Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    • 9,343Posts
    • 17,889Thanks
    zippychick
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge
    • 24th Jan 11, 3:50 PM
    February 2011 Grocery Challenge 24th Jan 11 at 3:50 PM
    Hi Everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2011

This is my first time starting the thread so EEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKK! It's a bit scary.

Pink, you're not going to shout at me are you? Just thought I would have try to help you out and have a bash at it myself this month. Credit where it's due Pink - this thing has pickled me brain!

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    For quidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5, #6 and #7 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month. Hope it's a good one for all of us.

Zip
    Last edited by zippychick; 28-01-2011 at 8:44 PM.
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

Page 55
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 14th Feb 11, 8:56 PM
    • 381 Posts
    • 3,682 Thanks
    mummyjane
    A £41.30 spend for me today in Mr W. This included a special steak dinner and card/gifts for dh plus more fresh fruit and veg which was whoopsied.

Have decided to wait until next week before ordering another shop from sainsbugs. I actually did an inventory of my freezers today and found 16 meals for dh and myself (the kids have different foods mainly because of ds). Scary stuff and to think I would normally have had another weeks worth coming today - no surprise really that we used to waste so much food
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan £462.44/£400
    Feb £210.10/£450, 2/10 NSDs
  • Zend
    Febuary Grocery Challenge
    So far have spent £40. Valentines dinner was the party food left in the freezer, originally bought for Christmas. Hopefully, just bread and milk to buy for the rest of the month.
    January spend = £100
    Spent =
    saving =
    • sorting myself out
    • By sorting myself out 14th Feb 11, 9:23 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 583 Thanks
    sorting myself out
    A NSD day today!!!!! Its been a while!.....Thanks for all the suggestions for soups i'll give them a go next week! If i can manage to get to the end of this week with my budget in tack i should be fine for the remaining week and a bit until pay day on the 2nd March! Fingers crossed! For all you who are struggling, chin up and dont be so hard on yourselves...its taken me just under 2 years to sort my spending habits out to a degree that i feel comforable with, i have even started saving! Not alot but something to aim for and treat myself with!! Thinking of doing some baking this week..... and thats all thanks to the supportive posts that get put on here! Thanks Guys
    Debt free since July 2013 - Saving for a rainy day ☔️☔️☀️☀️
  • Mothership
    Trip to Morrisons with DD2 wasn't too bad. I got a few reduced items and a good deal for the 2nd purse

Feb GC
    4 bottles innocent juice @ 99p each
    1 gold Pineapple @ £1
    1 Demerara Sugar @ £1.39
    1 Bag Oranges @ 90p
    1 small loaf 9p
    4 Cinamon & Raisin Bagels 50p
    Pack of Lamb bones 27p
    Total spend £8.41

2nd Purse
    10 packs of 2 cistern blocks @ 30p ea
    4 pack of Sugar puffs B1G1F 2 for £2.98
    2 Lemon juices @ 24p ea
    2 golden Syrup @ 49p ea
    4 White wine vinegar B1G1F 2 for £1.39

Total spent £12.98 total saved this shop £8.94

3rd Purse
    Donald Russell order £123 Delivery on 29/04/2011
    2 Braising Boxes £39 ea
    1 Premium Steak Selection £29
    2 diced fillet Steak @ £8 each

I had to order the above as the offers were due to expire soon, there's another due on the 25th, that should give us plenty of time to eat space in the freezer.
    Last edited by Mothership; 14-02-2011 at 9:57 PM.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • Missus Aka
    Have had a total of 8 NSD's so far so looking like i will probably beat last months 11, am currently on £117.33/£135 of my budget so i have £17.67 of my budget still left to cover pitta bread, salam, chicken breasts, green peppers, cucumber, spread cheese and drinks. Will manage and i have a few bits that will get left over for next month as well. Was looking at my bank statements from 2009 and i spent £266 on just my online te$cos shopping in one month and thats not even including my top up shops or my regular trips to the turkish shops!!!! Im scared to think what the total for that month would have been about £400+ EEEEEEKKKK!!! Well at least its well under control now and i managed to pay £1000 off my debt so only have £932 left, am so happy with that its like a weight has been lifted (they are from payday companies with MASSIVE interest) finally feel like im back in control of things
    SPC Member#1096 Target £150 Feb Count £82.18
    Aug Make£5P.DayChal £0/£155
    My August £100 Grocery Challenge £49.90/£100
  • youngmummy
    hi all i just brought milk today. ive kinda lost track tho just like i have with my frugal spending challange.
    imade flapjacks yesterday and homemade bread
    brought 2 books today from my local shop £1 each the mobney goes towards the school or anythink else that needs funding in the village. got to get some loo roll later on in the week but over all im doing ok ive spent around £20 more than what it says in my sig so will update. dont have a clue where i am with my fugal living challange tho
    (#80 save 12k in 2015) aim £10,000
    make £10 a day in 2015 £261/£4000
    emergency fund aim £100/£1000
    £1 a day for xmas 2015 £0/£365
    NSD feb 0/16
    feb GC £0/£120
  • tracey_h
    Hi all.

Just sat and added my totals up so far for Feb. Im at £217.63 so far this month with a budget of £250. Maybe i was being a bit harsh with the budget this only being my 2nd month at the GC but im hoping not to go too far over. Fridge and freezer both full as well as plenty of tins and packets to use. Hopefully Bread and milk and a bit of fruit and veg should do the next two weeks.

Txx
    £365 in 365 days Dec10-Dec11 Member #36 £92/365.
    Member of the Thrifty Gifty - Money making and Organised for Christmas 2011 boards
    Grocery Challenge Jan £337.17/£400
    Feb £374.24/£250 March £27.04/£300
    • JulieGeorgiana
    • By JulieGeorgiana 15th Feb 11, 5:08 AM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 12,987 Thanks
    JulieGeorgiana
    Forgot to post my second 4 week period of this year!

For the period 21/01/11 - 17/02/11 I spent £207.14 of my £220.00 budget

My year to date spend is £366.47
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Overpayments Made: £5400 - Interest Saved: £11,550 - Months Saved: 24
    • happycrafter
    • By happycrafter 15th Feb 11, 6:17 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 4,543 Thanks
    happycrafter
    Just about to start feb challenge, so I emptied my purse and I had 89p left from last months budget

so January was £249.11/£250

hopefully Feb will be in budget as well
  • Candy Belle

Morning All

Just a small spend to report from yesterday £3.40 in W****'s for 5xtinned cat food.

Have a g8t day everyone x
    Grocery Challange for DH, Me & 2 Fussy Cats (inc Grocerys, Cleaning Products & Cat Food)
    G/C -May £177.04/£235.00 Apr £237.79/£235.00 Mar £226.16 /£235.00
    G/C - Jan £248.52/£235.00 - Feb£214.72/£235.00
    NSD -May 3/31 Apr 10/30 Mar 3/31 Feb 6/28 NSD Jan 3/31
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 15th Feb 11, 7:24 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Have had a total of 8 NSD's so far so looking like i will probably beat last months 11, am currently on £117.33/£135 of my budget so i have £17.67 of my budget still left to cover pitta bread, salam, chicken breasts, green peppers, cucumber, spread cheese and drinks. Will manage and i have a few bits that will get left over for next month as well. Was looking at my bank statements from 2009 and i spent £266 on just my online te$cos shopping in one month and thats not even including my top up shops or my regular trips to the turkish shops!!!! Im scared to think what the total for that month would have been about £400+ EEEEEEKKKK!!! Well at least its well under control now and i managed to pay £1000 off my debt so only have £932 left, am so happy with that its like a weight has been lifted (they are from payday companies with MASSIVE interest) finally feel like im back in control of things
    Originally posted by Missus Aka
    Well done MissusAka!! I know how you feel with payday companies. I was in the same situation before this challenge - always getting a new one out every month to cover the shortfall in the money. It's a viscous cycle once you start because they seem like such an easy option.
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • cat_smith
    Had the first of our Donald Russell delivery last night. The steak was amazing. Succulent and delicious. Hope the rest is of the same standard.
    GC Mar 13 £47.36/£150
  • Mothership
    Had the first of our Donald Russell delivery last night. The steak was amazing. Succulent and delicious. Hope the rest is of the same standard.
    Originally posted by cat_smith
    It is! But be warned once you've tried their stuff its hard to go back the way. I still have some supermarket meat in the freezer and I have to make curries etc with it, just so my family will eat it. The only meat thats half decent is the Oakham chicken from M&S.
    I'm in the process of running my freezer stock down and refilling with DR meats. It appears expensive but if you get their offers etc, its no more expensive than M&S. I'd rather have less meat of better quality.
    1st Purse £114.19 Monthly GB
    2nd Purse ££100
    Fridge Freezer £300 3rd Purse /£290.94
  • rosieben
    martafd, your Raspberry Frozen Yogurt Ice Cream recipe, and karmachilovething, your Leek and Lentil Soup recipe are both added to the front recipe index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Shysarah
    Ooooh

I have gone a bit astray I really need to be more strict but well least I can be honest..

£3 spend in Morri$ons on sweets, bread and cheesecake slices
    £18.96 in Sainsbugs on veg, meat, bread and a few other bits including comfort foods as I am missing my Man.

This takes me up to £55.14 of my £55 budget.
    Still I am returning to work in a few weeks so will be better off and really must sort out the huge amount of things in my freezer.

xx
    GC 2011
    Jan £43.45/£40.00 Feb £55.14/£55.00 Mar £64.88/£120
    I MUST KEEP POSITIVE!!
    Time you enjoyed wasting, was not wasted (John Lennon)

• cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 15th Feb 11, 10:09 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Well, after a visit from my school friend over the weekend, i did get some food in which i wouldnt have necessarily bought had she not visited. £26 spent.... tut tut.
    Still well within budget though so i'm pleased with that. We have saved a lot this month! I usually do a big shop from Mr T each month at about £110, then top ups once or twice a week - about £160, plus money for lunch every day because we had lazily got out of the routine of making lunches = £250!! So i am so grateful for the ideas and support from this thread!

Made a batch of twinks hobnobs which went down EXTREMELY well. OH even asked if i could show him how to make them so he could have a go! err.... minor breakthrough!!

I have also just bought a slow cooker. Any advise on good cheap cuts of meat for slow cooking?

Muchos gracias amigos!!
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • cutiepieabf
    • By cutiepieabf 15th Feb 11, 10:21 AM
    • 344 Posts
    • 3,561 Thanks
    cutiepieabf
    Corned beef hash for tea tonight.

Had a look at the recipes on here and they differ somewhat from my version so thought i'd share...

- Boil your spuds and mash them. Don't forget seasoning but dont go overboard with the salt cos the corned beef is quite salty.
    - Slice your corned beef quite slim. Aim to get about 12 slices from your block (depending on the size of oven dish you're using but you need enough for two layers).
    - Place one layer of corned beef onto the bottom of the dish. Add layer of mash. Add another layer of corned beef. Add another layer of mash. Beat an egg and using a fork spread over top layer of mash. OR add grated cheese to the top.
    Pop in the over for 30-45 mins until golden brown on top.
    Serve with beans or peas.

This is how my Mum always makes corned beef hash and i love it!!

Voila!
    DFBX2016 #160 - £3550/£8800

DFBX2017 #160 - £0/£11,378

£0/7807 CapOne (0% PAID) £0/2776 Tesco (0% PAID)
    £820/820 HSBC OD (100% PAID) £0/£795 HSBC M/C (0% PAID)
    • SavingJane
    • By SavingJane 15th Feb 11, 10:34 AM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 7,315 Thanks
    SavingJane
    I had to pop to Mr T yday to get something extra for OH as Mr A was OOS when food shop came on sat and some fresh milk for LO and also picke up some stain remover liquid which was 1/2 price and with a 6month old we can never have too much lol

So have now updated sig with spends from last two days and stand at £113.17 for the month which is AMAZING for me, I can spend that in a week normally or less

When I got all the chicken off roast from sunday I managed to spilt it into FIVE bags so that's another 5 meals off the chicken.....amazing to think 1 large chicken could make 6 meals I would of never believed it

Now off to find a chicken pie recipe to give that a go, never made a pie before so should be interesting lol
    Mummy to Lewis Born Aug 10
    • Pinwheel
    • By Pinwheel 15th Feb 11, 1:08 PM
    • 63 Posts
    • 1,138 Thanks
    Pinwheel
    Hi everyone, I have just updated my signature after one biggish spend in Sains***** of £25.68 and a little on in L**l £1.39. The big one was some fruit, cheese, yoghurts, cereal, butter etc. and the other was milk and tomatoes. This leaves me with £54.01 to last until 25th. I've got lots of tins of tomatoes, chick peas, beans, some lentils and some frozen bolognaise in the freezer. I will need to buy toilet roll, fruit, veg, milk and maybe a chicken to make a few meals from next week. Fingers crossed I'll manage it even though it's half term next week.

It is surprising how much you can reduce what you spend by making meals from leftovers and not going shopping so often. I have always been careful but haven't recorded my spending properly before, I'm really pleased with myself and impressed with everyone on here!

PWx
    Oct GC £36.72/£220.00
    Sep GC £223.58/£220.00
    Aug GC £200/£200
    Jun GC £192.73/££220 - Jul GC £296.88/£220
    Apr GC £230.40/£200 - May GC £230.40/£220 -
    Feb GC £200.19/£200 - Mar GC £203.37/£200 -
    • runnerbean17
    • By runnerbean17 15th Feb 11, 1:17 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 2,498 Thanks
    runnerbean17
    Well spent £5.08 in C*-*P today taking me up to £180.52 - what was I thinking setting my budget at £200?

First time though and I have learnt loads. My freezer just under 1/3 full so I'm going to have to get it full somehow (esp cause the school hols are coming up!!) I have kept all my receipts and I'm only spending in cash and this really has made a difference.

Thanks to everyone on here for all the great advice
    Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend...

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

42Posts Today

3,092Users online

Martin's Twitter