Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 69
  • elfen
    Spend 60 on the shopping, did a big one so that's me for the month and declared ar just under 150
    ** Total debt: 6950.82 May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
    • catslovelycats
    • By catslovelycats 21st Feb 11, 3:46 PM
    • 1,684 Posts
    • 11,207 Thanks
    catslovelycats
    Gracious another month nearly done.
    Be Christmas soon...
    Please put me down for 250 again for March.
    Being on 1/2 term is certainly helping me keep inside my food budget for the month.
    Can't say the same about my other spending....
    • laineyc
    • By laineyc 21st Feb 11, 4:39 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 5,215 Thanks
    laineyc
    I have ordered my meat for the month. I am going to get weekly fruit boxes and see how it goes. My Tesco shop comes on Wednesday. We are in Scotland for a long weekend so no cooking this weekend. Tomorrow will be the last of the meat in the freezer. I have a stock of a lot of staples now so I think my spending will be more under control this month. Paid for the new boiler today (ouch). I am looking forward to a warm house and hot water when I get back from my parents.

I think that if I get my budget down to 400 eventually, I will be happy with that.
    GC 2011 Feb 626.89/450 NSD3/7 March 531.26/450 April 495.99/500 NSD 0/7 May 502.79/500
    June 511.99/480 July 311.56/480
    • findingmyfeet
    • By findingmyfeet 21st Feb 11, 4:54 PM
    • 494 Posts
    • 5,666 Thanks
    findingmyfeet
    hello everyone,

i really need to rejoin this challenge as i have started to slip and fell off the wagon during january and february. so would like to be back in for march please.

MRS M could you please put me in for 280.00 for march

off to meal plan and write up the shopping list for the next few weeks.
    thank you
    sealed pot member no :435 2011- 306.68 2012-304.36 2013- 387.44 2014 - 441.43 482.30
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 21st Feb 11, 6:34 PM
    • 4,323 Posts
    • 29,757 Thanks
    tessie bear
    its raining....
    hi....hope everyone is well...we have had a at home day due to rain on halfterm...it was cheap but boring...hopefully tomorrow weather will be better...i did get the chance to make a chilli using costco mince...it was great fine mince which i like...it is a relief that it is good because i purchased a massive pack

got to do a bit of meal planning and i want to pop to aldi to get some of the 30p veg..it changes on sunday so need to get there this week

our cake tin is empty so will need to sort that out at some point

happy half term
    tessa
    onwards and upwards
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - just logged on to update my total with small spend in Lid!. Keeping my fingers crossed that we will make it to Saturday without overspending but running low on fruit and veg, will try to hold out until Wednesday.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Long tall sally
    Well what can I say?!!! I have gone waaay over budget this month & that has included using 49 worth of vouchers for Mr Ts! The only bonus is that I am well stocked up on cereals & washing liquid but did however forget to get disposable dish clothes today plus we will probably need milk or bread before the week is out. Off to a friend's in London tomorrow so will get fed there. When I get back Wednesday I am going to attempt a meal plan.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
  • supersally01
    Evening all, just had to update siggi as OH decided to spend 20 on rubbish at Mr T's whilst I was working this weekend. think he was feeling hard done by, as nothing much in the fridge, as it is nearing the end of the month. Still, done well and on the right track to start march. Have a good night All!
  • redkids1972
    Feb budget was well over target but stocked on pet food for march in the budget so not to bad. After some thought Im going to up the budget for March to 300.
    I feel this is more realistic budget for me so fingers crossed I will manage it.
    New to comping 11/2/2013

Feb wins to date: 0lympic messenger bag, 100
  • Hippeechiq
    Nice to see so many people coming in under budget - well done everyone

And to those who aren't - don't be downhearted. It's not easy when the price of food is escalating at the rate it is

