Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Penelope
    Real life MMD: Should I keep the train voucher?
    • 14th Mar 11, 2:42 PM
    Real life MMD: Should I keep the train voucher? 14th Mar 11 at 2:42 PM
    Should I keep the train voucher?

I travelled from London to Durham by train on a 288 open return ticket paid for by my work. It was delayed by an hour so I complained and found I was entitled to a refund. I sent an application off to the train company and weeks later, I received 70 worth of rail vouchers, valid for 11 months and to be used by anyone for any rail journey. There is no process at my company to hand in the vouchers for someone else to use, and train tickets are bought through a third party on-line service.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 15-03-2011 at 6:15 PM.
Page 1
    • higginsb
    • By higginsb 15th Mar 11, 9:15 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    higginsb
    • 15th Mar 11, 9:15 PM
    • 15th Mar 11, 9:15 PM
    It was you who was inconvenienced by the delay, not your company, therefore the refund is yours. Your company paid the correct fare for the journey you took on their behalf. Enjoy the vouchers with a clear concience, but if you're concerned, ask your line manager for guidance.
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 16th Mar 11, 7:59 AM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,129 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 16th Mar 11, 7:59 AM
    • 16th Mar 11, 7:59 AM
    Keep the vouchers, it was you who was stuck on a train for an extra hour, not the company. Unless your company is thoughtful enough to play first class fares (unlikely!) you will have been cramped into a crowded carriage full of grumpy people. DH travels for business meetings and if there is a delay it is inevitably on the home leg - meaning that his 'own time' is cut short.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • stardust09
    • By stardust09 16th Mar 11, 8:22 AM
    • 245 Posts
    • 215 Thanks
    stardust09
    • 16th Mar 11, 8:22 AM
    • 16th Mar 11, 8:22 AM
    I'd keep the vouchers and be happy! :-)

Your company had to pay for a ticket anyway and I'm guessing they'll be claiming it on their accounts as a legitimate travel expense. Think of it as a rare perk.
  • sibles
    • 16th Mar 11, 8:26 AM
    I agree. I travel backwards and forwards to London for work and my boss told me that our policy is for you to keep the vouchers, you were the one who had the inconvienience, not the company.

Hope that helps
    Clicking, searching and surveying my way to a life of debt freedom!
    Debt Free 27th Nov 2012
    Weight Loss so far: 12lb13lb15lb16lb 17lb
  • matador_uk
    It was you who was delayed and you who was inconvenienced so I'd say you should benefit from the vouchers.

Your company has paid no more out of pocket than they would have, and as rail journeys are booked through third party operatives I imagine it'd be more hassle than it's worth to try and return the vouchers for your company to use.

Use them with a clear conscience I say!
    • rubix_76
    • By rubix_76 16th Mar 11, 8:46 AM
    • 216 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    rubix_76
    • 16th Mar 11, 8:46 AM
    • 16th Mar 11, 8:46 AM
    Unless you were being paid by the hour whilst being delayed (in which case it would have cost your company extra) I would keep the voucher.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 16th Mar 11, 9:05 AM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    • 16th Mar 11, 9:05 AM
    • 16th Mar 11, 9:05 AM
    i would tell my work about the voucher and let them decide the best course of action
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
    • Sheepster
    • By Sheepster 16th Mar 11, 9:19 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Sheepster
    • 16th Mar 11, 9:19 AM
    • 16th Mar 11, 9:19 AM
    Best to run it by your line manager, but odds on the company simply won't care. Really is though best to check just in case they ever found out somehow, and that somehow you've broken a company rule you didn't know about.

If the line manager says its ok - then it's not you who would take the flak lol
    • epm-84
    • By epm-84 16th Mar 11, 9:38 AM
    • 1,400 Posts
    • 4,335 Thanks
    epm-84
    If you were due to arrive back at 5pm but the delay caused you to arrive back at 6pm and your company hasn't paid you an hour's overtime (which would be very likely) than it is you who were inconveinced so you should keep the voucher.

However, if you arrived back at 5pm instead of 4pm but were doing your best to work on the train then went home at your usual time then no-one's really lost out.
    • menshevik
    • By menshevik 16th Mar 11, 9:48 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    menshevik
    Follow the advice of jamespir and Sheepster. One of the sales staff where I used to work collected Air Miles and used them to help cover his family's summer holiday. He lost his job. Company policy was that any benefits received in the course of employment had to be declared. The company worked hard to maintain its good reputation and was wary of employees receiving largesse, especially if it was courted.
    • tabaira
    • By tabaira 16th Mar 11, 9:54 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    tabaira
    yes. lucky you
    • julie777
    • By julie777 16th Mar 11, 9:56 AM
    • 303 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    julie777
    Yours to use or sell
    If you don't usually travel by train I would advertise them or put them on Ebay.
  • tryfive
    Who lost out?
    It seems most people here are taking the view that "it was you who was inconvenienced, it's you who should keep the vouchers."

From a more ethical perspective, it's a bit more complex than that! It really depends on whether were you "on company time" at the time you were delayed or not.

If your employer was paying the train fare, and paying you for the time you were travelling, the vouchers should be handed over (or at least offered) to your employer. On the same basis, you should have made the claim (filled out the relevant forms, etc) during office hours as well!

If you were travelling on your own time (i.e. out of work hours, and not getting compensated for it), the it's fair enough to say that it was your time that was wasted, and you should keep the vouchers.

The real question is "who lost out as a consequence of the train being late" - the answer to this should tell you who the vouchers should go to.
    • tgroom57
    • By tgroom57 16th Mar 11, 10:05 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 12,694 Thanks
    tgroom57
    This is a no-brainer. You were the one who experienced the delay: You use the vouchers - it gives the train company a chance to get in your good books.
    For that reason, I would NOT sell them on ebay.
  • cuba2008
    I've read what Menshavik has said and think he is wrong. Collecting Air Miles and using them for personal use is obviously wrong, unless your employer has specifically given you permission to do so. Air Miles could be used by the Company to send another employee on a business trip. However, with regard to the vouchers you received for the train delay, I agree with others in that it was you who was inconvenienced - not your employer. Payment of vouchers is not a refund/partial refund of the fare paid. It is payment for being delayed. Same applies if your plane is delayed and the airline passes out food vouchers/puts you up in a hotel. You wouldn't go without food and give your employer the vouchers would you? And you certainly wouldn't turn down the chance of a night at a hotel and sleep at the airport as, doing that wouldn't enable your company to claim a free night at a hotel further down the line. Rail companies and airlines have to by law pay compensation when there are delays to their services - that is compensation not refund so the vouchers are yours to keep.
  • JoannaS
    Another great 'dilemma'
    I can't believe you even feel like this is a 'moral dilemma'!!!!!

1. You were the one who was inconvenienced not your company

2. They gave you vouchers for rail travel not cash

3. Stop wasting our time and let someone with a real dilemma get some advice

4. Enjoy using your rail vouchers! :-)
    Debt owed 4000, Saved (to pay back) 300, only 3,700 to go!!

My best money saving tip: Good manners cost NOTHING! So please be nice to each other!
    • curriej99
    • By curriej99 16th Mar 11, 10:25 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 103 Thanks
    curriej99
    I'd give the vouchers to my boss. But then I usually donate my salary to the company I work for, as I love them so much. They have given me a written warning however for turning up in a mess, as I can't afford a shower and am sleeping in a cardboard box under the Marylebone flyover.
    • hairypitz
    • By hairypitz 16th Mar 11, 10:40 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    hairypitz
    Yes. You suffered.
    It's always right to complain about bad train service and take the compensation. It's the only hope that they may one day improve.
    • TheFaqqer
    • By TheFaqqer 16th Mar 11, 11:34 AM
    • 92 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    TheFaqqer
    You were inconvenienced, you were the one that asked for compensation, you were the one that was compensated.

Some years back, I had a hotel bump me out because they were full. They put me up somewhere else for free, but I said that that wasn't compensation enough because it made no difference to me - the company was paying, so they needed to make something up to me personally as well. Result - free weekend in any Hilton of my choice for myself and my wife
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

53Posts Today

3,240Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin