Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • ClaireBetteridge
    • 22nd Mar 11, 9:00 PM
    • 22nd Mar 11, 9:00 PM
    is the only reason you asked her for them is to sell them on?

if they genuinely are for you to use then no, she did what you asked of her, its not her fault they arent genuine uggs.
    Married in 2011. buying bought our first house 2014
  • Domino9
    • 22nd Mar 11, 9:06 PM
    • 22nd Mar 11, 9:06 PM
    Of course you should pay her for them. She bought them in good faith for you, and was doing you a favor! (if she'd known they were fakes, then it would be different, and you shouldn't pay, as then she would have purposefully not bought you what you wanted)

Also, I am guessing that she would be out of pocket if you didn't give her what they cost? If you don't I can't see her doing you any favors again.

Perhapse take the lesson that you should buy your own in future (or explain to her how to tell reals from fakes)
    A Mortgage wannabe! 😄
    • leeroyb
    • By leeroyb 22nd Mar 11, 9:46 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    leeroyb
    • 22nd Mar 11, 9:46 PM
    • 22nd Mar 11, 9:46 PM
    You should pay her for the embarassment of having to buy Uggs, then you should burn them and get a better sense of taste
    • Chipmunk_Blue
    • By Chipmunk_Blue 22nd Mar 11, 10:26 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Chipmunk_Blue
    • 22nd Mar 11, 10:26 PM
    • 22nd Mar 11, 10:26 PM
    In Australia the word Ugg stands for unisex sheepskin boots and is no longer protected by a trademark. So your sister bought you ugg boots but they may not be "Ugg Australia" brand ugg boots like you find in the UK or USA. But they are still the geninue thing... Take the label off and no one will know the difference!
    (check wiki for further info about why there is no brand called "Ugg Australia" in Australia)
    Last edited by Chipmunk_Blue; 22-03-2011 at 10:32 PM.
    • rcherryuk
    • By rcherryuk 22nd Mar 11, 10:59 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    rcherryuk
    • 22nd Mar 11, 10:59 PM
    • 22nd Mar 11, 10:59 PM
    Describe 'Fake'?

In Australia it has been ruled that Ugg is a generic term for sheepskin boots. So she may have been into a shop and asked for Ugg Boots and been sold non 'UGG Australia' branded items in good faith.

So, unless you specifically stated 'made by Ugg Australia' then yes, you must pay as she did as you asked!

Rob
  • BognorBoy
    • 22nd Mar 11, 11:03 PM
    • 22nd Mar 11, 11:03 PM
    Chalk it up to experience.

It is unfortunate but asking your sister for the money back would put your sister out of pocket.

If it was obvious that they were fakes then dont ask her to get stuff like that for you in future. If it was not obvious then like I said, unfortunate but chalk it up to experience.
    Total Debt - 1st Jan 2010 - 23,450
    Total Debt - 1st Jan 2011 - 19,390
    Total Debt - 1st Jan 2012 - 16,113
    Total Debt - 1st Jan 2013 - ???

• Aldahbra
    • By Aldahbra 23rd Mar 11, 12:41 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    Aldahbra
    • 23rd Mar 11, 12:41 AM
    • 23rd Mar 11, 12:41 AM
    I know you are disappointed but take a step back.

Imagine if you had spent 90 on something for your sister, because she asked you to. You went out of your way to get it, did the best you could and then she didn't pay up. How would you feel?

It is a shame it has cost you so much money but this one you will just have to accept.
    • telsco
    • By telsco 23rd Mar 11, 2:13 AM
    • 101 Posts
    • 429 Thanks
    telsco
    • 23rd Mar 11, 2:13 AM
    • 23rd Mar 11, 2:13 AM
    Not only should you pay her the 90 for her innocent mistake, you should give her an extra few quid for spending part of her precious holiday time to go shopping for the boots, carrying the damn things all the way from Oz and using up her very limited baggage allowance!
    • neilpost
    • By neilpost 23rd Mar 11, 7:11 AM
    • 53 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    neilpost
    How did she pay ? Card ?

She might have a consummer credit claim if the total transaction was over 100, or on the VISA Chargeback scheme if not

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/visa-debit-chargeback/

Shame on you for wanting Ugg boots, as they are bloody hideous, and a rip-off. Are you a celebrity following sheep ?
  • jinky67
    My question would be why anyone want the hideous things in the first place?
    Once a Flylady, always a Flylady
    • kneelbeforezod
    • By kneelbeforezod 23rd Mar 11, 7:57 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    kneelbeforezod
    How did she pay ? Card ?

She might have a consummer credit claim if the total transaction was over 100, or on the VISA Chargeback scheme if not
    Originally posted by neilpost
    Why? Are they faulty? If they are merely generic boots bought from a reputable retailer then there's no comeback. OP should just suck it up and chalk it down to experience.
  • herbie__53
    Yes you should pay her. As you say - she didn't know they were fake, it's not her fault. Think how you'd feel if it was the other way around.
  • Rickaaayo
    UGGS purchased in Australia look different to US / UK UGGS - the label on the back being the noticeable difference. It's sounds like your sister has paid for 'real' UGGS, but just look slightly different, because they are from Australia ...
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 23rd Mar 11, 8:41 AM
    • 719 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    Aren't these "fake" UGG boots more authentic than UGG Australia which effectively stole the term?

I'd be happy to be getting real authentic boots than the mass produced crap produced by UGG Australia (which funnily enough is an American company and has nothing to do with Australia).
    • nhampson
    • By nhampson 23rd Mar 11, 9:08 AM
    • 123 Posts
    • 420 Thanks
    nhampson
    Put it down to experience
    The only way to guarantee what you are buying is to buy it yourself. Your sister acted in good faith on what she believed to be your instructions.

If they were the right item but didnt fit although she bought the size you asked would you ask her for the money back?

If you were looking to sell them on would you have given your sister the profit? She would have been the one traipsing round the shops, carrying them about and trying to fit them in her luggage.

Your fault, your error, your loss. Your lesson learnt!
    • Any
    • By Any 23rd Mar 11, 9:16 AM
    • 7,580 Posts
    • 8,012 Thanks
    Any
    I cannot believe someone is even thinking like that... asks people for favour and when it is not done to your liking they end up paying?

I wouldn't get you anything next time I went, if you begged me on your knees.
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 23rd Mar 11, 9:21 AM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    you should pay for them as you asked for them
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • JoannaS
    Tough luck
    I don't want to sound mean but again this isn't really what I would consider a dilemma!

She bought them for you as you asked, you didn't tell her to be extra careful regarding fake boots, you just asked her to buy you a pair of Uggs which she did.

I mean why you would want a pair is beyond me anyway, the clue is in the name...they are UGGLY!!!!

Also if you just wanted them to sell them on then that serves you right really! Just wear them and get on with it and learn from your mistake!

Next 'dilemma' please......
    Debt owed 4000, Saved (to pay back) 300, only 3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other!
    • minicooper272
    • By minicooper272 23rd Mar 11, 10:08 AM
    • 2,127 Posts
    • 16,678 Thanks
    minicooper272
    I was reading the comments about UGG in Australia being a generic term for sheepskin boots so I went and wiki'd it and these guys are right, UGG isn't a brand in Australia or New Zealand, it's a generic term for any kind of boots made of sheepskin with a fleece interior. Explains why they're supposedly much cheaper, but it looks like it's your mistake and not your sisters, in which case you need to foot the bill.

p.s. i was originally going to suggest you guys split the cost but it's unfair if you gave her bad guidance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

29Posts Today

3,801Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin