Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Feb 11 at 9:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2011, it's almost spring so hopefully this will be a new beginning for all of us.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Page 36
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 11th Mar 11, 3:43 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    ahh wouldn't it be lovely to have loads of money lol, i was gonna recommend my mum tries this so can't use hers not that i'll need any more than 4, is it only 4 vouchers or 4 shops, cause i already did 2 lol xxx
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 11th Mar 11, 3:44 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Spiggle, unfortunatly ours don't deliver. They used to, but it is one of the things they had to stop doing when the crunch hit as people were ordering 2 pork chops and half a pound of bacon. Though I may suggest to them that they look at doing it if an order is over a certain amount.

Have just been looking at the local free paper and Riverford are advertising their veg boxes with free delivery and they reckon they are on average 20% cheaper than supermarkets. Has anyone had any experiance of Riverford?
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
  • Missus Aka
    technically you dont need a clubcard i dont think you just wont gain the points but just use a different email add. then just make sure you pay cash i guess then use the vouchers on shops where you pay cash
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 11th Mar 11, 3:54 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    that seems like too much effort tbh, if i even manage £100 i'll eb ahppy never mind more xxx
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • Missus Aka
    yeah i guess it depends on everyones circumstances (people have just been buying anything that will give them more in vouchers just to get that extra couple of pounds) but i just bought things that i will need anyway or are a slight luxury like oxiaction powder, i wont go up to £100 anyway. i dont spend that much at mrt to justify it, but it just helps buy treats/stock up
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 11th Mar 11, 4:07 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    i would be too worried it wouldn't work to waste money on stuff i wouldn't use, ok most of ours is treats, but tbh we tend to buy treats and fizzy drinks over the weekend anyway and i do need shampoo
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
    • nat21luv
    • By nat21luv 11th Mar 11, 4:11 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 27,415 Thanks
    nat21luv
    Spiggle, unfortunatly ours don't deliver. They used to, but it is one of the things they had to stop doing when the crunch hit as people were ordering 2 pork chops and half a pound of bacon. Though I may suggest to them that they look at doing it if an order is over a certain amount.

Have just been looking at the local free paper and Riverford are advertising their veg boxes with free delivery and they reckon they are on average 20% cheaper than supermarkets. Has anyone had any experiance of Riverford?
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    I'd like to know too, I know they deliver my way but have no idea how good they are of if its value for money?
    £12k in 2019 #=
    1% challenge £142= 16% £10 a day = £460/£500

**MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 11th Mar 11, 4:13 PM
    • 13,826 Posts
    • 29,891 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    DH has just phoned and he is going to be late tonight so after some discussion I have done the boys jacket spuds with beans and cheese and we are going to have a treat. For treat, read Subway

Have just done the most scrummy gluten free Banana and Walnut loaf. It's used up some bananas that have started to go over. Boys will have it for there pud.

Grease and line a bread tin (I use a silicone one so I just grease it.)
    Heat oven to 180 deg C.

90g of butter/marg
    185g caster sugar
    2 eggs
    500g banana, mashed (this is about 3 bananas)
    220g Gluten Free flour
    1/4 tsp bicarb of soda
    125g nuts (I used walnut but the recipe says mixed nuts, so just use what you have.)

Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time beating after each addition.

Add bananas and beat again

Stir in flour, bicarb and nuts

Put in tin and bake for about 1 1/4 hours until well risen and firm.

Turn out on a wire rack and cool.

Tastes great in a bowl with custard
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    Loving life as a Kernow Hippy
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 11th Mar 11, 4:15 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 20,260 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    Afternoon, everyone! Hope everyone is having a good day. It's the weekend! Apart from feeling a bit down today (events in Japan and other reasons) but otherwise I'm feeling OK. It's a No Spend Day for me - whee! I did buy a couple of things, but they came from a different budget than the grocery challenge one, so I'm not fussed.

Way to go, Mrs M! That's some inspirational weight loss. Well done.

Tea tonight will be whatever DH decides he wants. There's some mince out, some part baked baguettes, lots of eggs (so omelettes would be a possibility), soup in the cupboard, or takeaway (highly unlikely). I'll leave the choice to him, but there's no real need for me to go to the supermarket over the weekend. Hopefully that's another couple of NSDs.

Take care, everyone. Have a good evening.

KB xx

• Missus Aka
    well fanta is £1.66 at mrt and £1 at mra so you would get £1.32 back in a voucher and sprite is the same prices as well, if you want to make sure you get money back check online tesco price checker before you go out and stick to branded items its easier
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 11th Mar 11, 4:24 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    i saw that i sprite tins are £2.89 aswell but £1.50 in a$da so i'm getting those i know it's not as good value but there for me and i don't drink much and oh diet pepsi cause it's £1.79 but £1 in a$da aswell, yeah i've made a list and will send oh to a diferent till if we pick up anything else and i'll just scan threw whats on my wee list lol
    Last edited by quintwins; 11-03-2011 at 4:27 PM.
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
  • Missus Aka
    p.s make sure you dont buy from tesco express stores petrol stations etc because they are not covered under the price guarantee
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 11th Mar 11, 4:27 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    £5.99 spent today, although most of that was on toiletries and although i've included them in my total for now, if I get close, I may have to rethink things (they'll last me months!)

£1.99 in Superdrug on 3 x shower gel.
    £3.00 on 2 x shampoo and 2 x conditioner in Morrisons and £1.00 on some cherry tomatoes.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • sazzledazzle
    He He I love this challenge, though think I may have sounded like a mad women walking around mr T counting my shopping as I went. Thought I would use my £4 off Mr T till voucher, and mr S £2 off £20 spend voucher, then found another Mr S £2 voucher so thought hey I will give this a go, and they took all three. So I saved £3.91 on multibuys, and then had £8 taken off with Vouchers. Total shop £25.28.
    Cant believe how well I am doing bearing in mind I am now buying for 3. then got a nice call from my Bro who is currently staying with us, and he is offering to buy Chinese after my meeting tonight so that is a meal saved for another day and a nice treat.
    MAY NSD's

• rosieben
    [QUOTE=tigerfeet2006;41909710] scrummy gluten free Banana and Walnut loaf. ... /QUOTE]

its in the index omg I'm quick today!
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • katholicos
    Not very precise GC calculations but i think i have spent about £25 so far this month, though perhaps less actually. Hope you are all doing alright, will start the enormous task of catching up with the thread now
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 11th Mar 11, 6:14 PM
    • 4,842 Posts
    • 58,667 Thanks
    sistercas
    I'd like to, but I really don't "get" that pay-back-double-the-difference/10% -thingamejig that MissAka is talking about. I'm sure she's explaining it well, but I can be such a dim old bint

i dont quite understand it either

sistercas Really hope your keep your job hun - fingers crossed

thankyou and to everyone else who has sent me good wishes , i really appreciate everyones support
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    [QUOTE=rosieben;41912004]
    scrummy gluten free Banana and Walnut loaf. ... /QUOTE]

its in the index omg I'm quick today!
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    lol you are doing a fab job
    Last edited by sistercas; 11-03-2011 at 6:16 PM.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 11th Mar 11, 6:38 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,569 Thanks
    quintwins
    just back from te$co i'm not gonna add my spends til my voucher comes in cause i'm gonna make it off and spend it next month (how long are they valid?) i did spend £8.50 in iceland tho on some nuggets and chicken burgers and chips for tea (chilli will go into the freezer) and some bacon for butties in the morning will add that tomorrow aswell when i know wat my acual total is

all i can see is i'm glad i don't buy branded foods too often that wasn't much food for £32 and i forgot the ham til i was threw the til lol
    OCT GC £196.12/£200
    • Mrs Money Penny
    • By Mrs Money Penny 11th Mar 11, 6:41 PM
    • 732 Posts
    • 6,347 Thanks
    Mrs Money Penny
    Hi All, Managed a small shop this afternoon of £20.18 for the week. Have a good weekend everyone.
    MFIT Challenge save £40k
    £48828.05/£46842.89/-£1985.16Mortgage neutral 03/19
  • Missus Aka
    they are valid for 28 days please make sure you keep your receipt you need it to redeem your voucher i staple mine together
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

634Posts Today

6,041Users online

Martin's Twitter