Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pooky
    • By Pooky 6th Apr 05, 2:49 PM
    • 6,907Posts
    • 45,104Thanks
    Pooky
    Satsuma Overload
    • 6th Apr 05, 2:49 PM
    Satsuma Overload 6th Apr 05 at 2:49 PM
    Any bright ideas for 3lb of satsuma's that are just on the turn???

Thought I was being really good at the weekend getting so much fruit from the market but most of it has started to turn really quickly...the apples, pears and plums I can stew up and freeze but really not sure what to do with the satsumas...........I can bung some in a jelly but any other ideas?????

Even the parrots not intersted - normally manage to palm fruit off on him but satsuma's just aren't his thing!
Page 1
  • Allexie
    • 6th Apr 05, 2:57 PM
    • 6th Apr 05, 2:57 PM
    If they are a bit past eating you could do this...

(found on Google)

Preserved Orange Slices

Slice the oranges about 1/4 inch thick. Put two layers of paper towels in a microwaveable dish. Place the slices of two oranges, one at a time, on top of the paper towels. Bake the orange slices in a microwave oven on HIGH for about 6 to 0 minutes, until the slices turn very bright yellow. When you remove the orange slices, they will be sticky and spongy to the touch, and the paper towels will be saturated. Place the orange slices in a preheated oven on the lowest possible temperature, and bake about 45 minutes.

After orange slices are removed from oven, toss with orris root powder and orange essential oil.

These are great to use in dry potpourri!

(but what on earth is orris root powder? :confused: )
    ♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Allexie
    • 6th Apr 05, 3:00 PM
    • 6th Apr 05, 3:00 PM
    Or....

Satsuma Marmalade

18 Satsumas (tangerines or clementines)
    6 lemons
    5 pints of water
    3 lbs of sugar
    Method.
    Half fruit and squeeze out the juice
    Remove the central membrane from both fruits and put this in a small basin with half a pint of water.
    Shred the satsuma peel very very finely.
    Pare the rind from the lemon with a potato peeler and shred this also.
    Put the pith from the lemon with pips in the small basin.
    Put the fruit juice, shredded peel and remaining water in a large basin and leave over night
    Next day, put all this in a preserving pan with the pith and pips tied in a muslin bag and all the water.
    Boil steadily for an hour.
    Remove the muslin bag pressing it firmly against the side of the pan to release any liquid and the pectin.
    Add sugar to the pan and allow to dissolve slowly, then boil rapidly until the marmalade sets.
    Bottle as normal. Makes about 4lbs.

♥♥♥ Genius - 1% inspiration and 99% doing what your mother told you. ♥♥♥

• Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 6th Apr 05, 3:04 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 6th Apr 05, 3:04 PM
    • 6th Apr 05, 3:04 PM
    slice in half, sprinkle with mixed spice and brown sugar
    nuke under the grill or with a blowtorch
    eat on their own or with cream or ice cream
    yummy
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Queenie
    • 7th Apr 05, 7:45 AM
    • 7th Apr 05, 7:45 AM
    (but what on earth is orris root powder? :confused: )
    by Allexie
    You buy orris root powder from the Chemist - it's a preservative and in most pot pourri mixes.

Mythology: It is also known as a Love powder ... if you have a bit of the powder on your fingers and touch someone you (allegedly!) draw their love towards you
    I suppose then if after preserving your oranges you still have some on your fingers, you should rush out and shake hands with all the people you wish to get on better with so that none is wasted
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • ET03
    • 26th Apr 05, 3:52 PM
    • 26th Apr 05, 3:52 PM
    you could make orange curd using the satsumas instead

Orange Curd

Orange Curd

3 large eggs
    2 large egg yolks
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup fresh orange juice
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
    2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
    1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons

In a small heavy saucepan, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks. Whisk in the
    sugar, then whisk in the citrus juices and zests. Add the butter and whisk
    constantly over moderately low heat until the mixture thickens, about 8 minutes;
    do not let it boil. Immediately strain the curd into a bowl. Press plastic wrap
    directly on the surface of the curd and cut 6 small steam vents in the plastic.
    Refrigerate the curd overnight; it can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
  • Luis
    • 26th Apr 05, 6:42 PM
    • 26th Apr 05, 6:42 PM
    Whatever you do, don't eat them all in one go - I ate a bag of zoomas once, and had terrible runs afterwards
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time)
  • apple_mint
    • 27th Apr 05, 4:55 AM
    • 27th Apr 05, 4:55 AM
    slice in half, sprinkle with mixed spice and brown sugar
    nuke under the grill or with a blowtorch
    eat on their own or with cream or ice cream
    yummy
    by Sarahsaver
    Tried this at the weekend with oranges and topped with plain yogurt ... absolutely fabulous!
    • Pal
    • By Pal 27th Apr 05, 9:15 AM
    • 2,062 Posts
    • 731 Thanks
    Pal
    • 27th Apr 05, 9:15 AM
    • 27th Apr 05, 9:15 AM
    Could you juice them and then freeze the juice?
  • frannybaby
    Help! Lots of mandarins/satsumas
    Hello everyone...

I am a habitual lurker in here and I wondered if you could help...

I have ended up with a whole box of mandarins/satsumas as my OH decided he had to have them and then went off on business leaving them uneaten.

Any ideas how I could use them up?!

Thanks

F
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 17th Jan 06, 7:12 AM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Hi welcome to Old Style!

They are lovely squeezed as breakfast juice, or if that's a bit extravagant then use them half and half with orange juice
    • se999
    • By se999 17th Jan 06, 7:18 AM
    • 2,404 Posts
    • 13,463 Thanks
    se999
    I know you can buy Satsuma and Mandarin marmalade, but couldn't find a specific recipe. So I assume you'd just use a normal marmalade recipe.

I always like satsuma's and mandarins with fresh natural yoghurt for breakfast.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 17th Jan 06, 7:31 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    I had this problem a few days ago with a batch of very pippy clementines.I made them into jelly.Dessert-type wobbly jelly not jam jelly
    Sqeeze all the juice,add sugar if too tart.One sachet of gelatine powder sets one pint of juice,just follow the instructions on the packet-v.easy honestly.
  • Mrsbojangles
    Mandarin Tart, you can buy a pastry flan case or make your own, arrange the segments around the flan, make up a packet of quick gel and pour over, leave to set, delicious with ice cream or cream, you can freeze them too!

Or Ice Cream sponge cake, make a sponge cake in a loaf tin, make up an orange syrup using some rind off the mandarin, some brown sugar and water, then heat gently, strain the syrup to get rid of the rind. add the syrup to some vanilla ice cream and mix in, leave the ice cream out to get to a sloppy but not runny consistency. Line an oblong tin with cling film, add a layer of sponge cake, some mandarin segments and some ice cream continue to layer until no sponge left, then wrap in cling film and freeze, serve at your lesiure.

HTH
    February Grocery Challenge 250.00

Spend so far 230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
  • frannybaby
    Thanks everyone! I'll try some of these ideas out!
  • mennie
    satsumas
    I have around satsumas which are on the turn - too bad to just eat raw, really dont want to chuck them out, cant even put them on the compost.

any ideas?
    2014 = New Year, New Me
  • Queenie
    There are some earlier threads which might be useful (ok, too late for this time probably, but if you ever have the same problem, you'll have ideas on how to use them up)

Satsuma Overload

12 Organic Oranges, any ideas? (Ok, not satsumas but, interesting ideas which can be adapted and in that thread, it links off to another couple of ideas/recipe)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • Marsie
    • By Marsie 14th Sep 06, 7:45 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Marsie
    A variation on Nigella's Clementine Cake?
    http://www.nigella.com/recipes/recipe.asp?article=174
    2.00 coin savers club ... very full Terramundi smashed 6th October - 800

Starting again with a big Millionaire's Fund tin
  • jcr16
    Help sinking under satsumas
    my local fruit shop which was really bad has been getting so much better lately. anyway they now delivery. so u can go and buy what u want ( no min spend) and they deliver for 50p. fantastic.

well they had trays of satsumas which were going over for 50p. guess how many 14lb worth. anyway i got just under 8lb left. as went through them and these are the only ones which weren't totally gone.

i have done a search on forum threads and found some good ideas.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=42225&highlight=satsumas

in this there is recipe for satsuma maramade. which i am prob going to do.

but does anyone else please have any ideas ?

also i have loads of jam jars to put maramalade in ,but i can't find any of the lids :confused: for some strange reason. how else can i cover the tops.

all ideas grately recived and many thanks in advance.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • anonymousie
    • By anonymousie 14th May 07, 12:55 PM
    • 991 Posts
    • 715 Thanks
    anonymousie
    Hi
    Can't help with recipies, but jam jars without lids are easy- buy a pack of what I think are called "jam pot covers" or similar- celophane circles, greaspoof circles and elastic bands- drop the greaspoof circle on the jam whilst hot- then damp the sellophane and stretch it over the neck of the bottle, holding it on with the rubber band- There you go! When they cool you have a seated jar with a cellophane top tight as a drum!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

112Posts Today

1,596Users online

Martin's Twitter