Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 73
  • TheBees
    Hi cutiepieabf - I love the look of your menu plan. We have lots of meals similar to yours. Can you tell me how to do the mustard honey mash? Also is your chicken in white wine from a tin or home made? Recipe please!
    Mortgage Free in 3 part 2 challenge - pay off £9000
    Sealed Pot Challenge 416 - target £500
  • cat_smith
    cutiepieabf Love the menu plan. What is the w.g mustard seed mash? Sounds interesting.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
    • dingdongavon
    • By dingdongavon 23rd Feb 11, 8:37 PM
    • 202 Posts
    • 671 Thanks
    dingdongavon
    Well I was going to do the G.C on a monthly basis starting on the first monday of each month but how now decided to do it 4 weekly starting on the day OH gets paid as that is 4 weekly so my March budget starts on friday so will keep my eye out for that thread and join offically then. I am aiming at £260 for the 4 weeks.
    Last edited by dingdongavon; 24-02-2011 at 12:50 PM.
    • debtfreewannabe321
    • By debtfreewannabe321 23rd Feb 11, 8:43 PM
    • 6,623 Posts
    • 22,333 Thanks
    debtfreewannabe321
    Well i'm going away tomorrow until Sunday (and new month begins on monday) and i didn't have any food in today -or so i thought lol, but i was very good and made a pizza ( i usually buy shop ones so this is good for me!) and lemon drizzle cake- in the slow cooker! and it was delicious!! and because i used up the tomatoes that were getting a bit squishy and the last slab of cheese, and few slices of ham left i haven't wasted any food this week! this is a biggy for me as i always seem to be throwing things away!! Just really hoping I can stay in budget now for the weekend!!!
    2015 Goals:-#1 419.26/1000 (Emergency..target #1) 41.93% , #2- 14,010.70/15,000 (new house) 93.4% #3 395.07/1000 (Rental house fund target #1) 39.5% .
    Aim High!
    Debt-Free in 2013. Saving for a better future
  • janie-h
    Hi all

Haven't posted for aaaages! - but have kept all receipts

Here goes...

A**i - £54.92
    L**l - £4.45, £7.62
    C**p - £5.95
    HBargs - £12.60
    Msons - £21.29

Total = £106.83

Will update sig. Haven't spent a lot this month but been mainly living out of freezer/cupboards, pain medication being altered and not coping very well with it at the mo and also stopped smoking and not popping in to shop for cigs also means no impulse/expensive buys. Will need to shop later this week though so will declare for Feb after that.

When I get myself sorted out better I must go back to meal planning as I did find it worked for me, but TBH at the moment I don't know how I will feel daily so any plans often go out the window!

Anyway, hope you are all keeping well and managing your budgets x
  • rachelww1
    and also stopped smoking
    Originally posted by janie-h
    Well done
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt £41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings £250
    2013 OP £3500
  • katholicos
    Sorry haven't been around much, Dad passed away on Sunday. Have done some grocery shopping for bits and bobs but haven't done a proper shop or anything. I hope to get back on track in March and may just come in under budget by the end of Feb but i can;t be keeping tabs on grocery spends right now. Still i want to keep things as normal as possible (for the sake of my sanity, no joke)and that's why i'm logging in. Hope you are all doing okay :-)
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • Sparklyfairy
    • By Sparklyfairy 23rd Feb 11, 10:17 PM
    • 751 Posts
    • 1,539 Thanks
    Sparklyfairy
    ((HUGS)) katholicos, I can only imagine how you must be feeling. XXX
  • destroyerofdebt2011
    Hugs and spoons to all you underspenders, overspenders and on budget ppl no further spends to declare. Im still running on febs food. Had a very happy accident with a glass of red wine and a cheap pack of £50p value sausages (the skins broke not surprisingly) from Mr T thats been turned into an incredibly scrummy Lasagna thats made 4 servings 3 of which are now in the freezer.

Pack of value sausages (out of the skins so ur left with the sausage meat)
    Tin of value tomatoes
    1 chopped onion
    value lasagna sheets
    Glass of red wine & a few dried herbs (oregano etc)
    Packet of Instant Cheese sauce (it was quicker than making a white sauce from scratch and i was feeling lazy)
    And a little grated cheese to top

Made me 4 portions of lasagna so real bargin!

LO rice salad for lunch 2morrow and jacket potato and Tuna planned for tomorrows Dinner.

Hopefully my final declare for Feb will stand at the £42.88 im currently sitting at.
    HSBC £3223.20 £2060.00
    Cap1 £1724.91 £1782.00
    OD £939.78 £200.00
    No 49 of £2012 in 2012.. £645.10 so far & Crazy Clothes £14.09/£100.00 ReducingtheToiletryStash2012 UU12/IN 20 March Grocery 0.00/£65.00 & LbsNot£s Lost 14Lbs
    • nat21luv
    • By nat21luv 23rd Feb 11, 11:06 PM
    • 3,365 Posts
    • 27,397 Thanks
    nat21luv
    Yoo hoooo!

Any space for a newbie?!