Been totally unmotivated today. It's rained pretty much all day, and that is the forecast up to and including this coming Saturday (apart from Thursday) Jeez, but I've had my absolute FILL of sodding rain!
    All I did today was to write up (no printer) 7 recipes from the numerous recipes I've saved when roaming the web......7 down, about 93 to go! lol

So - a NSD here today, but need to buck my ideas up and do some housework and get out and about tomorrow......in the rain......yay
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
  • martafdz
    Has anyone got a good recipe (so easy and cheap, lol) for either Cottage Pie or Sheppherd's Pie? I have some mince meat that I wanted to use that way. I haven't found a recipe for this in the index and before making any random online recipe I thought I could ask and see if you had any advice/ideas.
    Quit smoking *1st January 2010*

13/12/2012, baby girl!!!
  • rachelww1
    Just on to update sig (again ). I forgot it was half term and the gannets would be home all day. Spent another 31.58 in T$scos tonight. Only got 3 things that weren't on my list inc 24 pouches of cat food reduced to 3.82 because the box was broken! And a smoked gammon joint on offer at 3.99 per kg - that's about to go in the slow cooker overnight in a bit of apple juice and will be used for sarnies and as many meals as I can stretch it to. Oh and I got 4 mugs that were 10p each.

Pretty sure that's me done for feb, but I'll declare on thurs when my month finishes. MIL has DS6 on weds, so going to do an inventory, then I'll decide what to budget for March. I have his party to cater for so will have to factor that in, though I'm not going overboard as I have done in previous years. At least I'm doing better than the 100+ a week that I was spending before I joined here.
    LBM Dec 10. Total unsecured debt 41176 Nov 12 Debt Free Thanks Mum x RIP x

2013 Savings 250
    2013 OP 3500
  • seductivesmile
    Has anyone got a good recipe (so easy and cheap, lol) for either Cottage Pie or Sheppherd's Pie? I have some mince meat that I wanted to use that way. I haven't found a recipe for this in the index and before making any random online recipe I thought I could ask and see if you had any advice/ideas.
    Originally posted by martafdz
    Hi Martafdz,
    My method/ recipes for shepherds pie,
    ~ 200g Mince Meat
    ~100g Rehydrated soya mince (in boiling water with an beef oxo)
    1 carrot grated
    1 diced onion
    Tin Baked Beans
    Tin / Handful of peas / green beans
    Dash Worc Sauce
    Tomato Puree
    seasoning
    Beef stock cube

I make up the stock with the stock cube and pop the soya mince, worcester sauce, tomato puree in together and leave the mince to rehydrate,
    Brown of the mince and diced onion, add the rehydrated soya mince, stir in the carrot, and tin of baked beans and peas/ green beans. add boiling water if too thick, season to taste, stir for about 5 mins, top with mash potato and then if u want sliced tomato or cheese and pop in the oven, gas 5, 190C for about half an hour
    HTH, soya mince bulks it out so i tend to get 5 portions from this.

I nipped into Mr T on my way home from work, needed some bread & eggs for lunch tomorrow, and wasn't going to get home til 10 after helping dad, picked up pitta bread, reduced salad, and lots of reduced sliced Mr T finest Deli Meats, from about 3 odd to between 20-50p each, so for a total of 2.54 i got 24 sandwich fillers of premium tasty meat! , also in the reduced section i got 2 blocks of 300g of cheese, so 600g for 91p. going to grate it into portions and freeze! woo! so 24 portions of cheese! thats 48 sandwich fillers for 3.45!
    so much for not going to the shop. haha - oh well, guess its a spend to save!
    Anyhow - was a spend of 7.08, used 6 of vouchers, so only really 1.08. happy happy!

Have a good tomorrow all!

SS x
    Each day is a new beginning, look at what you have an be grateful for every tiny thing. You don't know when it may be taken away.
    • sorting myself out
    • By sorting myself out 21st Feb 11, 10:37 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    sorting myself out
    Well today i had a day off and i made my first batch of twinks hobnobs and they are soooo nice!!! Thanks for the recipe!! Had a trip to Mr m's 1st and have done my last shop of the month, just a top up came in at 24.32...so i think i will be coming in under budget, my month runs to wed 2nd....meal planned up til then, only will need milk i hope! Having the challenge has kept me on track and having stocked up slightly this month, next should hopefully be alittle easier!! Will update signature!
    Debt free since July 2013 - Saving for a rainy day ☔️☔️☀️☀️
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 21st Feb 11, 10:58 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,542 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent €62.14 this week, bringing my running total to €142.97, still some meat left in freezer so hopefully will make it this month, had a terrible month in Jan, so due to keep myself in line!

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • rosieben
    seductivesmile - I've added your shepherd's pie recipe to the index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Candy Belle
    Morning

A few spends to report from yesterday

A**a - 2.07 Dusters, Jay Cloths and Dettol Wipes
    W****s - 4.68 12xFelix Pouches

Total Spend 6.75

Would like to thank everyone on this thread for the support and advise that you all share x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May 177.04/235.00 Apr 237.79/235.00 Mar 226.16 /235.00
    G/C - Jan 248.52/235.00 - Feb214.72/235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
  • Winged one
    I spent €49 over the weekend. Went to Farmer's market and spent €10 on 3 packs of spices for curry (great mixes though), €9 on 3 bottles of apple juice (the man was off the ciggies so grumpy and let me have an extra euro off), and €13 on cheese (a slab of blue and a slab of local cheddar) and olives. Then €18 in SV last night - €9 on chicken breasts, and then bread, milk and flu remedy.

We made a curry last night when we got in (just a jar), and I got a spag bol from the freezer for tonight. I have pumpkin soup for lunch. Then I will have pasta vongole (clams) on Thursday, perhaps a nasi goreng tomorrow with frozen rice or else chicken and a jar of different sauce, and a beef stew on Friday.

DD wants to get a pack of pizza dough at the farmer's market next Sat, so that will be Sat dinner for all.
    GC 2010 6,000/ 5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: 6,000/
    5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr 587.82/550 May 453.31 /550
  • funnyflipp
    After comming on here regularly and setting myself a totally unrealistic Feb buget I will try again
    Aimed for 350 in Feb HOWEVER forgot that I had a house guest for most of the month (Adult and male!)
    Also think it might be better to try and reign things in a little more slowly
    SO I did come in at 35 less than last month so I'll settle for that, I have enough to last until Friday but then still have a full freezer
    My month runs from 25th-25th so as of Friday I will be aiming for 450.00 in March, I know most of you guys would think that's huge but I think cutting back bit by bit is going
    to be better in the long run

xx
    112121.02 10 Years and counting!
    Target in 2011 22K /10646.97 DFD Feb 2017
    42Lbs /23 Down 19 to go!
    So now I just need to keep going!
    Nearly half way through the year and I'm still here
  • goodgirl80
    final week
    Went to Laldi and Addl last night, spent 6.89
    87.44/ 100.00

I'm a bit cross though because last time I bought two large milks and got one out of the freezer the other day and it's already gone off
    Going to try buying less milk this week, Although we're both off work next week so will be using more. I think I'll get 2x 4 pinters instead of the 3 litre ones.

Remaining to buy: Milk, Cat treats, Quorn pieces, foil, quorn sandwich chicken slices, spread(margarine).

10.00 spent on a cat toilet and crickets 80.55/ 100.00

OK - I don't think I've spent any more of my groceries budget, but my bank account I use for bills isn't tallying with my spreadsheet... I think I'll leave it a couple of days because sometimes transactions take a while to appear. Hope everyone is getting on ok.

My spreadsheet is showing about +18p overall. Don't know why
    Originally posted by goodgirl80
    Last edited by goodgirl80; 22-02-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,251Posts Today

7,988Users online

Martin's Twitter