Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Feb 11 at 9:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2011, it's almost spring so hopefully this will be a new beginning for all of us.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Page 23
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 6th Mar 11, 5:57 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    5.89 spent in Mr M's yesterday.
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 6th Mar 11, 6:01 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    I've had leftover brisket for tea too! It was lovely and a small amount left now - not too sure what to do with the last few slices - in a sandwich or in a leftover concoction I think!

NSD weekend for me too - another full NSD weekend like last week. Aiming for Mon/Wed/Thurs for NSDs next week then off out for the weekend so food shopping is Fri/Sat

Froze the breadrolls made today and kept one for a work lunch tomorrow and the lemon drizzle cake was very nice too! I halved the ingredients as didn't have enough butter for the larger version. But a smaller one is just right for me!

Next lot of baking will be next weekend and possibly another loaf cake I think - will have a mosey through my cookbooks for some ideas to see what I can use up whats in the cupboard
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 6th Mar 11, 6:24 PM
    • 3,426 Posts
    • 47,955 Thanks
    nmlc
    Evening all

Just an update of the spends, sorry it's a bit late but NEED TO DECLARE FOR FEB AT 402.24 OVERSPEND OF 27.35

On Friday did first shop of March GC spent, 73.45 in MrA's - didn't really have that much for how much it cost! Had done a menu plan before shopping so am hoping I can stay in budget this month. On Friday I made 2 doz choc cupcakes, 1 doz mince pies, 2doz oat biscuits, jam tarts, and a fruit tea loaf - some of this has been eaten over the weekend, but should be enough for pack-ups for the week.

Keep safe and well everyone,
    nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 6th Mar 11, 6:40 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Went to Te$co on Thursday and spent a total of 24.33 earlier on I had said I wanted to keep it to under 25 so I just managed to scrape in.
    Had a full and very busy few day so havent been able to update until tonight.
    We had roast chicken tonight for our teas and tomorrow will strip the rest off it and plan to make some chicken rissoles with it on Tuesday if all goes to plan. Will also do some stock with the carcass.
    Have done a meal plan for next week just need to think on what meat to have for Sunday.

We are going to a christening on Saturday and I have voluntered to do some baking for it so Saturday morning will be spent in the kitchen. Am thinking along the lines of a sultana cake, coconut cake and perhaps a sandwhich cake with home made tangy lemon curd in it.

Was not happy that today I had to throw away one pear, one kiwi and a very small amount of broccoli - dont suppose it was too bad considering what some people throw out but its still not good - must do better.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH 62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
  • Hippeechiq
    I've had leftover brisket for tea too! It was lovely and a small amount left now - not too sure what to do with the last few slices - in a sandwich or in a leftover concoction I think!
    Originally posted by fedupandskint
    Could you maybe add some cooked diced potato, some kind of cooked veg, a little gravy, pop it in a dish and put some pastry on it - Brisket Pie?

I had a Venison Casserole about a month ago - had a little left over, but not enough to feed two people again, so tomorrow, I'm padding it out with some cooked veg, putting pastry on the top and having Venison Pie for tea

Went to Te$co on Thursday and spent a total of 24.33 earlier on I had said I wanted to keep it to under 25 so I just managed to scrape in.

We are going to a christening on Saturday and I have voluntered to do some baking for it so Saturday morning will be spent in the kitchen. Am thinking along the lines of a sultana cake, coconut cake and perhaps a sandwhich cake with home made tangy lemon curd in it.
    Originally posted by Billie-jo
    on spending 24.33 when you wanted to spend no more than 25! There's something very satisfying about getting that close, isn't there

Your planned bakes for the christening sound lovely
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
  • mfwin2019
    I spent 5.80 in MR T today on apples, ham, bananas & tuna for lunches this week & 2.36 yesterday on milk so I am now up to 126/185 but cupboards & freezer still full
    mfwin2019
    MFiT2 no 184
    Starting at 181,869Target is 150,000 achieved 147,772
    MFiT3 no 20
    Start 147,772 - 96924 July 2015 target 90'000
  • M0neysav3r
    1.76 spent today after dh popped into Lidl for bread flour and the mccoys apparently jumped into his basket
    No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible
    GC - March 143.82 / 200 Feb 156.03 / 150 Oops! Jan 180.78/200
    • runnerbean17
    • By runnerbean17 6th Mar 11, 7:33 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 2,498 Thanks
    runnerbean17
    Well Spent 96.49 so far and not even a week in really going to try and make a better go of it this month. Really impressed with A!di fruit and veg used to buy an odd thing - now I buy it all there
    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend...

• muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 6th Mar 11, 7:48 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    did a shop on friday was supposed to last at least a week all the treats are gone all the pizzas and i got 4 we usually do pizza on friday night and keep a couple in case kids need too do something easy they wont use gas oven unless i turn it on and then tell them its ready, lazy or what? Need to add all little shops together and see whats left over next couple of weeks

never got chance to sort the 2nd purse,but will work something out eventually need to reorganise my direct debits they are all bunched up not good when nothing left in bank and overdraft maxed out on both accounts thought feb was bad looks like march is worse oh well if it comes to it i'll just cancel all of them and hopefully reset them on more practical days i got sk* tv package reduced to half price for 6 months and all because i rang to cancel and go to frees*t cos it was less , i even got to keep the same packages i had and it's not tied i can still cancel just 30 days notice cant cancel anything else till june then dec and jan i just want to get level and stay level still got to work out how i'm gona top leccy meter this week
    2nd purse challenge no0400 Sealed pot challenge ???? 2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
    • hamish222
    • By hamish222 6th Mar 11, 8:03 PM
    • 707 Posts
    • 3,004 Thanks
    hamish222
    I asked Mothership for help with the Brisket as I've never used before so following her tips I browned the joint and put in the Slow cooker with onion, carrot and celery, added water up to almost cover the joint, season with salt and pepper - I didn't add Ox0 as suggested as I want to see how "beefy" the stock becomes on it's own, want to see what the flavour is like as I'm new to using Meat from DR so making comparisons with what we've had before if that makes sense.
    Originally posted by scotsaver
    Thanks will give it a go one day this week.
    Yearly Grocery Budget - 100.77/ 3500. January Treats Budget - 11.80 / 100.
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 6th Mar 11, 8:05 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 29,757 Thanks
    tessie bear
    hope all have had a great weekend...ours was fun...went to costco...they gave some deals on pack up drinks...we got 4 crates which should save a bit

had a cheap lunch on ikea today...also popped to sains bugs and got a lovely bag of red and orange peppers...the economy bag but not all green infact no green...also carrot for 50p per kg....not bad i thought

hth tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 6th Mar 11, 8:15 PM
    • 5,003 Posts
    • 29,347 Thanks
    quintwins
    18.55 of approved foods, it didn't charge me postage tho so i'm expecting them to come back and charge me more, and i'm hoping they don't just cancel my order got loads tho and went halfers with my mum on postage
    DFW 7632/28996 26.3%
  • supersally01
    Just came on to update siggi, and add the butchers meat delivery that I had on Sat.
    Spent 35, on 12 eggs, 1lb gammon, 1lb sausage, 1.5 lb topside, 1lb bacon. Also got 500g chicken breast, steak shoulder and 1kg mince. This will last us ages, and the delivery was free. Quality seems good and locally sourced, ham is nice and dry cured, not that wet stuff from the supermarkets. Eggs are Local, free range. This together with the L!DL shop is working out better for us, than T@SCO. The kids have loved all the fresh fruit, I usually cannot afford this from MR T.
    Roast beef for lunch, with HM sausage rolls for tea. Really enjoying this challenge, booked all my work men to replace my en-suite on 18 April. Cannot wait! and cannot believe it has been funded from GC! Keep going guys, as you are my mentors! May be able to afford an xmas holiday if no major setbacks! Would be nice to visit Wales to see my NOK, so will see.
    • PennyGrabber
    • By PennyGrabber 6th Mar 11, 8:29 PM
    • 1,268 Posts
    • 22,438 Thanks
    PennyGrabber
    did a shop on friday was supposed to last at least a week all the treats are gone all the pizzas and i got 4 we usually do pizza on friday night and keep a couple in case kids need too do something easy they wont use gas oven unless i turn it on and then tell them its ready, lazy or what? Need to add all little shops together and see whats left over next couple of weeks

never got chance to sort the 2nd purse,but will work something out eventually need to reorganise my direct debits they are all bunched up not good when nothing left in bank and overdraft maxed out on both accounts thought feb was bad looks like march is worse oh well if it comes to it i'll just cancel all of them and hopefully reset them on more practical days i got sk* tv package reduced to half price for 6 months and all because i rang to cancel and go to frees*t cos it was less , i even got to keep the same packages i had and it's not tied i can still cancel just 30 days notice cant cancel anything else till june then dec and jan i just want to get level and stay level still got to work out how i'm gona top leccy meter this week
    Originally posted by muffin man 7

I know it doesn't help right now, but I posted the other day about changing my accounts around. I now have a bills account that I don't spend money from (don't even have a card for it, just manage it online). All my bills go from there. On payday, I transfer enough money over to that account to cover all the bills. If there's a bill that's yearly, I'll put enough of it in, that I can cover it when it comes out. Eg I have a magazine subscription that's 20 every 6 months, so I put in 3.50 ish every month for it. What this actually means, is that anything left in my bank account after payday is clear money, to use for food, petrol, entertainment etc. I sleep so much better now, because I know the bills have all been paid - I used to get caught out, thinking I had 100 left, go to the cinema and eat out, then have a direct debit of 80 go out that I couldn't cover. It took me a while to get organised, but it's the best time I've ever spent. (I also did lots of dd swaps, eg changed energy suppliers, tv package etc!). I know that doesn't put electricity in your home this week, but it may help you later on. xx
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan 87.97/100 Feb 0/100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 6th Mar 11, 8:37 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Can I ask how do you cook your brisket in slow cooker. I am sure I have a large brisket beef lurking in freezer. I have only cooked stews in slow cooker never whole joints. I also have a pork joint and chicken in freezer, how best to do them in slow cooker as well.

Thanks
    Originally posted by hamish222
    My all time fave for brisket in the sc is to just throw it in without browning with a chopped onion and a can of guinness (minus a slurp or two)

Blend the juices and onion afterwards to make a lovely gravy that thickens well with a small amount of cornflour. This also makes the most fantastic pies. Taste the gravy once its blended and if its a bit strong tasting dissolve half a teaspoon of sugar into it and mix well, the gravy does mellow once its finished cooking and been stood a while - freezes really well too as do the pies.

Put chunks of meat in a dish and pour some of the gravy over it, add lightly cooked veg if you like and top with a pastry crust. This makes a to die for pie that tastes fantastic.

HTH

SD
    Last edited by Sunnyday; 07-03-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • redkids1972
    Havent posted much lately but lukrked about a bit Still on target and did a sweep of shops yesterday to get all the best offers. did Morrison's, Lidl, co-op. M and S and a Netto one earlier in the week. Will have to total up additional spends but doing OK. My cupboards are full and have loads of stuff bar milk and bread which can do 2 weeks. Im so busy with work I doubt Ill be off out shopping for a while
    Although Im onboard now I can wait till May when Ill have time to up the anty so to speak Im planning on giving Baking a try
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, 100
    • sorting myself out
    • By sorting myself out 6th Mar 11, 9:14 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    sorting myself out
    First shop of the month today....26.04!! Freezer quite full now and meals planned for the week!! Hopefully i can stay out of the supermarkets and away from the offers!
    Debt free since July 2013 - Saving for a rainy day ☔️☔️☀️☀️
  • janie-h
    just to add to the very good advice from Cutiepie, we have a weekly meal plan thread you might like to look at for inspiration and you might find something useful in the 101 Meal Planning for Dummies thread

there's a link in the front page index to a meal planning article too

Here's my meal plan on the monthly meal plans thread
    Originally posted by rosieben
    Thanks for that!

It took a little while to realise that you didn't have more than seven days in a week - just a selection of recipes that you could cook. E.G. Monday would be a chicken recipe, Tuesday pork, Wed pasta and so on.

What a good idea , I think I could manage this. And I'm fully stocked up so will give it a try.

Also like the idea of the site (that someone put links to, sorry can't remember who) where you enter your ingredients and it comes up with a recipe.

Been looking at the slowcooker recipe thread and there's a great link to a site - chocolate fudge pudding Need I say more. Will try and work out how to insert the link... http://www.crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Hope that has worked?

Been shop hopping, but too tired to update at the mo... see you all tomorrow. night all

OOOOOh, I think the link worked! By the way... can anyone tell me how to multi quote? So many great ideas and people on here that I'd like to quote but if I did the whole thread would be full of my posts!
    Last edited by janie-h; 07-03-2011 at 12:03 AM.
    • beemuzed
    • By beemuzed 7th Mar 11, 12:00 AM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 20,281 Thanks
    beemuzed
    Doing very badly this month - more than a third of the budget is already spent!
    Resolution:
    Think twice before spending anything!
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 7th Mar 11, 4:36 AM
    • 4,504 Posts
    • 33,115 Thanks
    boultdj
    Thanks for that!

It took a little while to realise that you didn't have more than seven days in a week - just a selection of recipes that you could cook. E.G. Monday would be a chicken recipe, Tuesday pork, Wed pasta and so on.

What a good idea , I think I could manage this. And I'm fully stocked up so will give it a try.

Also like the idea of the site (that someone put links to, sorry can't remember who) where you enter your ingredients and it comes up with a recipe.

Been looking at the slowcooker recipe thread and there's a great link to a site - chocolate fudge pudding Need I say more. Will try and work out how to insert the link... http://www.crockpot365.blogspot.com/

Hope that has worked?

Been shop hopping, but too tired to update at the mo... see you all tomorrow. night all

OOOOOh, I think the link worked! By the way... can anyone tell me how to multi quote? So many great ideas and people on here that I'd like to quote but if I did the whole thread would be full of my posts!
    Originally posted by janie-h
    To multi quote just click on the double ballon icon, next to the quote button,know you can do 3 at a time, but not sure if you can do more, then click on post reply button
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,266Posts Today

7,799Users online

Martin's Twitter