Put me down for £250 in March- the OH starts his new job in London on 14th and will be away 10 days out of 14 () but he will be replaced with foreign students from Austria who will probably only want the finest...Oh and I've got a 7yr old and a 12 month old who eats like a horse! Must'nt forget the cat too...

So I hope £250 will cover food and toiletries inc nappies ect.. If not the Austrians will experience 'weetabix cake' and 'if-its' for the very first time!!!
    £12k in 2019 #=
    £30k by Jan 2020= £% £10 a day = £366.23 / £500

**MONEY MAKES ME HAPPY**
  • rosieben
    Destroyerofdebt I've added your lasagne recipe to the front page index

There's always room for one more on the GC, nat21luv, welcome! Mrs Mc will be along to add you to the front page list soon

if you put your budget figure in red text its easier for MrsMc to spot
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • wmf
    • By wmf 24th Feb 11, 4:37 AM
    • 1,800 Posts
    • 21,646 Thanks
    wmf
    (((hugs))) Katholicos
    W
    • skilly
    • By skilly 24th Feb 11, 6:08 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    So sorry for your loss katholicos.
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 24th Feb 11, 6:55 AM
    • 3,346 Posts
    • 34,469 Thanks
    XSpender
    Katholicos - sorry for yor loss

I will need to buy a tub of formula today and some potatoes as I used the last sprouty ones last night to top a new cottage pie recipe. I had really gone off my cottage pie but this was nice so I will stick to this recipe in future.

DH will be late in tonight as he is at a meeting in Birmingham so I need the potatoes for a quick sausage and HM oven chip tea. If he was in earlier I would have done something with rice to save my budget but he will want stodge.

I have a friend coming over tomorrow for coffee so I will have to make a cake to eat and one for her to take home. They popped in on Sunday and her daughter aged 4 kept asking her Mum for cake as they always have it at my house but I was not expecting them so the tin was empty
  • 123budget
    unused soft cereal??
    I seem to have a couple of half full boxes of cereal that were shoved to the back of the cupboard by kids who were not keen on them. Some very sticky/soft sugar puffs and some Honey nut cornflakes also very soft. - Anyone got any ideas to use them up - pref something that can be made into lunch box snacks. Am very reluctant to just throw them out so would be grateful for any suggestions - I know how resourceful you all are
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2011 / no. 1205 £110 made]Sealed Pot Challenge 2012/no 1205 target £300
    Jan g/c 355.83/£450
    g/c Feb487.66/£400
    March 411.03/£450
    To feed 5 adults and 2 dogs includes toiletries & cleanining
  • goodgirl80
    Hi Tessa,

I don't know whether canneloni tubes are expensive or not but you can use pancakes to make canneloni. Just make the pancakes (not too thick), put the mince mix in, roll up put in dish, cover with cheese or white sauce, sprinkle with grated hard cheese (cheddar, parmesan, etc) pop in the oven to bake until golden on top. You could always add some crunchy bits to the cheese if you like that and I'm sure it would work with Mothership's (I think) idea of greasing the baking dish first and then adding ??? was it cheese? breadcrumbs? Please would you clarify Mothership?

Spigs
    Originally posted by Spiggle

You could use tortilla wraps. I used these to make a lasgne thing and it was yum!
    • never too old
    • By never too old 24th Feb 11, 7:57 AM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 31,083 Thanks
    never too old
    katholicos thinking of you, lost both parents in very early 20s so understand what your going through
    £2019 in 2019 challenge no 18
    1% challenge no 70
    2019 Frugal Living Challenge

£1560.87 / 2019
    0%/100%
  • helen jelly
    Katholica - so sorry to hear your sad news

Jaine-h - well done on the no smoking

Planning a shop for Monday [payday] and trying to get lots so that I don't have to go back again for another week or two

Helen x
    Projects made for craft fair - 40
    1st fair on 13/4/14
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 24th Feb 11, 8:19 AM
    • 4,324 Posts
    • 29,765 Thanks
    tessie bear
    katholicos...im sorry to hear your sad news...sending you virtual hugs and support

thank u to posters ideas for canneloni substitutes...ill let u know how i get on with that

our half term is dragging somewhat...cant think of much to do when its raining...roll on the better weather...it has however given me the chance to use a bit of stuff out of the freezer which cant be bad....going to make hm burgers and jacket pots for tea..

if anyone has a costco card or acess to one can i say how great the eggs are...really fresh and quite cheap...oh and their mince is great too

tata tessa
    onwards and upwards
    • nessie216
    • By nessie216 24th Feb 11, 8:53 AM
    • 839 Posts
    • 5,176 Thanks
    nessie216
    I seem to have a couple of half full boxes of cereal that were shoved to the back of the cupboard by kids who were not keen on them. Some very sticky/soft sugar puffs and some Honey nut cornflakes also very soft. - Anyone got any ideas to use them up - pref something that can be made into lunch box snacks. Am very reluctant to just throw them out so would be grateful for any suggestions - I know how resourceful you all are
    Originally posted by 123budget
    Could you not make cornflake cakes? I.e. pour melted chocolate over them & put in cupcake cases?

Sure you could do that with both types?

I am at the thought of it - shame i wouldn't be able to eat them! Too much temptation in my house!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,646Posts Today

8,937Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin