if i have used 1/2 cup rice i add 1/3 cup of water, rather than double the amount of water to rice as it easier to add a little extra water if you need it later on. Bring to the boil for about 30 secs. Then turn the heat right down to the lowest it will go on your cooker, cover with lid and just leave it. It usually takes about 20 mins to 1/2 hour to cook and you end up with perfect fluffy, tasty rice!

sorry if it all sounds a bit basic but its taken me years to progress from the sticky clumps too!
  • ancasta
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:56 AM
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:56 AM
    I usually boil my rice for about 5-8 mins then drain it off in a seive/small colander. i then put about 1"-2" of water back in the pan, put the seive on top of that and bring back to the boil with a lid on top. Has a lovley steamed effect and has nice seperate grains.

I used to be a chef so i picked this tip up years ago and swear by it.
    • Austin Allegro
    • By Austin Allegro 7th Apr 05, 11:59 AM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    Austin Allegro
    • 7th Apr 05, 11:59 AM
    Our old friend vinegar is the solution.

I do my rice in the microwave in a steamer pot. Put in just enough water to cover the rice, add a splash of vinegar and nuke for 10-15 minutes. Always comes out right, not sticky or soggy.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 7th Apr 05, 11:59 AM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    for yellow rice you would need turmeric or saffron (the latter being the nicest)
    i use a rice cooker i got from argos sale last year. Its always perfect in this.
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Jay-Jay
    • 7th Apr 05, 12:06 PM
    • 7th Apr 05, 12:06 PM
    You're a clever bunch!!!!

Thanks so much, I'll give it a go and let you know how I do. For the delia one do you think I could do it without onions? I hate onions!

• nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 7th Apr 05, 1:13 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    You're a clever bunch!!!!

Thanks so much, I'll give it a go and let you know how I do. For the delia one do you think I could do it without onions? I hate onions!
    by Jay-Jay
    Yes I use the Delia "Bible" and it doesn't mention onions, I just use olive oil in a pan coat rice then add the boiling water...never fails good luck enjoy your tea
  • firrybabe
    Well, I usually wash my rice in a sieve through before I cook it.

Depending on the grain I use, I will vary the amount of water I add.

Basmati I find using 1.5 times water to the amount of rice works.

For brown rice I find 2 times water to rice works best.

I boil the water required up first and add to it a little salt and some oil, when the water is boiling I then add the rice to it, stir it once, lower the heat and cover the pan. I then let it simmer for 15-20 mins / or until the water has boiled off.
    • badgermonkey
    • By badgermonkey 7th Apr 05, 8:57 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    badgermonkey
    I always do basmati rice in the microwave in a large plastic bowl. I use a plastic Ikea tumbler to measure it and for two people I use one cup of rice and two cups of water. Then microwave it on high for 10 minutes and leave it to sit in the microwave for 10 minutes. Never fails! And I don't rinse the rice or anything.
  • Jay-Jay
    SUCCESS!!!!!

I did it

I used 5 fl oz of rice and 10 fl oz water and did as you all said!

The rice did stick to the bottom of the pan a bit so I think I need to increase my water and decrease my rice by half a fl oz but it was a success!!

OH even said that it looked PROFESSIONAL!!!!!! (that's cos I added my Mum's yelow powder stuff )

So I'm converted from boil in the bag to REAL rice....does that make me grown up?

• Bargain Rzl
    • By Bargain Rzl 7th Apr 05, 9:41 PM
    • 6,174 Posts
    • 21,392 Thanks
    Bargain Rzl
    Congratulations Jay-Jay!
  • Trying2Save
    This works for me! For 4 people - take a mug, fill with uncooked rice and tip into saucepan. Fill mug with water and put in saucepan, repeat, then half fill mug with water so you have one mug of rice 2.5 mugs of water. Bring to the boil, turn down heat on lowest setting, put lid on saucepan and leave to cook for 10/15 minutes. Do not take lid off too often as you are losing the steam. With practice you will know when its done. The rice will have absorbed all the water and you have perfect fluffy rice, I use the cheapest. for 2 people use a teacup of rice.
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 7th Apr 05, 10:10 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I see you've already had plenty of varied suggestions but I'll add my two penn'th as I actually made a pilau rice tonight to go with curry

I always use Basmati rice and wash and drain it well before use, then cook as follows:
    * Pre-heat oven to Gas 3 (sorry don't know electric equivalent)
    * Fry some finely diced onion in a couple of tablespoons of oil, along with some green cardommons, cinnamon stick and cloves, for a couple of minutes till soft (you could omit the onion as I noticed you said you don't like it)

* Add the drained rice and fry for a further minute or two.

* Add 1.5 times volume of cold water to rice (I use 2 cups of rice to 3 cups of water usually) and bring to the boil, then put lid on and leave to simmer on low for 5 minutes.

* Give gentle stir with fork so not to break rice then replace lid and simmer for 3 minutes. Repeat and cover for further 2 minutes.

* Remove from heat then sprinkle a pinch/drop of yellow and red food colouring onto rice (optional, depending whether you want to replicate an Indian take-away rice)

* Replace lid and put in oven for 15-20 minutes to finish cooking and set colours. (Time to prepare and cook curry then!)

* Stir with fork before turning out onto serving plate to distribute colours, and voila! ... the perfect pilau rice
    I know it might seem a bit of a fussy process but I can guarantee that you'll end up with perfect fluffy rice, each grain separated and none stuck to the bottom of the pan

For plain rice, I follow the same procedure, again using Basmati rice, but omit the spices and colourings. You could add any variation of spice you wanted though.

Edit: ... while on the subject of spices can I add that it's a very good idea to label all your spices if you transfer them into jars! It's all well and good hoping you'll remember/recognise them, but paprika looks an awful lot like chilli powder when in plain glass jars :rolleyes:

(let's just say my curry wasn't as hot n spicy as it should have been tonight )
    Last edited by Curry_Queen; 07-04-2005 at 10:17 PM.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 7th Apr 05, 10:39 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    SUCCESS!!!!!

I did it
    by Jay-Jay

Doesn't it feel good to master something new, well done Jay-Jay
  • filigree
    I never had any trouble cooking rice, I must be some kind of freak (or just smug).

I've discovered the best results come from basmati, the value brands work just fine.

Rinse rice in two changes of cold tap water

Boil plenty of water in pan big enough for rice to expand

Dump rice in boiling water for about 8 minutes then taste it - might need another minute or two

Rinse with boiling water

Bob's yer uncle, lovely fluffy separated grains.
  • apple_mint
    I always had problems cooking rice too, until my mom saved me and gave me these instructions:

heat a little oil in the pan first (if you want to add any 'hard spices' like cloves do it at this point). make sure you have washed the rice about 4/5 times to get rid of all the starch. put the rice in the pan and stir well, if you are adding any other spices put them in at this point and stir well (i always add a couple of bay leaves and a little salt). Add cold water - if i have used 1/2 cup rice i add 1/3 cup of water, rather than double the amount of water to rice as it easier to add a little extra water if you need it later on. Bring to the boil for about 30 secs. Then turn the heat right down to the lowest it will go on your cooker, cover with lid and just leave it. It usually takes about 20 mins to 1/2 hour to cook and you end up with perfect fluffy, tasty rice!

sorry if it all sounds a bit basic but its taken me years to progress from the sticky clumps too!
    by Mango
    Mango - your technique worked perfectly for me - I just needed to keep adding a little water - found that I needed more than you mention here, but that is probably because I couldn't get the heat so low. I hadn't realised that my rice was not perfect until I tried your technique. Perfect separate fully grains. Thanks!
  • ti1980
    Anyone got a foolproof way of making rice?
    I know I must seem to ask the most stupid questions but I really am clueless. Thanks to this section though I am learning all the time.

If I don't ask though I don't get and this has been an excellent place to get very good and helpful answers.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,175Posts Today

7,822Users online

Martin's Twitter