Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 79
    • lizzie169
    • By lizzie169 26th Feb 11, 8:43 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    lizzie169
    Hi

Can I be put down for £200 for March please.

I have had my online shop from Te***s which was £76.31 and a small spend at L**l of £3.31. Got all my staples, need to meal plan now and make a list (hopefully small) for any fresh things we need for this week, maybe a chicken and some veg.

I've made rolls rather than bread for the last couple of days for lunches and they are a nice change. I also made a really easy all in one banana bread yesterday which went down well with everyone, I might make another one tomorrow for lunch boxes next week.

Has anyone tried L*dl face moisturiser? I am going to run out soon and was looking at it today, it is £1.99 and wondered if it's worth a try.

Have a good weekend everyone.
    PWx
    Originally posted by Pinwheel
    Hi
    I always use Ald* moisturisers and serums, they are about the same price as L*dl and are always highly rated in the Daily Ma*l. Their serum is better than B**ts and miles cheaper. Having used L*dl body lotion and found it great I would say their moisturisers would be good too.
  • redkids1972
    Hi all
    after much thought I have decided to set my March budget at £300
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, £100
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 26th Feb 11, 8:54 AM
    • 3,992 Posts
    • 24,049 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    I haven't kept track of my food spends this month so have no totals to report. I can safely say however that I more than likely went way over my budget (whatever that was - I can't even remember how much I allowed!!)

I need to plan better (I keep saying this!) but I think the biggest shock for me was popping to my local sainsb$$ys on my way to work the other week for some brandy snap baskets which cost £1.79 but I ended up spending £39.00 ? Ok this did include a half price jumper at £10 but I am really not sure how I managed to spend £29 when all I should have spent was £1.79 on my brandy snaps !!

I have resisted having a home delivery shop today because this seems to be where I overspend. I need to get to grips with my grocery spending in March as this will be an expensive month what with renewal of tv licence and house insurance and the cat is overdue at the vets.

so for March I would like to allow £250

• minnie2
    • By minnie2 26th Feb 11, 8:55 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    ok so I am declaring £138 out of £150 so £12 under budget

but over spent in other areas

And please put me down for £150 for March please
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
    • minnie2
    • By minnie2 26th Feb 11, 8:56 AM
    • 513 Posts
    • 8,701 Thanks
    minnie2
    is the march thread up and running? i cant seem to find it!!!!
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • JayJay14
    March thread should be up and running on Monday.
  • WelshWoofer
    Spent £45.50 at Mr T's today - 50p over budget! But I do have everything we need for the week unless I've forgotten something.

It was mostly fresh fruit and veg and dairy with a few storecupboard bits and soap and shower gel. Didn't look like much to me for £45!

Good food is sooooo expensive these days! I'm on SW too so need to buy mostly fresh unprocessed stuff - never the cheapest option.

Will carry on with it though as the scales say that I've lost 3lbs this week
    January grocery spending - £82.73/ £120
    • hex2
    • By hex2 26th Feb 11, 9:41 AM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    My current spend is £368.09 against a budget of £450! Unheard of for me, but I had stocked up on a lot of household stuff recently and a change in circumstances means I simply haven't time to shop. Junk food budget is probably over by the same amount.....

Welshwoofer - congrats on the weightloss. Try building in some frozen fruit/veg as well- still sliiming world but cheaper.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • fedupandskint
    • By fedupandskint 26th Feb 11, 10:00 AM
    • 10,351 Posts
    • 97,525 Thanks
    fedupandskint
    Oh dear busted the budget yesterday in Mr T on my last shop of the month with a spend of £11.18

Declaring with a total of £140.79/£140 Oh no 79p over budget!

Never mind, right then budget for will remain the same for March at £140
    final unsecured debt to repay currently £8333
    Proud to be Dealing With my Debt
    DFW Nerd 1154 Long Haul 155
    • nmlc
    • By nmlc 26th Feb 11, 10:05 AM
    • 3,536 Posts
    • 49,219 Thanks
    nmlc
    Morning all

PLEASE PUT MY DOWN FOR £375 FOR MARCH GC MRS M - WILL DECLARE FOR FEB IN THE WEEK

I'm already overspent so hoping not to spend any more this week, will have to wait and see how it goes.

nmlc x
    WEIGHTLOSS SINCE JUNE 2009 - 5 ST 2LB
    • greent
    • By greent 26th Feb 11, 10:07 AM
    • 8,192 Posts
    • 83,221 Thanks
    greent
    Declaring Feb's spends at £427.88 against £425 - slightly over. I've taken into account tomorrow's newspaper in that figure, too.

