Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 21st Mar 11, 11:57 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Firms restrict pension choice
    • 21st Mar 11, 11:57 AM
    MSE News: Firms restrict pension choice 21st Mar 11 at 11:57 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"One in four of the UK's biggest companies no longer offer staff access to final salary pension ..."

Read the full story:
    Firms restrict pension choice

Page 1
    • molerat
    • By molerat 21st Mar 11, 12:59 PM
    • 20,881 Posts
    • 15,160 Thanks
    molerat
    • 21st Mar 11, 12:59 PM
    • 21st Mar 11, 12:59 PM
    Is this news ?
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • casper_g
    • By casper_g 21st Mar 11, 1:24 PM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    casper_g
    • 21st Mar 11, 1:24 PM
    • 21st Mar 11, 1:24 PM
    I'm absolutely astonished to learn that employees at 75% of FTSE 100 companies have access to a final salary scheme. Is that really true, or is it more complicated than this? My impression from the media was that final salary schemes were now almost exclusively the preserve of the "soft" public sector....
  • Old Slaphead
    • 21st Mar 11, 1:52 PM
    • 21st Mar 11, 1:52 PM
    I'm absolutely astonished to learn that employees at 75% of FTSE 100 companies have access to a final salary scheme. Is that really true, or is it more complicated than this? My impression from the media was that final salary schemes were now almost exclusively the preserve of the "soft" public sector....
    Originally posted by casper_g
    Sounds rubbish dunnit?

Allegedly only 16% of private sector have FS schemes and only 3 out of FTSE 100 offer them to new employees
    • hugheskevi
    • By hugheskevi 21st Mar 11, 2:12 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 3,023 Thanks
    hugheskevi
    • 21st Mar 11, 2:12 PM
    • 21st Mar 11, 2:12 PM
    I'm absolutely astonished to learn that employees at 75% of FTSE 100 companies have access to a final salary scheme. Is that really true, or is it more complicated than this?
    The 75% includes all those which have schemes which closed to new members - often several years ago - but which allowed existing members to continue accruing DB benefits. Hence you may well have a very small proportion of the workforce in the DB scheme.

My impression from the media was that final salary schemes were now almost exclusively the preserve of the "soft" public sector....
    About 5m members actively accruing benefits in public sector, about 2.4m in private sector. Of that 2.4m about 1.5m are in schemes closed to new members.
  • Stargazer57
    • 21st Mar 11, 3:07 PM
    • 21st Mar 11, 3:07 PM
    Sounds rubbish dunnit?

Allegedly only 16% of private sector have FS schemes and only 3 out of FTSE 100 offer them to new employees
    Originally posted by Old Slaphead
    The MSE data is correct but you would understand it better if you read the Towers Watson press release: http://www.towerswatson.com/united-kingdom/press/4072 rather than the Press Association garbage that MSE has reproduced in its entirety just to show what poor journalists they are.

A quarter of FTSE100 companies have closed their DB schemes to future accrual. This fraction has risen from 15% last year. Most FTSE100 companies have a closed DB scheme and offer DC to new entrants. Just 10% offer some sort of DB scheme to new entrants.

Can I have a job?
    • Print Screen
    • By Print Screen 22nd Mar 11, 6:24 AM
    • 330 Posts
    • 195 Thanks
    Print Screen
    • 22nd Mar 11, 6:24 AM
    • 22nd Mar 11, 6:24 AM
    Doesn't make much difference to me, by the time I retire the retirement age will be 90 so I only have to save up for a coffin. Also I cannot afford any private pension contributions at the moment, like a lot of people, even through my company does offer it.
    If freedom is outlawed, only outlaws will have freedom.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 22nd Mar 11, 8:30 AM
    • 98,597 Posts
    • 67,020 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 22nd Mar 11, 8:30 AM
    • 22nd Mar 11, 8:30 AM
    Doesn't make much difference to me, by the time I retire the retirement age will be 90 so I only have to save up for a coffin. Also I cannot afford any private pension contributions at the moment, like a lot of people, even through my company does offer it.
    Originally posted by Print Screen
    Someone in their 20s can get away with paying a very small amount. Especially if they index link it and the company match contributions.

The longer you leave it the more expensive it becomes. Eventually you get to the point where you will have to be resigned to the fact you will be living in poverty in retirement.

You dont say how old you are but your comments suggest very young. So, don't be afraid to start a very small indexed contribution now. Just 50 from someone in their low 20s can result in 10k a year income (in todays terms) in retirement. Every 7 years delay will see you need to double the figure of the previous 7 years to make up for that delay (in real terms).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Loughton Monkey
    • By Loughton Monkey 22nd Mar 11, 9:09 AM
    • 8,706 Posts
    • 12,428 Thanks
    Loughton Monkey
    • 22nd Mar 11, 9:09 AM
    • 22nd Mar 11, 9:09 AM
    Also I cannot afford any private pension contributions at the moment, like a lot of people, even through my company does offer it.
    Originally posted by Print Screen
    This is a common cry.

You can start preparing the inscription on your coffin - along with many others: "He lived his last 30 years in poverty because he was too mean to save money for retirement."

There are basically only two scenarios:

1. You earn minimum wage. You continue to earn minimum wage for the rest of your life.

In this case, then your state pension [hopefully 140 a week in today's terms as being promised] will represent a reasonable proportion of the income you were used to. Hence you will live 'at the bottom of the pile' throughout working life and retirement as well.

2. You earn more than minimum wage, and will continue to gain promotions, pay rises, and possibly move jobs in later life to earn a 'decent' wage.

In this case, there is no such things as 'cannot afford'. If you are saying you cannot live on anything less than your full salary, that's a lie, because we could point to millions who do. What you are saying is that you choose to spend all your salary. There is no "afford" about it since it doesn't "cost" a penny. Pensions are simply taking your money and delaying the expenditure of it. In the meantime, it grows - alongside all the other money thrown in by HMRC and your employer.

And rather perversely, because of the growth, the cheapest provisions are those you make early in life. It gets almost exponentially higher, as you go through working life, to provide the same income at, say, age 65.

A public sector worker [or private company with FS scheme] might earn 25K. He lives his lifestyle accordingly. He has no choice. In reality, he earns [say] 31K, but is forced to have 6K going into the FS pension provision. This person will have a good retirement.

Next door, there is a person (probably like you) who earns 31K and instead of the brainlessly obvious of investing 6K for retirement, chooses to live a lifestyle costing 31K. There is total 'freedom' to do so. But with that freedom comes the obligation to blame only oneself in retirement. Nobody else need feel any sympathy whatsoever.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

172Posts Today

2,403Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin