Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Penelope
    Real life MMD: Should I refund the Post Office?
    • 7th Mar 11, 1:04 PM
    Real life MMD: Should I refund the Post Office? 7th Mar 11 at 1:04 PM
    Should I refund the Post Office?

I sent my son in law a parcel on 15 Dec for Christmas. By mid January it still hadn't been delivered, so I filled in a Royal Mail claim form. Within about a week I received a cheque for the goods' cost, though nothing for postage. A couple of days later the parcel arrived.

Should I return the cheque or keep it, as compensation for the very late Christmas present? Part of me would feel guilty paying it in, but at the same time it was poor service, even though I know the heavy snow caused severe disruption.

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 08-03-2011 at 5:00 PM.
Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 8th Mar 11, 10:42 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 8th Mar 11, 10:42 PM
    • 8th Mar 11, 10:42 PM
    You didn't apply for late delivery compensation, you applied for loss of article. Article has turned up you refund the money.

Now apply for late delivery compensation.......... and the very best of luck to you with that one.
  • robynprincess
    • 8th Mar 11, 11:18 PM
    • 8th Mar 11, 11:18 PM
    i dont know, i would probably give them a call and explain, they may well tell you to keep it or send you out a different cheque for late delivery
  • inicholson
    • 8th Mar 11, 11:44 PM
    • 8th Mar 11, 11:44 PM
    Cash the cheque. Once it's cleared apply for late delivery compensation and offer to repay the loss of article compensation when you get that cheque! It's the Post office, they'll probably lose the letter and you'll never hear from them again.
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 9th Mar 11, 12:17 AM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    • 9th Mar 11, 12:17 AM
    • 9th Mar 11, 12:17 AM
    i would explain to them the situation and give the money back
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
    • eurovision_fan
    • By eurovision_fan 9th Mar 11, 12:28 AM
    • 81 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    eurovision_fan
    • 9th Mar 11, 12:28 AM
    *rubs pennies together*
    • 9th Mar 11, 12:28 AM
    I'd say keep the loss of article cheque (if its worth more claiming for late postage - then return cheque and apply for that)

Whichever works out more for you, claim that.
    Wins so far 2015:
    15 Beefeater Vouchers
  • LOUY
    • 9th Mar 11, 1:14 AM
    Royal Mail are already over stretched and overspent on budget.
    The last thing they need is to use valuable man power to pay in a cheque to write to them to return this, and someone to monitor this cheque to make sure it clears, - and then another headcount to process your claim for late delivery and another headcount to investigate into this claim.

Therefore just keep it and everyone is a winner
    Mortgage when started (Dec 2005): 120,000
    Current mortgage (March 2011): 98,563
    Update (Jan 2014): 89,639
    Mortgage free day: Jan 2034
  • noyb1234
    I wouldn't give the cheque back. You didn't receive compensation for the late postage and so the cheque can pay for that!
  • Fellmeister
    • 9th Mar 11, 2:11 AM
    Does it cover international parcels?
    • 9th Mar 11, 2:11 AM
    My brother sent me a box of stuff to me in Australia over the Chritmas period and it's been 10 weeks. Anything else I've been sent has turned up in less than three.

Is there anything he or I can claim back?
    • Devonian Rodders
    • By Devonian Rodders 9th Mar 11, 6:26 AM
    • 70 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    Devonian Rodders
    Late Delivery
    Since the parcel turned up, keeping the cheque would constitute fraud. Although the Post Office handle millions of packages, there is nothing to stop them making further investigations when least expected.

Yes you could write to them stating the package had turned up, but you were disappointed with the delay, and see if they are prepared to offer any form of recompense.
    • Notebook
    • By Notebook 9th Mar 11, 6:33 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Notebook
    You have never had this happen to you - you wouldnt get compansation after a year let alone a week or month - it has happened to me twice!!!
    • Cheapie357
    • By Cheapie357 9th Mar 11, 7:21 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Cheapie357
    You're lucky you got any response from them at all. I sent a parcel and queried when it hadn't arrived after 2 months. THe form filling and rigmarole was a mission - then they kept blanking me. I never heard from them again, and the parcel arrived 6 months later. 5 1/2 months too late for what it was needed for, and no apologies at all.
    • stephcyl
    • By stephcyl 9th Mar 11, 7:48 AM
    • 69 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    stephcyl
    Do what floats your boat more. But as for me, I would return the cheque as I wouldnt feel comfortable keeping it. As for the late delivery, I would forget about that cos its not worth the stress
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 9th Mar 11, 8:13 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    It depends how guilty you feel after the appallingly bad service you have had from an industry in decline which has inept, poorly trained and over-paid employees. It WAS a non-delivery because it did not arrive in time for Christmas, so I should regard this as one of the rare occasions when The Post Office has made amends for its failings.
  • bennett2kuk
    They are thieves. Charging over 5 to "ensure" a parcel gets there the next day when a stamp would just as easily suffice. How they are in the trouble they are in is beyond me. Employing morons doesn't help but the Royal Mail is a complete shambles! Keep the money, they won't miss it and they won't care!
    • Doooford
    • By Doooford 9th Mar 11, 8:36 AM
    • 466 Posts
    • 299 Thanks
    Doooford
    Personally I think it's a joke that if you send something urgently with Royal Mail under the "Guaranteed Next Day" service that the only compensation that you get is the postage refunded.
    I once sent a passport to someone who was travelling abroad 2 days later. The item turned up the day after departure and I could only claim back 4.95ish.
    For everyone that the Royal Mail has conned with their charges for under paid postage I think you should take this money.

Back in my day guaranteed meant guaranteed and all that
    • Cimscate
    • By Cimscate 9th Mar 11, 9:08 AM
    • 128 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    Cimscate
    Depends how much it is....
    Are we talking a fiver or hundreds of pounds here? If it's a small amount then would cost PO more in admin to return it and I wouldn't feel at all guilty about keeping it.

If it's a lot of money then I'd have to think a bit harder about what to do although I am amazed you got compensation so quickly!
    • happyinflorida
    • By happyinflorida 9th Mar 11, 9:15 AM
    • 724 Posts
    • 610 Thanks
    happyinflorida
    No I would not send the cheque back. The PO have really gone downhill - I had two relatives send me Christmas cards from USA in plenty of time before and one took 6 weeks to reach me and the other took 2 months. Disgusting service. Keep the cheque, especially in view of the fact they've still charged you for the postage for the item they had "lost". The PO is a really bad company now.
  • Losinmoney
    Since the parcel turned up, keeping the cheque would constitute fraud. Although the Post Office handle millions of packages, there is nothing to stop them making further investigations when least expected.

Yes you could write to them stating the package had turned up, but you were disappointed with the delay, and see if they are prepared to offer any form of recompense.
    Originally posted by Devonian Rodders
    Yes Devonian Rodders I agree. But I'm in exactly this situation. I've sent the cheque back as the parcel turned up (very late!) and have been waiting 7 yes 7 weeks now for them to process my claim for late delivery. I have the glow of satisfaction of doing the right thing, but I'm still waiting for my money.
  • GrannyWeatherwax
    I put in a claim on a parcel that had failed to arrive after a month. The day after the cheque (for not QUITE the full value) arrived, so did the parcel, so I rang Royal Mail to offer them the cheque back. They told me to keep it. Given that I hadn't insured the parcel, I was surprised that I was able to claim for it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,051Posts Today

9,697Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Warning: Energy price comparisons are now WRONG due to the price cap - it needs fixing - my letter to Ofgem alerti? https://t.co/vE9IHyM58X

• Follow Martin