Am setting MArch at £400. I really should try and get it lower as OH hasn't worked since Dec, but am really struggling to do so at the mo Am going to go on a bit of a storecupboard 'shop' and see if that helps.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £518.64/£500
  • Hippeechiq

Cheese and Onion Pasties. I had made a note to try these from a recipe someone had posted making these with mashed potato but now I can't find it in the recipe collection. Does anyone have a simila recipe? Thank you
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Is this it XSpender?
    Well I made some shortcrust pastry with 8 oz plain flour and 4 oz trex(or stork or whatever)
    I cut out circles-a teaplate is about right-or a saucer-about 6" accross.
    I put dollops of mashed potato(I had leftover mash)onion,chees and some mixed herbs onto each one, folded over in pasty shapes and brushed with beaten egg. Could have used dices pots but wanted to use up the mash! Baked at gas 5 until nice and golden.
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    It's in the recipe index under.....well......Cheese & Onion Pasties

MRSMCAWBER Could you please put Hippeechiq down for £250 for March please
    I've already reduced it this year from £275 to £250 and I really don't think I can comfortably get it any lower. I always struggled at £275, but I'm having to really work my backside off to bring it in at or around £250.
    Last edited by Hippeechiq; 26-02-2011 at 10:29 AM.
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 26th Feb 11, 10:36 AM
    • 3,410 Posts
    • 34,908 Thanks
    XSpender
    Is this it XSpender?

It's in the recipe index under.....well......Cheese & Onion Pasties
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    That's it! Thank you so much for finding it. Gawd knows where I was looking
    October Grocery Challenge - £277.74/£220
  • Candy Belle

Happy Weekend!

Hugs & prayers to all that need them at this time.

Just a few spends yesterday - did my weekly shop at A**i and spent £17.04 - did get 2 bottles of red wine but thats not included in the GC budget. OH invited a friend round for tea last night and went to pick up a "few things" from sainsbugs.....hmmm £13.66 later!!!!!!! Was not impressed! I wonder why we are only just scrapping in on the GC!!!!!! x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • elfen
    Can I be put for 120 next month please?
    ** Total debt: £6950.82 ± May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -£152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 26th Feb 11, 10:49 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Hi cutiepieabf - I love the look of your menu plan. We have lots of meals similar to yours. Can you tell me how to do the mustard honey mash? Also is your chicken in white wine from a tin or home made? Recipe please!
    Originally posted by TheBees
    Chicken in white wine sauce

4 boneless chicken breasts
    8oz mushrooms
    2 shallots
    1/4 pint white wine
    1/2 pint double cream
    parsley, salt & pepper

- Coat chicken breasts in flour and fry for 5mins on each side.
    - Chop mushrooms and shallots and add to same pan and fry for 2-3 mins.
    - Add wine to pan stirring continuously for 2mins. If you can safely tilt the pan to set the wine alight this helps to burn off the alcohol.
    - Turn the pan down so it cools slightly and add cream and parsley. (If the wine is too hot the cream will separate). Stir continously until sauce thickens.
    - Serve with new potatoes and veg. mmmmmm

Enjoy!
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
  • LittleMissHappy
    Hi everyone

I think I went about £50 over budget this month and am amending March grocery budget to £250 to make things a bit easier for me. It is for myself, DH, DS1 (10), DS2 (8) and DD (5) - the children eat almost as much as the adults and although I know I can keep it below £200, we can afford to spend a bit more - I am just trying to save as much as possible So will add £50 a month to get extra treats (like strawberries and raspberries!)

Hope everyone else is doing well I pledge to stay in budget in March
    Be the change you want to see in the world - Gandhi
    OU - DD100 (P ), DSE141 (D ), DSE212 (P ), ED209 (02/12), DXR222 (07/12) SD226 (02/13)
  • HowlinWolf
    Just popping in to report that we are very slightly overbudget for the year so far at 404.92. Signature updated, roll on payday!
    Sealed pot member 735
    Frugal Living Challenge 2011
    GC 2011 404.92/2400
    • SilverBird
    • By SilverBird 26th Feb 11, 11:13 AM
    • 251 Posts
    • 2,107 Thanks
    SilverBird
    I'm declaring a total GC spend of £198.73 for February.
    #Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain #We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us #If you focus on what you have left behind, you will never see what lies ahead - Gusteau/Ratatouille
    GC 2018: £2,104.01/£2,160 total spend
  • LondonDreamer
    £13.58 spent this morning in Mr T, including £2.75 on some gorgeous whoopsied rainbow tulips. ONE of them had a single petal falling off and they marked them down. They're now making my lounge cheery. £7.99 spent in the health food shop, including a £5 indulgence on dairy free coconut ice cream for me. Then £1.19 in the corner shop for DH's favourite thai noodles. Excluding the tulips, that's £20.01 for me and hopefully the last spend of the month. So I'm going to declare £85.42/£100.00 for February!

Will probably need a few bits and pieces after I've done the meal plan for next week, but will put those into March's budget as it starts on Monday and I have everything I need for the weekend already.

Will need to buy more next month as the freezer has less in it and it's a longer month, so can I please be put down for £150 for March?

Well done everyone!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

316Posts Today

4,310Users online

Martin's Twitter