Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lawrence
    'Which newspaper do you buy?' poll discussion
    • 24th Mar 11, 10:14 AM
    'Which newspaper do you buy?' poll discussion 24th Mar 11 at 10:14 AM
    Poll started 24 March 2010:

Which newspaper do you buy?

So are MoneySavers broadsheet readers or tabloid? Which papers do you buy – we're talking newsprint not online (note this replaces the budget poll now the budget's done)

Pick all the papers you buy on a regular basis(for dailies a couple of times a week, for Sundays a couple of times a month - max 10)

The Sun
    The Mirror
    The Star
    The Mail
    The Independent
    i
    The Express
    The Times
    Daily Telegraph
    The Guardian
    Financial Times
    Daily Record
    The Scotsman
    Other Scottish daily
    News of the World
    Sunday Mirror
    The People
    The Independent on Sunday
    Sunday Express
    Sunday Times
    Sunday Telegraph
    The Observer
    Sunday Post
    Other Scottish Sunday
    Regional/Local Paper
    Other
    I don't buy newspapers

Please vote here, or click post reply to discuss below. Thanks

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
    • SonOfPearl
    • By SonOfPearl 24th Mar 11, 4:35 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    SonOfPearl
    • 24th Mar 11, 4:35 PM
    • 24th Mar 11, 4:35 PM
    I haven't bought a newspaper regularly for over a decade, and I very rarely buy one now. I get my news mainly from the internet (BBC website and others) and less often the TV.

I don't have time to read a daily newspaper, and I don't feel they provide anything I can't get anywhere else for free.
    • andy69
    • By andy69 24th Mar 11, 5:30 PM
    • 1,872 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    andy69
    • 24th Mar 11, 5:30 PM
    • 24th Mar 11, 5:30 PM
    NOT THE SUN! due to all the fibs and bad things they said after hillsborough!
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 24th Mar 11, 5:32 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    • 24th Mar 11, 5:32 PM
    • 24th Mar 11, 5:32 PM
    I read the Sun and the Star, both crap newspapers but I work nights and they get left in the canteen at work so I don't need to buy them.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 24th Mar 11, 5:33 PM
    • 1,461 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    • 24th Mar 11, 5:33 PM
    If I was buying it would be the Independent
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • Mrs Arcanum
    • By Mrs Arcanum 24th Mar 11, 5:33 PM
    • 20,512 Posts
    • 44,039 Thanks
    Mrs Arcanum
    Local only
    Truth always poses doubts & questions. Only lies are 100% believable, because they don't need to justify reality. - Carlos Ruiz Zafon, The Labyrinth of the Spirits
    • ariba10
    • By ariba10 24th Mar 11, 5:35 PM
    • 5,259 Posts
    • 5,782 Thanks
    ariba10
    • 24th Mar 11, 5:35 PM
    • 24th Mar 11, 5:35 PM
    Close on two years since we bought a newspaper.

Get all the information we need from TV and Internet.
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
    • stevemcol
    • By stevemcol 24th Mar 11, 7:42 PM
    • 1,650 Posts
    • 781 Thanks
    stevemcol
    • 24th Mar 11, 7:42 PM
    • 24th Mar 11, 7:42 PM
    That's a good way of weeding out all the mail readers. You could ban them from the forum or at least put a warning in their signatures!
    Apparently I'm 10 years old on MSE. Happy birthday to me...etc
    • tattycath
    • By tattycath 24th Mar 11, 7:45 PM
    • 6,820 Posts
    • 35,979 Thanks
    tattycath
    • 24th Mar 11, 7:45 PM
    • 24th Mar 11, 7:45 PM
    That's a good way of weeding out all the mail readers. You could ban them from the forum or at least put a warning in their signatures!
    Originally posted by stevemcol
    I knew we wouldn't have to wait long for the daily mail bashers to come out
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 83
    Mortgage overpayments:

Emergency savings 100/2000
    Savercard Christmas savings 10
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb - 12/9/17 160lb - 29/12/17 155lb
  • rickbonar
    funny thing about the Mail critics yet here shows quite a few do buy the paper including me and often I notice the newstands sell out of the Mail and I don't get a copy.

It is a paper that does voice the concerns of the old cliche phrase "the silent majority" of the public where the television broadcasters are very PC and biased towards certain minority groups yet espouse impartiality yet are anything but.
  • Lottie Clements
    Occasionally The Independent, sometimes The Guardian (if they've got an article I'm particularly interested in, not for general news), but most of all, The Week.
    • minerva_windsong
    • By minerva_windsong 25th Mar 11, 8:50 AM
    • 3,765 Posts
    • 8,672 Thanks
    minerva_windsong
    I read the Guardian and the Indy (lefty alert!). OH buys the Times on a Saturday, which I refuse to do on the principle of not giving Rupert Murdoch any money, so I still get the advantage of the big crossword and none of the guilt.
    "A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge." - Tyrion Lannister

Married my best friend 1st November 2014

Loose = the opposite of tight (eg "These trousers feel a little loose")
    Lose = the opposite of find/gain (eg "I'm going to lose weight this year")
    • robin banks
    • By robin banks 25th Mar 11, 10:25 AM
    • 14,758 Posts
    • 24,012 Thanks
    robin banks
    Independent or Gaurdian.

I sometimes nab a copy of the FT going when walking through the first class carriages to get to cattle class on my journey (don't feel in anyway guilty about it either).

Subscribe to the economist.
    "An arrogant and self-righteous Guardian reading tvv@t".

wtf is all that about?
  • Pandora102
    If you want a truly unbiased poll where is the Mail on Sunday in the list of sunday papers? Have read it since it was introduced (changed from S. Express)
    A brilliant read - have any of you knockers read it - or are the words in it too long ?
    • alzy
    • By alzy 25th Mar 11, 10:02 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    alzy
    I only buy newspapers if there are REALLY good bargains inside... otherwise, I can get all the news from the net nowadays...
  • Sublime
    I have the Guardian on a Saturday, and The Observer on a Sunday. I subscribe to the Economist too. I occasionally buy papers during the week.
  • whispywillow
    I dont buy newspapers, however i do have an app for the guardian on my phone, and i only read it for the Ben Goldacre articles, he's great
    6 debts down - 1 to go: just over 1000 though, soon soon....

Staying happy and positive through 2011 (hopefully!)

• tattycath
    • By tattycath 25th Mar 11, 10:16 PM
    • 6,820 Posts
    • 35,979 Thanks
    tattycath
    If you want a truly unbiased poll where is the Mail on Sunday in the list of sunday papers? Have read it since it was introduced (changed from S. Express)
    A brilliant read - have any of you knockers read it - or are the words in it too long ?
    Originally posted by Pandora102
    I read the mail on sunday too.
    Yesterday my DH bought the express-and i had to check the cover for the date because alot of it was old news from last week!!
    When i buy a daily i usually get the daily mail.
    GE 36 *MFD
    MFIT-T4 No 83
    Mortgage overpayments:

Emergency savings 100/2000
    Savercard Christmas savings 10
    12/3/17 175lb - 15/3/17 173lb - 28/6/17 167lb - 14/7/17 164lb - 12/9/17 160lb - 29/12/17 155lb
    • PaulW922
    • By PaulW922 26th Mar 11, 8:50 PM
    • 819 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    PaulW922
    I just don't like any newspapers - they all reflect their editorial team's own preferences (and prejudices), and so many continually whip up hysteria about issues over which people are uneasy. There are also continually reported as 'news' things that aren't news at all or are simply untrue. Am I'm afraid that I am one of the Daily Mail knockers referred to above - I think it is the worst offender of them all.
  • Luckyred
    I try to get the Daily Mail every day but sometimes it sells out early on. If there are none left I don't buy any of the others. I particularly like Tuesday and Fridays Mail because I love reading Richard Littlejohns articles. Sometimes he has me in hysterics!
    Saturday.... Mail and Times.
    Sunday ...none.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,365Posts Today

6,737Users online

Martin's Twitter