Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Feb 11 at 9:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2011, it's almost spring so hopefully this will be a new beginning for all of us.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Page 33
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    to all those who need.

Had a spend of £2 on a multipack of crisps and some factory spoils chocolate. (sig updated)

Well its getting to that time in the month where im starting to think will i make it till the end still in budget! got £20 left of the budget but effectivily got lots of storecupboard items and stuff in the freezer. Have just tried the bacon and onion duplings recipe so Thankyou to whoever posted that it was very yummy using very little ingrediants! but it really wont do my waist line much good as well as the homemade cakes etc!

Never mind once the debt is gone i can afford to join a gym again!

Must get Dog food or else he might try and eat my arm or a table leg or something.... so probably more like £10 for the rest of the mnth . Must stay away from chocolate!
    HSBC £3223.20 £2060.00
    Cap1 £1724.91 £1782.00
    OD £939.78 £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 10th Mar 11, 8:19 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    NSD today.

I'm getting so used to typing that! I think this has been the best month for that so far! Today is the 10th, and I've had 7 NSDs! Ok, I know i'm no roger ramjet, but this is really good for me.

We had spaghetti bolognese for dinner today. Dutifully got the tub of batch cooking out of the freezer, hoping it was the right thing - some of you may remember my posts about UMOs and such - this was from before the days of labelling everything!! Turned out it was spag bol, which was useful. Not too sure what I'm having for dinner tomorrow, as the children will be at their dad's. Probably some of this soup I made days ago, and I'm going to freeze the rest now, or it'll go off. I WILL LABEL!!!

I have 2 or 3 dinner ideas for next month on my list already - I'm really enjoying this new way of doing my meal planning, and find it so much less stressful. At some point in the next week or so (maybe even sat as I don't have the children), i'll go through my freezer and pantry and starting thinking about April's meals. I've never been this organised, so thanks to everyone for helping me to rein in my reckless ways!!

Angel - how are you all? Been thinking of you.

Off now to bake some scones for a friend, and try out the weetabix brownies.

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • roger ramjet
    ^ great job there penny! 7 from 10 is fantastic.

My run will come to end at some point - but it is interesting to see what I have stockpiled. But it is a slightly false situation since Mrs Ramjet and the junior Jetlets aren't here at the moment. Still, the other thing I am noticing is that the freezer stock isn't going down that quickly - maybe because I am more aware of what I am preparing/eating and also minimising waste. Much of the leftovers went in the canine compactors and also to the birds - but now I am trying to be a bit more creative. Hence, last nights green soup!!

Anyone got a good recipe for red cabbage - have a frozen tub of it in the freezer from the MIL.
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    Outstanding Mortgage (1&2): £75023/£76400 Target MF date: Jun 2019 (49 payments)
    Target OP (2015): £1500
    Outstanding Mortgage 3: £77000
    Outstanding Loan: £1161 What Loan!
  • roger ramjet
    Hello,
    Not had time to update before, doing ok. Just back from L!dl where they'd reduced the frozen turkeys to £6.99 so I got one and will cook it tomorrow. We'll have OH's boys for the weekend so will surprise them with and unChristmas dinner. Will keep some out and freeze the rest in batches for sandwiches etc.

Went back to find Angel's post. Just wanted to say I'm thinking of you, it's a tough time
    x
    Originally posted by Diflower
    I bet that is an interesting recipe!
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    Outstanding Mortgage (1&2): £75023/£76400 Target MF date: Jun 2019 (49 payments)
  • helen jelly
    Roger Ramjet - I had a real "moment" when I read your post - canine compactors - Oh I thought - wonder what they are, then I slapped my hand on my forehead, looked at my dog and thought oh yes, I know what that is!!! lol

Helenx
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
  • roger ramjet
    ^ LOL!

I'm amazed what mine eat! Grapes, lettuce, you name it! Mind you, like children, one will only show interest if the other wants it!
    Mortgage Free Wannabe
    1st April 2015
    • Aldahbra
    • By Aldahbra 10th Mar 11, 9:52 PM
    • 315 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    Aldahbra
    Especially considering this is my first day I have done very, very badly.

I left my good wholesome, cheap homemade soup at home and ended up buying lunch at £5.30.

Then to make things worse I've spent £69.53 in the pet supermarket. I did buy a new water filter thingy at £29.99 for my spoiled old cats which shouldn't really come out of the grocery budget. Thing is I don't really have another budget to take it from. Maybe if I don't buy Latte at work for £1.20 a time I can save that money back.

tigerfeet2006 I'm going to bake those cookies tomorrow afternoon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

So on day 1 of my 1st month I spent £44.94 leaving £455.06 for the rest of the month.
    Got to save £29.99 by not buying Latte
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 10th Mar 11, 9:52 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    Popped on to report a spend of £11.57. I thought to myself that I was doing well. Then added it to my sig

Also had several lightbulb moments today.

1. I have not long finished watching "A Farmers Life For Me" I really love that show. It just goes to show what hard work the real Farmers put in and why we should try & buy locally instead of going to the SM. Something I will start doing as of now

2. I then switched over to watch the comic relief show about the slums in Kenya. To think I worry about when I can fill my cupboards, and my food cupboards are bigger than the "houses" they live in

3. If RogerRamjet can do it on £0.00, then my budget is a bloomin luxury!!

I've basically got enough food in to last a good few weeks, and although I'm not brave enough to go for zero, i'm going to buy only when absolutely necessary. For me, milk for my coffee just makes it taste nicer. But I'm super motivated tonight, so I'm going for under budget this month

My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - £46.73 / £100.00
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 10th Mar 11, 10:09 PM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    Especially considering this is my first day I have done very, very badly.

I left my good wholesome, cheap homemade soup at home and ended up buying lunch at £5.30.

Then to make things worse I've spent £69.53 in the pet supermarket. I did buy a new water filter thingy at £29.99 for my spoiled old cats which shouldn't really come out of the grocery budget. Thing is I don't really have another budget to take it from. Maybe if I don't buy Latte at work for £1.20 a time I can save that money back.

tigerfeet2006 I'm going to bake those cookies tomorrow afternoon.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________

So on day 1 of my 1st month I spent £44.94 leaving £455.06 for the rest of the month.
    Got to save £29.99 by not buying Latte
    Originally posted by Aldahbra
    Try puting those Lattes in the Demotivator
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/demotivator/

Hope you enjoy the cookies.
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
    • allie23
    • By allie23 11th Mar 11, 4:59 AM
    • 1,336 Posts
    • 14,594 Thanks
    allie23
    Hi All

I have lost it a bit on my first month returning to the grocery challenge. DH and I have been sharing the shopping budget and it has been very hard to keep track of things. Also have been very tired and stressed lately and have given in to temptation to have a few takaways - but this isn't helping the waistline either.

At the moment we have £145 left from our £250 budget. This should easily see us through to the end of the month.
    Last edited by allie23; 11-03-2011 at 5:00 AM. Reason: spelling!
  • scotsaver
    Last night's Tuna Pasta Bake was a huge hit, had some Purple Sprouting Brocolli from the Allotment, 2 rashers of bacon in the Fridge to use up and some Cherry tomatoes so it went like this:-

Put some Pasta shapes on to boil and while that was cooking I chopped the Broccolli and bacon and fried lightly, meanwhile I made a White Sauce with half a pint of milk. When the Broccolli and bacon have been frying for a few mins I then put some of the liquid from the Pasta into the pan and put a lid on to "Steam" the broccolli. Open a tin of tuna, stir it into the White Sauce then add to the Pasta, give it a good stir then add the Bacon and broccolli and mix together. Pour it into a large Casserole dish, chop some cherry toms and scatter on the top, grate some cheese over and pop in the oven or under the Grill to brown. It was delicious.

My DD's said "it tastes like that packet stuff we have at so and so's house, except this is much nicer and tastes like proper food". How good did I feel.

Dinner tonight will be Fish, not sure yet as I'll go to MrM's fish counter, and some HM chips and mushy peas.

Have a good day everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• never too old
    • By never too old 11th Mar 11, 5:57 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 31,083 Thanks
    never too old
    Popped on to report a spend of £11.57. I thought to myself that I was doing well. Then added it to my sig

Also had several lightbulb moments today.

1. I have not long finished watching "A Farmers Life For Me" I really love that show. It just goes to show what hard work the real Farmers put in and why we should try & buy locally instead of going to the SM. Something I will start doing as of now

2. I then switched over to watch the comic relief show about the slums in Kenya. To think I worry about when I can fill my cupboards, and my food cupboards are bigger than the "houses" they live in

3. If RogerRamjet can do it on £0.00, then my budget is a bloomin luxury!!

I've basically got enough food in to last a good few weeks, and although I'm not brave enough to go for zero, i'm going to buy only when absolutely necessary. For me, milk for my coffee just makes it taste nicer. But I'm super motivated tonight, so I'm going for under budget this month

Originally posted by CherryPie
    totally agree, i have been keeping house for 27 odd years ( started young) lost mum when i was 21 so think i didnt have anyone to get the tips from on how to do things properly, wasnt interested before that so never asked.wish my lightbulb had come on earlier, i now try to buy my meat from the butchers for the reason you said, tired of seeing the little shops clossing.
    £2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£1560.87 / 2019
    0%/100%
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 11th Mar 11, 6:18 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    Originally posted by CherryPie
    i watched it too, puts things into perspective doesnt it? they live in absolute poverty, puts things into perspective

going to t3sco and sainsbugs today i ust need a few things and i have checked it all on mysuperm@rket , so will just take enough cash to cover what i need
  • MRSMCAWBER
    Good morning all

Thoughts to those facing hard times again right now...

Well we nipped shopping yesterday afternoon, I was good and resisted ANY meat -the freezer is groaning with it so I put my head down and scuttled past the meat chillers -so it was mainly milk, water, fruit veg and a bit of dairy,

Im up to €74 now but with 11NSDs out of 14 Im happy enough

Had a great day yesterday -I love those days where I have loads of odds n sods to use up -so I got busy and made:-
    • 6 individual frittatas
    using an opened pack of bacon pieces, a sad leek, some peppers, mushrooms, sweetcorn and 6 eggs
    • cream of cauliflower cheese soup
    using 2 leeks, 3/4 sad cauli and stock - I add my 14g cheddar to the top of each serving once its warmed
    • made hubbies tomato base for his pizzas
    using some sad tomatoes and onion, olive oil n seasoning
    • made some bread dough and turned it into 3 pizzas -1 for his dinner last night, he has taken 1 to warm up for lunch today and 1 in the fridge
    Used up a large onion, some mushrooms, peppers, sweetcorn, chorizo -mozzarella -that wanted using, parmesan and cheddar

So thats quite a few lunches sorted

I managed to break through my 8st barrier this week -so 8st 1lb gone -just the last 4st7lb left to shed -it is costing me quite a bit in new clothes though -although I do take advantage of the sales, and I figure once I get to target it will be much cheaper to buy quality items that will last (thats my reasoning and Im sticking to it )
    right I had better stop waffling and get my brekkie.. have a good day everyone and positive thoughts to those awaiting results...
    -6 -8 -3 -1.5 -2.5 -3 -1.5-3.5
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 11th Mar 11, 6:51 AM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 36,173 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    A spend of £18.18 for me this week. The freezers are now completely full again - so much for eating what I had first. That's it. Apart from fruit, bread and the stuff for the house elf's packed lunch I will not be buying anything else until we have made serious inroads into the food we have. I was contemplating doing a freezer inventory, but I think it would take all day. I have given myself a virtual smack and a good talking to.

Oh, and I bought some sausages from the butcher this week. They're driving the cat mad. When we cook them it paces up and down the kitchen yowling because it wants them. I've never known supermarket sausages to have that effect
  • martafdz
    MrsMcawer that is an amazing amount of weight lost! Congratulations!

Try puting those Lattes in the Demotivator
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/protect/demotivator/

Hope you enjoy the cookies.
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    This is brilliant, I had not seen it before! Lol

scotsaver, your dish sounds lush! How do you make the HM chips? I used to fry them (and loved them!) but my DH does not like anything that has been fried pretty much. I mean, he would have it but then would say about how better and healthier they are in the oven... Do you make them in the oven? Anyone?
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • rachbc
    Just checking with my little iphone app and discovered I'd had 5 nsd this month so pretty pleased about that. Running total is £89.89 so far. Need bread and milk this weekend and maybe a few veg. However I have been feeling a bit crummy this week with a sore throat and headache so have bought lunch at work a couple of times (£2 a time but yucky food) - need to restock the freezer with soup to avoid that happening again!
    • tigerfeet2006
    • By tigerfeet2006 11th Mar 11, 7:39 AM
    • 13,812 Posts
    • 29,889 Thanks
    tigerfeet2006
    MrsMcawer that is an amazing amount of weight lost! Congratulations! I agree, well done Mrs McCawber. You must be really chuffed with yourself.

This is brilliant, I had not seen it before! Lol
    It's a fantastic tool, isn't it Brings it right home.

scotsaver, your dish sounds lush! How do you make the HM chips? I used to fry them (and loved them!) but my DH does not like anything that has been fried pretty much. I mean, he would have it but then would say about how better and healthier they are in the oven... Do you make them in the oven? Anyone?
    Originally posted by martafdz
    I'd like to know how to do the chips as well please

Sainsbo's delivery will be here between 11 and 12. I will be having a NSD today as well.

Just been having a look through my freezer and have found a pork fillet and some pork chops lurking. So with the extra mince I have from todays dinner, that's 4 meals I have for next week already, just have to decide what to do with it

rachbc, what app do you have on your iPhone please?
    BSCno.87
    The only stupid question is an unasked one
    I now live in a country that is 4 hours ahead of the UK so you may now find I post at weird times
    [/COLOR][/CENTER]
  • emazingli
    Nice thread! I think I would save much money because I can have plans for the foods that I would buy.
  • rachbc
    I'd like to know how to do the chips as well please

Sainsbo's delivery will be here between 11 and 12. I will be having a NSD today as well.

Just been having a look through my freezer and have found a pork fillet and some pork chops lurking. So with the extra mince I have from todays dinner, that's 4 meals I have for next week already, just have to decide what to do with it

rachbc, what app do you have on your iPhone please?
    Originally posted by tigerfeet2006
    Its called 'spend' and its basically a way of logging spending! I have the free version (obviously lol) that allows you to track 5 budgets - I have one for groceries, petrol, personal spending and 'other'. Its not hugely sophisiticated but hten neither am I
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,923Posts Today

7,748Users online

Martin's Twitter