Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Feb 11 at 9:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2011, it's almost spring so hopefully this will be a new beginning for all of us.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Page 50
  • M0neysav3r
    What should I be expecting to spend for 2 of us plus the dog? (I don't include toiletries, but do include household cleaning bits, dog food and alcohol).
    Originally posted by GroinSexyPavement
    I would say work out how much you would have spent before the grocery challenge (I just used my bank statement and added up all those supermarket spends!!) and knock a bit off to what you think would be realistic. My budget is for 2 adults, 1 child, 2 cats, 1 dog and includes all food, cleaning things, toilettries, alcohol etc. This is my first month and I don't think i've done too bad (pervious months were 350!) My mistake was not working out how much to spend per week and then seeing how many weeks in the month, so as this is a 5 week month I only have 1 week on allowance left so hoping I have enough in the freezer for that week
    I now mealplan, make my own bread, biscuits and cakes and cook from scratch, and wherever I can I buy 'value/basic' ranges. DH and I both like a bottle of wine or 7 so that is where we have struggled this month I am however, still proud of our achievements for our first month.
    Good luck to you
    No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible
    GC - March 143.82 / 200 Feb 156.03 / 150 Oops! Jan 180.78/200
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 18th Mar 11, 9:22 AM
    • 4,320 Posts
    • 29,747 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hi...im off to costco in a bit so hoping to stock up the empty cupboards.....maybe meat for the freezer as well

i went to lidl yesterday and thought itwas great...will go again i spent 20 and seemed to get a alot...i chose a selection of meat so will report back when we have tried it.....i also got some lovely fresh looking fruit and veg

have a great day
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 18th Mar 11, 9:41 AM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    I'm off to tsco soon for some more Alta Rica coffee. Might as well stock up while I'm getting some money back via the price check thing. Are there any other really good deals that I should be getting whilst I'm there? I notice the Banrock wine has come down to 5.49 so I'll give that one a miss!

I'm really going to have to be good as I've only pennies left until the 28th

Might tackle a fritata for dinner tonight. Never made one but I have what I think are most of the ingredients in, might get some fresh veg while I'm out.

I'm off out for a long walk in the sunshine to blow off the cobwebs, and mainly to stay awake after my 13 hour nightshift that I'm not used to.

Have a good day everyone

My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 18th Mar 11, 10:00 AM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    I'm off to tsco soon for some more Alta Rica coffee. Might as well stock up while I'm getting some money back via the price check thing. Are there any other really good deals that I should be getting whilst I'm there? I notice the Banrock wine has come down to 5.49 so I'll give that one a miss!

I'm really going to have to be good as I've only pennies left until the 28th

Might tackle a fritata for dinner tonight. Never made one but I have what I think are most of the ingredients in, might get some fresh veg while I'm out.

I'm off out for a long walk in the sunshine to blow off the cobwebs, and mainly to stay awake after my 13 hour nightshift that I'm not used to.

Have a good day everyone

Originally posted by CherryPie
    cornetto engima 4 packs- 2.50 in te$co but 1 in a$da so you get 3 back

seriously strong cheese is still on

vanish extra higene is still on aswell i think it's 8.32 or something but 4 in asda

comfort exherlirations strawberry and lily kiss small bottle is something like 2.20 but 1 in asda

ainsley cup a soup, wild mushroom or chicken and leek is 1.08 but 50p in asda so you get back 1.16

mullerlight 6 packs are all on aswell at 2.98 but 1.50 in asda

should be a nsd for me today, my meal plan says pizza for tea but i was suppose to make the sauce yesterday and didn't, so i think i'll do chips beans and nuggets

oh B/E chicken dippers 42 pack is 3.98 in tesco or 3 in asda so work out at 2 per bag
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 18th Mar 11, 10:47 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    spent 6.26 in A!di got 4 of the super 6 plus some other bits and bobs

29.16 in sainsbugs and
    19.44 in t3sco they still have the lurp@k offer so bought 4
    total now at 280.11 with 2 weeks to go

i do wish the Sm would actually have the offers on that 'my supermarket' says they do - i often find when i go into the shop ,some of the things arnt on offer and it blows my budgeting
  • mfwin2019
    Just updating - 144.81/185 spent so far. Need to get a few bits (milk, fruit, veg etc) later but should last the rest of the month on 40 & use up a few freezer bits.
    mfwin2019
    MFiT2 no 184
    Starting at 181,869Target is 150,000 achieved 147,772
    MFiT3 no 20
    Start 147,772 - 96924 July 2015 target 90'000
    • prophecy_grrl
    • By prophecy_grrl 18th Mar 11, 11:06 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 3,379 Thanks
    prophecy_grrl
    Updating:

This week I've spent 30.76 of my 50 weekly budget so have 19.24 left I will probably need milk before my weekly shop on Monday but that'll only be a quid or two.

I've done LOADS of batch cooking today - made enough cottage pie filling for at least 3 pies (each serving DH and I for one meal plus leftovers for one of us lunch the following day); swede mash to top one pie and potato mash for the other two; floppy veg soup with broken spaghetti in to s-t-r-e-t-c-h it (enough for 3-4 work lunches).

I've inventoried the freezer and have 2 servings of bolognese, 2 servings of chilli, one serving of veg pasta sauce, one corned beef stew and one parsnip soup, as well as enough meat to last us till the April budget (I hope).

I think the thought of my grocery budget surplus going towards a 'rainy day' fund is spurring me on

Have a nice weekend all xxx
    *** PROPHECY_GRRL***
    *** DEBT FREE AS OF 17/10/11 - I DID IT!!! ***
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 18th Mar 11, 11:30 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 20,252 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    It's going to be an NSD for me today, as I'm definitely not going to go anywhere I have to spend money! I bought some nice rump steak yesterday (part of Mr T's get 3 packs for a tenner) and I'll make that into a stroganoff for tonight's tea with some rice - yum yum. I've got to start finding things to do in my lunch hour rather than popping to the shops for a look about. I keep "intending" just to have a look at the whoopsies, but always come away with more than that. No willpower to speak of!

Have a good day, everyone.

KB xx

• NickJW
    • By NickJW 18th Mar 11, 11:38 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    1 spent today in the corner shop, for things for lunch.

I also need to go to Mr T tonight because I forgot to get things out of the freezer for tonight.

This just really isn't my month!
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • Hippeechiq
    I am quite excited because I only have 8 days to go and cannot think of anything that I might need before ( with the exception of milk posibly). Could March be the month that Long Tall Sally FINALLY achieves her target?!
    Originally posted by Long tall sally
    I'm rooting for you!
    Mind you, Hippeechiq - I agree those Lidl offers do look inviting, particularly the chicken! Resist, resist!
    Originally posted by Long tall sally
    Not sure if that's aimed at me or you - but I've already succumbed Despite having enough meat to cover my meal plan until the end of the month......got 2 packs of Gammon Steaks & 2 packs Bacon yesterday, and now I'm debating whether or not to get 3 Packs of the Chicken Breast Fillets tomorrow

The thing is - I could do with the money I have left from my meat budget to go towards the last (5th) week of the month as it's going to be extremely tight/bordering on impossible for me if I don't. And I do have enough chicken to last me the rest of the month, but, it's a very, very, very good offer <sigh>

Oh s0d it! I can't pass up 575g of Chicken Breast at 1.99!! - that's just false economy. Week 5 will just have to take it's chances

My spends yesterday bring my total to 102.84, and I have an A$da delivery of roughly 67 coming on Sunday, but will update my figure when it gets here. I had 67.29 available to me and my order came to 67.11 mind you, it involved a lot of tweaking to get it to that, and if any of the rollbacks have rolled forwards, A$da can have them back!!

Chalking another NSD up today.
    Last edited by Hippeechiq; 18-03-2011 at 12:55 PM.
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
    • debtfreewannabe321
    • By debtfreewannabe321 18th Mar 11, 1:02 PM
    • 6,623 Posts
    • 22,333 Thanks
    debtfreewannabe321
    Need to add 13.54 on a top up shop ..am failing miserably this month lol will update my sig to reflect this!
    2015 Goals:-#1 419.26/1000 (Emergency..target #1) 41.93% , #2- 14,010.70/15,000 (new house) 93.4% #3 395.07/1000 (Rental house fund target #1) 39.5% .
    Aim High!
    Debt-Free in 2013. Saving for a better future
    • boysma
    • By boysma 18th Mar 11, 1:02 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 12,862 Thanks
    boysma
    Well i have spent the following the past few days:

Mr T 3.56
    M & S 4.00
    Mr S 2.00
    L*dl 43.24

Making a total of 52.80. Added to my total now takes me over my budget again Am I setting my target too low perhaps? This is for me, DH, 2 DSs (aged 23 and 13) and a cat. It inlcudes cleaning items, toiletries and alcohol. I have also been shopping more in L*dl than I would have previously and always mean plan so dont see how I can get it much cheaper.

I still have to go until 28th March too so will need to add at least another 20 quid on top of that. I have shopped around as the reason I went to Mr S was for potato waffles (which my son has for breakfast every morning) as they were 46p cheaper than Mr T.

HELP PLEASE
    Payment A Day 15 (started 17/5/14)
  • GroinSexyPavement
    Thanks sunnyday and M0neysav3r - it's really interesting to find out what other people spend.

Looks like I have quite some way to go yet though! Don't know how you all spend so little, but I'm looking forward to learning.
    MayGC:118/360 April:283
    CrazyClothesChallenge:117
    Piggybank:1,850
    • slbhill
    • By slbhill 18th Mar 11, 1:21 PM
    • 5,204 Posts
    • 362,941 Thanks
    slbhill
    Tesc0 last night for my weekly shop, but after buying lots in one go to take advantage of the "double the difference" offer it was only really a top-up shop (11.51). It helped that I arrived just after the whoopsie fairy and got a bag of clementines for 60p, 4 plums for 10p and 2 packs of lamb steaks for 1.20 each

I shouldn't have got the plums really as I haven't a clue what to do with them . I realise they can just be eaten as they are but I'm not actually that keen - but at 10p I thought I could experiment with a recipe or 2. Any suggestions for recipes using plums?? Or are they one of those things that doesn't really cook? They're a kind of yellowy colour, not purple, if that makes any difference!

Because of vouchers, dates, timings and other complicated things (my brain hurts) I am hoping to come in well under budget this month - it's looking good so far. Next month won't be but them's the breaks
  • helen jelly
    Boysma - my 2 penny worth is this - you have 3 males who, I assume, are "good" eaters, if you include all your SM shopping - toiletries, cleaning etc then maybe you should just track what you are spending this month and revisit your total next month if needed, and, we have a 5 week month in March so the pennies have to go even further
    HTH - sorry its not much but we all shop differently and include different things in our totals so its hard to give an exact answer ie I now don't include alchohol in my total as it got me all confudled lol

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • Sparklyfairy
    • By Sparklyfairy 18th Mar 11, 1:29 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Sparklyfairy
    Hi everyone! How all are well & looking forward to a nice weekend.....

Boysma - I was like you - getting really disparaged as I was going over my budget (in my MIND I thought I spent 175/month, but realistically it's 200 for us..) If you pop it up a little (say 5 or so) and see how you go from there. Good luck!

Ok, I went to Ald! yesterday & spent 20...(which inc 2 bottles of vino & 2 lots of door hook things that really shouldn't be included - but it's too much of a faff to seperate it!). I still have just under 40 to last me & I think I'll be able to do it with no probs...
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 18th Mar 11, 1:42 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    cornetto engima 4 packs- 2.50 in te$co but 1 in a$da so you get 3 back

seriously strong cheese is still on

vanish extra higene is still on aswell i think it's 8.32 or something but 4 in asda

comfort exherlirations strawberry and lily kiss small bottle is something like 2.20 but 1 in asda

ainsley cup a soup, wild mushroom or chicken and leek is 1.08 but 50p in asda so you get back 1.16

mullerlight 6 packs are all on aswell at 2.98 but 1.50 in asda
    Originally posted by quintwins
    Thanks for that. I'll defo buy the cheese, comfort & mullers. Might even manage to convince myself I need the cornettos!

now I'm debating whether or not to get 3 Packs of the Chicken Breast Fillets tomorrow

Oh s0d it! I can't pass up 575g of Chicken Breast at 1.99!! - that's just false economy. Week 5 will just have to take it's chances
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    You're right about the false economy bit. I was trying to stay in budget this month. (There's a first for everything!) But why shouldn't I stock up on things I already buy when I'll get money back for them. I know I'm lucky that I can find some spare cash to allow me to do this, not always the case though.

So, I will not beat myself up over the fact I will go over budget, but will console myself that this scheme must be costing Tsco a fortune!!

My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 18th Mar 11, 1:50 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    what chicken fillets? just saw it's lidl, lidl over here don't do as deals her as they seem to do for you lot, they do have pork chops on tomorrow tho, but i have some in my freezer from last time

i'm way over budget now, but i have loads of food in my house, lots of yummy treats and loads of pepsi so my thinking is i'll just keep stocking up on stuff i can use/have room for til they stop the offer, at that point my shopping will greatly drop for a month or 2 so i'll be quids in

oh and baileys 1 litre in 19.19 per bottle but 10 asda so 81p a bottle , and the comfort is lovely i've just hung my washing out and it smells lovely
    Last edited by quintwins; 18-03-2011 at 1:57 PM.
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
    • boysma
    • By boysma 18th Mar 11, 2:31 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 12,862 Thanks
    boysma
    Thanks Helen and Sparklyfairy for your replies.

Yes they are all good eaters and DH has a really sweet tooth (unlike me) though I usually buy chocolate and biscuits from HB or whatever is on offer in sm.

Mind you hadnt really twigged that it was a five week month so I suppose that wont have helped. I will be shopping more in L*dl and meal planning from whatever their offers are as I tend to do it a**e about face and plan what I want to eat then shop for ingredients.

Hopefully I will do better next month. Right off to read up on all your recipes for some inspiration.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by boysma; 18-03-2011 at 2:34 PM.
    Payment A Day 15 (started 17/5/14)
  • helen jelly
    Ohhhh just made Coconut Balls to use up a pack that was going out of date and the bonus is............. kiddies don't like coconut so its just me and DH that need to scoff err delicately munch on them - yeah!!!

Recipe for Coconut Balls

180gr Sugar [I used Castor]
    2 Eggs
    250gr Desicated Coconut

Beat the eggs and sugar together, add the Coconut and mix all together
    Shape into balls [about the size of a Golfball]
    Place onto a greased baking tray
    Cook in the oven 160.C for 10-15mins
    They are ready when they are golden brown

I have a fan oven and used 160.C for 13mins
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,151Posts Today

8,121Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• RT @justinbones: Just looking at how the bad weather may be impacting business and the economy. Thankfully someone has already looked at th?

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @EmmaBarnett from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin