Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Feb 11, 9:52 AM
    March 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Feb 11 at 9:52 AM
    Hi everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2011, it's almost spring so hopefully this will be a new beginning for all of us.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2011 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6, #7 and #8 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 27-02-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Page 15
  • TooMany4Legs
    Hi RussetRed...
    Unless I'm mistaken things like brussel sprouts, broccoli etc near blanching in boiling water before being frozen?
    I'm a complete newb though so I'm sure someone far more knowledgeable will be along with the right answer soon!

TooMany4Legs xx
  • martafdz
    PennyGrabber, I also suffer migraines every other month and painkillers do not help at all. Ask in your pharmacy for Imigran, it is not a painkiller, it is a chemical to balance the chemical we lack and produces the migraine. They have to ask you a few questions first and then they give you a paper to show everytime you buy this. There are two tablets, you cannot have more than that for each migraine attack. However, I have not found anything more effective than that, 30 minutes and you start feeling the migraine disappearing. You take the second tablet only if after 2h you still feel it. Then nothing else. It costs 8 or so but I swear by it. My migraines came with aura (blurry vision), I lost the strength in one side of the body, had problems breathing and talking and got really sick. They started after I hit the 25, I don't know why. Until I found these tablets, I had to stay in bed for about 48h in silence and without drinking or eating. Now I just have one tablet as soon as I feel the aura coming and done. I might get a bit of discomfort under one eye but nothig like before and I can do normal life and get on with my work. These tablets used to be under strict prescription a few years ago, they now give them over the counter but only after the questions because they only work if what you have is a migraine, and not a normal headache no matter how strong it is the headache. It works by providing your brain with the chemicals that made the vessels swallow in the first place and that produce the symptoms. So they do not work with other headaches or conditions because the cause is different. But again, I swear by them, I would not know what to do without them. I never have both, I only have one and keep the other one for the next time. Now I might have them once a month or less but my quality of life has been improved enourmously, because before I had to stay at home in bed no matter what for a couple of days and now I can just do whatever I need to do.

About margarine/butter, I saw on Monday that MrM had I can't believe it's not butter at 62p the 500g. It was cheaper than lard!!!
    Also Cheerios 600g (big box) at 1.32.
    And Robinsons Cordial (sugar/no added sugar) at 50p.

On milk, I can't recommend it enough if you do not want to buy milk often, you cannot freeze milk or you do not like the taste: Cravendale milk lasts 3 weeks unopen and 1 full week once opened. I buy milk only twice a month. Most sm have them always on offer, I currently buy 2 bottles of 2l at 3, so 1.50 each 2l bottle. I know it is a bit more expensive but I worked out how much I was throwing away with other milk because of going off and it worked better for me to pay a bit more initially and never throw any. Plus because it can be in the fridge for about 3 weeks, I rarely have to go running to the shop to top up milk, saving me the trip and money!
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • scotsaver
    I wouldn't mind the recipe for your oxtail stew, I've got some from DR as well I've never made it before , but my granny did.

Well done Nick on clearing off your debt, hope you have a lovely holiday
    Originally posted by Mothership
    Hi Mothership - I thought the Oxtail Stew recipe was from the front page here but I've checked my little hand written recipe book and don't know where I got it originally so apologies to whoever I got it from. Here goes:-

Oxtail Stew:-

Oxtail
    4 large spuds, peeled & cubed
    Quarter of a Swede, peeled & cubed
    1 parsnip, peeled and sliced
    1 onion, peeled and sliced
    3/4 pt of Beef stock
    Half tsp Dried Rosemary
    2 bay leaves
    Salt & pepper
    4 tbsp Cornflour

Layer everything in the Slow Cooker, spacing the pieces of Oxtail around the dish, add herbs, season then pour over the Stock. Cook in Slow cooker on Low for 8 hours. Thicken at the end by adding the cornflour mixed with a little water.

Last time we had this there was a lot of liquid/stock left so I added a few more veg next day to make soup.

I've actually just checked on it now and there isn't any excess fat floating like the one before from local Butcher and also, the smell is devine, fingers crossed I can win the family over this time.

Mothership - I don't know what you had delivered but I had the Winter stew selection delivered, I'm ok with most of it but can I ask if the Brisket has to be slow cooked/roasted and do you have any suggestions for the Beef Rib trim? I also had the Beef for Braising pack which also had a pack of Beef rib trim and I also rec'd a free pack of Lamb bones which I assume I can only use to make stock/soup? Sorry for all the questions but these are cuts that I've never used before and I thought there may be others on here that can benefit from recipes/ideas. Thanks.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• quintwins
    • By quintwins 3rd Mar 11, 2:55 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,575 Thanks
    quintwins

On milk, I can't recommend it enough if you do not want to buy milk often, you cannot freeze milk or you do not like the taste: Cravendale milk lasts 3 weeks unopen and 1 full week once opened. I buy milk only twice a month. Most sm have them always on offer, I currently buy 2 bottles of 2l at 3, so 1.50 each 2l bottle. I know it is a bit more expensive but I worked out how much I was throwing away with other milk because of going off and it worked better for me to pay a bit more initially and never throw any. Plus because it can be in the fridge for about 3 weeks, I rarely have to go running to the shop to top up milk, saving me the trip and money!
    Originally posted by martafdz
    oh dropped me in some milk earlier and it's dated til the 13th hows that even possible it's not even long life milk it's normal cows milk, it won't last til that long, i was only freezing milk to save a shopping trip so i don't end up buying more
    OCT GC 196.12/200
  • supersally01
    Thanks for the tip SCOTSAVER, I managed to make 48 out of the hobnob mix using my measuring spoon, freezing 3/4 of them in three batches. Just left a few out, if any left will take to work tomorrow.
    Went to L!DL, and will update siggi now. Lots of offers there, loads of good gardening bargains!
    Have a good afternoon all!!!
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 3rd Mar 11, 3:49 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    i made pastry last night for my chicken pie, 8 0z flour ( basic mr t)
    2 0z lard and 2 oz marg, all whizzed in mixer and cold water added then chilled in fridge, so sounds exactly same as you had no complaints at dinner last night,

well done NickJW it must be an amazing feelingx
    Originally posted by l.m.hart
    Another NSD here. Dh will do the weeks shop after the children are in bed tonight, but as none of it is going to be eaten today I shall count it as tomorrow. I will be checking I have written down everything I need, everything. I don't want to have to pop to the shops until the weekend or early next week.

Pastry: 8oz plain flour, 4oz butter, pinch of salt, splash of cold water. I roll it to fit in quiche tin, cover and rest in fridge 30mins then chuck fillings in and bake. I cba baking blind. With my leftover pastry trimmings I add some grated cheese and dried sage, roll out, cut into cute rounds, brush with milk and bake. Very nice. DD loves them in her packed lunch box. HTH
    Originally posted by Chloris
    i had been buying ready to roll pastry but looks quite easy to make!!! plus i cant buy ready made sweet patry as im allergic to dairy. So how would i turn it to a sweet pastry?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 3rd Mar 11, 3:51 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,575 Thanks
    quintwins
    i had been buying ready to roll pastry but looks quite easy to make!!! plus i cant buy ready made sweet patry as im allergic to dairy. So how would i turn it to a sweet pastry?
    Originally posted by minnie2
    i use the same pastry for both tbh, but you could add some suagr or honey to the mix i supose
    OCT GC 196.12/200
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 3rd Mar 11, 3:52 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    ok so spend around 80 already but that should keep us going fo ages - except for odds and sods etc.

am tempted to create a weekly food plan but have no idea where to start!!!!!

and this month we are being very frugal now - as havent got as much money coming in!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • rosieben
    oh dropped me in some milk earlier and it's dated til the 13th hows that even possible it's not even long life milk it's normal cows milk, it won't last til that long, i was only freezing milk to save a shopping trip so i don't end up buying more
    Originally posted by quintwins
    like martafdz, I like Cravendale, it lasts absolutely ages, extra filtered or something which is why its more expensive; I still freeze a couple of small bottles for absolute emergencies though

...Well done NICK on clearing your debt i have cleared 2500 from payday companies since the beginning of the year so i am very happy with that. PHEW!!! That will never happen again
    Originally posted by Missus Aka
    Well done Missus! its great to hear stories like this, cheers us all on

... I was looking around yesterday and found this site http://www.slimmingeats.com/blog/ which has lots of recipes for peeps interested in SW, hope that it helps someone. ...
    Originally posted by Sunnyday
    thanks for that link Sunny, I've added it to the recipe index
    Last edited by rosieben; 03-03-2011 at 4:12 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 3rd Mar 11, 4:28 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Just thinking ahead to pancake day next week and wondering what I can do with pancakes to make them into a savoury meal - any ideas?

15 spent so far out the budget and will be going to the shop tomorrow as need a few things for meals otherwise its pasta all next week!
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 3rd Mar 11, 4:29 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    You've done AMAZING MissusAka! This challenge really helps doesn't it? I'm never, ever, getting any credit card or loans out again. From now on I will only spend what I have...and if I want anything nice I will save up for it

Small 1 spend today in Co-op on a pack of mushrooms - will update my signature.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • 123budget
    Have read the Feb grocery challenge but not actually posted a budget before but as spent loads too much in Feb have decided to post a budget for March to try and control my spending. My Month goes from 25th Feb to 25th March as pay day is always 25th of the month. I am starting with what I hope is a relatively realistic budget to start with of 450 for the month but hope that it is possible to get below this.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target 300
    Jan g/c 355.83/450
    g/c Feb487.66/400
    March 411.03/450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 3rd Mar 11, 4:34 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    martafdz ive been taking sumatriptan for a while now and i agree they work not for every migraine but most have you considered asking your gp for some even if you pay for prescripions it would be cheaper i get 6 at a time imagran is just a brand name h t h
    2nd purse challenge no0400 Sealed pot challenge ???? 2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
    • Kitchenbunny
    • By Kitchenbunny 3rd Mar 11, 4:34 PM
    • 1,861 Posts
    • 20,265 Thanks
    Kitchenbunny
    Fedupandskint - I've done several savoury pancake things in the past. The main favourites of ours are:

Cheese & Bacon Pancake Bake - pancakes separating layers of cheesy bacon sauce lasagne-style
    Bolognese pancakes - a Bolognese sauce in rolled up pancakes, sprinkled with grated cheese
    Chicken & mushroom pancakes - as above for the Bolognese pancakes, but using a tin of condensed mushroom soup with some chunks of roast chicken

I always get asked to do the cheese & bacon one, so we'll be having it for Tuesday tea, I think!

HTH

KB xx

• fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 3rd Mar 11, 4:43 PM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Fedupandskint - I've done several savoury pancake things in the past. The main favourites of ours are:

Cheese & Bacon Pancake Bake - pancakes separating layers of cheesy bacon sauce lasagne-style
    Bolognese pancakes - a Bolognese sauce in rolled up pancakes, sprinkled with grated cheese
    Chicken & mushroom pancakes - as above for the Bolognese pancakes, but using a tin of condensed mushroom soup with some chunks of roast chicken

I always get asked to do the cheese & bacon one, so we'll be having it for Tuesday tea, I think!

HTH

KB xx
    Originally posted by Kitchenbunny
    Thanks, they sound lovely! Just deciding which one to go for then have some sweet ones after
    final unsecured debt to repay currently 8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
  • M0neysav3r
    Hi All

Another 10.64 spent today - Although I did get rather alot for my pennies

100 T-bags
    1.5kg sugar
    500ml shower gel
    New toilet brush
    Limescale remover
    Sour cream
    Haribo sweets
    small roasting tin
    Present for ds's friend plus card and wrapping paper
    I guess 4.69 of it isn't technically 'groceries' but i'm going to try to keep all spending below 250 and see how I go
    No Debts (Other than HUGE mortgage! )
    Generally trying to cut back where possible
    GC - March 143.82 / 200 Feb 156.03 / 150 Oops! Jan 180.78/200
    • CherryPie
    • By CherryPie 3rd Mar 11, 6:01 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 5,349 Thanks
    CherryPie
    I've typed 2 posts and then managed to delete them both!!!

Posting a spend of 20.82. Mostly on non groceries. Stocked up on washing liquid, loo roll & softener. I usually only buy Lenor but Comfort was on BOGOF and the pennies are very tight this month.

Going to do some batch cooking 2mo as I'm back at work next week after a few days off. It's very tempting working very close to all of the fast food type places and this doesn't do my purse, or my waistline any good!!
    My name is CherryPie and I'm addicted to grocery shopping!!

Grocery Challenge

Feb 2016 - 46.73 / 100.00
  • Trinny
    Hello OP!

there may be a mistake - i am down for 300 for what i think is monthly spend.

Can you put me down for 60 as target this month.

Thanks

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May 39.47/55. June 47.20/50. July 38.44/50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011
    • Savvy sewing
    • By Savvy sewing 3rd Mar 11, 6:24 PM
    • 10,819 Posts
    • 56,866 Thanks
    Savvy sewing
    My Mr A order came yesterday, 125. But thats the majority of the shopping, except for fruit, veg and bread. (unlss I get successful at making it, which I am not so good at). I have done a menu plan for the whole of March. Bit ambitious but you never know I might manage to follow it. I used to years ago.!
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • quintwins
    • By quintwins 3rd Mar 11, 6:38 PM
    • 5,058 Posts
    • 29,575 Thanks
    quintwins
    well thats my nsd day out the window, sent oh to get the on offer butter cause he was driving his dad in anyway, and after our really pants day he's now away to get us chinese so thats 14 onto my total but i do have 6 454g of butter (odd amount there from lidl lol)
    OCT GC 196.12/200
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,523Posts Today

8,116Users online

Martin's Twitter